[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't mental illness taken seriously by society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
Why isn't mental illness taken seriously by society?
>>
It's often invisible.
>>
File: 5465tryhg.jpg (48 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
5465tryhg.jpg
48 KB, 600x450
Because a lot of it is just bullshit.
People are too lazy to improve themselves so they give up and hide behind a 'mental illness'.

This is coming from someone who thought they were 'severely depressed' in high school.
>>
>>25050673
It is. You must live in a shitty nigger -tier society.
>>
>>25050673

Because people really don't give a shit about you, regardless of what type of illness you have.
>>
>>25050717
i was beaten almost daily by my alcoholic father since the age of 4 when he got out of prison

i was bullied all the way through school since first grade, i believe it was day 5 when it started.

i haven't had a single happy memory in the last 20 years, and its not like i have a lot of memories

i chose to isolate myself from the world and i am afraid of little sounds that happen outside, literally terrified of more than 3 people in the same place

its hard to function, this all feels alien to me, how do people manage this

i have to take a shitload of pills just to make my day bearable

and then there are people who say "no you are not sick, you just want to get high of pills" you are just faking it. i realy wish this was true.

even now after writing this i made myself the 4th coffee of the day and took a diazepam pill, because i got a shake in my legs by looking at the post button
>>
>>25050717
>'severely depressed' in high school.
yeah you were just an edgy faggot for sure
try being schizophrenic
>>
>>25050673
Because most of it is nonsense.

Also what are you talking about, it's definitely taken seriously by mainstream society. There are all kinds of government benefits, alternative schools, advocacy groups, etc.
>>
>>25052452

>4th coffee w/ anxiety issues

do i even need to say it?

congrats on creating your illness
>>
>>25052452
holy fuck
go to sleep and fucking grow a pair overnight
>>
File: qylqioch.jpg (239 KB, 729x1033) Image search: [Google]
qylqioch.jpg
239 KB, 729x1033
literally too easy
>>
File: 1406862685966.jpg (62 KB, 599x590) Image search: [Google]
1406862685966.jpg
62 KB, 599x590
>>25052468
>try being schizophrenic

Yup, time for the mental illness dick waving game.
>>
Because it's often hard to perceive and not as easily objectively tested for.
>>
Mental illness is a joke, that's why.
You create your own shitty little problems and then can't be fucked to try to fix it.
>>
>>25052562
Do you think everything is everybodies fault?
>>
It's because severely mentally ill people aren't the same as being an edgy depressed suburban adolescent with hormonal imbalances.

Actually crazy as fuck people are super obvious. Moping in your room and trying to act like your first world problems matter is pathetic.
>>
>>25052562
This, honestly.

>muh depreshunnn
>muh social anxiety
>>
>>25052562

Eh.it's a real thing though, you just haven't experienced it.

When you're abused by your parents most of your life, bullied in school, feel like killing yourself everyday and society views you as an autistic weirdo and you're not accepted by anybody, no matter how hard you try to be friendly...

It hurts man, you have no idea.
>>
>>25052602
In most mental illness cases, yes.
Especially when the person who is "sick" just mopes around all day thinking popping pills is gonna solve anything in the long run.
>>
>>25052654
It's all your fault and you didn't fix it though :^)
>>
Because physical illnesses are worse
T. Guy who caught viral myocarditis
Nearly died, it was fucking awful. My parents were crying, people kept visiting me in hospital, people thought I was going to die. Compare that to 'depression'
You're just like those tumblr users. Get a real fucking illness then complain about 'mental' bollocks
>>
>>25052654
Literally grow up, stop dwelling on your supposed shitty past.
Newsflash, hardly anyone gives a fuck what you appear as in society.
Do you ask them how what they think of you? Do you know for a fact they think that?
>>
Because every second female is "depressed" and on medication because Chad had dumped her that week.
>>
>>25052693
>people kept visiting me in hospital
Leave /r9k/ forever, normalfilth. You don't know what suffering is.
>>
>>25052737
Lel, ok senpai.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 404x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 404x434
>>25052724
I hate women so fucking much holy shit.

>women can be depressed too, silly!
>>
>>25052658
And how the fuck do you know that?
>>
Honestly I get where a lot of you are coming from but I hate it when peopke treat things like depression or anxiety as a meme illness. Yeah people who dont have either say they do but it sucks given I actually have manic depression and borderline autistic levels of social anxiety.
>Mother's side of the family is riddled with people with depression
>My mom is equally as suicidal as I am
>Literally can not truly enjoy anything
>"Some people have it much worse"
> Not being happy even though nothing is wrong
>Never seeing a future for yourself because you cant imagine living any longer
>>
>>25052973
lol just stop being so fucking depressing. go outside, talk to girls and fuck them, cant be too hard right? inb4 how do I do it? just be yourself my man, you can do it. I really don't understand the people who are depressed here lol, all you have to do is leave your house and socialize and try to be normal, its not so hard lololololol.
>>
Because people who actually don't have them run around and spout retarded bullshit.
>>
File: eipugIu.jpg (71 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
eipugIu.jpg
71 KB, 480x270
Shut up retard. Either get committed or kill yourself if lifes so hard.
>>
Cause most people don't suffer from any of them, so they think it's just a shitty legend for lazy people an attention whore.

If you think you just have to really try to get better to heal a mental illness then you clearly never had one.
>>
>>25052452
>bullied
stopped reading there
>>
>>25050673
Ignorance. All it boils down to.

Why accept empirical evidence that entities exist which go against your preconceived notions and beliefs of what exists in the world and how the world functions, when you can zealously deny everything that contradicts you?

This obviously goes far FAR beyond mere mental illnesses but you get the gist.
>>
because a lot of idiots claim it when they shouldn't

and a hell of a lot more people are willfully ignorant idiots
>>
>>25050717
ditto

Official diagnoses at 15: PTSD, ADD/OCD, dysthymia, GAD, "an emotional processing disorder"

At 18 I checked myself into a pysch ward for a schizoid break sort of thing

at 22 now I am in robust mental health. I still have an addictive personality and I still have major issues with willpower but fuck. I'm not who I was and it's not because of meds or therapy or anything but a lot of meditation and introspection, actually working on my issues when I noticed them, and FINDing and WORKing to keep a great partner who supports me
>>
You want to know why? it's because we have shit tons of fucking retards who go on facebook and twitter and other fucking cancerous social media sites and say "lol im so depressed i dont have a bf/gf or my mom didn't buy me the new iphone" or "haha lol i have anxiety so quirky lole xdDDDDDddD" so others dont fucking appreciate that people actually DO have these mental illnesses, and need help.

if you legit do have depression/anxiety/are a schizophrenic ect. then yes, that fucking sucks dick and you need to seek out help, and need to tell people that it's serious and not "just a phase" , but at the same time dont be a fucking mongoloid and try to one-up people like this >>25052468 fucking dipshit, because people are going to take you less seriously.

At the same time though, i feel like people need to be told to harden the fuck up. I'm willing to bet most of the cunts on here aren't even depressed or have social anxiety and just need a slap in the face and to stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Anyways, hope you liked that blog post :^)
>>
>>25052724

You're right in part but I don't think it answers the question - all sorts of female hysteria and lies about things like "wage gaps" get acted on. If it's in the female interest, no matter how insane, people are willing to reform society to service or fix that issue.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.