[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT ask a sophomore philosophy major anything.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: th.jpg (28 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
28 KB, 480x359
ITT ask a sophomore philosophy major anything.
>>
>>24947131
What school?

Also do you know enough of any foreign language to read stuff in the original?
>>
Do I get fries with that?
>>
Why did you make this thread?

Are you a virgin?
>>
>>24947131
half caf latte, no sugar

thanks
>>
>>24947186
That's not even a question.
>>
>>24947131
>>24947131
It's the white ford taurus, thanks.
>>
>>24947148
NMSU

I can read German.
>>
>>24947204
jeez, i can see how you got your degree college boy
>>
>>24947186
>>24947151
Fuck off with this meme, I want to be a professor.
>>
File: TWO.jpg (7 KB, 224x188) Image search: [Google]
TWO.jpg
7 KB, 224x188
>>24947131
>cousin was a philosophy major in college and all around pretentious cunt
>outright tells the whole family that he is better than everyone else
>finishes school
>painted houses for a living because he couldn't get "a job in philosophy"
>mfw he killed himself 3 years out of school

Not making this up OP. See you on the news.
>>
Philosophy should be a hobby not a major
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 1280x720
>>24947131
Do Synths have souls?
>>
>>24947131
What are you a Major in?
>>
>>24947326
>going to college just so you can go back to college and teach what you just learned

Lmao
>>
>>24947312
How long did it take to learn enough kraut to understand philosophy?

Have you been studying since high school?
>>
>philosophy
>one of the most important fields in existence, especially when you consider the fact that mathematics are simply a branch of philosophy
>always seen as a meme just because people have been hypnotized by the jews into being slaves who were born to work and create a world FOR THEM
>>
>>24947345
Nothing unrespectable about physical labor jobs like painting or construction.

Killing himself doesn't mean he wasn't still better than you. Hell, you're on /r9k/.
>>
>>24947382
FO4 sucks and you know it
>>
What do you think about the existence of a God (not in a religious sense, more logical)?

Do you have any favorite ontological argument/counter?
>>
>>24947364
You could say this about pretty much anything that doesn't require some type of education certification.
>>24947398
>all professors do is teach
That's pretty much the least important part of the job.
>>24947131
Why would I want to ask a sophomore anything? No matter what major you are, you haven't learned enough interesting material to engage in serious conversation as a sophomore. That being said, I respect your choice of discipline. Philosophy is something I would have loved to go into but I ended up in math instead because I loved it more. I would have doubled in philosophy but I wanted to pick something a bit more practical to industry so I went with econ because as much as I wouldn't mind being a professor it's not the end goal at all.
>>
>>24947131
>Eastern vs western

Which and why?
>>
How would Nietzsche react to seeing this board?
>>
>>24947131
why haven't you suicided yet?

serious question btw
>>
>>24947486
You probably play Crysis, you goddamn plebian
>>
>>24947442
>always seen as a meme just because people have been hypnotized by the jews into being slaves who were born to work and create a world FOR THEM

This, the distinction between mathematics and science and the humanities is a very new one, propagated by the Marxist-sympathizing Jewish underclass that scrambled its way into American universities starting in the 60s and 70s. Most scientists historically knew several languages and had extensive backgrounds in philosophy and religion.

Today, most of them are immature, leftist autists with no modesty, who only pursue science for financial and social prestige. They live in a tiny world with no understanding of culture, history, race, and their place in the world.
>>
File: 1448639481980.jpg (29 KB, 316x414) Image search: [Google]
1448639481980.jpg
29 KB, 316x414
>>24947131
Do Gingers have souls or free will? Also, how many philosophical questions can fit into your anus before they become gay?

And last but not least, if i can have lucid dreams, why cant my dream Me have a lucid wake and make my nightmares come true for other people?

These things really bother me you know
>>
File: sheeple.png (46 KB, 376x401) Image search: [Google]
sheeple.png
46 KB, 376x401
>>24947589
Yep, and I bet you're nothing like any of them.
>>
>>24947326
nmsu is not that good of a school

you better have a 3.7+ and ace your GREs so you can actually get into a good grad school

academia is so ridiculously competitive. my uncle (dads cousin) who is a tenured philosophy professor and teaches at a top 100 school told me to not bother with trying to become a professor for philosophy. i ended up switching majors anyways because the classes were so easy they felt useless. although the material was fun.
>>
File: blood for the blood god.gif (834 KB, 440x248) Image search: [Google]
blood for the blood god.gif
834 KB, 440x248
>>24947131
>>24947326
>be philosophy major
>become philosophy professor in order to teach other philosophy majors how to teach philosophy...
>...so on and so fourth

Tell me, other than "teaching" what are the actual practical applications and marketable skills you can even get with this major? Yeah thinking is neat but unless you get lucky and land a book deal or some sort of teaching position, what else can you even do with this? Legitimate question fampai.
>>
>>24947131
Your major is a joke and the shit they teach you is worthless and doesn't make you smarter or better than anyone else.

Also, don't forget to hold the tomatoes, I really hate tomatoes.
>>
>>24947131
is gob real?
>>
>>24947131
Would you scan all your textbooks and make a torrent titled "philosophy class textbooks"?(no capitals)
Thanks.
>>
what fucking actual useful tangible thing does philosophy contribute to society
>>
>>24948323
jeez, i dunno?

maybe science that we are continuing to profit off of?

nah, not that.

self-help books.
>>
>>24947131
>ITT ask a sophomore philosophy major anything.
>sophomore
Why should anyone care to ask you anything? You are a child among people in a major for children. You are useless right now and to be honest you're not going to get much more useful even once you graduate, because your field is worthless. Can I get an email so I can hit you up to paint my house later down the line, you'll probably appreciate the work later down the line.
>>
File: 1448787046786.jpg (918 KB, 1000x1134) Image search: [Google]
1448787046786.jpg
918 KB, 1000x1134
>>24947131
devilishly disguised STEM masterrace thread my friend
>>
>>24948323
First off, what do I owe to society, and why do I owe it?
Second, see >>24947442

Mathematics is largely based upon logic, a branch of philosophy.
Not to mention the fact that philosophy has literally shaped the entirety of human existence. What drives people? Do you think humans simply act without even attempting to rationalize their actions? Of course not. With our level of meta-cognition, we would accomplish absolutely nothing without philosophy and religion.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.