[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I try to re-learn all of algebra/precalculus within the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: college.jpg (167 KB, 900x695) Image search: [Google]
college.jpg
167 KB, 900x695
Should I try to re-learn all of algebra/precalculus within the next 4 weeks so that I can place into calculus and all of the classes that require me to concurrently take calculus, or should I play it safe, staying one year behind and take college algebra and not be able to take calculus until next fall? Is it possible to re-learn everything up to calculus within 4 weeks using something like khanacademy?
>>
You have to believe in yourself. Do calc. I had this same problem last semester but decided to take risk it and take calc. Best decision I've made in a while.
>>
File: 1380566647296.gif (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1380566647296.gif
89 KB, 600x450
>college

How deeply in debt are you at this moment?
>>
>>24934049
Reviewing algebra and pre-calc is a good thing to do regardless. I would say go for calc if you can manage the studying, algebra and precalc really just require a lot of practice. If you have that stuff down calc won't be too hard.
>>
File: y.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
>>24934179
My grandma will be paying for everything, so zero.

>>24934135
>>24934213
I'm thinking of doing something crazy like 8-10 hours a day of khanacademy, starting at algebra, maybe doing it every other hour of the day so I get 8 hours in before I go to sleep if I i'm awake for 16 hours.

A single class in university that is worth 3 credit hours will result in 50-52 hours of lecturing per semester/class. If I did 8-10 hours a day for the next three weeks, I can easily get 160-200 hours, retake my ALEKS math placement, and hopefully test into Calculus. Is this a pipe dream or a possibility? I'll be the only person in my house during the day so I'll have no distractions, either.
>>
bumping for helpful opinions
>>
>>24934422
I think it's quite doable personally. did you have a lot of trouble learning it the first time?

it seems like what's important is passing the placement exam, after that you can review all you want and take your time while you spend the first part of calculus learning basic concepts
>>
>>24935134
just remember to practice a lot before the exam, math is all about practice
>>
>>24934049
You mean all of Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry? If you already know those and need a refresher and feel comfortable with them then sure.

But... if you go over it and still feel you don't know enough then I recommend you either delay it or not sign up.

There's A LOT of information in pre-calc. Like mind numbingly a lot. I decided to learn Calculus by myself and I use applied books to go there.

The amount of information in pre-calc is insane. It will take me at least 6 months with 6 hours a day to go from pre-algebra knowledge to calculus.
>>
>>24935169
>the amount of information in pre-calc is insane
isn't it literally the unit circle and trig identities that are really what you need to know, and the rest is just the application of all of that to algebra/geometry?
>>
Well why tf not?
>>
>>24935134
I've been a NEET for 2.5 years. I took the placement test back in August after no studying and earned a 29%. I need a 76% to test into Calculus 1. I didn't really have trouble with math until Pre-Calculus and that was only due to the absolutely abysmal teacher that everyone hated. I basically didn't learn anything in Pre-Calculus and never took Calculus in high school.

>i start in the spring
>>
>>24935580
You probably won't get the score you want, but being a semester behind isn't horrible. You'll get better grades probably.
>>
>>24935614
Well, I was placed in College Algebra, which means I would have to take one more class after this and THEN I would finally make it to calculus. I take classes during this summer too, so it wouldn't be until fall next year that I'd be in Calculus if I stayed with my score and took College Algebra. I'd need to score a 61% to be only one semester behind and take calculus during the summer.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.