[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
do you ever actually get over anxiety/depression? or do you just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13
File: 1433952454116.jpg (53 KB, 850x570) Image search: [Google]
1433952454116.jpg
53 KB, 850x570
do you ever actually get over anxiety/depression?
or do you just "deal with it nerd", for the rest of ur life
>>
bumping

with le originalie comment
>>
I've found it slowly decreases as you grow older, or, at least it did for me. I do not think it can go away completely though, as it is simply how your physical brain is.
>>
File: 4644.jpg (70 KB, 248x252) Image search: [Google]
4644.jpg
70 KB, 248x252
both are meme diagnoses

fucking get over it kek
>>
>>24868713
wow thanks i think im cured!
>>
>>24868068
Get some Lexapro, shit works like magic.
>>
>>24868713
I know, right? Just like cancer is just a meme illness.
>>
File: 1413221259729.jpg (137 KB, 1920x1281) Image search: [Google]
1413221259729.jpg
137 KB, 1920x1281
>>24868068
>>24868701
Its a life long disease, i found it gets worse and gets better. And drifts between this endlessly. I was far less depressed when i was 18-20. Ive been in a bout of pretty deep depression for 4 going on five years.

Then ill probably be less depressed, something will change, or happen, and ill be less depressed for a few years. Then the cycle continues.
>>
idk I started exercising and shit and I guess I just started being happy more often
>>
File: 1394236413382.jpg (87 KB, 494x622) Image search: [Google]
1394236413382.jpg
87 KB, 494x622
>>24870041
The more i hear "work out bro" The more i think its a meme, i cycle ever day 10 miles to work. And go to the gym on top of it.

Honestly im still depressed, i just sleep less. Working out does help you mood short term though ive noticed.
>>
>>24870086
maybe it's just different for some people, I don't know. I'm just saying what worked for /me/ personally. I felt a lot better about myself after working out more often and my mind just felt less foggy all of the time.
>>
>>24868068
I haven't, so I'm not entirely sure. I hope some day I do get over it, but it's very hard to imagine.
>>
File: 1443196197754.jpg (54 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1443196197754.jpg
54 KB, 960x960
>>24870131
>maybe it's just different for some people

Yeah for sure. And it does have its benefits, but like anything its not a cure-all. And i guess i just get tired of seeing "yeah bro lift all your problems will be solved" Strait up bro science right there.

>>24870166
If you have clinical depression, im sorry you wont, you ether have to deal with it or take meds, both options are pretty shit.

Honestly i would only get on meds as a last resort. Trust me, ive been on paxil for 12 years and cant really get off now. I fear it fucked me up permanently.
>>
>>24870086
>>24870131
Works for me too. All I have to do is take a ~30 minutes jog across some part of town I fancy a day and even that helps me not want to kill myself. Walking my dogs too, and anything that's needed in the house. I actually think I may have ADD or something because things either don't interest me on the least or they get my undivided attention for hours at a time. I'm trying to learn how to sing and that has also helped, when I stop being so much of an autist I may actually take classes.

If I'm being completely honest I think it's because my oneitis from a few years ago was a very good singer.
>>
>>24870263
> ive been on paxil for 12 years and cant really get off now. I fear it fucked me up permanently.
shieet. iv been dealing with anxiety my whole life, i was doing alright until 20s but i think thats cause i had this delusion that i could become a confident chad if i just worked hard enough, now im 25 i realize that isn't going to happen. anyway, had depression now for a year and a half as well.. i booked to see my doctor in a few days and was going to ask to go on meds. i feel like i've tried a whole bunch of stuff the last couple years to feel better and i just cant be fucked anymore cause its not working

you sayin meds are a bad idea senpai?
>>
>>24870691
Try them anyways, what you're describing is a situation on which you literally need a last resort. You can talk about the potential side-effects of medication with your doctor and decide for yourself.
>>
>>24868068
its honestly just a matter of perspective

read Nietzsche and you'll be cured in no time
>>
>>24868068
Anxiety seems to diminish as you gain actual life experience and persist in situations that make you highly uncomfortable and if you directly experience some of the things you fear, like humiliation, failure and rejection. At least that's been my experience, and I'm not sure if I legitimately had an anxiety disorder. I did have some issue that went so far beyond the bounds of mere jitters and was pretty controlling but to some extent I'm over it.

Depression, at least in my case, seems like it'll always be around. You just learn to cope, one way or another, or you don't.
>>
File: 1390585531735.jpg (57 KB, 646x585) Image search: [Google]
1390585531735.jpg
57 KB, 646x585
>>24870691
>>24870796

Its different for everyone, But alot a psychs push meds on you, because that's what they get paid to do. Pharmaceutical companies reward doctors that prescribe a certain amount of there med.

Plus the side effect profile and withdrawl of some of these meds are awful.

Lots of docs wont tell you about the negatives
of your meds.

Check this out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paroxetine#Society_and_culture

Big pharma loves that depression dosh.
>>
>>24870086
its not a meme

if i do what my mind wants to do and sit inside all day and shitpost on 4chan, by the 8th hour I feel fucking terrible and want to kill myself

then I go and workout and I don't want to die
>>
File: 1448316460737.jpg (28 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1448316460737.jpg
28 KB, 720x720
>>24868068
you learn to deal with it or you die trying

Just about everyone deals with anxiety and depression, suffering is a part of existence, some people learn to cope, others don't.

Don't fall for the psychiatry meme either, you can't extinguish suffering via psychiatric medications, anti-depressants are a joke, anxiolytics like benzos can work in the short term, but will most likely make you worse in the end.
There is no cure, as there is no disease, this is the nature of reality.
>>
>>24869702

It didn't do shit for me, neither does abilify or Zoloft
>>
File: 1390947752452.jpg (43 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1390947752452.jpg
43 KB, 500x377
>>24870861

I know it has benifits and i can feel them, but i still wish for death every damn day.

And dont tell me "ur not trying hard enuf" I ride my ass up crazy california hills and still go to the gym everyday.

I dont just sit on 4chan ether, i go to car meets and try to enjoy my hobbies.

I feel these pills might even be making it worse, but i ask my psyhc for off, and she want to up the dosage. Ive been on paxil for 12 years and i dont think and up dose will work. Ive even told her that.
>>
You don't get over it when it's been with you forever. Not with therapy and Zoloft anyway.
>>
>>24870828
im too pleb to trudge through his shit. is there a "nietzsche for babbies" book out there?

i was going through some philosophy videos by a university on vimeo. it was pretty good..
>>
>>24870864
>Just about everyone deals with anxiety and depression
I hate this fucking meme. "Most people" don't have depression and social anxiety, and to think otherwise is retarded.
>>
>>24871376
was about to call this out too. if taht entire post isn't trolling, the poster is fucking retarded. this shit is so damn toxic because depression and shit is already really hard to acknowledge and get help for, but normies saying "ur just sad go outside lol" make it so much worse...
>>
File: 1391683565213.gif (2 MB, 416x320) Image search: [Google]
1391683565213.gif
2 MB, 416x320
>>24871376
Most people get down for a while and think thats depression.

Depression isnt a feeling, its the lack of feeling.
>>
>not getting addicted to benzos so you can lose your crippling failure to comfortably leave the house

>C'MON STEP IT UP
>>
File: 930698.jpg (6 KB, 252x260) Image search: [Google]
930698.jpg
6 KB, 252x260
>>24871441
Benzo withdrawl can kill you anon.

I love the feeling of some K-pins as much as the next guy, but i tend to only use them for panic and once in a while for relaxation.
>>
File: 1446429448603.jpg (99 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1446429448603.jpg
99 KB, 543x405
>>24871376
not all forms of anxiety are social anxiety

I've been diagnosed with 'major depression', 'dysthymia', 'general anxiety', 'social anxiety','bipolar depression',a laundry list of personality disorders and some other shit that I don't remember
It's entirely meaningless, it's a self perpetuating cycle that will destroy you if you don't accept it, there is no 'chemical imbalance' in the brain, the monoamine hypothesis is nonsense, you don't have some sort of biological disposition that causes an overactive serotonin transporter, nor is such a thing highly implicated in depression. There is however evidence that a shrinking hippocampus is associated with depression, but it has also been shown that dwelling in a depressed and anxious state is what causes your hippocampus to shrink, and that's the physical manifestation of this psychological cycle

everyone does experience a form of 'depression' or 'anxiety', whether it fits your self loathing narrative or not, the difference is other people learn to cope, or have other people willing to help them cope

I'm no better than you, I let it tear me down, i've tried the entire gamut of medications to absolutely no positive effect. There is no easy way out, there is no cure, you're just as human as anyone else and they are just as human as you
>>
>>24871759
> the difference is other people learn to cope, or have other people willing to help them cope
the difference is other people don't have anxiety or depressive disorders. just like some people get cancer and some don't. what you're saying is harmful because it makes people think its their own fault when it isn't, or that people are on an even playing field which they aren't
>>
Anxiety/Depression are just made up terms used to blame every day problems. Of course life is going to suck, you're not depressed, you just have to deal with the shitiness of life
>>
>>24872089
poor b8 tho
>>
File: 1449709340926.jpg (111 KB, 802x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449709340926.jpg
111 KB, 802x1000
>>24871894
as someone with "anxiety and depressive disorders"
I can tell you that believing It was due to some form of imbalance in neurochemistry and constantly attributing my self destructive behavior to a biological disorder has done much more damage than the realization that It was caused by my own actions.
I spent 7 years never forming any sort of relationships and avoiding all forms of contact with other people, this caused my psychological distress, not some intrinsic depressive state

You are the only one in charge of your fate, if you don't realize this and continue playing the role of the victim you will always be the victim.
>>
>>24871472
I've been using 1mg of klonopin everyday for the past 2 months
my script is running out, how bad is the withdrawal going to be exactly?
>>
>>24872089
Just because anxiety and depression are commonplace doesn't mean they don't exist.
Are you fucking retarded?
Have you simply ignored the past 60 or so years of mental health research?
Or are you really just THAT fucking stupid to unironically believe that depression "doesn't exist"?
Fuck you cunt, I didn't brand myself, coddle loaded guns in the early morning, and break down and cry on a weekly basis because of a fucking whim.
>>
>>24868068
depends on severity, and the exact nature and causes of your anxiety and depression.
If you're genetically doomed to mental illness all you can do is cope. If you fell into a rough patch, you can of course recover, and are less likely to relapse into a state of depression.
>>
>>24872389

>I can tell you that believing It was due to some form of imbalance in neurochemistry and constantly attributing my self destructive behavior to a biological disorder has done much more damage than the realization that It was caused by my own actions.

Your actions are 100% caused by your brain. There's no "ghost in the machine".

But your problems very well may be caused by issues with your brain STRUCTURE, not neurochemistry.

We're robots, dude. Our movements, our choices, our words, all come from our brains.
>>
>>24872389
There is validity in the notion that some forms of depression are caused by brain deformities and chemical imbalances and disregarding this and telling others to disregard this as well is disingenuous.
Removing your own actions from the equation is harmful yes but there is no harm in pinpointing what is causing your depression and moving in to combat it.
Your depression might not have stemmed from this but that doesn't mean others are the same as you, so don't treat them as such.
My mother-in-law is bipolar-depressive. You can definitely tell when she is on her medication and is not. She needs it to perform her daily life without falling into a pit of unliveable madness.

But yes, environment plays a huge role in mental health.
>>
File: 1364419623824.png (354 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1364419623824.png
354 KB, 500x500
>>24872965
Yes there are some biological factors in depression
but the monoamine hypothesis is most likely not correct, doctors are leaning towards physiology of certain areas of the brain instead.
yes I agree, some forms, but not a majority of depression can be caused by inescapable biological cues

>>24872764
yes, and by allowing myself to dwell in my own self loathing for years, I threw my brains neurogenesis patterns out of wack. The initial trauma that caused me to fall into that depressive state got exponentially worse as I felt more and more hopeless. Of course all actions are mediated by the brain, but our choices can have an influence on the structure and chemistry of our brains, which overtime can have a compounding effect, if I had known what I know now then I might have been more able to break the cycle

Depression is no ones fault, not even your own, dwelling on pain is a natural response to trauma, that happens to lead to even worse feelings. This cycle however can be broken, with enough effort, and apparently with enough ketamine
>>
>>24870975
What about counselling or therapy? And maybe get a journal to record your thoughts day to day, don't try to censor or proofread just write. I found it helped me but I haven't been writing in it lately and my anxiety has come back, it didn't go away completely but at least I could focus more. Also how's your diet, and what are your hobbies?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.