[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of options
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: hms.jpg (64 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
hms.jpg
64 KB, 576x324
Im thinking about joining the Navy
iv fucked up at college and i wasn't enjoying the subject anyway
I think im just gonna focus on getting fit enough to join up so ill at least be able to do something, anyone else in the same boat?
same boat ha, get it/spoiler]
>>
Doesn't the navy have raised standards nowadays though
>>
What are the jobs in the navy where you get to travel the most
I don't give a shit what it is as long as it's not toilet cleaning or whatever, I just want to see other places and move around all the time.

Im not American so not something that's restricted to the US navy
>>
>>24887923
>not American

Well where are you from? Airforce guys usually travel a lot I've heard.
>>
>>24888219
Europe
Air force guys travel a lot? I thought it was the opposite and that the air force was the most static branch. What positions would involve a lot of traveling
>>
>>24887600
>anyone else in the same boat?

Kinda. I'm the literal faggot who was medically discharged from Coast Guard Boot for anxiety. It's been two years and I've actually made peace with the fact that I was probably never going back until my recruiter emailed me last week saying my medical waiver went through. I can go back as soon as I redo my physical and clean up my finances.

>>24887923
>What are the jobs in the navy where you get to travel the most

All of them you tard. It's the Navy, you live and work on a boat. Navy vessels go out to sea for 6-9 months at a time depending on the size of the vessel. Aircraft Carriers can be gone for as long as a year. Even the Coast Guard leaves port for an average of three months at a time.

As far as cleaning duty. Everyone E6 and below (probably some junior officers too) ends up scrubbing toilets and swabbing decks.
>>
>>24888282
I imagine being in the navy would be boring because of what this anon said
Being stuck on a boat for that long would be fucking torture to me
>>
>>24888282
I thought there were a lot of navy jobs that involved just staying on an installation and doing boring shit like maintenance or signaling.
>>
>>24888380
Any job that needs to be done on land needs to be done on a boat as well. Especially the aircraft carriers (the USS Nimitz has it's own legal department on board). I'm not sure what the exact sea/shore rotation is for the navy but I can imagine its something along the lines of three years sea two years shore.

For the Coast Guard 75% of our units are afloat with each term lasting one to two years. However because we're so small there are exceptions to that. My recruiter spent most of his career on buoy tenders in Philadelphia because he loved that area and that's a hard billet to fill.
>>
>>24888661
since I'm not american I don't know if it works the same way though (your cunt has a massive military budget and the navy is no exception, it's around ten times my cunt's budget)

are there navy jobs which involve infantry? I know that's a contradictory question but I think the navy doesn't offer much firearms training (excluding the seals for you guys)
>>
>>24887875
I wouldn't think so, with all the women and trannies trying to join up.
>>
I'm joining the army to get out of my parent's house. I can't go to college because I've never enjoyed school and fucking hate normies. I've been a NEET for two years now can't take it anymore.
>>
>>24887600

Seeing as you aren't american OP, why not join the merchant marines instead? All the sail about on a boat, but less military BS
>>
>>24888987
How do you get a job on a merchant ship?
isn't it much easier if you have navy experience though?

my dream is to sail around on some kind of cargo or research vessel with a small, tight-knit crew and go to various places
Seems hard to achieve though
>>
join the Air Force so you can fly badass alien ships brah

youtube.com/watch?v=MvacG_nhD34
>>
what are the comfiest military jobs
>>
>>24888661
If you join for 4 years and are assigned to a ship, you will be on that boat for 4 years.
If you re-enlist and are able to find a job opening on shore, the you go there.
Most jobs are at sea, females get priority pick, so the land based jobs fill up quick, then there is seniority, rank gets first dibs.
Everybody cleans, sometimes in port you might be made to clean a 6' by 6' space for 8 hours.
All rates(jobs) in the Navy have to do what is called TAD (temporary assigned duty) it lasts 6 months, you might normally work on the flight deck, but now you get to clean officers staterooms, do their laundry clean their toilets, or you might end up doing scutt work for the cooks, all the real shit jobs are TAD and everyone gets an assignment, especially if you are considered a fuck up, faggot or non-team sailor, some guys do back to back TAD's.
Sometimes you make a port call but only officers and chiefs get to leave the ship, because the town is too small.
Find a job that has shore and sea possibilities, and a career path in the real world.
Some great choices are Mater at Arms (police), Firefighter, even Cooks, all these transfer to the real world, and have openings on all ships and all shore bases.
Remember at sea you work 12-16 hours a day (minimum) and work is 7 days a week, if you are in the engineering ratings, because of the heat you work two 8 hour shifts a day, really great.
They try to put people into ratings that they will fail the training so you can be moved to a job no one wants.
You have no privacy, and barely enough room to store anything, try this put everything you might want in a school backpack, that's it, your required items will take up 80% of your allotted space.
If you do not like having women or minorities telling and ordering you what to do, sometimes even humiliating you hoping for a reaction, then find another job.
You get to live in a space 30 feet by 90 feet with 300 other people
Good Luck
>>
>>24888830
>navy jobs which involve infantry

Yeah, the Marines

> I think the navy doesn't offer much firearms training (excluding the seals for you guys)

Not true. Both the Navy and the Coast Guard offer weapons qualifications training for both pistol and rifle. It's just not required, and barely covered in boot camp.
>>
>>24888344
Yeah, fuck staying on a boat with people to talk to with every imaginable amenity for 6 months when you could stay in your room alone for the rest of your life
>>
Hey I'm actually in A school right now anon, its cool and easy, my rate is STG, which is sonar technician.

Bootcamp is so easy if you aren't fat. Very easy. So easy you'll wonder if you're even in bootcamp.

I fucking love this, I think I will probably end up in Japan eventually too, and Hawaii, probably Australia, Singapore.

I can't wait to get out and use the GI bill to get a degree and not have to worry about paying for college.
>>
>>24890151
Coastguardfag here. How much required knowledge do they make you memorize in Navy boot camp? In the Coast Guard it's literally 20 pages of material that you have to know verbatim otherwise you get kicked down a company
>>
>>24889654
>12-16 hours a day

How is that even possible? How can anybodys body go that long? There are women in the Navy and relatively weak people. Ive seen all sorts.
>>
>>24890223
We just had to take three tests, not verbatim at all, they were like ships armaments history shit like that, who the fuck joins the coast guard then?

There are too many stupid people in the Navy to be doing shit like that
>>
>>24890333
You lucky niggers! I'm not even exaggerating on the 20 pages part, I still have the pamphlet they gave me. Its 10 sheets of paper with required knowledge on both sides. And that's not including the 600 page PQS text book that we took our midterms and finals on.

As far as who joins the Coast Guard, it's mainly older recruits and college grads. The average age of recruits is 25, and a third of my company had at least an Associates degree before arriving.
>>
>>24890305
It depends on your job
I was on an aircraft carrier, worked on the flight deck
When we flew, we worked, however long flight-ops lasted you worked
Maintenance stuff still had to be done, before and after flight-ops, we had to scrub down the flight deck once a week and were constantly removing and replacing the diamond deck coating on the flight deck
You worked until you were told you could go sleep, then get up and do it again
You are a cog in a machine, a part, you work when they say for as long as they say
You even give up most, almost all of your constitutional rights when in the service
That's why they recruit the young, when you get older you look around and say fuck this.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.