[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming/software engineering is a meme career for people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: Programming.jpg (92 KB, 850x478) Image search: [Google]
Programming.jpg
92 KB, 850x478
Programming/software engineering is a meme career for people who dont have the intelligence or balls to go into finance. No wonder so many chinks do it. They have no soul and no balls. Mindless robots.
>>
7 years as a programmer and i can confirm it's shit

i have no idea what to do with my life now though
>>
>finance
enjoy your 100hr workweeks, dumbass.
>>
At least programming is fun.

Enjoy crunching numbers for an asshole boss from 9-5, kuk.
>>
>>24877591
I work 50 hours and have a 70k$ starting salary straight out of college. And I'm still technically a trainee!

Enjoy working in programming because you're a chink unable to think outside the box.
>>
75% of US stock trading volume is now automated.
Have fun watching as we make your job obsolete.
>>
Software developement isn't just the immediate 'now', it's also the distant future.

No need to be bitter that you weren't cut out for it. The world needs pencil-pushing "managers" too. There's a place for everyone in the world. Yours is just a little lower on the totem pole. Don't be sad. Learn from it and try to do better next time.

JK, there's no next time. You're fucked.
>>
>>24877581
How do into programming job with no bullshit degree??
>>
>>24877627
My job is safe. We traders have programming monkeys working on the sidelines to make sure we're up to date on the tech side of things, while we mtake the real risks and make the real money.

>>24877646
Top kek software engineering is a step down for me.
>>
>>24877678
The degree isn't bullshit if you actually study and learn.
>>
Do software engineers/programmers generally work a shitton of hours?
>>
>>24877678
find a place to get an internship with no degree
experience goes further than degrees in software development

>>24877689
you are literally being replaced by programs
groups lobby to have fiber optics buried so their trading program can have a few nanoseconds of advantage over other groups' programs

>>24877720
depends where you work
startups and some huge companies might push you to work lots of hours
many places are pushing back the opposite direction to strictly 40 hour work weeks
better to have 40 well-rested, productive hours of work than 60 manic, stressful, exhausted hours
>>
>>24877744
i work in the new age of trading firms. they only hire incredibly smart people with maths/physics backgrounds. we're definitely a step above programming chumps
>>
furrrnance errs therrr grerrrrtest

nuuu, surrrftwerrr errnnnginurrring errs therrr grerrrrtest

greerrrrr
>>
>>24877689

Such a step down that you felt the need to make this thread on a board that's notorious for housing unemployed slackers? I mean, sure, some people here are probably very talented in the field, but compared to /g/? Compared to a board that actually houses lots of software development professionals.

Stop kidding yourself. Whatever job you have is shit, just like everything else in your life, or you wouldn't be here bragging to unemployed, mid-20-something virgins.

Your job sucks and your life isn't worth bragging about, especially not to the lowest of the low on 4chan. Get over yourself and go to bed. Loser.
>>
>>24877788
i made this thread here because i got banned on /biz/

>Stop kidding yourself. Whatever job you have is shit

I have a 70k starting salary working 50 hours a week
>>
>>24877805
> working 50 hours a week
Kek enjoy slaving away 10 more hours a week
>b-b-b-ut muh $70k!
not jelly. I could probably live way more than comfortably by myself on $40K. Stay wagekek.
>>
>>24877805
>I have a 70k starting salary
you say that like it's impressive
>>
>>24877805
computer science graduates at my college averaged $86,111 starting salaries last year
software engineering graduates averaged $76,273
the highest offers for each were $105,000
the lowest were $64,000 and $55,000, respectively
>>
>>24877829
50 hours isn't a lot you dumbass, if you think 50 hours is a problem you're just a slob

>>24877830
>>24877835
I'm a trainee. My salary doubles after a year, and bonuses come in to play.

Still, 70k puts me easily in the top 2% of my age group
>>
>>24877858
>what is the normal 40 hour work week
You're still working more when you could be enjoying yourself. but go ahead and make yourself feel better about it, Idrgaf
>>
>>24877696
Which I can do myself instead of paying shit load of money to some cunt to do the same exact thing
>>
>>24877885
>what is the normal 40 hour work week

Something for chumps who don't want to get ahead and who hate their job. Like, say, software engineers.
>>
>>24877805

No, you didn't. It's damn near impossible to get banned from /biz/ unless you go in there asking for advice on how to launder money or stash CP.

You came here to brag about having a mediocre job to a bunch of unemployed, underlaid adults, because that's how pathetic your life really is.

Bullshit is bullshit, and you're full of it. Go to bed, kid. You've got finals to study for in the morning.
>>
>>24877975
My bad, I wasn't banned, my thread was deleted.

Don't believe me? Here you go, pal.

https://warosu.org/biz/thread/991481
>>
>>24877858
>I'm a trainee. My salary doubles after a year, and bonuses come in to play.

And when that happens 2.5 years from now, they'll expect you to start coming in on weekends.
>>
>>24878004
Right because as a trader I have so much work to do when the markets are closed
>>
>>24877678
Get a nano degree. You can get one in like 2-3 months if you're not retarded and it'l cost you like 400$.
>>
>>24877899
I figured out how to automate 90% of my job, I literally get payed to watch anime and shitpost on 4chan. My job kick ass.
>>
>>24877899
>implying day traders enjoy their jobs
>>
>>24878059
Low testosterone detected
>>
>>24878090
Traders who make money enjoy their job
>>
>>24878027
Are you serious nigger? Now it's more clear than ever that you're not actually a trader or even involved in the financial sector lol
>>
>>24877858
I made 90k a year when I was 18 on an oil rig.

Hell, some welders were pulling in almost 300k a year pre-tax when times were good. The consultant I worked under made around 350k, my direct "boss," the toolpush who took care of the day to day paperwork and whatnot did about 200k. And that's with minimal or no education, the tool push didn't even have highschool.

Tell me again why 70k is impressive?
>>
>>24878096
What was the giveaway? The fact that this is r9k?
>>
>>24878120
Why would a trader routinely work on weekends? You're probably confused between "Trader" and "Investment Banker"
>>
>>24878096
Jelly detected
>>
>>24878137
>Tell me again why 70k is impressive?

Because it's in the top 1% for my age
>>
>>24878145
>This level of understanding

Nigger you're making a fool of yourself lol
>>
>>24878165
Whatever you say dipshit
>>
>>24878145
>I regularly worked from 7am to 8pm back when I was a trader. Depending on market conditions, there were extended periods of time when I worked from 6:30am to 9:30pm. I typically worked on Sunday afternoon/nights as well to prepare for Monday stuff. I regularly work on national holidays, even though the markets are closed and no one else is in the office. So clearly my hours aren't dictated by market hours. Generally, I observed that traders who trade more exotic and structured assets work longer hours, and people who trade more vanilla products work fewer hours.

https://www.quora.com/Do-Wall-Street-traders-work-long-hours
>>
>>24878231
Sucks to be him. Glad I'm not working in a BB.
>>
>>24877689
Unless you own part of the firm you work for, you're going to be ask fucked as a truck driver when Watson can do your job better and faster then you can.
>>
First Officer, copilot - 300k a yr after taxes with benefits. 29 years old. I recommend the field to more of you younger keks.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.