[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else not giving up on their lives and dreams? Tomorrow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 300x233) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 300x233
Anyone else not giving up on their lives and dreams? Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and start working toward my goals, I just hope I don't fall into an unproductive rut and start feeling bad for myself again like last time.

Personally, my ultimate goal is to be a great actor with tons of money, but right now I'm a tired sedentary piece of shit that's been fattening up, so my first goal is to just get healthy. I hear baby steps is basically the key and I shouldn't be too hard on myself if I miss a goal, BUT I should keep it in mind and remember that discipline is important and that I should not fall back into old habits.

What about you guys, do you still have goals? Are you working towards them?
>>
>>24969294
Fuck that pic was meant to be a gif.
>>
It's been like 6 months since I lodged my application for NEETbux. I still dream of getting it.
>>
Continuing to exercise regularly, plus the stuff mentioned in a separate thread, >>24968210.
>>
>>24969294
good luck OP, everyone falls down and loses motivation every now and again. just gotta pick yourself up and persevere. you can do it
>>
File: breaking feel.jpg (166 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
breaking feel.jpg
166 KB, 800x598
My biggest goal in life is just to graduate college. The problem is that I'm a literature/philosophy major and I have virtually no direction in terms of a career.
I really like the idea of teaching but I don't think I'm cut out for it. Every time I've ever spoken in front of a group has been an unmitigated disaster.
>>
I want to just be better at being social, and I've noticed I'm a bit better when I get enough sleep and eat good food. Turns out I've been unhealthy for food and sleep most of my life which is probably part of why my social skills are so shit. Honestly, compared to what I've experienced in the past few days, my whole life feels like a cloudy mess, like I get brain fog when I'm not healthy. I'm going to start exercising tomorrow to see if that improves my experience even more.

Seriously, this might just be me, but I want to encourage you anons to try it and and confirm if it works for yourself.
>>
>>24969337
Good luck getting that.

>>24969424
Keep going man, be careful not to fall back into old habits like I've been doing.

>>24969429
Thanks for the motivation!>>24969457
Try exposing yourself to a group? I hear stand up comedy can help. Maybe go to a few comedy clubs, observe other comedians, then write your own material, after a while, and perform. If people don't like it, fuck them, you're still learning. That said, take some constructive criticism and maybe even try to talk to some comedians offstage if you can (might be a bit nerve-wracking so try to find a comedian with an approachable face). Personally, I find this easier than trying to talk to a woman because I'm not thinking about sex with the comedian, but maybe that's just me.
>>
>>24969470
Good on you for making things better! I'm going to have to try that out.
>>
>>24969294
>monstrous face prevents me from having a relationship with anyone
>receive no credit for anything as everyone thinks im retarded
>acute social anxiety denies any chances of staying in a job
>miserable family conditions living literally out of a minimum wage
>can't get retired for invalidity because "omg you can do it"
>too sceptical to yield myself to be a priest
>weak nerves block me from developing artistic skills
>bad concentration/mobility skills can't get me into sports either
>so poor I can't even try the lottery

I can't say i had the chance to choose to give up. Life pretty much decided it to me.
>>
>>24969613
Hmm, I wasn't expecting that advice. It's funny you say that because I'm actually a pretty big fan of comedy, particularly stand up. I used to wrote jokes all the time on twitter but I just sorta lost faith in it after awhile.
I never even really considered trying stand up though for the same reason as the teaching. I've thought about taking a small amount of xanax beforehand. Do you have any experience or advice about that?
>>
>>24969791
Sorry to hear about that, do you have any goals in particular though that you think you can work towards?

>>24969950
Sorry, all I hear are stories of people doing weird shit on Xanax, probably because they took a huge dose. I'd say try the comedy thing first before medication, especially without a doctor's advice. Pay attention to the tone a comedian will use (many are different) and see the body language they use (many times they stand up straight but if their whole act is "lol I'm so beta" then they'll tend to slouch a bit and their tone won't be as confident).
Would you like to share your twitter account? I can understand if you don't want to.
>>
>>24970144
Aw fuck it, here:
https://twitter.com/the_mentaculus
I feel the jokes noticeably started to suck at the end but I'm still proud of a few
>>
File: 1447864067459.jpg (81 KB, 665x720) Image search: [Google]
1447864067459.jpg
81 KB, 665x720
>>24969294
I don't know anymore.
I wanted to be a cartoonist for the longest time I remember, but after reading about what it takes to get into it, the fear of not being good enough and being too broke to live, and eventually seeing my art stagnate made me give up on that. Now I'm just directionless and sometimes taking classes for some general education in community college and sometimes working at a walmart or call center for a couple months. Ironically probably heading to the fate I was so scared of anyways.
>>
>>24970384
Not bad, I clould definitely see many of those being an opening joke. Sometimes comedians stick from joke to joke, others tell a few related jokes and do callbacks to earlier jokes in their performance/ tell stories. You can be like the former and you have a goldmine, and it's all about how you execute the jokes, which is why it's great to observe the body language and delivery of other comedians to prepare for when you want to go up on stage. For the latter, maybe you can try and make different jokes and connections that somehow tie them together, like "speaking of X, I was doing X when I came across a Y and then suddenly Z happened!" So what I'm trying to say is you can say many different jokes or try and find a smooth transition, but the former may be easier right now.

What do you feel about the jokes at the end? Did you start to lose interest then or do you think you had some sort of a writer's block? Personally, I get a block in my head in social situations sometimes but others I feel like I'm making great jokes left and right.
>>
>>24969294
I wish I had done theater or some form of acting when I was growing up. People always told me I was funny and a good actor. Or that I should be in movies/make movies. It probably would've helped with my self-confidence if I had pursued it. But then again when they were saying I was funny and a good actor, it could've just been that I was so autistic that they thought I was joking...
>>
>>24969294
>Tomorrow I'm going to wake up and start working toward my goals, I just hope I don't fall into an unproductive rut and start feeling bad for myself again like last time.
I say the same thing every night, brother. Nothing changes.
>>
>>24969294
Recommended readings:
The /sig/ sticky http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki//sig/_sticky
The six levels of change by G. Bateson

Let's do this!
>>
>>24970636
I think the tailing off of the jokewriting is indicative of the larger way I've changed in the last year and a half or so. I've been diagnosed with clinical depression and started taking medication for it. The medication definitely helps in a lot of ways, but I also feel more self-conscious about everything I do, which obviously makes trying to be funny a lot more challenging. After awhile I just couldn't shake the feeling that my jokes just weren't very funny (hence the scarce favs/retweets).

I know that I'd feel so much better about myself and my circumstances if I could get back to writing, but I'm just really bogged down by insecurity nowadays.

By the way, do you have any favorite comics? You seem to be somewhat knowledgable about comedy.
>>
>>24970889
Look for casting calls and talent agents in your area! Check local theaters and see if they are looking for actors in plays. Try stand up comedy.
>>
>>24970903
No matter how comfy the bed is, just force yourself to get up and do it.
>>
>>24970919
>http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki//sig/_sticky
Amazing, thanks for posting this.
>>
>>24970951
Have you talked to your doctor about what your medication is doing?

Also, I'm generally a local comedy club guy, but I love Brian Regan and Bill Burr. I don't know if Conan does comedy, but I like the segments I see from his show.
>>
>>24971105
I mean I know he does comedy but I mean stand-up comedy of course.
>>
>>24971105
Nice, I love Bill Burr too. You should listen to some of his clips from Rogan's podcast if you haven't already.

As for talking to my doctor, I lost my health insurance shortly after being diagnosed, so it hasn't been an option for me...just another thing that's added to overall shitty mindset.

They always say that sadness and anxiety fuel great comedy, but I'm very ambivalent about that. I think tough times provide an opportunity to develop humor as a coping mechanism, but I can only really write confidently when I generally feel good about things in my life. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1445618876560.jpg (28 KB, 359x323) Image search: [Google]
1445618876560.jpg
28 KB, 359x323
>>24970495
Animu name of the pic pls
>>
>>24971302
Maybe look for any productive or at least nondestructive things you enjoy to keep your mind off things? Like walking in the park or exercising, then maybe try that comedy club and see what gets people laughing. Also, I've never tried it but many people swear by meditation.

Sorry about the whole insurace situation, I really hope that gets better for you.

Also, it's almost 11:00 for me and I have to get up early tomorrow, so I wish you and everyone else in here the best. I hope this thread stays alive and everyone here starts supporting each other and giving advice because I feel like this is a nice change of pace to the usual depressing threads this board has. Good luck with college, teaching, comedy, and anything else life throws your way. I'll leave off with the wisdom of Rocky, remember that it's not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep going. Goodnight everyone.
>>
>>24969294
I'm in the same boat OP, I'm sick of everything passing me by because I lock myself in my room and shut out the world. I'm mentally ill, depression is going to be the hardest part of taking steps forward but I don't want to give up. I want to be stronger, better, harder and happier and I will not let my own laziness and self loathing stop me from achieving that. Godspeed op
>>
>>24971617
Good luck to you as well, bro. Thanks for chatting.
>>
File: 1443397376061.jpg (312 KB, 1276x1920) Image search: [Google]
1443397376061.jpg
312 KB, 1276x1920
>>24969294
Yup. Dropping out of STEM and going to return to becoming an Artist. Not digital. Traditional artists, with paints, pencils, charcoal, etc
>>
2015 was the first time I ever set a new years resolution and stuck to it

I'm looking to do the same in 2016, but I don't even know what to try and accomplish. It's like, where do you start?
>>
>>24971588
It's one of the most popular animes...Kill La Kill
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.