[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most overrated things in life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: Thinking-Man-Rodin.jpg (50 KB, 729x463) Image search: [Google]
Thinking-Man-Rodin.jpg
50 KB, 729x463
What are the most overrated things in life?
>>
An expensive wedding. I seriously don't get the point of wasting your life savings to impress people who give the least fuck about you.
>>
in order of descending overratedness
sex
cocaine
fighting
>>
LSD
relationships
video games
learning programming via higher education
google accounts
contemporary / popular media (esp. cookie cutter anime weebshit)
>>
>>24966523
duuuud weed lmao
>>
Being alive is pretty overrated.
>>
Pink's Hotdogs here in Los Angeles, it seriously sucks dick.

College/University

Having sex with a random girl. I haven't had sex with a woman who I actually like, just a girl who I found really attractive. Don't get me wrong, the sex was good once we got used to one another but it really felt like something was missing.
>>
girlfriend

sex

alcohl

money
>>
>>24966523
Work and sex
>>
>>24966523
Sex
Parties
Money
Work
>>
Dubs are pretty overrated...

Scandinavian Women are overrated

Canada is overrated

Cats are overrated

Pizza is NOT overrated
>>
Life.

>but life is a beautiful gift anon!
>>
>alcohol
>university
>>
Happiness.

Vagina.

Your misery.
>>
File: 1435780218524.png (267 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1435780218524.png
267 KB, 500x500
>>24966854
>Dubs are pretty overrated...
Off by one, crybaby
>>
>>24966811

>money is overrated

Go fuck yourself

Yeah, not having to worry about if you can eat at all at the end of the month is so bad, I wish I didn't have any money
>>
Black people/'culture'
Game sequels
Going to clubs
Getting drunk
Star Wars
>>
>>24966523
What makes something overrated? Let's start with that.

I know relationships and sex seem overrated on the outside. I see so many people who almost seem unable to function without being in a relationship (I've met women who have straight up said that they "need" men in their life). But I also can't shake the feeling that the only reason that I find them overrated, is because I can't/won't get a relationship for myself, do to some combination of incompetence and unwillingness to make it happen.
>>
>>24966811
Money is NOT overrated. It's the one thing you truly need
>>
Relationships

Video Games

Money

Luxury

Sex
>>
>>24966960
>>24966907
This.

Money is absolutely NOT overrated. It is everything. Money is freedom.
>>
>>24966960
We need food, air, and water. If money didn't exist we could still survive, if food, air, and water didn't exist then neither would we.
>>
File: 1445012336241.gif (36 KB, 220x600) Image search: [Google]
1445012336241.gif
36 KB, 220x600
>>24966523
Life itself.

OC Robot
>>
>>24966998
>not understanding capitalism
okay friend
>>
>>24966766
Pretty much this

I'm original you motherfucker
>>
>>24967069
I understand it, that's not my point. Notice how animals, plants and all of nature don't need "money" to function?

Money is an artificial construct. It's an invention. It's not "necessary" in the natural world.

I understand the importance of money. I've had those moments when the fridge is empty and there's $4 in my bank so I know exactly why money is "important". But we need to recognize that money itself is not required for life.
>>
>>24966998
Forgot shelter. And you need money for three out of those four things, unless you want to get arrested.
>>
>>24967133
you think you are clever by arguing semantics. In a capitalist system money is required for life. Food, water, and shelter are bartered for with currency. Numbers are a human construct too, want to talk out of your ass about how math isn't necessary because bears don't use it?
>>
>>24966523
-living.
>>
>>24966523
Death. Okay you block things, I got it.
>>
>>24967133
Wild animals also have a lower life expectancy than people.

Becoming settled gave way to money and capitalism, but it has also given us a lot of comforts and freedoms.
>>
Underrating everything so that you're never disappointed about anything is somehow also overrated.
>>
>>24967199
>you think you are clever

There's nothing clever about it. It's reality, and you know it.

>>24967196
>>24967199
For those of you saying "money is overrated", I'm pretty sure the poster meant the pursuit of money, for its own sake. Not that money as a tool to acquire necessary resources is overrated.
>>
>>24966907
Maybe he is referring to having more money that you need, and it's pretty overrated
>>
>>24966523
Sex, without a doubt.
>>
Existence.

I just want to wake up.
>>
>>24966572
it's not all about impressing people. it's also a big ego-trip for this whole "every boy and girl is a prince and a princess" mentality our culture has regarding relationships
>>
>>24967231
That doesn't change the fact that everything we have today was entirely possible without money. I'm not saying everything should be free or nobody should be paid for what they do, but it's not like we are physically incapable of modern society without the existence of money.
>>
File: 1430192339980.jpg (29 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
1430192339980.jpg
29 KB, 331x334
Any spook that people cling to as though they have any kind of value
>>
>>24967310
no one is arguing that. do you have down syndrome?
>>
Sex, exorbitant amounts of money, psychedelic drugs, friends
>>
>>24966804
nathan for you was at pink's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a3hteaROMg
>>
File: 1449861297023.png (600 KB, 600x1017) Image search: [Google]
1449861297023.png
600 KB, 600x1017
>>24966523
Science.
People always say that if it weren't for it we wouldn't have the commodities we have today.
But science fucked everything, life is not better, everything gives you cancer because it's artificially modified, cars and buildings just made the air more polluted. Science could have been used for the common good, and what do we have instead? Cigarettes , mindless entertainment and booze. Fuck this shit.
>>
>>24967353
>no one is arguing that

When you say "you NEED money for food, shelter, water etc." then you kind of are arguing that.

But again, the point of the original post we're talking about was pretty much missed. "Money is overrated" really meant that having money and making money for the sake of it is overrated. If you haven't been exposed to it, there's a lot of people out there who will brag and troll because they saved money, or because they don't spend money on certain things (and therefore have a lot of it).
>>
Star Wars
Happiness
Life
>>
>>24966804
I can attest to Pink's being overrated. The hot dogs were about as good as store bought, if not worse, but the fries were the best I've ever had
>>
>>24967133
Money is human will turned to material. You wield that money, you wield a weight of human effort. In its ability to move reality it is as real as the men it commands. It's a means to access a barter system that always existed between all people, even when we were just eating each other out of trees, it's a complex decision making system and form of energy transfer between beings.

Need to stop listening to shitty hipster albums.
>>
>>24967386
tobacco and booze aren't very scientific. Get out of here with your old world idolization. Age of nihilism ftw
>>
KFC gravy. It's nice initially but then it's nothing special after a few dips. For me, it's the one food that has a very noticeable decline in marginal utility.
>>
>>24967451
Making liquor is a scientific process.
>>
>>24966580
>cocaine
do people really have good things to say about it?>>24966854
There's nothing special about cats, this is true.
>>24966937
star wars is a good one.
>>
>>24967442
Fair enough. But it could've been anything else, the system itself could be entirely different. But as far as we know, what won't change is our need for food, air, water (and arguably shelter).

>need to stop listening to shitty hipster albums
Who does?
>>
>>24966970
Only people that have never been in a relationship or have only had shitty ones believe that they are overrated
>>
>>24967451
Please, it was just an example, I can put plenty if you want me to.
You get my point, it may be convenient in the short term, but eventually science fucked us more than it saved us.
>>
capeshit
family
vaginas
>>
>>24967557
I guess they aren't overrated if you find somebody who actually cares about you and wants to build a life with you.

But most relationships don't pan out like this at all, so it is actually understandable why people think they're overrated. Especially when we're heavily socialized to believe that relationships are a key to happiness or, worse, an indicator of your personal worth.
>>
>>24966937
>getting drunk

Underrated post

I totally understand relaxing with a can of beer, but getting plastered is just too much for me. Did it once and it wasn't that great, yeah I was a lot freer but I also felt like shit. I'd rather be in that state without blowing all my money on something that makes me dizzy and unable to drive.
>>
>>24966692
agree on LSD. Mescaline is very nice though and underrated as a hallucinogen.
>>
Women.
You were expecting something original? Too bad, it's just me.
>>
>>24967196
>breathing the same air as poor people
That's pretty disgusting to be quite honest.
>>
>>24967690
Getting plastered is too much but a couple drinks or something is good if you're tense or something
>>
live band concerts.
>>
>>24967508
>>24967594
Alcohol and tobacco were around long before the scientific method even existed.
>>
>>24967594
I mean, I was born early and would have died otherwise so it's hard to agree with that on a personal level

Actually, take it back, that would be nice
>>
>>24967862
So true it's fucking shit.
>>
Relationships
Vodka
Soda
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.