[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You should read this if you want to know whats going on with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 61gafoq4XBL.jpg (82 KB, 907x1360) Image search: [Google]
61gafoq4XBL.jpg
82 KB, 907x1360
You should read this if you want to know whats going on with you. Or like some reviewer put it

> If you, like me, lack whatever elusive neurochemical soup that is required to fully participate in the song and dance of existence, you've been searching for someone, some text to organize your horror for you.Ligotti does this in a voice that is clear, relentless and absolutely riveting.
>>
>>24886351
i've read it. i felt the same way, and it felt good to have an explanation for how i was feeling. but a little while afterwards, like most things that promise certainty, you realize it probably isn't that simple and the truth its near impossible to fully pin down your depression or feelings because there are just so many factors and influences, even subconscious or chemical ones.

it also, always comes down to the chicken and egg predicament. maybe you agree with it because you are depressed. or maybe you're depressed because you agree with it. its impossible to tell and viewpoints arent static either, they shift over time..etc

tldr; good book, but mind is too complex to really pin down. like an always shifting body of water, you cannot say its shape..
>>
will add to my list

thanks opie
>>
>>24886474
>it also, always comes down to the chicken and egg predicament. maybe you agree with it because you are depressed. or maybe you're depressed because you agree with it. its impossible to tell and viewpoints arent static either, they shift over time..etc

I was diagnosed with major depression long before I read it but I kinda agree with you. It probably resonates with me because I am this way. Still, I feel it holds many uncomfortable truths.

If I was a functioning human being I wouldn't even consider reading this I guess. I once tried to discuss antinatalism with a normie acquaintance and he got borderline aggressive towards me when we talked about it.
>>
>>24886553
enjoy your existential crisis
>>
>>24886351
>Bram stoker award nominee
will it turn me into a vampire
>>
>>24887512
He is primarily a writer of horror fiction and the book touches the subject of lovecraft and cosmic horror here and there, that's why it got nominated I guess.
>>
>>24886351
You do understand it's meant as a kind of experimental, conceptual horror novel, and not an actual philosophy, right? Saying this novel will tall you 'whats going on with you' makes about as much sense as saying the same thing about Fault in Our Stars, or whatever. It's meant to be an interesting and funny and memorable entertainment. And nothing more than that.
>>
>>24887988

I have it in my room unread. Is it just "life is meanningless" for 150 pages? What if I'm kind of happy with existence despite agreeing with that, and also being alone?
>>
>>24888019
No, not really. If you could compare it to anything, it's a much less brilliant Pale Fire, maybe. There is a sort of comical academic text as the main body of the story, with the secondary implied story being the character that put it together, revealed slowly though their loopy, meandering arguments.
>>
>>24888019
Not life is meaningless. Life is an artist and pain is his chisel

If your life isn't bad right now, you are extremely lucky and rare.
>>
>>24887988
>>24887988
>You do understand it's meant as a kind of experimental, conceptual horror novel

yeah, no. You might as well call Shopenhauer and Zapffe novelists then. This is actually a thing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.