[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Armchair psychologists, gather around I was just watching t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 1443836783376.gif (2 MB, 470x329) Image search: [Google]
1443836783376.gif
2 MB, 470x329
Armchair psychologists, gather around

I was just watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKB58CS1sYQ&index=14&list=PLQKlHp9A8xVTGoLtJePs8WnZpJs6xkB2o (what, you're not subscribed to Rob Dyke? Fucking pleb), and I can't get over how depression affects some people. So the guy that crashed a plane into the French Alps, killing 150, didn't feel he had a fulfilling life? He was /fit/, dated, ran marathons and ffs he's a pilot, not a lot of people become pilots. I'm a worthless fat NEET with NO relationships let alone failed, but I've never come close to debilitating depression. We're different people, I get it, but how does it get so bad that you're on multiple medications that may drive you to murder? Why is it even legal for minors to be on mental health drugs? At least anti-depressants. Amphetamines never seem to hurt anyone, but those anti-depressants man.

Can these people truly be helped? Even if we invested more in mental health care, does that mean we just put more people on pills? That's not safe to me. We never needed it before, but that begs the question, is the human experience significantly more miserable than it ever was? Are people less happy as a whole? For the inevitable "things were always this way" posters, can you like, think before you say that? Thank you.
>>
The vid also mentions the Rodge, I know you all like that
>>
>>24988102
Who knows if these people can be helped, as it stands we just give people anti depressants which we have no clue how they actually function and alter your mind. Most of the time medication as a whole is just ignoring the problem and giving the necessary medication to assist the patient in ignoring it, rather than making steps to heal or cure it.

We honestly don't know very much about the functionings of the brain right now and how mental illness develops and if it can be stopped, a lot of research is needed but it probably won't pay off for a long ass time so big companies probably aren't quick to fund it when they can sell a "miracle pill" that alleviates, AKA helps you ignore any symptoms of the problem you are having temporarily.
>>
>>24988468
Thanks for your input. I find it interesting that essentially the modernist basis of psychology (your past affects your future, your environment means everything) means very little. It's as if severe mental problems happen completely randomly.
>>
Gee I thought a board centered around depressed guys would be a little more interested.
>>
>>24988535
It's more like we don't know what we are looking for, what physical brain structure changes in some of these mental illnesses. Right now we classify mental illnesses as symptoms rather than an underlying physical cause in the brain, which is probably there but very hard to detect because it's just chemicals and electrical signals being blasted through insanely small and complex synapse networks.

also I don't think the human experience is significantly more miserable than it ever was, but we are definitely on a decline lately. Humans seek challenge and lately there is no challenge in our lives the common man can easily meet. We are on the frontier of discovering insane things and the modern adolescent is just pumped up with instant gratification and dumbed down to not be able to ever meet these challenges. You can't pin on the blame on either side more than the other though because this dumbing down makes money and you have to blame the teenagers as well for not wanting to break free and actually try and learn and meet these greater challenges which might move the human race along as a whole.
>>
Normalfags can have depression too.
Weirdly enough, normalfags don't seem to understand just how much worse off they could be and kill themselves because depression even though they have friends and girlfriends/wives.
>>
>>24988696
>and you have to blame the teenagers as well for not wanting to break free and actually try and learn and meet these greater challenges which might move the human race along as a whole.

I don't think teenagers have that kind of willpower whatsoever, so my post was mostly aimed at parents. I can't recall ever in my teenage years one peer that seemed genuinely disturbed (I was the most depressed person I knew, but my life was still very fulfilling at times) and everyone grew up to be fairly normal - now it seems to be a normal thing for parents to "watch out" for their kids and people being alert for "unhealthy behaviors" or whatever the fuck. My own nephew has sadly been through his share of medications, and he is certainly A LOT to handle believe me, but his problem isn't really alarming to me or having anything to do with depression. But my sister's raising him on her own, so she feels kinda helpless and relies on meds a lot or else she'd have to monitor him 24/7 as he'd likely not be in school right now. There's a point where she doesn't even know if the meds have messed him up permanently. This is why I do wish she didn't turn to the meds so early in his life.
>>
>>24989092
Maybe you're right. Maybe other peoples upbringings didn't really teach them things like thinking for themselves and the parents were also seekers of instant gratification at all cost and certain parts of the brain atrophied. It's not something taught very often to ignore your instincts and look for that greater reward at the end of the line. We're kind of just doped up by whatever distraction is in front of us doing what feels good in the moment for most of our lives.

At a certain point though everyone does have to learn to think for themselves. I think this happens naturally most commonly around the teenage age, where you start to rebel from authority and want to find things out for yourself. The sad part is these groups you end up in when rebelling don't teach you things like delaying gratification and thinking about your future.

Perhaps all this technology has weakened our brains and made us more prone to depression and other forms of mental illness. I can't say it's harder for us to obtain happiness in this day and age than it ever was because you can look back at the middle ages and it was probably just as hard if not harder back then. Sure there was the 1% writing the history books that things didn't look so bad for but for the average person it was probably hell, I don't think we are at that point yet where everyone is in extreme suffering but we may be on the verge of it.
>>
>>24989092
About your sister and your nephew, it definitely is easier to just give him a pill and go on with your lives. Overcoming a mental illness will never be easy and will take significant effort from both sides. Maybe humans nowadays just don't have the willpower to overcome these things, It's just much less effort to take a pill and ignore the problem. It is a hardwired human instinct to get the most value out of the least effort so this is a very natural response to the problem but maybe this lack of willpower has made us myopic to the point we don't think about repercussions or the long term plan we just instantly go for the easy way out.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.