[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been running my own 4chan archive for over a year now,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1448361897755.jpg (801 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
1448361897755.jpg
801 KB, 2448x1836
I've been running my own 4chan archive for over a year now, and it's almost full (~200GB).

Should I turn it off when it runs out? If I don't do anything it will probably be full in a few days at best (when it would become read only or decomissioned entirely).

Is there really all that much worth saving?

pic is sorta related - it's what my server looks like at the moment
>>
>so what's your hobby?
>>collecting all the different tins of spam
>>
>>24978197

set it to text only since there are other sites that catalog the images
>>
>>24978278
>"pic related"
>what pic
>>
>>24978278
It's thumbnail only already.
I rarely click on images.

It's not so much storage (I could fix that), but the main reason that I'm considering killing it is because it chews up so much power. Storage is just my excuse.

Archives have never been more plentiful. I can always use basc-archiver for ebin breds I want to be sure to keep. Especially considering that moot keeps most non-deleted threads for so long anyway.
>>
>>24978197
what boards, and from what time period? Is it something viewable on the internet?
>>
>>24978197
Tried spam for the first time last week, it was fucking awful, and expensive too
>>
>>24978318
>moot
Anon...
>>
>>24978322
>what boards
ck, diy, g, int, lgbt, mu, out, p, pol, qa, sci, tv, v, vr

>what time period
Since about this time last year (with patchy archives from about this time the year before).

>viewable on the internet
No, but if any public archive fell and data was lost, I was more than willing to donate anything I had.

>>24978351
nipmoot then
>>
>>24978197
Please please please, consider sharing it with desustorage.org. There are many boards with the four-month gap in the archives resulting from lack of archive.moe backups, and many people, myself included, would appreciate /r9k/, for one, being complete again.

I'm sure people there would help you share it.
>>
>>24978569
>>24978387
Oh wait, you don't archive /r9k/. ;_; Out of luck again. But still, maybe they need data for some of the boards you do save.

Still, it's good to be reminded that enough people run their private archives for one of them to even make a thread such as this one...
>>
>>24978610
No, I DO!
I missed it!

It would be great to know that it was for something too!
>>
>>24978318
>It's thumbnail only already.
How the fuck is it 200GB? How far back does it go?
If you have an in tact /r9k/ archive email the desustorage maintainer and see if you can't help fix the summer posts that went missing from archive.moe
>>
>>24978625
>It would be great to know that it was for something too!

It would.

http://desustorage.org/desu/thread/415/
http://desustorage.org/_/articles/import_status/

It seems that you could help /int/, /r9k/, and /vr/.
>>
>>24978660
That was only a df -h
I've probably left other crap on there.
>>
>>24978197
You should make a best of collection. The best threads you have in your collection. You can dump them here on /r9k/.
>>
>>24978668
>>24978660
What (rough) timespan were posts missing?
I can check to see if I've got them first.
>>
>>24978695
Can't check right now. July-October I think? But I'm not sure the gap doesn't extend into June or November.
>>
>>24978726
I think I have (at least some of) it.
Here is a random post from September.

I'll ask around about making a donation.
>>
>>24978197
Jeez OP, you're making my mouth water
>>
>>24978763
>(at least some of)

If you haven't updated the fetcher since you installed it a year (two?) ago, then it might not support the 4chan's own 'week archive', so perhaps this means that your copy has gaps whenever your system went down for more than a thread's lifespan. But this probably isn't that bad.

>I'll ask around about making a donation.

Thanks! Good luck.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.