[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who /engineeringstudent/ here? Can you tell me what it's like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
who /engineeringstudent/ here? Can you tell me what it's like?
>>
suicide-inducing
>>
>>24887136
That sounds more exciting that other majors, tbqh.
>>
>>24887107
What flavor? I'm mechanical. First two years are easy enough if you're mathematically-inclined. Years 3 and up are ramp up the difficulty decidedly, sometimes with material, but more often with the time investment required. More homework. More projects. More required human interaction.
>>
What I imagine r9k is irl

You'll hate everyone unless you're a massive faggot
>>
>Those niggers in the second row still using pen-and-paper
Poorfags gonna poor.
>>
>>24887179
Depends on the specialty. Software and electrical splits between the spergs and the white knights, but mechanical, industrial, and petroleum are filled with chads.
>>
>>24887107
Haven't done much with actual engineering but boy are they bad at physics. I grade papers for the course all the engineers have to take and it's fucking painful sometimes. Assholes don't know what to do if they dont have numbers.
>>
>>24887216
True, mechanical has normies and chads
>>
>>24887246
CUZ WE WANT TO WORK ON RACE CARS BRO SO SICK MY PHONES WALLPAPER IS A LOW RESOLUTION PHOTO OF A LAMBO YO
>>
Sad, lonely, and uninspiring. I couldn't make it through.
>>
>>24887179

this desu

everyones a failed normalfag trying to fit in

maybe 10% of a class is actually smart, the rest are just a bunch of morons barely scraping by through a combination of cheating, asslicking, and some amount of hard work.

interesting field though if you dig what you're studying. Just distance yourself from everyone and you'll be alright.
>>
>>24887315
>cheating, asslicking, and some amount of hard work.

this was so funny to me for some reason
>>
File: red-apple-natural-f.w-16946-p.jpg (46 KB, 400x456) Image search: [Google]
red-apple-natural-f.w-16946-p.jpg
46 KB, 400x456
Is it a good idea to be in the engineering dorm? I somehow got into it even though I'm not actually an engineer major yet and didn't even apply for it like you're supposed to. Did I run into a goldmine for easy help or should I room in a normal dorm?
>>
>>24887423
I'd argue it would be useless unless you are majoring in something engineering related yourself
>>
If I had study ethics and the self-confidence, I probably could have taken an engineering program.
>>
>>24887287
literally my roommate the first year, fortunately he gave up and switched to business pretty quick
>>
>>24887461
I am taking the same classes but I have to be accepted into the major during my second year before I'm actually an "engineering major". My university is big and well known, but handles majors weirdly.
>>
just do regular dorms, no need to surround yourself with faggotry if you arent even sure they will be fags with the same major as you.
>>
took a semester in college for it, first semester was just enligsh and math classes, failed 2 out of 3 classes, never went back. im fucked up in the head and lazy.
>>
Not engineering, but I have a degree in math with a minor in computer science. Lots of homework, but nothing you can't handle. Study and do well on tests, you'll be fine.
>>
File: f'c3.png (155 KB, 327x245) Image search: [Google]
f'c3.png
155 KB, 327x245
Civil engineering student here. First 2 years are the most important everything is built off the foundations of physics and mathematics.

Some classes are really cool, I've gained a new appreciation for structures because I have a fundamental understanding behind the mechanics of structural integrity. Some classes are boring as shit, and sometimes its really frustrating because you cant figure out where certain numbers come from in a problem. Alot of engineering problem solving is based on assumptions and simplified models.
>>
>>24887315
>>24887407

You guys are autistic faggots, most people are cool, and you want to make friends b.c when it comes time to graduate and you're looking for a job everyone one knows the same shit, but not the same people. Its about knowing other people who can help you out.
>>
Physics major here. Pretty hard familia. Especially the math. I have great respect for pure math majors.
All this proofing shit is pretty hard if you aren't an autist.
>>
File: y.jpg (59 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
y.jpg
59 KB, 500x375
>>24887832
pro ass licker detected
>>
engineering major here

about to be forcefully penetrated by a physics exam
>>
>literally everyone using a macbook
fucking college kids
>>
study medicine, you will get laid
>>
engineering is great
> barely ever need to take notes (depends on the class) because profs post the slides online
>can skip classes a lot because of this
>classes are straightforward, no bs
>not much memorization required, you just have to understand the content
although it will take up a lot of your time
>>24887315
this guy probably went to a shit uni because most of my classmates are smart, motivated, and know what they're doing. seems like he has a superiority complex too
>>
Studying EE. Chose it before it was a meme.

My school is majority engineering majors, so I'm mostly surrounded by smartish people. If you go to like a big state school or similar you'll likely be surrounded by retards. That said, theres still a lot of dummies here.

EE is sperglords, whiteknights, wizards, and like two girls (and the actually smart people like me /sarcasm)
ME is chadbros and retards who cry about every class in their curriculum
Im not sure if ChemEs even exist, Ive only ever known one
Biomeds are cool
CivilE is for nerds
EnvironmentalE is for even bigger nerds
Compsci is spergs and normies, no inbetween
CompE is basically EE
AeroE isnt offered ar my school

Make sure to join some group that wont be dominated by le nerd culture or you'll want to end your life. I'm part of a sports club at my school and it improves my life significantly.

Dont study engineering just because you thought you were smart in highschool. Ive seen plenty 'smart' people fail out of school.
>>
>>24890259
Did you consider yourself to be smart in high school?
>>
File: 1366181084866 (1).jpg (43 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1366181084866 (1).jpg
43 KB, 1920x1200
>>24887107
>mfw glorious economics student
>mfw the only subject that really matters
>>
File: 1395826471836.jpg (21 KB, 218x265) Image search: [Google]
1395826471836.jpg
21 KB, 218x265
>>24888769
>mfw I'm a med student and I'm reading this
>>
It's a cockfest
>>
>>24890374
Yeah I was one of those le smart but le lazy types, but i got my shit together since hitting college.
>>
>>24887210
I prefer paper and pen notes over using my laptop
But I study chemistry so I have to draw a lot
>>
>>24887107
I'm doing physics, but a good chunk of my friends are engineers. I can't tell whether it's I'm very, very good at physics, or their majors are just balls hard.

They all says it's balls hard.
>>
it sucks dick and i hate my school
>>
Electrical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering?
>not providing explanation
>>
>>24890673
Aero if you want to work 80+ hours a week in industry

EE if you want to be a wizard
>>
>>24890546
fellow physicsfag here. Engineering is not that hard hard, with the exception of some classes like vibes, but they do involve a shitload of work. If you saw some of the work they have to do you would most likely consider it easy, not because you are so much smarter than then, but because physics is taught with most of the emphasis put on the fundamentals and problem solving ability. Engineering is mostly plug n' chug formulas.
>>
>>24890832
>EE if you want to be a wizard
I see this said all of the time. Why is this? Is it because it's very math-intensive and electronics are like 'magic'?
>>
>>24890907
Both that and ees are wizards in the /r9k/ sense as well
>>
>>24887423
pretty good idea

If you can socialize at all (tall order, I know) then you can get a lot of help and support that will make homework and studying less painful. You can also get very useful tips for exams and stuff like that if you know lots of fellow students because some of them will be friends with kids that have already taken the course and know all about the tests.
>>
CompE and math double major reporting in

it's a lot of fun if you like mathematics, but it's also a fucking shit-load of work
>>
File: 1447379043576.png (32 KB, 488x434) Image search: [Google]
1447379043576.png
32 KB, 488x434
>Civ E
Math classes and geology are 10x more fun than physics classes
>>
>>24887107
>be in college
>have to choose a picture thats important to us and do a presentation on it
>faggot macfag chooses pic related and talks about how apple is changing the world and the voice of a new generation
>few months later steve jobs is kill
>faggot cries and talks about how jobs was like a father to him
>errrrrryone wtf'n
>even the ultra lib sjw girl made fun of him for that
i think he's a faggot now or something
>>
File: 1449530907191.jpg (444 KB, 957x1118) Image search: [Google]
1449530907191.jpg
444 KB, 957x1118
Anyone here majoring in agricultural engineering?

How hard is it compared to other engineering branches? I'm planning on majoring in that next year.
>>
>>24887107
>finished bachelors degree this semester.
>life is good.
>still present at uni due to grills.
>they exploit me for free tutoring.
>people get paid for this stuff.
>i deserve bj but i dont care because all hope is lost already
>>
The womyn in engineering are the worst I've ever seen. I would say they're worse than your typical Stacy since they believe they're something special just because they're le womyn in stem.

God help you if you imply even one that she's not a perfect special snowflake or if you refuse to spoonfeed her the answer if she demands it.

They are more than happy to cry misogyny just to get their way. You're not safe even if you're the professor.

Any retard saying that engineering is safe from feminists is a fucking retard.
>>
>tfw graduated in a shitty market
>get job as a project engineer
>it's all fucking paperwork
>I'll never get to design anything cool, stuck in the pipeline for project management
>literally wasted 4 years learning cool stuff to do a job that a guy without a degree to do

Should I go get my masters to break this cycle? I definitely do not enjoy project engineering
>>
>>24887107
I just finished first year. The content is not so bad, somethings are actually interesting. But the cohort were the biggest bunch of mgmt meme spouters you'll ever see. And at my uni a lot of group work is mandatory
>>
Got my statics exam in 9 hours, going to be up all night studying for it. 1st semester is general, ill be doing ece in the second semester. The material is pretty easy for me to understand but i havent practiced enough questions at all.

My counselor told me that he would have expected me to drop out of high school given my childhood, so im just happy that I made it to college. Its going to take me quite a while to get rid of the habits I had from being a depressed recluse from the age of 13 to 19 but im getting there, bit by bit.
>>
>>24891140
i teached them that every spoon fed awnser i give them is a missed opportunity to solve the awnser in the exam.

they hate me
but i am free
lol
>>
>>24891307
I just finished a statics and dynamics course. Good luck
>>
>>24891140
There are a shit ton of women in my area of study(Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and pharmacy) which clearly are STEM majors
>>
File: 1427556726504.png (29 KB, 605x372) Image search: [Google]
1427556726504.png
29 KB, 605x372
>>24887210
> not knowing that it provides better retention
> mfw
>>
File: 1445895239400.jpg (188 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1445895239400.jpg
188 KB, 750x750
What's computer engineering like family? Is it full of spergs? Are really no girls?
>>
>>24891140
Really?
All the girls in engineering that I know are pretty cool. Pretty normal. Half of them are super tryhard and would probably study 25 hours a day if they could. The other half are as normal as any normal guy. In fact, I'd say the majority are tryhards, rather than normal actually.
Of course, there aren't even many girls in the slightest sense of the word.

It's the art students here that are tumblrists feminazi annoying special snowflake cunts.
>>
>>24891372
lets be real 10% grill is still good by your standards
>>
>>24891399
I started noticing it in my 3rd year when my school really started going on the SJW bender it's still going through.
>>
File: 1446760078833.jpg (64 KB, 433x800) Image search: [Google]
1446760078833.jpg
64 KB, 433x800
>>24891407
Better than none. Are they all sperg lords too? I just want a qt 3.14 gf so dad will think I'm normal
>>
>>24891479
lel like we will get one ever
>>
>>24891399
>>24891471

50% of most engineering majors at my school are now women. The bitchiness really amplifies when you get them all together and tell them all they're special and imply that they can use the administration as a weapon against anyone who dares to think differently.
>>
MechE vs ChemE?
>>
>>24891545
>>24891545
chemE more $$$ mechE more relevant work
>>
File: 505_Eugene_Explaining.png (407 KB, 541x706) Image search: [Google]
505_Eugene_Explaining.png
407 KB, 541x706
>>24891525
Nigga can hope
>>
>>24891545
EE or ME
>>
>>24891307
Statics was easy, but that's because our professor really doesn't give much of a fuck.
Easy A or B or whatever he decides to give me, but can't say I learned anything at all so I probably won't take him for dynamics next semester if I can help it.

>>24891533
Wew that's a lot.
Well there are only about 120 people in my engineering class, I guess.
>>
File: 1445301762802.jpg (47 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
1445301762802.jpg
47 KB, 500x419
H-how hard is computer engineering? Is it all sperglords?
>>
>>24891633
Didn't yo just ask this question lke 5 posts ago
>>
>>24891609
I think they shoehorned a shitload of girls in during my 3rd year from the undeclared list because lolquotas.

There sure as hell weren't even that many engineers admitted to my graduating class when I was a freshman.
>>
>>24891645
Not me, habibi
>>
>>24891586
hope is till real... kinda

i will report if i profit for my selfless intention efforts (-> dont expect it)
>>
Are CompSci majors all assholes? The people I know who are into coding are pompous cunts.
>>
>>24891754

i dont get it but yeah for some reason

i think they are scared that people figure out that all the know is something anyone else could know
>>
>>24890447
You'll eventually get laid when you're an attending
>>
>>24887107
that class is far too white to be engineers
>>
>this massive amount of engineering circle jerking not just on 4chan but everywhere on the internet like its the new premed degree

your field is going to be so oversaturated it will be ridiculous. from what i hear its already gotten to that point with some fields of engineering.
>>
>>24891850
nigga black is 15% better than white
>>
>>24887107
I have a BS in physics and working on an MS in electrical engineering

Just major in physics, it's a lot easier than engineering and then you can do your masters in engineering
>>
>>24891871
yep
my class has the highest amount of engineers going into it ever
>>
>>24891871
true... but literally who dosnt need a coding underdog
>>
>>24891904
How many of those kids are going to finish though? We had massive attrition rates at my school when we experienced the same freshman overload.

The only field I really see getting too saturated is computer science because it's not impossible at many schools to fake your way through it for 4 years and usually it's the go-to for people who couldn't hack it in other eng majors
>>
>>24891995
I dunno
Quite a few are dropping out desu
I'm at the point where I should be dropping out myself. But I have nothing else to go to so I'm stuck in it.
>>
>>24892065
That's the position I'm sort of in. Don't really care for it, but I'm able to hover just above a 3.0 GPA and I don't really like anything else so I just say fuck it
>>
>>24892065
only people are dropping out who whre int it for the neet bux.

>not 2x profiting from neet exploits
>>
>>24892118
>but I'm able to hover just above a 3.0 GPA
That's good though.
Not spectacular, but you're at a point where don't really need to worry about much since it's average.

Me on the other hand....
>>
>>24892209
my school curves engineering classes to a 2.7. I don't get that at all. Practically every job listing wants at least a 3.0, so they're shooting people in the foot.
>>
>>24891754
I don't think I'm an asshole. But then again I'm on r9k.
>>
>wanted to go aerodynamics and deal with electrical systems in planes
>don't know where to go for that
>just went electrical/mechanical at local community college
I-I made the right choice, right?
>>
>>24892227
Yeah, I automatically can't apply to like 60% of jobs without because my GPA is too low.

>>24892323
Do community colleges have engineering programs? I know schools have to be accredited or whatever, so I wouldn't really expect local community colleges to have that.
>>
>>24892387
Yeah, mate.
My CC has electronics, mechanical, civil, mechatronics, computer, and a couple others that I'm forgetting.

Some of the shit they have are learning straight systems, which seems more for specific jobs, or just people who already have those jobs and decided to come to school for those specific jobs.

I can't get experience for life out of this shit, tbqh. I dunno how people get into these fucking plants, or even gain any exp.
>>
>>24892387
I think that GPA thing is so stupid. Evidently you can't give everyone As but some schools like Stanford more or less do that. It fucks some people over majorly.
>>
>>24891871
engineering is getting oversaturated, but that's true for nearly every field

plus engineering is less saturated compared to the majority of degrees
>>
>>24892387
they're not the same as engineering programs offered at uni though. they''ll be technicians working under real engineers
>>
File: pepe angry.jpg (47 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
pepe angry.jpg
47 KB, 403x392
>>24891871
its all about the $$$.

business used to be the go to because
>im gonna own my own buiness and make millions lol!"
now look at it. laughing stock of the campus.

Then it was Law
>im going to be a big successful lawyer and make millions!
now thats going down the drain lately as well.

then it was medicine, only sustained because of the absurd admission requirements. That led to another problem, a shit ton of biology students who couldnt give a fuck about their subject graduating with *technically* a STEM degree.
>THERES NO JOBS IN STEM!
no, theres no job for you because you scraped by with a worthless degree for a dream you couldnt accomplish

Now engineering is up to bat. I mean, jeez my dumbass next door neighbor is going to college for engineering and hes never EVER shown interest in math at all. he thinks its all about designing cars probably because some retard high school counselor told him "oh you wanna make stuff? engineering is good and brings in the $$$"

I wonder what the next flavor of the decade will be? /sci/ has their assholes clenched in anticipation as they wait for their nukE degrees to be relevant. meanwhile chemE, mechE, and compE are already dying. I just checked BLS for petroleum engineering and I dont know where the hell they are getting 26% growth in the next 10 years, because petroleum is notorious for lay offs. maybe because gas prices are down again? fuck if i know.

I'm flustered because I'm in the same boat. Chemistry is oversaturated because of bio majors wanting lab tech positions and the next wannabe Walter Whites. I'm a senior now and ive tried to get internships. if that's how the job market is, then I'm praying one of my PhD apps gets me in somewhere. at least then I can get more experience, make enough to live on my own researching what i want, and come out to a job (?).
>>
>>24890259
>>24887246
Correct about ME. It really fucking sucks. Normies are slobs and chads are obnoxious. I really wish I went Comp Sci instead. But I don't like aspie white knights either so I guess fuck me
>>
>>24892512
iktf man

im in comp engineering and i genuinely enjoy nearly all my classes and what im doing. then i talk to my classmates and most of them just say theyre in it for the money.
>>
>>24892580
I'd also like to add that engineering isn't all that hard. Just guess on questions that you don't know and you'll get like half credit. Make sure to do better than average because that'll get you at least a B. Doing better than average isn't too hard because there are some real dumb asses in there. Good luck
>>
>>24892627
I feel like if you genuinely enjoy it you're more likely to finish the course, get the degree, and get a job over the people who are just in it for the money.

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass. I'm in the same boat with computer science and how I'm now hearing the dank "le cs degree lelel" maymay.
>>
>>24889839
I'm pretty sure you're one of those retards just scraping through engineering.
>>
>tfw Law and Business

I don't know why I thought this was a good idea. I would drop out but I don't want to waste my parents money I don't have clue what else I'd be doing otherwise.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.