[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Here's a fun game to play!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: solipsism.png (54 KB, 236x226) Image search: [Google]
solipsism.png
54 KB, 236x226
I was a TA briefly and read quite a few papers.

It was pretty easy to tell which papers were written by girls since the amount of first person pronouns were tenfold that of a guy's paper. The writing constantly circled around them like water in a toilet bowl, never veering off too far into objective territory.

Try it yourself at home!
>>
That's a trait of shitty expository writing in general.
Not stating there isn't a gender bias, but I've read tons of papers from guys that use improper personal pronouns constantly and unprofessionally.
>>
>>25027541
women suk awalt

lmbo
>>
>>25027541

There is absolutely nothing wrong with writing "I", "me", or "my". In fact, some papers are better for it.
>>
>>25027582
>>25027606
missing the point guys
>>
>>25027606

Only if used correctly, m80
>>
OP that example you posted makes really good use of first person pronouns. The story wouldn't be as compelling without them. Post some examples of what you're talking about or gtfo.
>>
>>25027606
>>25027582

itt people who cant write
>>
>>25027634
The second post misses the point, the first one >>25027582 addressed it head on. Summarised below, what they said in greentext so your tiny brain can understand it.

>Guys do it too
>There may be a gender bias with women doing it more
>but this is unconfirmed
>it's a trait of shitty expository writing
>>
>>25027695

Dante referred to himself frequently in Inferno. So why is it automatically bad to do so?
>>
>>25027726
La Divina Comedia is not a research paper.
>>
>>25027764

Knowing how to write well =/= writing a shitty high school research paper.

I'm fairly certain even Newton referred to himself. Not to mention William James, Plato, and all of the other great writers. So how can you justify saying that someone doesn't know how to write based on the bullshit rules some teacher in middle school told you about writing "research papers"?
>>
>>25027764
neither is OP's example, cum nugget
>>
I find it impossible to feel I'm being completely honest unless "it's always "me me me"".

I don't want to oversell my perspective and views with wording that seems objective.
>>
>>25027946
please relay the same information without pronouns to further demonstrate your point
>>
This is because women tend to express their opinions as personal, while men tend to present them as objective fact. You must keep referring to yourself if you are to humbly and honestly make the subjectivity explicit. Men on the other hand are either arrogant or liars.
>>
>>25028137
I'll pass on that tricky language game that achieves nothing.
>>
>>25028212
more pronouns. how indulgent.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.