[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Silly things that bother you even though they shouldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1241128228402.jpg (70 KB, 1259x720) Image search: [Google]
1241128228402.jpg
70 KB, 1259x720

>when people say "is because"

Now I'm not an English major, so I can't say with 100% certainty that this is syntactically incorrect, but I when I was taught rhetoric and essay-writing, we were strongly persuaded not to use it.
When you really look at it closely and say it out loud to yourself, it just intuitively sounds weird anways, doesn't it?

>"The reason [blah blah] sucks is because [blah blah blah]."
It's inefficient and un-eloquent to start a sentence with "The reason..."

It's much more fluid and refined to start off with the subject.
>"[blah blah] sucks because it [blah blah blah]."

Much nicer, isn't it? Remember this next time you are conversing/writing.

The reason I made this thread is because I don't like the phrase "is because." ;)
>>
>>24924790
Thanks cutie ill remember this when writing my 50 word essay due in two hours :'(
>>
>>24924790
when people call me a faggot and tell me to kill myself
>>
Second one is better but the first one is also correct. "because" is also an adverb
>>
>>24924790
The former sounds less natural but it adds emphasis to the reason itself, like

>X sucks because Y
>I disagree, the reason X sucks is because Z (as opposed to Y)
>>
wouId of
>>
>>24925130
"had went"

People early 20s and younger are starting to say this.
>>
>>24924790
>misusing "literally" to mean "figuratively"
>tfw the above is actually dictionary-supported now fuck me

>pretty much any tumblr lingo

I dated a Tumblr chick for a long time and she went full deep-end crazy. That's pretty much the reason behind 90% of my #triggers.
>>
I could care less about your pet peeves.
>>
The context for saki to say that in op is because why?
>>
>>24925241
I could care less what my dick tastes like, but that ain't gonna make me stop shoving it down your throat, faggot.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.