[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guys please start reading. All of you who were smart as teens
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 22
File: 1429752080555.jpg (506 KB, 500x1457) Image search: [Google]
1429752080555.jpg
506 KB, 500x1457
Guys please start reading.

All of you who were smart as teens and feel empty headed and stupid now? Start reading.

If you can't find the right words to express yourself and you can't remember things well, can't focus. Start reading.

Let's say, you were born with a fixed I.Q, and it could be very high. But If you dont engage your mind, you'll never function at the level that you should be, You could have a 150 I.Q, but if you dont read, you'll feel like it's 100.

Please Robots, trust me, I know the feeling big time. Just try to read 1 book a week. After a month you'll feel so much better
>>
God damn I hate myself for not reading for atleast half a year. After conscription I have been just locked to my computer.
>>
Yes, the most important thing to realize in order to empower yourself and find fulfilment in your life is that intelligence is not fixed
>>
>>24955555
Why though? I don't disagree, I'm actually interested because I feel I was smarter when I was a kid, but how does reading help? I already read news and 4chan. How is a book better at exercising my intellect?

Also nice quints.
>>
If been bored for a few days and I'll actually follow this advice. Thanks, anon.
>>
>dem quints
oh anon I love you

what are you reading right now?
>>
>>24955555
Why wanting to have an high IQ?
It's like you want to stay permavirgin.
Women fuck every stupid low iq mountain gorilla they can find if he looks good and punches a few high IQ bot on the regular.
If anything, you should lower your IQ and run T game. Being intelligent is a sexual deathsentence in our world today.
>>
>>24955635
How about you live for yourself instead of being a slave to what women want?

>>24955604
I think it helps connect words and imagination. I don't know too well. All I know is I'm more eloquent and express ideas and solves puzzles very well after a week or two of reading.
>>
File: 1443216909691.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1443216909691.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
>>24955555
Quints don't lie family, damn

tfw almost always too tired to read
>>
But I've read all my life and still do and I'm dumb as a brick and have all those issues you mentioned
>>
File: 1448325147216.png (201 KB, 302x405) Image search: [Google]
1448325147216.png
201 KB, 302x405
How is reading going to make a girl let me put my penis inside of her?
>>
Question, how many people here subvocalize (hear a voice in their head) while reading? I do, and I feel like my reading speed is slow as shit. If I practice the tricks to cut down on it, I feel like my comprehension is severely reduced.
>>
>>24955778
I guess you're at your max. Sorry m8.

>>24955803
Just at your pace, even if its slow. The point isn't to get through it, its to understand it.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 600x445
You're actually right... Technology has made me actually dumber. You know what OP I will start reading again. Thank you!
>>
>>24955555
Don't just read. Write. You have to have some understanding of the stuff you're reading and be able to share it with people. People get caught in subjective realities, and when there's a real-world skill that ties into it you have something good, but when you don't have anything, or you don't work at it, you don't end up with anything. it's like that line at the end of No Country for Old Men, "drinking leads to more drinking."
>>
>>24955555
>reading is what smart people do
That being said I'm getting the prequel of song of ice and fire tomorrow
>>
File: 1408013600980.jpg (28 KB, 418x398) Image search: [Google]
1408013600980.jpg
28 KB, 418x398
>>24955555
FIVE FIVES. THE ULTIMATE QUINT!

But regardless of that. Everything the op says is true.
Anyone who is making excuses about not reading is full of shit. They read and shitpost on this board for 18 hours a day, you can take an hour out of that and read something that was written by a non-autist faggot.

Books are ridiculously cheap, you can get some second hand for like a bucko five on Amazon or in any number of stores. You can even torrent PDFs and read them on your phone if you're ridiculously poor.

I try to read non-fiction. But I find it too easy to be distracted by my computer if I read in the house. So I go out and read in a cafe or something instead.

A robot reading list is necessary. Non-fiction self-help shit.
>>
>>24955871
Hard-copy is better imo
>>
Euphoric and enlightened by my own intelligence.
>>
>>24955555
I admit I haven't read many books in the last year. I lost the will a little bit after finishing the Count of Monte Cristo.
>>
>>24955716
>I think it helps connect words and imagination. I don't know too well. All I know is I'm more eloquent and express ideas and solves puzzles very well after a week or two of reading.
Ok I'll go for it, mate. So any book is fine? Fiction, nonfiction? Would Stephen King's novel be all right?
>>
>>24955907
Yeah, just make sure you work up to the harder works.
>>
>>24955555
Reading more has only made me feel more depressed and hollow. It just reminds me of all the things I can't be and can't have.
>>
>>24955789
You'll have better words to convince her it's a worthwhile investment of time.
>>
I only read fantasy books. Dragons, Space Marines, and Magic. What books do women like?
>>
>>24956005
50 Shades of rich Chad fulfilling theor rape fetish
>>
Does anyone know any books based on Roman characters/history around that time? Pretty much Historical fiction. Something not to heavy with the language though.
>>
>>24956005
>What books do women like?

No. You dumbass. Liking things that women like is not how you get women to like you. That's why feminists are repulsed by male feminists, they don't want men who just bend over and agree with them.

Read a book about how to get women to like you
>>
>>24956040
Read Augustus by John Edward Williams.

Also why not heavy with the language? You are limiting yourself, placing barriers on your own existence for no other reason than that you are lazy or afraid of a more intense cognitive experience. Unless you are willing to suffer you will never be anybody worthy of existence.
>>
File: notgonnaretypeallthis.png (217 KB, 1502x548) Image search: [Google]
notgonnaretypeallthis.png
217 KB, 1502x548
>>24955871
>Non-fiction self-help shit.

By respect for OP's quint, I have no choice but to comply and suggest the following 2 ebooks.
>>
>>24956053
>>24956033
Ok then what are some Non-fantasy books I can read in public without looking stupid?
>>
>>24956040
Simon Scarrow did a pretty good series on a Roman soldier that stretches like a million books. The one I read was in Roman Britain, Under the Eagle.

Enjoyable books, not too dense on the language and full of swashbuckle. 9/10 toilet read.
>>
>>24956093
LoIita
>>
File: futuristicyogi.jpg (30 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
futuristicyogi.jpg
30 KB, 575x323
>>24955555
>All of you who were smart as teens and feel empty headed and stupid now?

I think too much fapping, dehydration and poor diet screws up focus more than anything.

Meditation is like a back door to god mode if you do it right.
>>
File: 1364424266184 (1).png (77 KB, 264x240) Image search: [Google]
1364424266184 (1).png
77 KB, 264x240
>>24956093
>being afraid of being judged by random people because of your choice in books
>>
>>24955555
FIVE FIVES MEANS OP IS RIGHT
>>
>>24956093
Buy a kindle pleb.
>>
I've maybe thousands of books. Buddhism. Some Christian theology. Existentialism. More Fiction than Non-fiction, some war. I've studied political events throughout history, some basic science. It's all a pointless mental masturbation competition unless I come back with something at this point that I can share with people.

There's plenty of stupid stuff out there. There are rational ideas and then there are rationalizing ideas. or you focus less on intelligence and more on appearing intelligent.

if you are doing that, then here is not the first place to be. You have your developed hypotheses, and here you can get away with just step 1. you can change the narrative, once you control the conversation you can conclude it. but in order to change a wide variety of people's minds, you need evidence, specifics, arguments. and once you solve the problem you are no longer needed. so you keep looking for more important problems to solve.

Then you get into problems that aren't solveable, things that require years of dedicated study and actual first-hand-experience, and people who offer meta-cognitive solutions. it becomes a depressing, confusing, exciting place to be all at once. the only effective way to be is to put your ideas into practice, live by them. I was thinking I should just walk away from it all and become a computer programmer, start getting certifications and hope the ideas i've learned and the way to live i've figured out for myself isn't entirely wasted. but right now i've been stuck on something i read in matthew: something or other, about how bad trees don't bear good fruit and good trees don't bear bad fruit.
>>
>>24956005
Thirst Games: Fuckinggay part two
>>
File: 122.png (164 KB, 398x307) Image search: [Google]
122.png
164 KB, 398x307
>>24955803
Not subvocalizing is a bit of a meme imo. When I first started getting into reading I got a book on speed reading from the library and trained myself not to subvocalizing. I did definitely read faster, but I had to constantly keep in mind what information I was "searching for" while speed reading a given passage.

As I got more practiced reading I started subvocalizing again but it is at a very fast speed (like listening to someone talk really really fast with no pauses in between words). I probably read as fast or faster than when I started but I can just sit back and read on autopilot and still have good comprehension.
>>
>>24956086
I mean as long as it isn't old english, I'll be ok.
>>
>>24956145

How do you do it "right"?
>>
File: 289bpepe.png (289 B, 30x24) Image search: [Google]
289bpepe.png
289 B, 30x24
>>24955555
>tfw ADHD and can barely read for more than a few minutes at a time before my brain almost falls asleep
the only book I've finished is the hobbit
>>
>>24956306
The trick to reading books is to skim them. Particularly if they're non-fiction.

The author will make a point, and then they'll fill up a few pages telling stories and giving examples that support that point.

If you skip over most of those you still get the value of the point, without needing to have it drilled into your brain. Then move on to the next point. There should only be a handful of major points in the book. Then move on to the next book. Go back and re-read if you think it was particularly interesting.

Francis Bacon said "Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly."
>>
File: 1441965400649.jpg (97 KB, 480x455) Image search: [Google]
1441965400649.jpg
97 KB, 480x455
>>24955555
>Guys please start reading.
NO
>55555
still NO
>>
>>24956177
>>24956227

Its more about finding books easier to explain without having to describe the universe its in.

>Hey what are ya reading?
>Its called "Prospero Burns"
>Whats it about?
>Que 20 minutes of exposition that they usually tune out of around minute 2
>>
>>24956306
Get medicated my man. Concerta has changed my life. I still have my ADHD energy but I am able to focus it on a single task and see it through to completion.
>>
>>24956269
thanks for making this post for me
>>
>>24956352
You do that by being better at explaining stuff, or reading books that aren't gay.

I'm reading Kon Tiki right now. It's a book about Norwegian and American anthropologists who sailed a raft across the pacific to prove the point that Polynesian islands could have been colonized by South American Inca people.

Also people don't fucking ask me what I'm reading, so GET OUT NORMIE!
>>
>>24956306
Just force yourself to keep reading. It'll get easier the more immersed you get.

>>24956348
If you're reading for enjoyment/mental sharpness you need to read and understand it all.
>>
Some of us spend hours shitposting and getting mad for real or pretending to in threads. We read, just not the thoughts of a single individual spread over 400 pages.
>>
>>24955555
>read literally tens of thousands of pages online every week

>need to print those out and glue them together in order for it to count for something

I'm not sure that's how it works anon.
>>
>>24956421
Quality>Quantity
>>
>>24956440
>>24956440
Pwnd
>>
>>24956413
I can understand things without having to swallow page upon page of example and anecdote that supports the authors point.
>>
>>24956440
Alright, solid point. But you didn't say to read quality literature, you just said to read books. There are plenty of books that are barely higher quality than the shitposts here.
>>
>>24955555
im 25 years old and have never read a book
>>
>>24956483
7 people will now tell you about the one book you need to read.
>>
>>24955555
I would read more but every time I start a book I never finish even after a year let alone reading for a month. Plus books bore me to no end. I'll read news and articles but I can't just read for the sake of it. Also with college I feel like reading is time wasted that could be spent studying. Maybe I'll feel different when I graduate in the spring.
>>
>tfw used to read a huge amount but completely stopped when I discovered 4chan and spent all my waking hours on it

That is when my degradation began. I am trying to escape this pit.
At least I still read when I'm on holiday abroad without internet
>>
File: if you build it they will come.jpg (42 KB, 927x375) Image search: [Google]
if you build it they will come.jpg
42 KB, 927x375
>Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

>>24956294
Most people treat meditation as something you just do and hope to eventually progress at. Niggas can spend years or decades not making progress if they don't improve their "tool" or techniques.

The brain is the tool. Improving your brain function and power will allow for you to make improvement at an exponential rate.

Improving your technique and understanding will do the same.

Writing up a pastebin give me a little time.
>>
>>24956483
>has the ability to experience the product of humanity's greatest minds first hand
>willingly spoonfed this information second hand by television producers and underpaid teachers

Is this how plebs actually think?
>>
I'm just afraid of reading a bad book. I want to read something written by someone very intelligent, while also comprehensible. Like, The Sailor who fell from grace with the sea.
>>
>>24956523
Why would I read your gay pastebin when I could just read Eckhart Tolle?
>>
>>24956348
maybe, I want to read everything but maybe I have the wrong attitude, I need to hype myself up and have a positive attitude to get the norepinephrine flowing
>>24956369
I should get medicated but I am also stuck in the NEET quagmire, I have difficulty just doing things like not making a fool out of myself at job interviews
>>24956413
my neurotransmitter receptors are faulty, my brain cells don't get the energy they need when they are used for too long, at a certain point your muscles can't physically push anymore no matter how much willpower you have

I am genetically inferior and should just kill myself
>>
I read a whole lot in high school, because I would always finish my work early and just needed something to do. I read so much the library ran out of stuff that was 'in my range' so I just had to devour tom clancy novels for an entire year.

Once I got into college I tried to keep it up but just couldn't. As much as I liked reading I learned that I really only did it because I had nothing else to do. Today I read a lot, but it's newspapers and journal articles. I find almost all books repulsive to read these days. I don't know why. It's a struggle to even PRETEND to like reading.
>>
>>24956649
Why read Eckhart Tolle when you can read a pastebin written by a robot?
>>
>>24955555
Is that you, KoG?
>>
>>24956680
Wow, you're really deep in the 'mental illness' brainwashing. I feel really sorry for you, anon.
>>
>>24956680
So you're telling me you haven't paid attention to your favorite video game or movie for more than 45minutes? That's long enough to read a few pages. Give it a shot, don't give up
>>
Anyone read a book and then start thinking in the voice of a particular character for a while?
>>
>>24956743
Hell yes, best feeling.
I love when I read a book and become so submersed, the whole book plays like a movie in my head before I fall asleep.

The best and most constructive part about reading imo is turning the words into a visual story. Filling in the blanks and constructing the world around it.
>>
>>24955555
Any recommendations?

You've sparked my interest but I dont want to waste my time reading something and realize half way through.that it's shit.
>>
>>24956693
Tolle didn't strive for shit. He just had a mental breakdown that turned out tasty.
>>
>>24955555
>reading the paper jew

I'll stick to the good old fashioned electric jew thank you.
>>
File: hm.png (61 KB, 500x716) Image search: [Google]
hm.png
61 KB, 500x716
but fucking uni drains all life from my body I can't fucking concentrate on reading

I know I could be so much more better if I actually took time to do it but fuck me man my brain is filled with suffering
>>
File: 235346346.jpg (44 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
235346346.jpg
44 KB, 540x405
>>24956839
not OP but Terry Pratchett is a good read. The Discworld series is GOAT. Google that shit, yo.
>>
>>24956893
Yeah, same. But I think if we make an hour of time on the weekend to at least read part of a book ,we'll be OK.
>>
>>24956839

What do you like?

Fuck the robot
>>
>>24956738
feel free to submit your findings to peer review at any time

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2626918/

>>24956741
you don't have to think during those activities
>>
>>24956893
I applaud your lack of motivation, because it means I can get further with less effort.

I'm not going to tell you to try harder, because honestly I don't care if you succeed. If you suck at everything, that automagically makes the odds better for me. Hell, all I've been doing the last 5 years is maintaining, and I've been steadily moving up in the world in leaps and bounds.

So keep being a pathetic waste of air, anon - I'm counting on you :D
>>
>>24955555
Nice quints familia.
A slight remark. I've found that reading fiction or philosophy helps more so than reading scientific and technical texts. I feel much smarter during times I read those, compared to the usual state when I'm just reading for med school which is pretty advanced scientific reading. Somehow I think imagining the worlds from just text, or the deep thinking you need to truly grasp philosophy do something to rejuvenate your confidence in your mental capabilities, or maybe even increasing your cognitive abilities.
>>
>>24956839
http://4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Recommended_Reading

Use this and find something you like. If you dont live close by a library, download the pdf online.
>>
>>24956932
>reading scientific and technical texts.
Yeah I feel the same way. I think it has to deal with engaing the imagination.
>>
>>24956924
nice reverse psychology attempt
>>
>>24956483
I haven't read a book 'for fun' since ~8th grade. Not that I dislike reading, either. I know I should start reading again but there's just a lot of other things I enjoy more and would rather do.
That said, if I wanted to start reading I'd probably want to read about WWII. The tactics of war are astounding to me and I think books about that might actually be able to hold my dwindling attention.
>>
>>24956952
Yes, somehow scientific shit is somewhat soul draining rather than relaxing, even though you have to imagine many of the concepts, the fact that you have to think of them to a precise rather than your own interpretation, is what truly makes them lack that boosting quality other reading has.
>>
>>24956959
yea its really fucking cheap.
i mean a fucking kid wouldn't fall for it
>>
>>24956920
People who submit to their mental illnesses and let that limit them are scumworthy. This is coming from someone who has an objectively worse diagnosed 'mental illness' than you.
>>
>>24955555
you are confusing cause and effect
smart people tend to gravitate toward reading, but reading itself doesn't actually make you smarter.
>>
>>24957094
>you are confusing cause and effect
No, we're speaking from experience.
>>
File: 1442617634432.jpg (30 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
1442617634432.jpg
30 KB, 500x603
haven't read a book in years, where should i start? where should i go from there?
>>
>>24957187
>>24956936
First thing is that youre interested in what you read
>>
>>24955555
Lads I need a good fiction book to get into

Something high-level

Recommendations?
>>
File: IMRIGHT.png (306 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
IMRIGHT.png
306 KB, 500x376
I do read
I'm still on r9k
My life still isn't any better
what kind of reckless bullshit are you trying to sell here OP?
There is no magic fix
There is no JUST DO THIS AND EVERYTHING YOU WANT WILL HAPPEN

It's just escapism because thats all we want out of life now because everything we're told we should have to be happy just won't click into place for us
>>
File: 1361947543612.png (110 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1361947543612.png
110 KB, 268x265
>>24957410
>first link is a pdf written in comic sans
>>
>>24957467
Reading can only help bring you up to your genetic potential in terms on IQ. It seems you've reached yours and it isn't good enough.
>>
File: 1342038645637.png (976 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
1342038645637.png
976 KB, 650x1000
>>24957334
Here's exit-level.
>>
File: funposting.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
funposting.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>24957517
>IQ
>Reading helps
>GENETIC POTENTIAL

okay.
>>
>>24957743
Let's put it this way.

Guy never works out but is stronger than people who do.

Imagine if he worked out?

Get it ;^)
>>
>>24957525
I dont know aout that mate...
>>
>>24955555
I only read when I am travelling or waiting at the doctor. Terry Pratchett.
Long ago (like 15 years ago) I always read fantasy books and was always best of my class in my native language.
I had a time when I read some self improvement books, was good.
Now I read a book about game design and production, also a 1480 page long book about C#.

You have a good point, maybe I should try to always read something, even when it is only 30-60min a day.
Self improvement books must have double the value to improve right?
>>
>>24958359
>Self improvement books must have double the value to improve right?
I think books that encourage you to use your imagination, to build mental character models and backgrounds, do best. But, if you like self improvement, go for it.
>>
>>24955555
years i tried to solve this thing out, you summed it up perfectly. I doubt reading is the solution though
>>
File: wizard_in_disguise.jpg (48 KB, 346x517) Image search: [Google]
wizard_in_disguise.jpg
48 KB, 346x517
>>24956649
>Eckhart Tolle
>What a liberation to realize that the 'voice in my head' is not who I am.
>Who am I then? The one who sees that.

I would advise to stay away from people who've climbed a stair or two and thinks that they're now at the end of the stairway, when they've just stopped moving.

The "one who sees that" isn't you. That "one who sees that" disappears every few seconds to give its place to another "one who sees that".
The real "you", which is totally unlike what we basically think when we say "I", is what remains stable.
The voice in your head is the voice of a fool.
The one who hears it is but a temporary passenger.
Here's what happens when you cease to judge the content of that voice and search for its origin instead: you begin to climb three new stairs,
> At first nothing comes anymore
> Then nothing stays
> Then nothing leaves

What happens after that, I cannot say, for I'm still humbly trying to go through that stage myself.

> Tldr: be cautious of the "just be spiritual" advices, mine included.
>>
>>24955789
Because these fags are delusional and think these red herring approaches "just go read bro", "just go lift bro", "just go MGTOW bro" will actually help them get a quality relationship. They don't want to realize the fact that they have been fucked over by a combination of progressive society, bad genetics, bad parenting and lack of luck and are too old to ever get a quality relationship. So they spend all their time reading books, looking at fashion models and browsing what kind of whey will get them the most gains. Surely if they improve just a little bit quality women will be flocking at them.

In the end when it is too late they realize it was not them but their environment that was not suited to them. If you have a job and take some care of yourself there is no reason you shouldn't be able to find a girlfriend / wife other than your society. They waste their time trying to improve themselves for the spoiled western women around them while they could have much better spent their time looking elsewhere and perhaps even getting a mail order bride. There is no shame into investing in a relationship that is much more likely to last even if that investment is money, which is essentially a combination of your time and quality.
>>
>>24955555
TRUE CUZ QUINTS
>REEEEEE
>>
>>24958543
I think for most of us, it's 80% of the problem. COuld be diet as well.
>>
File: 1449808413100.jpg (86 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1449808413100.jpg
86 KB, 600x800
>>24956261
Kek
robot pls go
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.