[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I noticed that robots are pretty miserable in here, so why don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 21
File: 1449448660956.jpg (148 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
1449448660956.jpg
148 KB, 1111x597
I noticed that robots are pretty miserable in here, so why don't we have a discussion on happiness?
What is happiness and how can we get it?
>>
It's a delusion
you get it by being dumb
>>
>>25015814
Why'd you delete the other thread?
>>
>>25015843
Why do so many edgy fedoras believe this?
>>
jerking off is the only joy i experience which is why i do it multiple times a day
>>
File: 1405100027586.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1405100027586.gif
2 MB, 300x300
i actually feel really happy all the time, for no explainable reason, been like that all my life
>>
Weirdly good timing. Today I was considering the possibility that I've been living a horribly inauthentic life that clashes with my own person values. I believe this is probably the root case of my misery, my drug and alcohol abuse, and my social isolation. The simple fact that I own a car is proof of that. I was tricked in to believe that I need one to survive, but I fucking hate cars and never wanted one because I didn't want to pollute the environment that way. I'm eating meat, but I was vegetarian for seven years for more, ethical, and health reasons up until two years ago. I'm working a meaningless job for fucking pennies. I'm being exploited. I just feel like the way I'm living isn't how I am supposed to live.
>>
File: 1417891937184.jpg (115 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1417891937184.jpg
115 KB, 800x600
>What is happiness and how can we get it?

Happiness is an emotion you experience in those brief moments where life is good for you.

It's a temporary feeling by its very nature and any attempt to make it a prolonged one is futile.
>>
>>25015910
Most edgy fedoras have this unearned belief that they are smarter than most people.
>>
protip : you can't actually feel happy and be aware of it

if you are aware that you are happy, you are not happy, the feelings gone
>>
Read Tolstoy: A confession. Work out, meditate. Create positive habits.
>>
>>25015910
>>25016053
If you want your opinions to gain value rather than lose it, not speaking in memes is a good start.
>>
>>25015999
iktfb
I was raised vegan, but sometimes I eat meat and cheese that's around the house cause there's nothing else
neet life

At least I'm not being inauthentic with myself other than that
I'm just doing nothing at all, neither authentic nor inauthentic
Still feels bad
>>
>>25015988
you're a lucky duck
I haven't been that way since I was a kid or since I had a bf
>>
File: 1427648626408.jpg (24 KB, 317x432) Image search: [Google]
1427648626408.jpg
24 KB, 317x432
>>25015814
i have come to the conclusion that i will never be happy until i leave this place

i've been here since i was 14, in 2011. i grew up with it, my views were molded by it. I, too, melted into the grotesque amalgamation of memes and reality that this place is

they used to be separate, and now they've become intertwined and you can't tell whats real, whats bait, whats a troll, and whats not. the bait can be half true, and the truth can be half memes.

it's madness

the only way to escape it is to stop coming.

dont know if i can do it
>>
>>25015814
By finding something to take pride in, working to make yourself the best you can be, and making goals and achieving them. Become independent and self-reliant, expect help from nobody and build your own life. This will give you confidence, the kind nobody can take from you.

Along the way do things that make you happy, and try to find like-minded individuals who share your interests and goals.

Take care of yourself, try to eat a balanced and nutritious diet, and be active. Indulge from time to time, but in moderation, (junk food, alcohol, masturbation, weed, ect.). Moderation teaches you self-discipline and accountability, keeps you from falling into negative patterns of behavior, and makes those aforementioned vices all the sweeter when you DO decide to indulge.

Stay busy and productive. Don't stagnate or spend consecutive days doing nothing of value in relation to your goals. You will become depressed, jaded, angry, and will gain nothing other than fat around your midsection and gray cells in your brain.

Experience everything you can, and take in as much of this life as possible. Don't compare yourself to others, as they have led a completely different life from you and face unique challenges of their own. Take risks from time to time, so long as it means you're moving forward. When something doesn't work, keep moving forward with relentless tenacity in spite of it. Smile in the face of the darkness of the world, and you will outshine it.

Accept that you are you, not anyone else. You could've been any number of things, any particle floating through the universe. Against all odds you have been graced with consciousness, and have the ability to explore and understand the world around you. Take advantage of this opportunity, for it is finite.

Oh, and get off /r9k/. Don't end up like this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=hGpMLIayQEo
>>
>>25016069
I disagree, I can both feel happy and be aware I am happy at the same time.
Even a child can.
If you can't you are probably emotionally retarded.
>>
>>25015814

By making a fap thread instead.
>>
>>25015814
Let's take /r9k/ and move it somewhere else
>>
Thoughts on negative/enlightened hedonism and Epicureanism.
>>
By being born with good genetics.
>>
Happiness and sadness doesn't exist. All that exists is matter, materially, and perception of the future as desirable and undesirable at a given point in time, abstractly (wanting/not wanting for something to happen). Happiness/misery are not real concepts.
>>
>>25016259

see you five years from now. :^)

t. a man who has been on this website since the beginning.
>>
Happiness is a lack of fear and desire, and an understanding of one's place in the universe. We can approximate this through certain activities -- orgasm, substance abuse, exercise, therapy, meditation.

It's one reason suicide is so attractive to some. We'll no longer fear or desire anything, and our component chemicals will be reintegrated into the whole. Of course, meditation works just as well. It's scientifically proven, and -- assuming that you're doing it correctly and often enough -- can improve many aspects of daily life
>>
>>25016489
No such thing as "enlightened hedonism". Hedonism is the most blue pilled ideology. Its pursuit inevitably backfires at one point where you'll wake up feeling uncannily miserable...
>>
>>25016523
Happiness has very little to nothing to do with genetics, unless you think that depression is primarily genetic.
>>
>>25016611
Happiness has everything to do with destiny.
>>
>>25016427

maybe you are satisfied about your life at on point and you can be aware of it

but happiness is a state where you feel so at peace you are not even thinking about what is happening

you can try and say "i was happy", or "that moment was great" etc but that is not the same thing

when you are happy you are caught in the moment
>>
>>25016489
kill yourself. there's your lack of suffering/avoidal/eudomania. dumbest shit I've ever read.

happiness to me is a stupid word. it has too many connotations and means different things to different people (i.e. like 'happy with your life' which means job gf, house etc, or some sort of continous emotional but not really state you're int)

I just say pleasure. what is pleasure? pleasure is, any experience which if, say a god came to you and said I can shave this aspect of your conscious experience away into nothing, or I can let it continue, and you decide to let that experience continue (eg, like the feeling in your legs), then that is a pleasurable experience.

pleasure is any experience which you want to keep undergoing. pain the opposite.

being a hedonist of course i use opiates daily because far as I can tell they're the best way to bring your baseline happiness up. 110mg methadone daily.

on top of that, do things. movie theater friends etc bla bla. car

I chase pleasure because I choose to value it
>>
>>25016569
Airy fairy shit, you can't really live that way. Stop fearing certain things and they will defeat you, stop desiring and you will never grow. So what's the solution?
>>
Anime
Vidya
Books

Fiction is the only happiness allowed to Autismal Robots.

Behold, Unlimited Beta Works.
>>
Becker comes to mind. he basically argues that the human conidition is miserable and if one were to be aware of it, he would be filled with constant anxiety and depression. the only way to not feel those things is either to become unaware (distractions, restriction of consciousness), or participate in some sort of hero system (cultural sucess, religion, etc)

Becker claims depression is just the state when an individual's hero system collapses and he is constantly reminded of his creatureliness and mortality
>>
>>25015814
>tfw bipolar
>tfw random burst of happiness followed instantly by random burst of suicidal thoughts
>>
File: 1449241940401.jpg (25 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
1449241940401.jpg
25 KB, 600x455
>>25016721

so you let your urges control you

well, maybe you should have been an animal, like a dog, or a pig
>>
>>25016581
So you don't know what negative hedonism or epicureanism is.

I swear their are a group of people, where the word hedonism is a trigger word or something, and they then stop paying attention to context, shut down thought, don't bother to read any further, and then just get really bent out of shape.

You can't talk about the nature of happiness without discussing the first philosopher to really study and live the subject. And whose findings worked so well people lived by them for hundreds of years.
>>
>>25016767
>Stop fearing certain things and they will defeat you, stop desiring and you will never grow. So what's the solution?

Well, the reply to proponents of Buddhist 'meditation' is the sophistry that 'you should use meditation in moderation'. Namely, they basically say that 'meditation', letting go of fear and desire, is good, except it's not good when it's done to the point that it is bad (a tautology). Also known as 'the middle path'. So basically, they go along with something that results in a greater likelihood to be defeated and stop your growth, except that they comfort each other that 'it's legit, because we're supposed to stop as soon as there begin adverse effects' -- and experience shows they hardly tend to stop and look if those adverse effects, those you described, have actually happened. A sad case of self-delusion.
>>
>>25016907
>the reply to
*the reply of
>>
>>25016767
Why is here better than there? Growing better than remaining as you are? Feel free to engage in any way you wish, but prepare yourself for heartbreak every time the ocean washes away your sand castle
>>
File: 1449441582890.jpg (62 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1449441582890.jpg
62 KB, 550x550
Something interesting just crossed my mind. You know how people always say "This too shall pass" when giving advice for bad life experiences? It seems to work mentally. So what if we apply the same to neutral or positive life experiences?
>>
>>25016907
Who else is there to delude us, if not ourselves?

Already the great doubt weighs heavily upon you. Sacrifice your fears to the god you have created and be redeemed
>>
>>25017030
>So what if we apply the same to neutral or positive life experiences?

You get rational.

A particular subeffect can be that you're more likely to approach suicide rationally, but you don't need to be suicidal at all; it just begins to factor in.
>>
File: 2_lovers_embrace.webm (867 KB, 359x202) Image search: [Google]
2_lovers_embrace.webm
867 KB, 359x202
>>25015814
Happiness is going peacefully in the cold tundra after intimately getting to know your one true love. You slowly slip away as she embraces you tightly, your friends and pet looking on in envy.
>>
>>25017030
Change is the only constant. It is always now. There are no other people and nothing ever happens
>>
>>25016834
We're already animals, biologically and behaviorally in a big way. Look at how most people are living. When I "discovered" that people are animals basically I fell into a deep depression and that was at 13 years of age.
>>
>>25015814
My happiness is my lonely room.
My happiness is my games.
My happiness is my anime.
My happiness is my waifu.
my happiness is my books.
My happiness is my bubble.
Please do not break it. Its what keeps me afloat.
>>
>>25017030
Dude EVERYTHING ends. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

"Good", "bad", "advantageous", and "disadvantageous" are all human concepts. A meteor does not care if it is nearer to or farther from the sun, and a drop of water does not differentiate between being alone or in an ocean. Only humans care about such trivial things.
>>
>>25017168
>>25016776

Agree. This is how my shitty unhappy downward spiral started as well.
>>
>>25017235
>purports to point out the irreality of concepts such as 'bad' or 'disadvantageous'
>uses 'trivial' fucking sentences later
>>
File: 1439929459333.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1357) Image search: [Google]
1439929459333.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1357
I'd say truly not being afraid of dying at any moment is something that greatly increases your chances at being happy.
And, I repeat, truly believing it on a deep level, not just on a pseudo-philosophical level like many people do(like, not being afraid of the supposed nothingness after it but still fearing it IRL).

Say, I think being able to explore the world alone with a backpack and almost no money is probably one of the best experiences you can do, especially from a spiritual point of view, but not anyone is ready to take such a step. There's a shitloads of fears and consideration in the way, and the ultimate one is suffering and death.
>>
>>25017261
>getting mad at concepts
>>
>>25017261
Contradictions and hypocrisies everywhere

My my
>>
>>25017168
Why did you expect anything different? It is in an animal's nature to say that he
Is higher than other animals
>>
File: 1450112050392.jpg (173 KB, 794x767) Image search: [Google]
1450112050392.jpg
173 KB, 794x767
>>25015814
It's when you're in a place you want to be, with things you like, and someone you love.
I have achieved 1 out of 3. Because I like my things. But I hate where I am, and I have yet to feel true love for someone
>>
File: 1449458916745.jpg (12 KB, 194x178) Image search: [Google]
1449458916745.jpg
12 KB, 194x178
>>25016907
So then the actual path to happiness would be having A LOT of fear and a lot of desire? The opposite of Buddhist doctrine?
>>
>>25016633
No it is a state of mind. If you learn to control your mind, you can learn to control your mental states, and you can chose to be happy.
>>
>>25016698
>is a state where you feel so at peace you are not even thinking about what is happening

What you are describing is bliss, not happiness. There is a difference. Look it up.

Words have meanings, learn them.
>>
>>25017359
>truly not being afraid of dying increases your chances of happiness

No, it increases your chances of dying.
>>
>>25017707
>not being afraid of dying = being careless
nice strawman downie
>>
>>25016721
Postive hedonism is like running on a hamster wheel while chasing a carrot that you just can't reach.

Negative hedonism is like stepping off the wheel and learning to enjoy what you got right here in this moment.

Let go of desire and experience true peace and contentment that you have never known.
>>
>>25016776
That is odd, because I find calm and at peace when I am in my natural "creatureliness".

It is the whole reason I go /out/ and why I am a naturist.

I think people would be way less wound up and shit if they did not pretend so hard that they are not beings of the natural world like everything else.
>>
Sounds like you need to look up stoicism.

Marcus Aurelius writing's is a good places to start.
>>
>>25017741
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Not being afraid of dying means you're "letting go" in some form or another of your life. Maybe you trust the other side, maybe you welcome the void. It's an active mindset that has consequences. How people view their death has a drastic impact on their ethics of life.
>>
Why is it much easier being sad? Being happy requires constant maintenance and effort. Being sad is just natural. No effort needed.
>>
>>25017594
The point is that it's OK to put your best foot forward, but one does not walk using only one foot.
>>
>>25018120
That is not a point, that is a empty platitude.
>>
>>25017926
Literally nobody ain't got time for that. Tell me what do I need to do.
>>
>>25017962
By not being afraid of dying you simply don't stop at that fear when you want to do something. You do it with the proper precautions, with a much higher risk taking mindset.
If you die, whatever, you didn't care. If you don't though, you get to experience your life at the fullest of your desires.
>>
File: 1440168666-20150821.png (278 KB, 684x1416) Image search: [Google]
1440168666-20150821.png
278 KB, 684x1416
>>25017770
>your view is like [irrational thing]
>my point of view is like [rational thing]

>>25017877
This. I love hiking because I love breathing and walking. Also, sleeping when I'm tired is divine.
>>
>>25017246
>>25017524

oh. so your capacity to reason is worth nothing? your capacity to self reflect? your imagination? your intellect?
this big brain of yours, it was just nature doint it for the lulz?

i see.

suit yourself. animal.
>>
>>25018049
I don't know what is wrong with you, being content is my natural state, and it is very very easy to make me happy.
It is pretty hard to make me sad, usually a pretty good reason.

It could be outlook or a matter of brain chemistry.
>>
>>25018222
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

get it now?
>>
>>25015814
If you want i can post soem Create Your Own Adventure from /tg/, there is one about gang raping spooky skellys
>>
>>25018153
Things only grab our attention when they're different. If you had no sadness, you wouldn't recognize when you were happy, and vice versa, just like if there were no low places there would be no high places.

If everyone was full of fear and desire, then nobody would notice it. If everyone was void of fear and desire, nobody would know they existed. But sometimes we have some fear, other times we have some desire, sometimes we have both, and other times none of either at all.

Fear and desire exist because they fluctuate, and the fluctuation is IT.
>>
>>25018344
Your statements are unfounded and unsupported.
Everything you say is empty.
>>
>>25018314
But it seems to me that you and your sect believes that struggle for enjoyment is undesirable. Running on a hamster wheel can be a lot of fun, and stepping off and resting for a while is can be very pleasant. Of course it is our right to prefer one to the other, but I don't think there is a fundamental difference between the two activities.

In fact, you owe a great deal of gratitude to the hedonists, because if it weren't for the constant background noise of hamster wheels running you wouldn't be able to enjoy your rest. Likewise, they owe you a great deal for being quiet, so that they can more vigorously enjoy their chasing.
>>
>>25018190
The risk-taking is more like not being afraid of suffering, not of dying. The latter has a greater scope of influence, because not fearing death doesn't mean you will get out of your comfort zone to pursue happiness. It may only mean you've solved an existential dissonance and freed a blockage.
>>
>>25018183
Go watch a youtube video on the topic then or something.
I bet they even have some with pretty pictures and shit to keep you amused til the end.
>>
>>25017096
is he kill?????????
>>
>>25018389
Fuck off, I can't rile people up with smoke if you go and blow it away like this.
>>
>>25018153
Correct.

>>25017594
>So then the actual path to happiness would be having A LOT of fear and a lot of desire? The opposite of Buddhist doctrine?

Yes, precisely. As I scrolled down, I was excited because I thought >>25018314 might describe it, but I was wrong. What Buddhism recommends is basically a narrow-sighted, short-term solution. Happiness is achieved by putting oneself on the treadmill of desire-attainment-disappointment/boredom-desire of something else again-... This way, while superficially you always are the 'same' average contentment ('oh, my life is pretty average'), in reality you amass more and more knowledge, competence, breadth of experience, which makes your life objectively fuller. Quality through quantity, so to say. Buddhists who 'let go' are emotionally stunted, afraid people who become indifferent and pretend that their 'thorough acceptance of life as it is and embrace of the present' is not an ersatz whereby one effectively, at the end of the day, merely manages to become moderately competent at meaningless socializing. True accomplishment comes through hardcore desire, e.g. to change other people, make them realize something, fix a wrong you loathe to see, or spiteful desire to prove someone wrong. Hatred (of wrong, of lie) is a necessary precondition for love (of truth, of right). Again, beware of the Buddhist sophistry whereby they're inundating you with their insidious claims of 'let go, give up desire, meditate every day, accept you for who you are, accept the world for what it is', only marginally and reluctantly followed with the fine print designed to calm your conscience, [fine print]...but not to the point that it might impair your drive/desire[/fine print]. The whole Buddhist manipulation is that they advocate degeneracy 'in moderation' knowing full well that in practice, the 'in moderation' bit is never abided.
>>
happiness to me is being self sufficient, making at least 40k a year, in a job that i can actually stand. little face to face human contact.
i'll have finally improved in my art, and be getting steady commissions / working with a studio.
>>
File: 12268432106900.png (840 KB, 1100x732) Image search: [Google]
12268432106900.png
840 KB, 1100x732
>>25015814
I look forward to the idea of running away soon. I haven't been able to find a job yet, and hopefully once I run away, i'll be killed and possibly raped by some creep on the streets, so I don't have to kill myself, and no one will feel guilty for not helping me.
>>
>>25016259
>dont know if i can do it
probably not t. '04fag
>>
>>25018516
In other words, this sounds cliche-y, but big happiness comes after big suffering caused by big hatred.
>>
>>25018242
He's right though, think about it. Almost everything that enables peoples' happiness is a result of hard work, either their own or those who support them.
Being a pathetic sack of shit, on the other hand, requires almost zero effort. It's by definition a defeatist state, even if it's rationalized by something like "I'm fighting against the system so I reject society and don't do anything meaningful" etc.
>>
>>25018421
I think you are confusing me for a stoic.
Really it is Epicureanism and a western secular version of zen that I personally follow.
I just put forth that Negative/enlightened hedonism is a better path.
In that path contentment is the default that is nearly unshaken by bad things, but you also fully enjoy the good in life when it comes without being chained by desire, always chasing more.
It is learning to be fulfilled in each moment, and never wanting for anything when basic needs are satisfied.
>>
>>25018654
>In that path contentment is the default that is nearly unshaken by bad things, but you also fully enjoy the good in life when it comes without being chained by desire, always chasing more.

Note: this is exact example of 'advocate degeneracy 'in moderation' knowing full well that in practice, the 'in moderation' bit is never abided' I meant in >>25018516. Just so that you know what to look for.
>>
>>25018516
This sounds like LaVeyan Satanism is what you are pushing.

I am not saying that in a derogatory way if I am wrong. It just sounds like what they preach when it comes to happiness.
>>
>>25018577
Why so pessimistic? Please explain your situation.
>>
>>25018519
What kind of art do you do?

[sorry for being off topic]
>>
File: bobby.jpg (7 KB, 200x209) Image search: [Google]
bobby.jpg
7 KB, 200x209
Happiness is a meme
You can get that dopamine and serotonin rush for a short time, but it's not sustainable in the long run. You may feel happy for a few days or even months but everybody inevitably falls back into that hole.
>>
>>25018699
The actual red flag is 'in moderation'. Remember that whenever 'in moderation' is said (a very common context is drugs), it renders the whole claim meaningless by definition (x is harmless by definition). So you need to ask yourself, what is it that the speaker wants you to brush away, forget about? This is the real danger. The more often 'in moderation' is invoked, the more dangerous the thing.

>>25018764
I've only been mildly aware of it, but it is kind of cool to be told one's viewpoint is Satanic.
>>
>>25018856
>The more often 'in moderation' is invoked, the more dangerous the thing.

(You might also want to remember that 'in moderation' is equivalent to burdening one's free will -- 'it's harmless as long as you control its effects', 'it is just a tool', and so on. In either form, it is an artificial black box whereby any adverse effects are nullified to begin with. Very convenient for religious people.)
>>
>>25018651
Dude, sun light warming up my pillow on a cool day, and eating sweet things makes me happy. It is not hard, nor does it take hard work to be happy.

Bad things actively have to happen to me to make me sad.

For whatever reason some people just don't want to be happy, so they choose not to be and give excuses and act like it is totally out of their control and so hard.
Unless their is a problem with your brain or something, you can control your mind and their for control your mood.
>>
>>25018806
right now all i can draw are really basic poses / backgrounds.
>>
>>25018856
>The more often 'in moderation' is invoked, the more dangerous the thing.

...and the more addictive. (sage)
>>
>>25018699
totally taking what I said out of context to make a bullshit point that has nothing to do with what the fuck I said.

Let me rephrase.

You don't have to go full Vulcan but you should take control of your mind and emotions if you want to be happy and at peace. By fully enjoy the good in life I am not talking about drugs or degenerate shit and you probably know it. I am more or less saying asceticism is wrong and will not make one happy.

You are so full of shit it is almost funny.
>>
>>25018935
That's just superficial petty stuff to practice gratitude for. Sure they're designed to feel nice, but that's the problem, they're very fleeting. So it's not a general state of happiness, it's just feeling good one moment and different in the next. And you're relying on external factors to validate your internal state which is arguably a precursor to unhappiness. Am I not right?
>>
>>25018699
>>25018856
>>25018931
>>25019031
samefaging so hard
>>
>>25018841
This. I seriously believe that happiness doesn't exist. It's literally a fairy tale. That's my conclusion.
>>
>>25019184
You just pretended not to understand what I'm saying. You again are relying on connotations of 'moderation in CONTROL of YOUR MIND', 'moderation in BEing UNSHAKEN', 'moderation in UNCHAINing YOURSELF FROM DESIRE', and so on, so to impair people's drives. It is nearly fine; it takes courage to be explicitly evil, as opposed to insidiously evil.
>>
What is pleasure? Where did it come from? Who invented it?
>>
>>25019252
In none of those posts did I imply I didn't make the rest.
>>
>>25018314
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill
Well, you heard it here first, folks.
>>
>>25019198
Not really, like I said before I am content by default.
Forcing myself to be happy all the time internally is exhausting and feels fake.
But because I am already content, any positive stimulus is enough to push me over the threshold into a state of happiness.
Happiness is epidermal by nature. I just enjoy the moments as they are.
>>
>>25018841
>>25019256
Just because something is temporary does not mean it is not real and does not exist.
>>
>>25018577
How far you planning to go? I want to leave the country before I bite it. I don't want anyone to know what happened.
Pretty hard because I don't have $5 to my name and no passport.
>>
>>25019263
I think the problem is diffrent goals and expectations.

The people you are arguing against goals are contentment, with little bumps of happy now and again whenever they passively come to them.

What you want is THE BIG SPIKE OF HAPPYNESS and you believe that paying a price of suffering, sometimes a great deal, is worth it if you get the prize at the end. Then once you got it, it is on to the next even BIGGER MOUNTAIN OF HAPPINESS!

So really it is a clash between "chill and steady is best" VS "Go big or go home"
>>
To me, happiness is just being able to shut my brain off for awhile. Happiness isn't possible for me in the world as it exists, so being somewhere else for awhile is true happiness
>>
>>25019507
Not that guy, but I also plan on doing it soon. I'm in Eastern Europe. Maybe we could do something, arrange something, I don't know? I don't wanna be alone on this.
>>
>>25019263
Are you saying you think moderation is evil and everything should be taken to extremes?

If you are that is stupid and unhealthy on a objective level.
>>
>>25019745
What do you mean by "shut my brain off for awhile"?
>>
>>25019847

No.

I'm saying that the Buddhist -- and normie -- as if it wasn't the same group -- fallacy (sophistry, really) is pushing harmful things, such as 'meditation', while annulling their adverse effects by the 'in moderation'. At the risk (not really) of you crying 'what?! are you comparing meditation to cancer?!': imagine people telling you that cancer is fine as long as it doesn't involve death, impairment, or suffering.
>>
File: 1448085288483.jpg (129 KB, 869x943) Image search: [Google]
1448085288483.jpg
129 KB, 869x943
>>25019791
I've had my sights on germany for a month now. Scraping up what travel knowledge I need. Visas and the like.
Tourist visas apply if you have proof of an itinerary and a flight back within the visa period.
Lot of planning desu to die there, but i'm willing to put in some amount of work.

I figure the whole thing tops off at $700 or a little less. there are $500-600 tickets to frankfurt on kayak and i'd need $50 for a passport and $50 or less for a hostel to reserve to make it look like an actual trip. I'd ditch my ID when I got there and find a way to die. I've got a nice little plan alpha in the end to do before I split also. It's nothing violent, just a little gag/memento for the lols.

I've had my focus on a semi-crucial part of my planning to see how or if I can bring a toy gun to the country. Plane policy and all that. If I can i'll see if I can an hero by someone else if I can't get my hands on a reliable meaning. If you're serious i'd be willing to go and compare notes with you.
>>
>>25019954
FUCKING KEK AT PIC RELATED THAT GAME ATE MY SOUL 3000 HOURS
>>
>>25020000
Nice get. Is this DA: inquisition? I don't look into what I save.
>>
>>25020000
Quads buxxxxxxxx
>>
>>25019871

Escapism. Video games, good TV shows (they often feel more real than real life does), books, anything to take me out of being me for awhile
>>
>>25020020
Dark Souls II
>>
>>25019923
Wait, are you that dumbass that gets super butt hurt in the meditation threads?

Going on and on about how harmful meditation is despite all the evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>25019954
>>25019791
What the fuck? Are you ignoring this thread? Why aren't you even trying and giving life a chance?
>>
>>25020078
I see.
In my experience and from what I have heard, escapism works for a while, then it stops working as good, then it just stops working all together.

You got a tough road ahead in the form of a existential crises that only you can solve for yourself. But I say enjoy it while you still can.
>>
>>25020283
>despite all the evidence to the contrary

Aww, you Buddhists just love to lie that about me, don't you.

But then, it is rather sad to see whom this lie of yours, that 'I ignore findings of studies', apparently targets -- people who are retarded enough to not notice the glaring confusion in your post, namely that a study can find a 'benefit' or 'harm' of anything.
>>
>>25020369

The trick is to rotate mediums every once in awhile. By the time something gets old, something else feels fresh again

Also, it helps that there's just nothing for me when it comes to real life. I'm both not wanted in this world, nor is the makeup of the world designed for someone like me to even do decently well.
>>
>>25019954
Uh, I thought you were just looking to start completely anew somewhere else. I don't want to suicide, still risky as fuck to flirt with it. Are you open to anything else or just bent on dying?
>>
>>25020405
so it is you then

Also, everyone that meditates is not buddhist.
I just though your crazy ranting style was familiar.
>>
>>25015843
Every emotional experience is a delusion except emptieness

>>25015910
hurr durr dismissing things with ad hominem is easier than actually rebutting them isn't it?
>>
>>25020362
>What the fuck? Are you ignoring this thread?

Holding my edge. Oh boy i'll tell you. I've lost count, or maybe I never started to keep score ever. But I'm not sure how many things I been this sure about in my life.
But man, having a firm plan of my demise is the most productive thing i've done in the last 4 months.

>What is happiness?
I'll ignore my personal subjective opinion nagging at me.
I'll use a less risky buzzword. What do I want? Peace, nothing.
I want the complete opposite of something. And how do I get it?

I'm pretty sure you can work that one out.
>>25020467
If I wanted anything else at this point in my life i'd be doing a disservice to myself and anyone who personally knows me. If this changes anything you had in mind I completely understand.
>>
>>25020460
> I'm both not wanted in this world, nor is the makeup of the world designed for someone like me to even do decently well.

Hit me right in the feel with that one. I know exactly what you mean and know that feel well. It is just that I found martial arts and crafted my own philosophy together from bits and pieces that I though might work for me.
>>
>>25019923
Dude, I am not actually a Buddhist, it just so happens that it is philosophy similar to negative hedonism and epicureanism.

Meditation is not harmful and moderation is not harmful.
You sound like a crazy person.

And I don't know what the fuck you have against meditation. It is scientifically proven to be be good for you.
>>
>>25020405
>people who are retarded enough to not notice the glaring confusion in your post, namely that a study can find a 'benefit' or 'harm' of anything.
not sure if retarded or actually insane
>>
>>25020545
>What do I want? Peace, nothing.
>I want the complete opposite of something. And how do I get it?
Meditation, sensory deprivation, large dose of K?
Death does not necessarily have to be the answer. It can be said to be one of many options.

Though in the end it is your life, and if you have no other obligations then it is yours to end if you so see fit. I just hope that if you decide on death then it is a rational decision and not one exclusively based on emotion/feels.
>>
File: 1448312375312.png (34 KB, 196x197) Image search: [Google]
1448312375312.png
34 KB, 196x197
>>25020922
That was a rhetorical question. If i'm lucky I won't be of this plane not a year longer.

It's not really a sad thing or tragic all together.
It's a sense of completion i've stumbled across. I've done enough what i'm comfortable with. To stick around any longer would be a burden for myself and anyone involved.

You're giving me solutions to problems I don't have. I don't have a problem.

I have. An agenda. The rest of anything else is just problematic. Although I appreciate your advice, concern and expertise if present.
>>
links I found months ago in my book markers related to this topic.

www.pursuit-of-happiness.org/history-of-happiness/epicurus/

http://www.spring.org.uk/2007/12/hedonist-philosopher-epicurus-was-right.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism
>>
>>25018226
Why do you think you're special? Mummy? Nicey churchman? Old bookie?
>>
>>25021082
I guess all I have to say then if peace be with you, and do your homework well so as not to botch it.
>>
>>25015814
Drugs, financial success, sexual success, and of course being socially accepted.

These make >99% of humans happy, unless they have some sort of chemical imbalance.
>>
>>25015814
I believe the closest a robot can get to happiness is being comfy. Comfy bedroom/apartment, comfy clothes, good food and no anxiety/stress.
>>
>>25021623
If you believe that bullshit then you will never be happy

People have been studying happiness for years and guess what? the only thing you listed that is even partially true is being socially accepted. And all that means is not live in isolation, aka have a few friends or some family.
>>
>>25021883
You are surprisingly close to the mark on that one.

Add in a few friends, a fulfilling hobby or job, and a great fap now and again and you got all you need for a happy life provided you have the right mind set.
>>
>>25020405
Yes, you can find benefit in harm or anything. Just depends on your perspective. That is exactly what Buddhists literally preach, Stealth Buddha. We're not interested in your weird sectarian ramblings, churchy
>>
>>25015814
Its just a brain chemical to compel you to do anything.
>>
>>25021948
Happiness is just an emotion. Are you angry 100% of the time?

>People have been studying happiness for years
The "happiness" which you're referring to is a misnomer. The correct phrase is "Quality of life".
>>
File: 1448332407987.jpg (73 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
1448332407987.jpg
73 KB, 500x366
>>25015814
>tfw can go from being happy and laughing to being angry and sad in five to ten minutes flat

I hate this shit
>>
>>25022373
Humans dont care about happiness, they care about sadness as in humans hate being sad constantly so they try to live lives where sadness hardly occurs. Most humans who are socially awkward dont care until they can feel sad about their poor social skills. Sadness is the true cause of all human suffering and the greatest mental weakness of humans.
>>
>>25022383
Having emotions, or not being in control of them?
>>
File: 1441080913301.jpg (2 MB, 2905x2426) Image search: [Google]
1441080913301.jpg
2 MB, 2905x2426
>>25022383
>five to ten minutes flat
Try 30 seconds.
>Tfw I can't chuckle without a voice reminding me how fucked the scope of my perception about everything is in a gravely disembodied conscious thought inquiring "The fuck are you laughing for?"
>>
File: 1420439545918.jpg (184 KB, 960x905) Image search: [Google]
1420439545918.jpg
184 KB, 960x905
>>25015814
I don't know, but I know that I will never be happy until I can control myself. Self discipline would be the most important skill that I could develop. It will take a lot of work to build myself into the man that I want to be, but I have an intense desire to do nothing and I don't how to override that desire.
>>
Happiness is brain chemicals. It comes as a result of genetics and environment during development, as well as a response to currents situations.
>>
File: 1442372294425.png (22 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1442372294425.png
22 KB, 499x499
>>25022925
Best post.

upboat 4 u sir
>>
>look at bestgore.com regularly

>think about how the only reason I'm not one of the poor guys being executed or dying in a freak accident is due to luck and how I could have easily been one of them

>instantly feel happier

I'm happy with simply being alive and conscious desu senpai
>>
>>25016259
You are what you consume. Get out now.
>>
>>25015814
I don't know if i'll ever be truly happy
i guess it's not something everyone can obtain
>>
>>25016285
Great advice. Tune out the faggots here wallowing in their own self pity and at least read this.
>>
>>25017168
you didnt realize people were animals until 13? wtf nigga
>>
>>25017359
planning and doing anything is a big boost, from small projects or goals, to things like travel, etc.

cool photo
>>
>>25016427
autism is mroe than a meme you know
>>
>feel not happy
>browse r9k
>holy shit these whiny entitled faggots are pathetic
>feel better
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.