[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shit book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
I have to read this book for class

Tell me /r9k/ why is The Catcher in the Rye the most beta book with the most beta main character regarded as a masterpiece?
>>
>>25021514
>>>/lit/
In short: It's a good book.
In long: You're a fucking faggot.
>>
you aren't supposed to like holden

the fact that you're feeling this way means it's doing its job properly
>>
>>25021514
Post a picture of your face to prove you aren't twelve years old.
>>
File: afrenchtrenchbomb.jpg (112 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
afrenchtrenchbomb.jpg
112 KB, 960x1280
>>25021585
I'm 18, this is for Senior English
>>
>>25021514
teen angst sells
>>
>>25021612
i read that book junior year fag
>>
Did you get to the part where he raped his sister, Pheobe
>>
>>25021612
Your face looks so squishy and feminine. I just want to pinch your cheeks.

Also, if all you focus on is 'hurr teen angst' and not the fact that this is America in the 50s with a kid that grew up during WW II, then you completely missed the mark.
>>
>>25021514
It's a robot book with a robot as the main character, written by a robot who went nuts from spending too many consecutive hours in combat. Salinger is based as fuck. Kill yourself.
>>
>>25021556
What's wrong with Holden? For the most part I agree with him.
>>
>>25021514
underage pleb spotted
kys
>>
>>25023327
So you too are a cynical, paranoid, immature brat who is afraid of growing up?
>>
>>25021514
it perfectly captures teenage angst.
>>
>>25021556
i identified with holden and liked him very much.

if you don't then you are a normie and should get out.
>>
>>25023403
Where the fuck do you think you are?

robobot
>>
>>25023403
that describes everyone here extremely well, so yes
>>
>>25021612
fat faaaaaaaag

oc
>>
Underage highshooler asking for homework advice the thread.

Sage and reported.
>>
>>25023562
>>25023575
shit, forgot about that for a second :^)

I wonder if people on this board relate to Humbert Humbert, too.
>>
>>25023403
Absolutely retarded way of describing Holden. He definitely is cynical, uncomfortable with many aspects of the society he lives in, and oftentimes unable to be happy at all because of his constant awareness of the "phoniness" that surrounds him, but does that make him a brat? Definitely not. Everyone should be able to relate to Holden at some time in their life, if not many times, and if not, you are a sad normie who overlooks or embraces the many strange and often upsetting ways in which humans choose to interact and think.
>>
>>25023778
You're a fag, Holden is a whiny bitch. Garbage book
>>
>>25023327
Whiny cunt that bitches about everything and everyone
>>
>>25021514

I'm no expert on this, and I hardly read much of it myself

From what I can tell, it does a really good job giving us a unique narrative that delivers the confusion of being a teenager through a fairly unlikable character.

There's a lot going on in this book, and it had an impact on society. Motherfucker killed John Lennon over this shit. It resonates with some people really hard.
>>
i fucking hate when people say "the protagonist is so unlikeable, they have character flaws!"

what the fuck do you want? a plucky mary sue with no flaws?

flawed characters are INTERESTING. just because you can't self-insert or root for them doesn't make them a bad protagonist. people fuckin say this about evangelion too. hurr shinji is so whiny and unlikeable! THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE. HE HAS FLAWS AND HAS TO OVERCOME THEM.

holden is a SHIT. and over the course of the book, you get him grappling with the fact that he's a shit. if holden was a chad, there wouldn't even fucking be a book.
>>
>>25021514
There's a reason it's read in high schools, because Holden is pretty much your average angsty teen who thinks he's smarter than everyone but also incredibly scared and anxious about things. I can understand why someone who first read it as an adult would hate it, but I think most young people can relate to Holden in some way.
>>
File: 354323.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
354323.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>highschool teaches kids to hate books & reading
>>
File: 1449459180180.gif (44 KB, 711x885) Image search: [Google]
1449459180180.gif
44 KB, 711x885
>>25025098
>reading a book in high school
>really enjoy it
>JEEZ ANON THIS BOOK SURE IS GAY HUH?
>o-oh yeah, totally gay
>>
>>25023439
It encapsulates some of the more turbulent aspects of youth, yes, but Holden's character was overly self-destructive and whimsical which aren't necessarily qualities that model your average teenager. Although, this is from an era several decades ago so maybe that was the common mentality amongst teenagers then; or perhaps my perception of juveniles could just be off.
>>
>>25025050
>flawed characters are INTERESTING
No shit. Anybody who disagrees with that is a moron. However it still doesn't change the fact that the protagonist is a little bitch.
>>
>>25025229
>the protagonist is a little bitch
that doesn't make it bad

he goes through an arc
>>
>>25025050
Well yeah, an MC that embodies nothing but positive characteristics would make for a dull read/watch depending on the medium. The problem arises when the recipient of a story can't relate because the character is facing these mundane problems that are seemingly too complex to be resolved without taking the entire fucking book to do it
>>
File: absolute trash.jpg (203 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
absolute trash.jpg
203 KB, 1200x1600
Because it was the first to put a beta to words. Not that I'm particularly fond of it myself.

I'm no robot, and no full cyborg either. As easily as I can pass for being a full-on normie, there's quite a bit I learned about the world before Holden and Salinger waltzed into my junior high-school English class to tell me what an oh-so-horrible place the American teenage world apparently is.

Holden isn't a character I can fully sympathize with. He's a tragic character, someone who honestly deserves better circumstances than life handed him. He deserved a living brother, better parents, a world that realizes what mental health is and how to treat it. That much, I can empathize with.

But his circumstances don't stop and end with externals. There ARE things he can change, that he can work on to make his life for the better. Starting with not being such a whiny bitch.

He's thoroughly self-destructive, cynical, angsty, stuck so far up on sexual hangups that he begins to resemble a suffocating whale. He wants to relate to people, but refuses to try thanks to self-fulfilling prophecies of his own. He's an adult by half the world's standards but hasn't figured out yet that life isn't a static exhibit. It's something dynamic, something uncontrollable and just as often wonderful as it is awful.

And then there's the "phonies". His "discovery" that people put up a false facade, that quite a few individuals in the world are heartless and soulless pricks is treated like the Revelation of fucking John. (How much this reminds you of /r9k/ is up to your personal experiences) Welcome to reality, 'lil bitch. I learned the kindest, humblest people you know can turn out to be savages and monsters at the drop of the hat, years before Holden did. And I also learned that this fact is not the end of the fucking world. I'm only sorry that it took him this long to learn the depths don't erase the heights.

Again, I'm not a usual robot. But it's my few cents on the matter.
>>
People don't like when they see themselves represented truthfully in fiction.

It's like when Neon Genesis Evangelion first came out in Japan. All the anime-loving otakus HATED it, because they love to self-insert as the hero and it showed realistically what would happen if you took your average otaku loser and made him the hero of a mecha show. It all goes to shit. It's brutally honest, much like how Catcher in the Rye is brutally honest about how much of an angsty whiny faggot teenagers can be.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.