[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I go about getting a job? I'm a NEET who has never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: webprofileshot5-700x393.jpg (58 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
webprofileshot5-700x393.jpg
58 KB, 700x393
How do I go about getting a job? I'm a NEET who has never worked/volunteered anywhere before. I feel like I'd rather be a wagekuck than someone who idly sits around wasting his life on a shitty fucking image board.
>>
>>24926100
What are you good at? Any sort of experience you can offer to an employer? How old are you?
>>
>>24926117
Pretty much no skills besides basic computer stuff and typing.
No.
>>
>>24926100
go to a temp agency, explain the situation and they will place you somewhere shitty. put up with it for 6 months and trade up for something better
>>
>>24926149
>No.
>20.
Okay, you need to bullshit then. Say you've done volunteer work or something. Employers are going to look at your mostly blank resume and reject you. They are going to wonder why you didn't have a job at 17. Yes - they are going to reject someone who wants experience. Don't question the logic behind that.

Don't do this >>24926156 unless it's your last resort.
>>
>>24926100
just go to a government funded employment centre
>>
File: 1443828690887.jpg (21 KB, 350x369) Image search: [Google]
1443828690887.jpg
21 KB, 350x369
>24 y/o NEET
>want to be a wagekek
>know I'm at a disadvantage to be hired anywhere
>don't apply anymore, just waiting around and hoping a job magically falls into my lap

I had a job 5 years ago that I was pretty good at but feel like it's not even worth mentioning at this point. The only reason I ever got the old job too was because a friend was a manager. Your chances of getting a job anywhere if you know someone jump from 0.1% to 99.9%
>>
>>24926197
Alright, but what type of job should I aim for? What would be the best thing for a transitioning NEET?
>>
>>24926227
Try to avoid temp agencies. They are really, really shitty. You are going to hate life if you sign on with one. If you absolutely need money and it's life or death, then find a temp agency. If you can wait and get a real job, do that. Don't let your first ever job be a temp agency. That's a negative experience.

Anyway, what would YOU like to do? Unload trucks all day? Sort mail? Be part of an assembly line? Take inventory? Clean? Bag groceries? Stock shelves? Wash cars? Wash dishes?
>>
>>24926215
Time to get a trade and lie about the experience you have. That's literally your only chance.
>>
Hey I wanna bump in here and say I'm in the same situation as OP, I need advice too, I don't mind adding a few jobs to lie about but they won't try get references? I was thinking I'd just say McDonald's and some phoney volunteer junk. I don't know what I'd put though, and the last resume I made I guess sucked because nobody even called me back.
>>
>>24926262
I guess just something where social interaction isn't super key. I don't want to sperg out in front of someone.
>>
>>24926262
I've had two temp agencies. One was bad, though they did manage to get me work within the week I applied. Took them a long time to call me back, but by then another temp agency got me a job somewhere else.

Really helped me to get on my feet.
>>
>>24926290
You worked for a temp agency that went under and doesn't exist anymore. It was called something like Tetra Staffing. Your supervisor was Jason. You're just another temp who got fucked over and is looking for money. Happens all the time.

>nobody even called me back
Keep trying. A lot.

>>24926298
Don't do anything relating to customers, then. Even if it's stocking grocery store shelves. They'll expect you to adhere to a dress code, and they screen specifically for people that can be around customers.
>>
>>24926100

Where do you live anon? I'll get you a job.
>>
>>24926100
How about ACTUALLY volunteering for few months, or working on some project for free.

I know that it is not ideal BUT you will have to do it only before finding your first job.
>>
>>24926437
I'm sorry but I really don't want my career being jeopardized by this place.
>>
>>24926484
Back to reddit jew
>>
>>24926488

Your career? lmao you just said you're a NEET who has never worked before. You literally have no career or risk to speak of here.

It's a clerk job for a law firm, which actually looks quite nice on a resume. Plus if you're not a fucking retard and know how to sort things alphabetically and chronologically at a not abysmally slow pace then congrats, you've qualified with flying colors.
>>
>>24926437
I live in Philly, please get me a job.
>>
>>24926532
I appreciate the offer but no thank you.
>>
>>24926497
you can recommend him for a job in a strip-club your mom is dancing at
>>
>>24926328
I'm 18 you think they'll believe that? I have baby face, but I'm not dumb and I can follow instruction, I'd be an ok worker it's just depression and other aspie related stuff making me exhausted and giving me anxiety. I think I'd get over those though, if I had experience more, but maybe I'm not prepared.... >.< so full of doubt
>>
File: islmanim.jpg (282 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
islmanim.jpg
282 KB, 730x1095
>>24926553
I'm at Nova. I'm doing work right now so just one thing off the top of my head would be to work with City Year for a bit if you have no job experience. About 1k a month but if you do a decent job then you have a letter of recommendation, which is key to getting a decent job. I could find a lot of other shit
>>
>>24926693
actually it pays a lot more than that i think. idk just one thought
>>
>>24926693
I'm interested. I have some work experience, worked in an office for a year, worked at a research lab in Germany for a few months, and worked at a library. 1k a month would be perfect.
>>
Go on Purdue Owl, learn how to put together a resume. Even though you said you've never done anything, I'm sure you can think of some bullshit that you can put on there if you wrack your brains. Even anything extra you might have done in hs will do.

Set your sights realistically. Not too low (i.e., retail), but something that might afford a degree of upward mobility (for example, working as a server or in dining services somewhere with the goal of moving up and transitioning to the kitchen).

Pick out an outfit for interviews that is professional without being over the top. Decent button down shirt, dressy jeans/dress pants, clean casual shoes (not sneakers, but maybe not your shiniest dress shoes).

Be prepared to talk yourself up. Come up with a way to make your lapse in employment sound like you were spending that time pursuing something else. Lie and say you were taking courses or something, your employer isn't going to check that shit. Whatever you go with, sound humble but unapologetic. Convey that you are eager and willing to learn the ropes.

Be prepared to have three references. If you're a typical robot, this might be hard. Find three people who are willing to say nice things about you who aren't directly related to you. They can even be people who are technically related to you but have different last names. Again, your employer's not going to look too hard into it.

Research the usual questions asked in a job interview and prepare some good sounding answers. You need to seem confident, so losing your spaghetti because a question threw you for a loop is not going to help your case.

My go to website for job hunting is Indeed. I work in culinary though, not sure if it's suited to all fields. Check around. Hit up the classifieds. Craigslist might even be a viable option.
>>
>>24926706
I go to uni though so it would have to be part-time or I'd have to wait until April when I can go on co-op (basically where I can work nearly wherever I please).
>>
I don't care about resumes or getting a job. It doesn't matter. Just showing off shit. I don't need to be a wagekek because I don't care anymore.
>>
>tfw get interviews
>never get hired

fuck the "tell me about yourself" question fucks my shit up
>>
>>24926945
Fuck me too, I get so shaky during interviews and try to tell jokes that don't work.
>>
>>24926887
Have you searched for a job at your University? At Nova I make $20hr at the school gym; Personal trainer and just bs scanning cards while on phone. I also do tutoring to dumbfucks and make between 18-30 depending on course. Its not a ton of money but I get whatever hours I want and doesn't interfere with school.
>>
>>24927021
That's where I usually work but they're all work-study jobs and this year I didn't get my work-study because my dad fucked up the financial aid. I've applied for all the ones that say they accept non-work-studies and they never get back to me.
>>
>>24927064

>my dad fucked up the financial aid

Off topic, but this problem made me rage throughout my entire college experience.

>dad turns in fafsa late as fuck every single year
>lose out on financial aid and work study opportunities every time
>why the fucking fuck did you pressure me to go to college, if only for me to assume all of this debt and wasted time
>>
This is the age of information, learn how to program or how to webserver, spend some months learning how to unix+apache+php or similar, then go to job interview and show them what you are capable of (work on some examples of your work)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
If a post contains illegal content, please click on its [Report] button and follow the instructions.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need information for a Poster - you need to contact them.
This website shows only archived content and is not affiliated with 4chan in any way.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 1XVgDnu36zCj97gLdeSwHMdiJaBkqhtMK