[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to the doctor >get diagnosed with a mental illness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 9jGJJ46[1].jpg (23 KB, 515x430) Image search: [Google]
9jGJJ46[1].jpg
23 KB, 515x430
>go to the doctor
>get diagnosed with a mental illness called "OCD"
>doctor suggests experimental treatment
>every time I have an obsessive thought, I write it down on a post-it note and stick it to my face or body
>do it for a few days
>post-it notes start falling off
>doctor suggests stapling them to my body with an actual fucking stapler
>hurts like fucking hell, I hate mutilating my body like this

>start getting loads of weird looks, people start openly laughing at me
>of course they will, I look comical
>refuse to admit that to myself though
>obsessive thoughts keep happening, begin to get worse
>doctor and I agree to start tattooing my obsessive thoughts to my face or body instead of using post-it notes

(cont.)
>>
>months later, I look completely different
>people think I look really strange, now it starts affecting my career options and I lose some friends
>my mental illness doesn't go away, in fact it keeps getting worse and worse
>begin to believe that it's not just a mental illness
>OCD is who I really am
>at the same time, doctor can't figure out why I'm struggling so much with all this

>we agree that "obsessive" isn't a very pleasant term, we agree to start calling them "different thoughts"
>get angry at my mom when she says to her friend that I have OCD, instead of calling me a "differently minded individual"
>family starts getting really bitter with the way I'm behaving
>start chatting with a cute girl that I met in college, she's clearly put off by all my tattoos
>explain to her that I'm a Differently Minded Individual, and I'm visibly insulted that she doesn't know what that is
>Explain it to her
>>"Oh right, you mean OCD? Yeah, my brother has that. It's a really tough mental illness to deal with"
>Mental illness?
>MENTAL ILLNESS?
>WHO THE FUCK DOES SHE THINK SHE IS CALLING ME MENTALLY ILL THIS IS WHO I AM, I AM A PROUD DIFFERENTLY MINDED INDIVIDUAL WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I LOOK WEIRD- NO I MEAN I LOOK UNIQUE BECAUSE THIS IS WHO I AM ON THE INSIDE ITS NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS

And that's why transgender people have a higher suicide rate than the rest of us
>>
File: 300px-Winterfox_Logo_Update.png (58 KB, 300x311) Image search: [Google]
300px-Winterfox_Logo_Update.png
58 KB, 300x311
I feel this story. That's really what it's like - no matter how comical, mental or retarded it looks to you, that is that person's reality just as yours is your own. The problem comes in when society tries to force the mentally ill to conform (BEE NORMAL LOL) or shame them into submission. Society itself has provided us with all this luxury but there are giant cracks starting to appear in what I have coined the "great wall of society". Some people can't see it but this society has and is continuing to create some monsters. Just as I can't see the forest for the trees, some can't see the trees for the forest.
>>
>>24856841
I have ocd BAD

One of my quirks if pretending to be my ex girlfriend online and sending nudes to strangers while jacking off

My other quirk is if I do drugs a voice in my head keeps telling me to do all of my shit and won't stop

Just ignore ocd its all you can do I smoke weed for mine
>>
>>24856930
Oh nvm just realized your a trolling fsg fuck off
>>
>>24856950
What you literally thought he stapled post it notes to himself...?
>>
Good post, op.
Well reasoned.
>>
>>24856901
>>24856930
The fuck is this? I was expecting to come back to this post with you guys calling me a shitposting cunt. The fuck is wrong with you /r9k/?
>>
>ITT fags not understanding the allegory of transsexualism
>>
Occupational Contract Dermatitis sucks anon
>>
>>24856841
Yeah I don't necessarily have a problem with transgender people, at all, but I wouldn't hesitate to call it a mental illness different from something like homosexuality.

Genital self-mutilation is considered extremely final boss-tier fucked up psyche (literally classified 'psychotic decompensation'), but as soon as you put the word 'transgender' in front of it, it's no longer obviously really fucked up, it's now a socially acceptable form of self-expression. That's just never added up with me. idkidk
>>
>>24856983
>>24856950
I read halfway through the post and decided to comment
>>
>>24857187
How far did you fucking read? Maybe the first 3 lines are believable. You trannies really do have brain problems.
>>
>someone was so mad they thought this false equivalency up and took the time to poorly write a story about it to prove a point
>>
>>24857527
Post it notes start falling off is the last thing I read
>>
Did you get BTFO too hard in your two other threads or something?
>>
>>24857545
Ok tranny. You're still not really a woman. Also I don't have anything to be mad about. People actually see me as human.

>>24857577
This is my first thread, I've never actually posted about trannies before. There isn't a single refutation ITT so clearly I've hit a nerve
>>
>>24857760
lol okay then dude
>>
>>24857545

Now, I've got nothing against trans people. I like them a lot, generally. But let's not kid ourselves. Transgenderism stems from a combination of gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia, and it is currently one of the only (if not THE only) psychological state which is commonly treated with cosmetic surgery (such as facial feminization surgery). I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with someone going through with SRS or taking hormones; it's their body, and they can do whatever they want with it. But there simply has to be a better way of dealing with it. Transgenderism may not be a mental illness strictly speaking, but it is a psychological state, and it's one that would greatly benefit from a more pragmatic solution coming from the field of cognitive science.
>>
>>24857817
Damn you've completely changed my view in that one post!
>>
>>24857825
dysmorphia isn't really what's going on

dysmorphia is when someone believes something untrue about their bodies, an example being an anorexic who believes themselves fat, despite all evidence to the contrary

transgender people, on the other hand, are not deluded about the state of their body, they are all too aware that their body is biologically male/female, and their problem with it is that it shouldn't be.

as for your issues with the current treatments, it's not like they aren't understandable, but as things stand, it is the by far the most effective solution we have, with a satisfaction rate of over 96% (extremely good for a mental condition, and vastly more effective than alternative treatments and therapy)
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.