[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the difference between scotch and whiskey? why is scotch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: 1443732277857.jpg (201 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1443732277857.jpg
201 KB, 600x600
what is the difference between scotch and whiskey? why is scotch like half the price for the same amount?

pic semi related
>>
Scotch is a type of whiskey. There are several different types based on how many times it's been distilled.
>>
>>24868696
>why is scotch like half the price for the same amount?

?????????????????????

u must be looking at hobo scotch or something
>>
They both cost around the same price what are you talking about
>>
Good scotch costs much more than whiskey. Not even close.
>>
>>24868696
scotch is nectar from the gods
whisky is something you drink to get drunk
>>
>>24868696
Scotch is a type of whiskey, it is usually fairly expensive so I don't really know, do you live in Scotland?
>>
>>24868841
yeah, in Europe is Scotch cheaper than Bourbon?
>>
>>24868696
Scotch is just whiskey made in Scotland. Bourbon is whisky made in the American south (usually Kentucky or Tennessee). Otherwise they're all just called whiskey, or whisky if it's Irish.
>>
>>24868878
Sorry anons, this is what i meant

I live in america and went into the store tonight looking for bourbon but found a bottle of scotch for half the price, just wondered what the deal was
>>
>>24868696
if they taste equal and make you equal drunk and maybe even the production cost are the same, onenof them is probably for hipster idiots, to get their money
>>
>>24868886
>(usually Kentucky or Tennessee)
ONLY in Bourbon County, KY
>>
>>24868696
Scotch is what europlebs drink. Bourbon is what American men drink.
>>
>>24868938
American
Scotch all day. Bourbon is hillbilly swill.
>>
>>24868911
what kind of scotch, what kind of bourbon?
>>
>>24868911
Either you saw some really good bourbon or some really shit scotch. Usually scotch is expensive, especially in the US.
>>
Then who was Blended?
>>
>>24868983
just comparing jim beam to lauders

im not a richfag by any means so if i can get my whiskey fix on the cheap im looking into it

>>24868938
>scotch is for europoor

makes sense
>>
Different mash, Scottish in origin.

True rye is the best, anyhow. AP is about $20-25 and is still better than other whiskeys in higher brackets.
>>24868808
American spotted.
>>
File: bourbon[1].jpg (269 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
bourbon[1].jpg
269 KB, 1800x1200
>>24868696
There are several types of whisk(e)y, of which scotch is one:

>Scotch
>Bourbon
>rye
>Canadian
>Irish

Different flavor profiles, different properties.

Scotch is generally divided into to categories: Islay and Miscellaneous. Islay whiskys are heavily peated so they taste very smokey and grassy, sometimes like iodine; whereas other Scotches are a bit more bland, often tasting like sweet apples, butterscotch, toffee.

Scotch is expensive because most of it is aged ten years or longer. I like both Scotch and bourbon personally, and bourbon is even sweeter. Leave a few drops in a glass to evaporate overnight, and the next morning your glass of bourbon will smell like straight honey.

source: experienced alcoholic
>>
>>24869144
>into to
into two
>>
>>24869144
>Leave a few drops in a glass to evaporate overnight, and the next morning your glass of bourbon will smell like straight honey.
Sometimes I pass out before I could drink my last big glass and wake up feeling bad I let it go to waste so I try downing it first thing in the morning and that stuff tastes nothing like honey, more like rancid foot cheese.
>>
scotch is Scottish and high quality, whiskey is american and garbage
>>
>everyone says bourbon and scotch and whiskey is the nectar of the gods
>try it out
>tastes like rancid shit, even worse than beer
>vomit it all up

Rum, tequila, vodka, gin, vermouth, pretty much anything else tastes great but bourbon and scotch and whiskey are all AIDS. Why is this?
>>
I can't drink hard liquor without some fucking soda or something sweet to wash it down. How the fuck can you winos drink that stuff on the rocks? Its like.. not fun to drink. Fun to be drunk, but not fun to drink. Even Lemmy drinks jack and cokes.
>>
How do I get into alcohol? I'm 23 and I've never really had any, apart from some sips of 190 proof moonshine and the occasional wine. There's so many brands, I don't know where to start.
>>
>>24869337
You learn to appreciate the sweet aftertastes, even the way your saliva tastes for several minutes. OJ, redbull, coke or whatever you mix with always ruins that.
>>
>>24869317
it's an acquired taste

my first drink was spiced rum and i puked that shit up everywhere, kept drinking beer but got tired of the hangovers, started halving bourbon with water and then it was all downhill from there...
>>
>>24869337
It sounds cliche but it really is an acquired taste. Drink it some more, just a bit here and there, and you'll start to get a feel for it.

Make sure you aren't buying shit brands, too. There is some whiskey I just can't fucking stand (Jack and Canadian Club, most notably) and no matter how often I drink it it tastes like mouthwash and ripe piss, but find a brand you personally find tolerable and you'll notice it start to grow on you.
>>
>>24869337
baby no like veggies. baby want cookie.
>>
File: 20151210_121302.jpg (946 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20151210_121302.jpg
946 KB, 2560x1536
I bet you bawbags dont even drink buckies
>>
>>24868938
>>24868958

American here.

Bourbon is overrated. Scotch is overrated as well.

Irish whiskey is where it's at.
>>
>>24869415

Why the fuck would you want to "get into alcohol"?

It just leads you down shit creek without a paddle
>>
>>24869557
>comparing vegetables to alcohol
Don't drink and post. Be safe.
>>
File: 1448851304798.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1448851304798.gif
2 MB, 750x750
>>24869635
I've been drowning in shit creek since 2005, m8.
>>
>>24869654
reddit --------->
>>
>>24869635
this tbqh, if you have an addictive personality, never start drinking
>>
>>24869557
>hello guys I am a manly man I pretend to enjoy the watered down fermented rotten plant juice which my body is actively trying to get me to not drink by making it taste absolutely horribly since it could literally kill me if I drink too much of it, I totally enjoy it too, I also enjoy the taste of similar products such as red spirit and paint thinner, if you don't like it you just need to force yourself to drink it every day until your taste buds are so desensitized to it that you might actually be able to tolerate it, if you don't you are a baby who doesn't want to eat his vegetables because that is totally comparable
>>
>>24869415
Figure out what you want to buy first (vodka, gin, whiskey, brandy, rum, etc...) and get some average-price bottle and go nuts, there's no rules or anything. The first bottle of alcohol I ever bought was Captain Morgan spiced rum, so I guess you could start there if you want.
>>
>>24869635
Where do you think we are?
Might just aswell make the most of it you'll be on this ride for[/spoiler]ever[/spoiler]
>>
>>24869635

No it does not. Drinking recreationally every few days/weeks can help you unwind and release stress. It can even act as a somewhat healthy sleeping pill.
>>
>>24869672
Alcohol is fine if you aren't a mental 6 year old who can't limit themself, drinking for a nice buzz is great but drinking to get blackout drunk is freshman college normie toer
>>
>>24868911

Like most spirits, there's good and bad examples of both. One isn't necessarily better than the other, it just depends on the origin and what you like. There are single malt aged reserve scotches that cost thousands a bottle, and cheap ones that strip paint, same for whiskeys.
>>
good whiskey is really good

the problem is for rye, good is 25 bucks, for bourbon good is 35, and for scotch good is 55
>>
>>24868696
I work at a liquor store scotch is basically the same price as regular whiskey. Brandy is super cheap tho
>>
>>24868696
I hope that was an expensive one
>>
>>24869870
>Tfw you drink on every night you have off work(usually 3-4 days a week
>End up drinking like 3/4 a bottle of rum a night

This his clearly gotten out of hand
>>
>>24870321
>not drinking on work nights

top normie
>>
>>24870332
i have to get up at 3 am and usually don't end up going to sleep till 11-12. I'd still be drunk when I woke up

I did that once and drank for like 9 hours straight and couldn't even walk straight when I was going into work and ended up puking in the parking lot, never again.
>>
in my experience there's sipping whiskey and "cost effective" whiskey

as long as you don't mix the two up there's not really a problem
>>
>>24869337
Whiskeys are very sweet, though.

Try cognac and other brandys, maybe?
>>
>>24868696
Scotch is generally made from barley or malted barley. Most American whiskeys are going to be made with corn, oats, barley, or some mix of two or all three, though any grain can be turned into a whiskey.
>>
>>24870379
Going to work drunk is top tier. The smell is a big problem, though.
>>
i started saving the corks from my expensive scotches and i kind of wish i didn't because this is several thousand ... in scotch... that i drank alone on the internet
>>
>>24868911
Here are some factors to consider.
1) Transportation costs will be higher for American liquor.
2) Tariffs are probably higher on imported American liquor than for liquor exported from one European country to another.
3) Because of factors one and two, companies will choose to export more premium products only. No point in paying trans-Atlantic shipping on bottom shelf shit.

Some other remarks:
The thing that makes Bourbon special is that it is aged in charred (burned out) wood casks. It gets a great warm flavor from this treatment, though some people might find it harsher than single malt scotch, in a way.

Another original American style whiskey is Tennessee Sour Mash (Jack Daniel's). This is NOT Bourbon. I believe it differs from other whiskey's in that the biochemistry of the fermentation stage is different.

Single malt scotch is usually at least perceived as being more expensive by Americans.

As far as I know, all whiskey is distilled only once from the mash, then put into casks. Whiskey is not about purity like vodka usually is.

If you ever get the chance, Buffalo Trace is a God-tier Bourbon that's very affordable. Like <30USD per 750ml. I talked to a distributor who said it will be going up in price a lot within the next few years. Strongly recommend.
>>
Buffalo Trace is amazing for the value. Bulleit Rye (not the bourbon) is similar in that it tastes really good for the price
>>
>>24870712
jack isn't bourbon? interesting
>>
File: bison.jpg (318 KB, 1800x1159) Image search: [Google]
bison.jpg
318 KB, 1800x1159
>>24870789
Not the biggest fan of rye, but yeah, Bulleit makes a good product for a great price. I've heard there's a lot of marketing and marking up of prices in the American whiskey industry, bourbon especially, so I make it my project to find the affordable whiskey's that are a cut above.

When that cold weather sets in, there's nothing comfier than knowing you have a good stock of whiskey to see you through.
>>
Whiskey is a type of distilled alcohol fermented from grain mash and typically aged in charred wood barrel. It is the western European version of vodka. Both words are derived from water.

Several types exist and have strict definitions. The reason scotch can be cheaper than bourbon is that bourbon requires virgin barrels while scotch can be made with used barrels, most of which come from bourbon production.

You can find expensive scotch or cheap scotch. It depends on what you want.

The vanilla taste in aged whiskey is from the vanillin in wood, which is also the flavor source for most things with imitation vanilla.
>>
>>24870321

That's is the wrong liquor to be drinking. It's really harsh on the liver and body. You need to look into vodka and if you can't bear vodka or want to drink something straight then at least whiskey.

Sauce: http://ymcannanagar.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Know_Your_Liquor.pdf
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.