[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>have to learn a trade >either Welding,trucking,or heavy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: joo26.png (188 KB, 425x465) Image search: [Google]
joo26.png
188 KB, 425x465
>have to learn a trade
>either Welding,trucking,or heavy machine operator
what to do?
>>
>>24988136
stop the shitty jew memes
>>
Go for welding, it's good pay and truckers are gonna be replaced by self-driving trucks soon. Heavy machine operators also gonna be replaced sooner.
>>
>>24988136
choose one that is unique, pays well, and that is least likely to be automated in the next few years.
>>
>>24988136
it's all shit son.
>>
>>24988172
What's to stop robots from taking welding jobs?
>>
>>24988189

Welding is hard, the machines can't do it as well as humans(for now).
>>
>>24988183
what other ones senpai?
>>
>>24988189
Nothing, but it's pretty dangerous and bad for your eyes long term.

I've thought about learning welding and then doing underwater welding, can make 90k+
>>
File: 20151214_151917.jpg (434 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20151214_151917.jpg
434 KB, 1280x720
>>24988136
Welding pays the most but is more dangerous than the others.

Truck driving is going to take away almost any free time you have if you choose that and want to make good money.

Heavy machines just depends on the machine. I'm posting right now at work while I run heavy machinery.

Pic related
>>
File: 1362168269347.png (44 KB, 472x594) Image search: [Google]
1362168269347.png
44 KB, 472x594
welding is more universally useful, wider range of jobs available, you can get jobs in the oil or on a fishing boat or in construction or wherever the fuck there is metal which is everywhere as a welder, but heavy machinery has more job security, thanks to unions once you get a job driving a crane or whatever you'll be set for life, I'd still go with welding, there's no reason you can't learn both

trucking sounds awesome on paper but it's actually well shit

>>24988158
>>
>>24988287
Also I feel machines are more robot friendly, as I have to interact with a total of (0) people a day at work.
>>
>>24988317
>job driving a crane or whatever
this is what I had in mind. driving CAT tractors and the scoopers
>>
>>24988325
tell me more about the machines.
>>
>>24988584
They're ovens for thermoplastics, I can't really say much more as I'm under an NDA, I can say it's work that cant be replaced by machines, and I make pretty good money doing machine set-ups and basic math.
>>
>>24988229
thats...actually not true at all. Some of the best welding work in manufacturing is done by machines. The only reasons welders haven't been completely replaced is because it's kinda hard to lug around a mechanized welding machine in a construction site.
>>
Welding. Seems the most fun and well paid of the alternatives, and I can use the skills for hobby purposes too.
>>
>>24988959
are you welding? is it a good time?
>>
>>24988172
What about construction and electrician?

I got to do something soon with my life... ;_;
>>
trades are pretty hard to get into
>>
>>24989063
Why is this?

(just in case, here's more text)
>>
File: trump is a god now.png (275 KB, 253x408) Image search: [Google]
trump is a god now.png
275 KB, 253x408
>>24989063
really? Thanks to the gov I'm being thrown a scholarship for welding
>>
Machining is becoming a dying art

Trucking seems like it would be okay

If you can get an underwater welding cert you can make a lot of bank making pipelines
>>
>>24989077
dunno if it's different where you live but here in canada getting an apprenticeship is pretty difficult. there's like 2 ways of doing it, one is through a company that pays for your schooling (good fucking luck) and the other is through the union of whatever trade you're going into (again, good fucking luck being one of the 100 selected out of thousands)

you could also go to school for pre-apprenticeship training in the trade but that doesn't guarantee anything.
>>
>>24989118
Oh I misread your post. Idk about heavy machine operator
>>
>>24988136
Apparently you can make a fuckload of money as an underwater welder.
>>
>>24988172
>self driving trucks

wat
>>
>>24989153
people need to stop throwing this job around like it's easy to obtain. underwater welder is the unicorn of jobs in trades. it's rare af
>>
If you're smart enlist instead, you'll murder the ASVAB and can get a comfy chairforce position

If you're stupid than welding
>>
>>24989217
>than

loooooool
>>
>>24989217
>chairforce
how do I get in? I'm 25
>>
>>24989133
God that's fucking awful. Why the hell does the world insist on working this way? This is just so damn backwards. If a person is going to take up schooling/training for so long to specifically do one job they should never be denied the opportunity for that job.

That's not just a waste of a person's life. I would argue it's a waste of a more productive society as well.
>>
>>24988855
mass production welding is done by machine, but one-off or lower volume work is going to be done by humans for years as setting up a bot to do it is more expensive than hiring a human
>>
Probably welding.

A lot of welders in the oil patch here with their own trucks/rigs make 200+k a year if they contract.

But with oil in the shitter right now I wouldn't start with a trade anymore... in fact I got out of one to go to uni. Fuck being dependant on oil prices my whole life.
>>
>>24989247
I heard that to get into the airforce, you have to have some college background

>>24989217
I took the test for fun in highschool and got a 103. Earned some respect from chads after that
>>
I don't actually know what I'm talking about, but

>welding
Good pay, employable in lots of places, but tougher

>trucking
Mobile NEET life, probably good if you like audiobooks or something else you can do on the go

>heavy machinery operator
Pretty cool
>>
File: Four Holy Swords.png (374 KB, 1476x288) Image search: [Google]
Four Holy Swords.png
374 KB, 1476x288
>>24989167
Have no seen all the r&d on self driving vehicles? As far I understand they're pretty much as good as normal cars for standard use. by at least 2020 they're going to become more popular than segways, and they're definitely going to replace manual driving cars one day
>>
>>24989063
>tfw german
Trade schools and apprenticeships everywhere
>>
Go to community college and learn something really specific like medical lab tech or whatever you can complete in 2 years. They hire straight out of school, you'll be making decent money and can upgrade your degree when you feel comfortable.
>>
>>24989330
On top of that they drive in the most efficient way, and with no salary cost. Saving money everywere
>>
Heavy equipment operating has the least job stability, is surprisingly really hard on your back (no suspension, sitting all day + bumpy offroad), and is isolating af. At least trucking you can play the radio and aren't jarring around all day
>>
>>24989332
My sister moved to Germany as an American and just got an apprenticeship right away making eyeglasses. Like with no trouble.

Such a better system for industry
>>
>>24988172
but who will accept responsibility if one or more crashes?
>>
>>24988245
>underwater welding
that is a meme, anyone who actually learns welding drops that quickly. Not because it is dangerous but the realization of how boring it is and how average the pay is.

>>24988136
If you want to learn welding go for it. Don't focus on learning to MIG weld. Strive to be great and be the top of your class or kiss your journeymans ass. Otherwise you will end up $10/hr with Mexicans that sell drugs in the parking lot and shout your name a lot.
>>
>>24989285
Sure, it was expensive 5 years ago. Hell, it'll probably be to expensive for another 5-10 years down the road. But when you have an expected loss of ~30-40% of all jobs as a result of automation, you can expect it to get a hell of a ton cheaper real quick.
>>
>>24989168
Is it? Or is it more like no-one wants to do it so it's easy to get into but high-paying.

Like working a six-month stint on an oil rig.
>>
>>24989018
>What about construction and electrician?
Go for electrician. You won't be an electrical engineer (like me) but you'll be the top tier of the shit tier
>>
>>24989330
Well yeah I know about the Google cars but aren't those basically just following lines in the road? I struggle to believe we'll get sophisticated enough AI to drive trucks on long journeys without human supervision as early as 2020
>>
>>24989474
Is pay good at least? To be honest I'm just about to say fuck it and go do anything. I'm too old to have gone this lone doing nothing. At least this would give me direction.

I'm planning on living a single life and using the career to live a minimalist life anyways.
>>
>>24989494
They drive too perfect so they often get stuck on things like (crossroads?) X roads without traffic lights. Theyll try to wait for their turn but no one will let them. and accident rate is a bit higher than normal cars but I think most of the accidents weren't actually caused by google cars themselves
>>
>>24989494
You're probably right, I tend to worry that I'm being too pessimistic whenever it comes to technology discussions and that sometimes backfires.
>>
>>24988136
Truck driver here, if you're neet truck driving is where it's at.

No rent =Extra $1,000/month in your pocket, plus you can go and visit your online friends where ever they live(if in the usa) since most companies let you take hometime where ever you want. Robots is gonna be a issue BUT insurance companies rule and their gonna want a human on the truck. So wage might go down to like 1,000/month but if you have to do nothing....
>>
>>24989523
Trade skills will allow you to decide how much you want to make, assuming you start your own business. Plumbers, carpenters, electricians? All of those have the potential to make you well over six figures if you want to work for it.
>>
>>24989464
No its rare.

Guys who weld on oil rigs make a couple hundred grand a year and it's an actual thing normal people do, unlike underwater welding.
>>
>>24988136

do you have a quest for me, skullcap-san?
>>
>>24988136
I'm training to be a plumber. Anyone know if its complicated in the technical sense? I'm bad at electrical work (my tech school makes you do varied things). I'm really not that good at this kind of thing, I hope plumbing is low skill enough for me to do. I'm scared the tuition will go to waste and I will be fucked. I don't mind gross stuff and hard work, I am just concerned about being able to do it. I scored a 10 on abstract versus practical thinking, that coupled with my attention problems for boring things makes it tough.
>>
dunno how things work where you live, but to do any of these things you need a permit from the local (or national) trade union. the trade unions are very restrictive and will only allow their close relatives and friends to pass the exams. because of the high salaries and easy working conditions these jobs pass down from father to son most of the time. it also helps keep supply low and demand high. becoming a doctor or engineer is actually easier than becoming a welder or truck driver
>>
Is an associates degree in Software engineering good or should I finish my 4 years in total?

I am getting a 2 year AA in Computer Information System for Software Engineering.
From there I can choose either

Be done and go into the workforce
OR
Go to a nice liberal arts school and get my BA in Computer science on a transfer program
>>
>>24989660
you will be fine. there is plenty of plumbing work that isn't complicated. if you really struggle you won't break 60k but you will live comfortably.
>>
Who /sheet metal/ here?
>>
>>24989753
You mean I won't go beyond residential right? Yeah I'm OK with that. Showing up isn't a problem, I want it bad and live at home so I have assistance getting up. I'm good with stocks, so its really just to save up money and start that up as a business.
>>
>>24989820
fuck stocks. Too risky.

It's all about that passive income life. Invest in land, buy apartments, rent out homes. You'll be living that millionaire comfy lifestyle when you hit 35
>>
>>24989330

When will this meme end?

What makes you think we will have self driving trucks when we don't even have self driving trains? Do you know how much more is involved in driving a truck than a train? How many more variables there are to consider?

And if there is an accident, who is liable? My company holds FedEx responsible for all costs if there is an accident, including schedule. Who is liable in the situation where there isn't a driver? Will self driving car company be able to buy insurance for every vehicle they make? And at what cost? Even then, if their algorithm makes a mistake, insurance companies will find a way out of the deal. If your truck gets into an accident, who appears in court? You think a 60 year old judge is going to rule in the favor of a machine over a person?

It's simply cheaper to have a person drive the truck, at $0.56 / mile, using old piece of shit trucks. There is little incentive to move to a system where you need to buy an entire fleet of brand new, untested, and overly expensive to insure vehicles.

Seriously, fuck off with this reddit meme. It shows a complete lack of understanding of how industries operate.
>>
>>24989886
A lot of them are, but after following the market for years I have come to learn that it's not always the case. Any new company (that's small) that offers a sufficiently hyped product goes up pretty rapidly for a quick sell. I have a bit of a background in math and economics, so I am learning to do technical analysis as well. There are also pump and dump stocks that market manipulators like Oprah hype for a quick profit. For instance Oprah just happened to hype weight watchers when it hit an all time low a few months ago, the stock has since tripled. Since weight watchers was a meme diet product, it being in the headlines and thrown in her viewers faces ensured an at least modest profit.
>>
>>24989886
How do people renting out places make so much money? They have to pay for repairs and maintenance on every house they own. Do most tenants try to pay for fixes themselves?
>>
File: brendan.jpg (37 KB, 464x464) Image search: [Google]
brendan.jpg
37 KB, 464x464
How do you even learn a trade, I'm a mid 20s sperg who knows nothing about anything and all trades seem incredibly hard to get in to and then you have to spend years busting your ass before you even have a chance at making money
>>
>>24990107
If you own 5 fully payed off houses, you could rent them out for 5k per month. With 25k per month of passive income, you would even flinch about having to make repairs. The hardest part is getting started. Most start off by buying auctioned off houses from banks. If you're willing to put in the work, clean it up (which takes time), and sell it off, then you're set for life.
>>
>>24990260
How the hell is some startup ever going to be able to afford even 1 house that can be rented out for 5k a month. That's like a 2 million dollar home
>>
File: Black Censor Glasses.png (382 KB, 926x912) Image search: [Google]
Black Censor Glasses.png
382 KB, 926x912
>>24989984
Keep dreaming kekold, you're going to be out a job soon :^)
>>
>>24988136
>trucking

drove me close to an hero
>>
>>24990539
what was so bad about it anon?
>>
>>24989984
this. It's usually STEM freshmen that shitpost about robots and self driving cars/trucks without knowing shit.
>>
>>24990260
5k/month is an incredibly high rent, in either dollars, euros or bongs. It would have to be a house in a truly prime location. I'm talking regular houses.
>>
>>24990570

15 hours shifts, lots of manual handling (assumed I'd just be driving)

On my 2nd day I had to drive around city centre traffic
>>
File: 1362050855620.png (86 KB, 244x252) Image search: [Google]
1362050855620.png
86 KB, 244x252
>>24990260
nigga, where the fuck to you love that houses rent for 5k/mo? >The hardest part is getting started
No shit. A house that rents for 5k/mo would be worth north of a million bucks.

So all you need to live comfortably for the rest of your life is MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

wow such insight, why didn't i think of that?
>>
>>24989298
>being dependent on the economy
>being dependent on the job opportunities
>>
if you are willing to do a trade just join the military first

you will get respected as much in either place, but work much harder in trades for much less money
>>
>>24991854
not to mention GI Bill
>>
>>24989692
Go into the workforce - you can pursue more qualifications and education if you work at a good company
>>
welding is a meme. i work manual labor in a factory and a lot of my coworkers studied welding at a technical college and worked on the natural gas pipelines when there was a ton of construction 5 years ago. yeah, you can make good money working on pipelines. what they don't tell you is that once those pipelines are built, you're out of a job. finding a new job isn't that simple, unless you like the idea of moving hundreds of miles away to chase the work. but then you're faced with the logistics of moving every several months and these boom towns will suck you dry because they charge outrageous rent prices -- i know because i live in the marcellus shale region and saw how expensive apartments were at the peak of the boom.

another guy i work with made $30/hr+ plus per diem plus overtime to weld on a natural gas power plant construction site. once the job was finished he was laid off and now he's making $16/hr doing manual labor in a factory. another guy i worked with went to tech school to study welding. the best jobs he could find are fab shop type jobs which pay literally $12/hr and max out at $20/hr. my dad is an industrial mechanic and he had a weekend job for several years where he worked at a metalworking contractor. 30 years experience and they only paid him $20/hr.

tl;dr welding is a fucking meme. for every guy who makes $200k/yr welding on a pipeline there are 20 guys who make $10-15/hr working in a fab shop. the only steady jobs are union metalworking jobs and they're more or less impossible to get, unless your dad, uncle, etc. are in the union.
>>
>>24989494
in 2017 volvo will release 200 (i think) self driving cars that look like regular cars to regular people in sweden
>>
>>24993604
>welding is a meme
is it? i heard it was pretty gud.
>>
Welding pays well
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.