[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/social anxiety/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: fuck you.jpg (153 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fuck you.jpg
153 KB, 1920x1080
How you holding up f a m s?
>>
File: Eurythmics - Winter Wonderland.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Eurythmics - Winter Wonderland.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>24996287
not too well

at least I only have 1 final tommorow
>>
>Jon Lajoie

Holy shit I remember that guy
>>
>>24996338
how bad is your social anxiety?
I tried uni but dropped out when I virtually had a day long panic attack every day and was exhausted and couldn't even think before I got to class.
>>
File: 1438047958683.png (35 KB, 805x556) Image search: [Google]
1438047958683.png
35 KB, 805x556
almost cried in public when my parents took me to buy a new phone...
I'm 18. I dont now if it was anxiety or just an isolated incident I really hope it was
>>
I can't wait to graduate and be a wage slave for the rest of my days
>>
I don't know how to explain it
>>
>>24996287
As always, almost there
>>
>>24996287
Social anxiety does not exist. It is not a real disorder. All humans are inherently social, yes, even you. It is nonsensical to be scared of ordinary social interaction. All those who clain they are are just making excuses to be lazy and get out of fulfilling their societal obligation, or so they can mooch of others. "Sorry mom, I can't get a job, because of my anxiety!" "I can't get a girlfriend because of my anxiety" "I can't get any friends because of my anxiety". It is not real. It is an excuse for lack of effort on your part. Everyone feels "anxiety" and can get awkward in public. It is normal. It does not make you a special snowflake, and you do not need to be treated differently than anyone else. Get over yourself.
>>
>>24996641
>Everyone feels "anxiety" and can get awkward in public.

There's a huge difference between that and having a full blown panic attack with uncontrollable hand shaking and sweating/ inability to breathe because you have to go to a cashier. It's the same misunderstanding like depression is "being sad". You haven't experienced it and you simply don't understand.
>>
>>24996731
Panic attacks aren't real. They are common symptoms everyone experiences when nervous, people who pretend to have a disorder for sympathy just play up the symptoms for attention.
>>
>>24996807
>said the guy who's never had a panic attack

fuck off faggot. Go project your insecurities somewhere else.
>>
>>24996807
>They are common symptoms everyone experiences when nervous

>everyone is physically unable to talk or stop shaking when they go up to a cashier
>>
>>24996807
>They are common symptoms everyone experiences when nervous
extremely nervous
far more than mundane situations call for
>>
ITT retards taking the same b8 they take every single day
>>
>>24996848
Stop that right now. You are not "physically unable to talk or stop shaking". That is nonsense. You could talk perfectly fine if you wanted to and really tried.

>>24996844
I've never had a "panic attack" because they don't exist. Have I been nervous? Sure, same as everyone else. But I calmed myself, and got over my nerves to take care of the situation. You could do it too, "panic attacks" are all in the mind. You just need to make the choice to get over them instead of wallowing in it, and pretending you have a disorder to excuse your weakness.
>>
File: depressed-brain.jpg (145 KB, 493x335) Image search: [Google]
depressed-brain.jpg
145 KB, 493x335
>>24997051
Yeah. just like depressed people need a kick up the back side and to man up
>>
I decidednto go to the first day of my new job sober and had a panic attack. I made it three hours before i stood up and walked out. I have another job, but everyone there knows i use to make it through the day without freaking out. Slowly becoming an addict to fight my anxiety but at least i come off as semi normal drunk or high.
>>
>>24997079
Depression is a real mental disorder. It is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, such as neurons being less receptive to serotonin, or insufficiently producing serotonin. Social Anxiety is not a real mental disorder. There is no physical basis for it.
>>
>>24997136
My social anxiety stems from an inability to socialize normally due to depression.
Check and mate.
>>
>>24996403
>how bad is your social anxiety
Judging from tome of the stories I read here it could be much worse but idk. Usually whenever I speak to non-family members I blush really hard, sweat, shake, etc. Always getting gas, stuff like that. I keep to myself and stay focused on distractions like music and anime so it isn't so hard

>tfw this reply is way too late and the thread has moved on
>>
>>24997096
Yeah right, you're nothing but a degenerate drug addict. You're lying to yourself about your made up disorder so you can excuse your shitty behavior, but everyone around you knows the truth. All choices have consequences, and you will end up paying for your bad choices in the end, same as everyone else.
>>
>>24997051
>That is nonsense. You could talk perfectly fine if you wanted to and really tried.
Not really. If by "try" you been go through cognitive behavioral therapy, than yes. But someone with social anxiety just throwing themselves into situations without the help of therapy can actually make them worse, because of the negative feedback loop that they experience when they fuck up and over think it (and then fuck up again because of that overthinking). You really don't understand the psychology behind it
>>
>>24997187
Your shitty made up illness and my shitty made up disease are both bs if you want to play that game faggot. Your just too into yourself and need to get over yourself, i need to quit using drugs and alcohol. Both alcoholism and social anxiety are disgarded by the public at large.
>>
>>24997279
>But someone with social anxiety just throwing themselves into situations without the help of therapy can actually make them worse

You're just making excuses so that you don't even have to try.

>because of the negative feedback loop that they experience when they fuck up and over think it (and then fuck up again because of that overthinking)

So then just don't do that? What are you even afraid of? It makes no sense at all, what do you think is going to happen?
>>
File: 1421570469419.jpg (21 KB, 365x378) Image search: [Google]
1421570469419.jpg
21 KB, 365x378
>tfw too nervous to even post in this thread because people are being so mean

m-maybe some other time
>>
If you really have 'Social Anxiety", then how can you even post on this website? You do realize you are talking to other people right now, right? So then just do the same thing in real life. Problem solved.
>>
>>24997358
Yeah right. Answer this then: >>24997358 or are you going to conveniently get too "anxious" to respond?
>>
>>24996287
>tfw too nervous to ask my qt neckbeard neighbor for sugar
I feel like I'll spaghetti and mess up.
>>
>>24997358
>>24997388
meant to link to
>>24997362
>>
>>24997412
I barely ever post
>>
>>24997330
>You're just making excuses so that you don't even have to try.
Actually I'm informing you about some of the basics behind of the psychology of social anxiety, and how CBT is designed to help it. You can read it in the DSM-IV if you like

>So then just don't do that?
Do what, over think it? It just happens. The whole "cognitive" part of cognitive behavioral therapy deals with "bad thoughts" and how to stop them and replace them with good thoughts. You fail to understand that this isn't that people with social anxiety don't know what to do. It's not that they don't understand that they can be like "oh, wait I can just not shake and sweat when someone says hello to me? I didn't think of that". They have these responses that are wired into them because of a variety of different factors. It is a mental disorder that they have to fix with therapy.
>>
>>24997451
The DSM-V, I mean
>>
>>24997451
Sounds like an excuse to me. I'll bet if you were dying from hunger, and the only way to get food was to ask someone for it, then you would do it. Face it, you're only getting away with this because everyone is tolerating your antisocial behavior. If you really needed to, you would able to be as social as you needed.
>>
>tfw recently became a wageslave
>have to watch normies have fun and enjoy their lives 5 days a week
>>
>>24997527
>Sounds like an excuse to me.
Strange, considering I just showed you how it is a mental disorder

>I'll bet if you were dying from hunger, and the only way to get food was to ask someone for it, then you would do it
Correct, and that's true for almost anyone with social anxiety. Given a normal situation where they aren't starving, they would be less likely to ask for the food because they have a mental disorder which would prevent them from doing so as easily as someone without the disorder.
>>
>>24997051
mate i thought just like you until i got a panic attack from smoking weed, whenever i'm too tired or exhausted or don't feel good i get panic attacks, when I try to smoke weed i get in a full blown panic attack and I DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to go talk to someone or do anything at all beside laying down shaking.
>>
Does anyone thoughts go completely blank when they're talking to someone. Even if I willed myself to formulate an insightful thought about the conversation aloud in my head I can't. I just end up mimicking body language and saying a generic reply not one that I actually mean half the time just so it isn't awkward.

>in b4 I'm an autist
>someone please be able to relate
>>
>>24996287
I was able to sit down a the table and have dinner with my family. I managed to participate in conversation and for once didn't feel like an outcast.

It's a promising sign.
>>
File: 1448836538908.png (179 KB, 538x601) Image search: [Google]
1448836538908.png
179 KB, 538x601
>have to get school/job shit fixed
>trying to delay it since i dont want to talk with people
>mom is triggered that i dont do anything
>>
>>24997847
Yes I get that all the time. It sucks because you can never communicate the thoughts in your head, which are generally intelligent and interesting. Everyone just sees this boring person with a mopey visage.
>>
>>24997847
Same

I did some self-help CBT tapes, and they helped get rid of a lot of my anxiety and helped me deal. But my problem is that now that I can somewhat talk to people, I just can't think of what to say. Or if I do, I take too long to think if it's good enough to say. If I take too long to think about it then I can't say it at all, because then the timing will be weird and it wouldn't be natural.
>>
Who here /hasnt left their house in 2 weeks?/
>>
File: 1448321686207.jpg (49 KB, 672x492) Image search: [Google]
1448321686207.jpg
49 KB, 672x492
>it's another thread where morons feed a shitposter (you)'s
>thats exactly what he wants

Christmas time always sucks, lots of people coming over and stuff. I mostly stay home these days, too nervous to be all that productive.
>>
File: 5bj6yQY.jpg (89 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
5bj6yQY.jpg
89 KB, 500x375
>>24997893
>>24997895

I don't really want to talk to other people anymore at all. Haven't had a real relationship in three years. The ones I've had before went to shit because I couldn't really listen or communicate how I felt. What's the point in even trying.
>>
>>24997935
Went out today, quickly regretted it and rushed back home
>>
>>24998003
I just figure she's a person with social anxiety who hates herself, and is lashing out at others to make herself feel better. All are welcome here.
>>
>>24997847
That's not social anxiety, that's called talking to a boring person you have no shared interests with.
>>
>>24998088
That would imply that everyone or the majority of the people I talk to are boring. It much more likely that I am the one with a problem.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.