[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT methods people actually believe can cure depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>meditation
>CBT
>exercise
>>
>>24978873
>killing yourself
>actually works though
>>
>cum rawdog in vagina no condor
>>
>>24978873
I was literally told to 'be myself' when badly depressed and doing poorly academically.

Had to stifle my laughter pretty hard.
>>
>>24978873
>>meditation

Cue rabid 'meditators' crying you're doing it 'wrong' and 'not enough' and 'you don't know what you're talking about' and 'science has proven that it works'.
>>
>>24979021
Nice one

Now this post is original :^)))
>>
>>24978873
During my CBT I told my doc that I wanted a gf but didn't see it happening because I'm too weird.
Doc says: Girls like weird guys. They want somebody who's 'different'.
>>
>>24979055
>Girls like weird guys. They want somebody who's 'different'.

Well, that's true. Humans naturally select for intelligence, of which being 'different' in the sense you both meant is a correlate; it is a profound ensurer of safety both one's and one's offspring's.
>>
If you are self conscious about your appearance then execerise can help
>>
>>24979076
I'm weird, not smart you retard faggot faglord small dick kek.
>Humans naturally select for intelligence
wew lad?
>>
>>24979115
>>Humans naturally select for intelligence
>wew lad?

Given equal difference x, literally no one would prefer a partner with IQ (own - x) over (own + x). And even with respect to (own + x) versus (own), the difference would have to be the proverbial standard deviation for people to prefer someone on their own level.
>>
Depression isn't real. It's just a name that you give to your specific fears and desires so that you can absolve yourself of responsibility. Which is fine -- it all works out to the same thing in the end.

Meditation taught me that. It works, but you have to do it right
>>
>>24979159
>Meditation taught me that.

'Meditation' taught you dualism, mind > matter, and belief in free will?

Sounds about right. Meaning, that 'meditation' led you to believe that crap.
>>
>>24979154
Do you expect me to understand any of that?
Most normal people are all equal in intelligence anyway.
The point is that girls are not attracted to 'weird'.
>>
>just relax !
>just don't think about it !
>go for a run, clear your mind !
>smoke some bud man
>open up to someone
>>
nothing works

it keeps coming back it's unrelenting

living is now just distracting myself from wanting to die
>>
>>24979190
>Do you expect me to understand any of that?

I might have been verbose; sorry. It's late.

Simply, we'd rather have someone much smarter than much stupider, and we'd largely rather have someone smarter than us.

>The point is that girls are not attracted to 'weird'.

Only if you partake in 'no true weirdness', really: 'no truly weird person is attractive'. My experience (no, not MY OWN experience) shows that women are attracted to social indifference which weirdness (a bit of autism, if you please) can bring.
>>
>>24978873
Wait, I thought CBT stood for cock and ball torture?
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 200x281) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 200x281
>>24979180
You can't know what I know because you know what you know -- for now. It doesn't matter. You will understand what I mean sooner or later.
>>
>>24979221
It does.
But CBT doesn't cure depression, crazy as it sounds.
>>
>>24978873
>CBT
how will cock and ball torture work?
>>
>>24979221
It stands for 'Cognitive-Behavioural Torture'.

>>24979229
Typical Buddhist 'I know something but I'm not gonna tell you what'. Shut up.
>>
File: 1449941880402.png (313 KB, 533x480) Image search: [Google]
1449941880402.png
313 KB, 533x480
>>24978873
cock ball torture cures depression?
>tfw will never know
>>
>>24979238
The door can be shown but not opened

You hold the key

It was with you from the beginning
>>
>>24978873
have you tried not being a little bitch?
>>
>>24979265
Yes, I knew you were most likely baiting in >>24979229 and even >>24979159, but I reckoned I would indulge the formula whereby Buddhists spouting their cryptic cliches are to be curtly dismissed and not engaged.
>>
>>24979265
shove the key up your arse and make sure to leave room for your alan watts scented dildo
>>
File: 1445749452492.jpg (22 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
1445749452492.jpg
22 KB, 680x383
>>24978873
>going outside

>just ignoring it

>waiting 'till it goes away
>>
>>24979053

I meditate. If you tried meditating and it didn't increase your mental wellbeing you're probably doing it wrong or not enough. Science has proven that it works.

Exercise works really well as well. If it doesn't cure your depression, it at least makes you look /fit/
>>
>>24979287
It's tempting to think of the key and the ass as two things, when in reality it is all one system. The mind creates many artificial distinctions in an effort to preserve itself. It is as good a game as any
>>
>>24979308
why are you telling me if our brains are the same then fag?
>>
>>24979300
>mental wellbeing
>>24979300
>works

It doesn't 'work'. At all. It literally only disables you.

Except, conveniently for its proponents certainly, it disables you so thoroughly, it catches a number of negatives, too -- e.g. it disables your anxiety and anger and so on, in addition to your drive and creativity. Scientists not worth their label then latch onto that isolated fact and tout 'meditation' as the 'cure' for depression. That's it.
>>
>>24979326
Only you can answer that to your own satisfaction. The answer is bound to the question
>>
>>24979308
>>24979354
You're good at it, anon. Not even I would've imitated them as well. What's your story? Were you raised in a semi-Buddhist circle? Had a (girl/boy)friend Buddhist? Grew out of it?
>>
>>24979334
Did you try meditating and / or exercise?
>>
>>24979115
>someone replies to your post
>immediately spews off a checklist of insult attempts and provides general childish behavior
I'm honestly surprised you're single as you seem to be at the level of intelligence that the average female resides upon.
>>
>>24979384
Did you try realizing that expecting people to withhold judgement until they try something themselves is literally placing greater weight on anecdotal evidence?
>>
>>24979055
>>24979076
bullshit. i've always been different and got told to 'be myself' and all i got was years of abuse from highschool
>>
File: 1449818635064.jpg (54 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1449818635064.jpg
54 KB, 396x385
>>24978873
There is no cure for depression. I've been lying to myself for over than a year. Got fit, got a gf (for a while then broke with her), got a career going (as a cook), moved on to a place with an amazing weather (one of the best in the whole world). There's just no changing the way you are if it's imbued in your personality since you are young.

It's ok tho, I'm Portuguese. It's in the Portuguese nature to be depressed.
>>
>>24979409

You were being yourself wrong.

>>24979420

t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>24979376
I just turned my nihilism inside out one day and presto

Did some meditating, confirmed hypothesis

I get buddists now

Not a buddhist
>>
File: 1449619090501.png (1 MB, 800x671) Image search: [Google]
1449619090501.png
1 MB, 800x671
>>24979408
Are you asking me to take your opinion seriously without you have having tried meditating / exercise?

I don't care about anecdotes. I already know the science behind it

Tumblr tier comment.
>>
>>24979438
what the fuck does that mean? i only did what i felt was natural to me.
>>
>>24979420
This.

I swear there is a link between depression and atheism. Even if I believed in an afterlife, it wouldn't appeal to me as I would still be the same person.
>>
>>24979451
>Are you asking me to take your opinion seriously without you have having tried meditating / exercise?
>>24979451
>I don't care about anecdotes. I already know the science behind it

So wait, is reading the studies sufficient to form a proper judgement on 'meditation', or does one need personal experience after all?

Every single Buddhist I have talked at has contradicted himself within a thread, but contradicting oneself within one post is rare, even for Buddhists.
>>
>>24979465

You needed to take a hobby/thing that you liked and make it marketable.
>>
>>24979468
This is because you must first define what "god" you do not believe in. And a god that does not exist is a pretty poor sort of god.
>>
File: 1448926607813.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1448926607813.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>24979478
It doesn't seem like you have had any personal experience. How odd that you would attack meditating without having ever tried it. If you are ever interested in it try the following:

Happiness by Matthieu Ricard

The author used to be a neurologist before he decided to withdraw in the Tibetan mountains. The book is very hands-on and tries to give a scientific explanation instead of losing itself in abstracts. It's an excellent book for a beginning meditator and just reading it made me feel at ease. Try it.
https://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness
>>
>>24979498
>video games
>complete joke of a hobby, especially here in aus where fuck all happens

>pistol shooting
>shit is hard enough here already and expensive

>cyclist
>not even that motivated to do that as a proper hobby
>>
>>24979478
Stop responding to it, anon.
>>
>>24979543
Good try there fellow dharmafag, but I've yet to get ANYONE to try meditating. Everyone thinks they're going to end up with a Cult-O-Tron enforcer chip in their skull digging rocks in some Nepalese hellhole

Sure does work miracles on religious types, tho:

>"Would you like to come to church with me?"

>"Sure! Would you like to meditate with me in a deciduous forest?"

>"Uh..."
>>
>>24979543
>How odd that you would attack meditating without having ever tried it.

How odd that the universe has spent hundreds of millions evolving us intelligence for the sole purpose that we can evaluate things' usefulness or uselessness WITHOUT having to try them beforehand, only for Buddhists to say that we can NOT judge them without trying them beforehand. How odd indeed.

>>24979555
Nice trips, but nah.
>>
>>24979626
>hundreds of millions
*hundreds of millions of years
>>
>>24979626
How scientific desu
>>
>>24978873

I've literally been told (word for word) "Dude, we just need to get you laid".
>>
>>24979658
*ding ding*
Current stop: 'if you criticize meditation, you are unscientific'.
Next stop: 'if you criticize meditation, you are delusional'.
*ding ding*
>>
>>24979626
According to a 2015 systematic review and meta-analysis of systematic reviews of RCTs, evidence supports the use of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs to alleviate symptoms of a variety of mental and physical disorders.[8] This review included a combined total of 8683 participants consisting of different patient categories as well as healthy adults and children.[8] A previous study commissioned by the US Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality found that meditation interventions reduce multiple negative dimensions of psychological stress.[9] However, this study used a highly heterogeneous group of meditation styles and many of the studies included in this review were short term studies. Other systematic reviews and meta-analysis show that mindfulness meditation has several mental health benefits such as bringing about reductions in depression symptoms,[10][11][12] and mindfulness interventions also appear to be a promising intervention for managing depression in youth.[13][14] Mindfulness meditation is useful for managing stress[11][15][16] anxiety,[10][11][16] and also appears to be effective in treating substance use disorders.[17][18][19] Other review studies have shown that mindfulness meditation can enhance the psychological functioning of breast cancer survivors,[20] effective for eating disorders,[21][22] and may also be effective in treating psychosis.[23][24][25]

It's like you want to be unhappy
>>
>>24978873
>CBT for depression

No, CBT is for anxiety not feeling sad.
>>
>>24979076
>Humans naturally select for intelligence
I'll give it a 3/10, too obvious.
>>
>>24979692
Bravo! You've read an abstract! You're halfway there. Now all that's missing is comprehension.

Tip: what is it that all those 'treatments' and 'reductions' and 'enhancements' and 'managings' have in common?
>>
The only cure is if your life becoming good, but it wont.
>>
>>24979685
You'll understand, in time. In fact, you already do.
>>
I don't believe meditation can cure depression. But it is a good way to clear and settle your mind for awhile, sort of giving your brain a rest from depression for a short time.
I find it a good way to distract myself from depression before I go do task.
>>
>>24979749
True. I guess all you can do is find your limitation and then try to build on them with small goals.
>>
>>24978873
exercise has been proven to counter depression, can you show me where someones claimed it CUREs depression anon? you lazy fucker
>>
>>24979768
Buddhists actually say this, FYI. Again, it is below no Buddhist to flatly assert, 'the truth is already in you', so to trigger the chain of second-guessing and apologetics in the victim: 'what could this mean? surely there is a reason for their vagueness? maybe they refuse to specify it because I'm supposed to do it myself? but what is it, that which I already know deep inside? maybe it is the very fact that I'm having doubts? maybe I should realize that I.C.A.B.W. (I Could Always Be Wrong)? after all, this would fit: I have always felt from time to time that I might be wrong! yes, that must be it! and if they tell me that I already know this so transparently, so directly, then surely it is not as though they're trying to brainwash me by mere crude assertion that "we are right, and you should accept that we are right" -- surely if they intentionally choose a form reeking from a mile of heavy-handed manipulation and intimidation, then this means that they're aware of it, and it's not as if they want to manipulate me, it's just that they want to imply something extra to me! for instance, that one should not pay attention to the form truth is delivered in! how wise! and they, of course, teach me that implications are fine! because they are! through my own brainwork, I understood so much from such a vague, ambiguous, cryptic, unassailable Buddhist remark! thanks, Buddhism! you're the best!'

Buddhists are master manipulators.
>>
>>24979874
Meanwhile, however, I am really tired. May you have self-aware, lucid dreams, Buddhists and 'meditators', in which your brains roam and render none, but instead are chained, fettered to your vapid self-awareness, to your vapid self-monitoring stream of noise that 'I am dreaming at the moment' -- just the way your self-aware, awake selves are fettered to the chain of chatter, where your minds constantly drown themselves with 'I am thinking at the moment, I am feeling at the moment, I am thinking at the moment'. Enjoy your chains, Buddhists.
>>
>>24979916
You seem a bit agitated
>>
File: 1430877165304.jpg (7 KB, 213x200) Image search: [Google]
1430877165304.jpg
7 KB, 213x200
>>24978873
thread claimed by the anti-buddha. abandon thread
>>
Shit I'm always late to anti- Buddha threads
>>
>>24979742
I don't feel like talking anymore. You are not looking for an honest debate, you just want to gloat. Your negativity troubles me a lot. I think i'll go meditate and do some exercise after school.
>>
>>24979940
I 'claim' no thread; the word implies desire that some people should not participate. I do tell Buddhists to leave threads, but only when they awarely lie (the 'you ignore studies' lie) or are exceptionally retarded (>>24979451's simultaneous embrace and rejection of anecdotal evidence).

As a matter of fact, I don't like the concept of ownership much, on paper at least. I have long objected to the term 'to have a (girl/boy)friend' and I have long been (pre-)licenced all code of mine (I will fail to complete) under WTFPL.
>>
>>24978873
>think happy thoughts :)
>smile more :)
>just don't think about it :)
>go outside more :)
>>
Exercise does help for some people though. It increases the chemical in your brain responsible for happiness
>>
>>24980148
Ownership and the language used to claim it are fleeting constructs

All terms will be redefined

All ideas are temporary

Binary is a lie

It is both one and zero
>>
ITT: people who don't understand that no one thing cures depression and it still requires a lot of personal effort
I know firsthand that it essentially makes it impossible to overcome because your drive is nil, but there's a lot of facebook-tier shitslinging here
>>
>>24980217
I know I'm repeating myself, but you're really doing great. It used to terrify me that there are people who say such things in earnest until I realized the nature of their manipulation: that of hoping that the victim will tacitly notice and tacitly adopt the implied conclusion that it is fine to *justify* blatant paradoxes, to preoccupy oneself with finding sophistic explanations in which koans of 'reality doesn't exist', 'all truth is a lie', 'intellect is limited' are conceivably true (e.g., '...because reality is only perceived by our minds', '...because everything can be proven wrong', 'because experience is something else than thinking', and so on). Which has a threefold consequence: (1) to sow negative connotations with respect to truth, intellect, etc., (2) to keep a person busy so they cannot think productively, to (3) win praise for misconceived insight, and (4) to break a brain to rather force equivalence and overbroaden its definitions than discriminate and clarify/disambiguate definitions. Now I understand it...
>>
>>24980306
The conclusion, of course, is that Buddhism is a cult of the vilest sort.
>>
>>24980306
What do you mean by "it"?

How will you know when you have it

Where will it go once you're done
>>
>ssris

biggest meme ever, can feel myself getting dumber and duller every day. when will death embrace me
>>
Exercise really does make me feel better.

The problem though is trying to force yourself to do it when you're extremely depressed though....

Part of the reason i forced myself to go vegetarian though was so I wouldn't gorge myself on cheeseburgers when I was depressed and then feel fucking worse

I still get really depressed and just take a few days off sometimes....
>>
>>24980333
Buddhists will, of course, justify their toxic implications of 'limitation of intellect' as 'innocent riddles'.
>>
>>24980364
So you say and so I say

You talk to me and I talk to me

I talk to you and you talk to you

I know little of riddles. I am a simple man, entrusted with a few simple tasks which I perform as best I am able

I have hung out the washing and I hope the weather will be fine
>>
File: 1448867047238.jpg (42 KB, 495x636) Image search: [Google]
1448867047238.jpg
42 KB, 495x636
CBT is actually really good.

Spent over a year plus working with therapists and I ended up just telling them what they wanted to hear.

Then I ran across CBT, took my time with it, read it step by step, and each lesson I read I really took in.

We just all like to think that we're somehow special and unique. That no one else has our same problems and fears. When in fact the opposite is true.
>>
File: rarest pepe.png (92 KB, 447x387) Image search: [Google]
rarest pepe.png
92 KB, 447x387
Oh look, a bunch of teenagers with jobs, school and friends whining about depression.
>>
>>24980347
Have fun with your brain damage, mate.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.