[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone of you guys here a successful engineer? It seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: device.jpg (743 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
device.jpg
743 KB, 1920x1080
Is anyone of you guys here a successful engineer? It seems like nowadays evereyone is saying that you need le developed social skills and le networking to work in these jobs, too. Kinda makes me think about dropping the shit and just learning a trade.
>>
You always needed to network and have social skills to be successful in engineering dude.
>>
>>24931352
So no jobs for robots? I mean I'm not autistic just shy. I'd really like to know if any of the robots here managed to become an engineer.
>>
>>24931436
You can be an engineer just fine, you just won't be as successful unless you can come off as a normie.
>>
>>24931466
Ok, thanks mate. In your opinion, what differentiates a successful engineer from an unsuccessful one? Are you in the field yourself?
>>
>>24931575
Sorta, I did hardware for awhile but now do software.

You need to know what provides value to the customer and your business and you need to collaborate well with others. You can't not collaborate in an engineering position.
>>
It depends on what kind of autist you are. If you're super into school than some hr person will hand you a job immediately. I'm a normie and I can't find a job because I'm not autistic enough about engineering. Networking is also very important, but not with your peers. Knowing a bunch of students who also don't have a job and would gladly fuck you over to get one won't help you. You need to know people high up in companies. You can meet them by having your parents know them. If your parents don't know anyone, you're boned. I'd suggest trying to find shitty engineering jobs at small companies that pay well below average to get your three years in so you can apply elsewhere. Also, people will tell you to join clubs for hands on experience. That's bs, but can be fun. Most employers have just laughed in my face at my projects. Feels bad.
>>
>>24931326

can someone explain how the semiconducting wafer works to provide the cooling function on the braun shaver?

also the shaver is complete shit i can't shave properly it always leaves like full length hairs no matter how many times i go over or what angle i shave at

but it is a smooth shave ill give it that
>>
>>24931326
I'm a successful software engineer...
>>
Are you who I blame when I get some badly engineered trash?
Like how hard my fucking car is to work on?
>>
It really depends on the company and in what capacity you work at the company. Where I work, I hardly ever see some of the R&D engineers talk to anyone outside their own group. Of course, if you wanted to go in a managerial position, then you would have to develop a lot of soft skills and be relatively normie.
>>
>>24931352
Nope. I just jumped in, knew absolutely noone at the company nor did they know anything about me, they just liked the CV and the test results and I had the job, no questions asked.
>>
>>24932858
I'm an R&D engineer and we do just keep to ourselves. As you can imagine groups like this are magnets for autists.

You don't have to be social at all, just appear to be in the interview. No one wants to be with a loud outgoing dickhead in the office when everyone else is an insular sperg anyway.
>>
I used to go to an engineering uniersity but i quit and now i'm in the school of business, economics, finance, law and stuff like that.
This school is much friendlier for robots.
>>
>>24933011
Business and law are normie central here
>>
>>24934062
The people in this school are more social, more attractive, have more regular interests and are more ambitious so they're not more robotic but they're a lot easier to get along with.
They're more open and friendly.
In the engineering school you either ended up in a group of friends in the beginning or you were out. Also the engineers were more sjw.
>>
>>24931326
Engineering has been reduced to just manipulating spreadsheet the last 20 years. It is a normie meme profession now
>>
>>24934140
where did you go that the engineers were sjw? i went to an incredibly liberal school and the engineers were the most level-headed people i met during my time there

and op, you need enough social skills to actively communicate your ideas, problems, and solutions mostly. you can be a super autist bot whatever but if you're able to say "here's my drawing, we need to hit these dimensions, and here's how" and know what you're talking about that's really all the social skill you need
>>
>>24931326
While that is true (just like any job) keep in mind that you will be competing with turbo-nerd autists and awkward Indian/Asian guys so you should still have the edge in social skills compared to other careers.
>>
>>24932905
Note: Successful. You will not get too far beyond just being a CAD monkey if you are a social retard.
>>
>>24934295
Sweden.
In the school with business and such there's a lot more difference in peoples political opinions.
Plenty of people are nationalist here, one of my classmates is the leader of the youth organization of the political opposition.
There's not that much sjw shit here.
>>
File: 1449729597318.jpg (123 KB, 1190x944) Image search: [Google]
1449729597318.jpg
123 KB, 1190x944
Does anyone know how much benefit having good social skills is? I have a few connections to people in engineering firms and can feign not being an autist. Will it actually help or is it still drudgery for at least 3 years?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.