[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good career for true robots? I'm going to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: 080304.indy.truckers.jpg (34 KB, 512x332) Image search: [Google]
080304.indy.truckers.jpg
34 KB, 512x332
What's a good career for true robots? I'm going to be a long haul trucker

>spend all day alone with minimal to no human contact
>get payed to listen to podcasts and audio books
>piss in bottles
>eat hot dogs and doritos from the truck stop
>drive all night, sleep all day
>can smell like shit, not shave, and wear a nightgown all the time
>get paid to sleep
>after a long haul go home for two weeks off work
>>
>>24847440

freelancing m8
>>
Pretty legit profession, to be honest. It is harder than most make it out to be, though. You so much as SCRAPE a guardrail and you're done, son.
>>
Every trucker I've talked to hates their job and only stays because of the pay
>>
It's not a terrible choice tbqh because the demand for drivers is higher than ever and no one wants to do it but, it's a lot more stressful than it sounds
>>
>>24847440
you poor dumb bastard, you have no idea what you're getting into
>>
>>24847498
Why would they hate it?
>>
>>24847440
Aerospace Engineer.

Everyone in it is an autist, Asian(who are all semi-autists anyway), a space geek, or any mix of the three.
>>
>>24847528
you're staring at the fucking road 18 hours a day and don't have any simple luxuries like showers / bathroom / kitchen and you're probably always stressed hoping you don't get into any kind of minor or major accidents or having mechanical problems
>>
>>24847606
That sounds perfect, I like driving more than almost anything. I'm driving all the way from Houston to San Diego next month just because I feel like driving to the west coast. I've considered driving to Canada.
>>
>>24847679
It's not the driving that's the issue. It's driving with a deadline made by assholes in an air-conditioned office that don't care about you. Then on top of that you've got to deal with all of the federal regulations that tell you when you can and can't drive. It's finding parking at the end of your 14 hour shift when everyone wants to be in the same place at the same time, but no one wants to build a truck stop anywhere near a city. It's all the weekends you'll spend getting a 34 hour reset at a rest area in Secaucus, New Jersey. It's having to take shits in some of the nastiest rest area bathrooms you can find.
>>
>>24847440
You almost never drive through the night as a trucker, only during the day. You also work long fucking hours, 12+ a day for weeks on end. No time for fun or vidya, all you do is drive and sleep
>>
>>24847828
Why wouldn't they drive through the night and sleep during high traffic hours? Night driving = safer and more efficient for trucks.
>>
If you're interested in trucking, give this a read.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a40157/long-haul-year-trucking-america/
>>
>>24847440
After I graduate, I plan on moving to Alaska to work at a fish hatchery that offers "free room and board".
>>
Enjoy getting replaced by automation in the next 15 years, perhaps less.
>>
>>24847851
Because of FMCSA regulations. From the second you start your day you have to be done in 14 hours. So if you start driving at 8pm, you have to be done with everything you're going to do the next day by 10AM. But most shippers and receivers work on a regular 9-5 schedule, so you need to be able to be awake during those hours.
>>
>>24847929

fuck this sounds awesome

what is your degree gonna be in?
>>
>>24848246
Just a shitty BA in zoology. I tried going for the BS that specialized in fisheries and aquaculture but it didn't work out because I suck at math.
>>
>>24847859
Good read. I'm the guy that wants to be a long haul trucker and I'm almost completely fine with most of what I read. Now I know why not many people want to do it, I really think it's my niche though.
>>
>>24847929
You /alaskanobservers/ senpai? Was looking into them after I graduate too. I'm getting a useless neuroscience degree.
>>
>>24848489
I was considering it to be an option. I would prefer to just work at a fish hatchery though.
>>
>>24847487
freelancing in what
>>
>>24847440
its going to be automated over the next 20 years....dead field.
>>
My grandfather was a trucker. This was after WW2 and in the 50s when there were almost no regulations. You could earn good money then but it was dangerous, especially the road he was covering (from south Italy to Serbia). He had some interesting road adventures.
>>
>>24847971
Two robots in a team.
>>
>>24848604
It's OK, I already have a four year degree. I'll just do something else.
>>
>>24848604
>its going to be automated over the next 20 years
Cool meme
>>
>>24848604
>next 20 years

Well better start working now
>>
data entry

>sit in front of computer all day, just like you already do, except you get paid
>fast and accurate typing speed from years of shitposting
>minimal human contact (depending on who you enter data for)
>decent pay because no one wants to do it
>>
File: 1436642519765.jpg (688 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
1436642519765.jpg
688 KB, 1520x2688
I looked into it a lot, but decided against it because I was afraid of automation replacing me in like 10 years. It really did seem like a good fit for me because of the solitude, and I really like driving, it's something I do a lot in my free time just for fun. You better like audio media, because you don't get a whole lot of time to enjoy other things like anime or vidya. You will be driving for around 12 hours a day for like 3 weeks straight before you get any time off. Just look up truckers on Youtube. Plenty of them put up videos regularly giving you a good idea of what the life is like.
>>
File: 1443639750028.jpg (142 KB, 725x713) Image search: [Google]
1443639750028.jpg
142 KB, 725x713
>>24848640
its not a memebro

its great business sense to automate trucking especially, and 20 years is long enough time frame to get that ball rolling.
>>
>>24848434
The author is a friend of mine. If that lifestyle sounds like it may be for you, give it a go. If it turns out to be shit for you, quit.
>>
>>24848681
Yeah, it is. X job is going to be automated in Y years is one of the oldest job memes around.
>>
>>24848710
Only, the pieces are coming together rather quickly at this point in history.

Better to be aware of the potentials rather than wind up looking like the movie & film industry circa 2003 -- totally unprepared & in denial about the circumstances of reality.
>>
>>24848774
and the music industry

People are totally going to be buy cds & space cds (once the cd is obsolete) over the next 100 years.
>>
>>24848774
Doesn't change that it's been a meme since automated production was first introduced.
>>
>>24848710
>already have road legal self driving cars
>jobs that require driving from A to B aren't going to be automated within 20 years
>>
>night time security guard
>night time truck unloading
>farmer/farm worker
>store stocking
>writer
>gardener
>computer repair
>>
>>24848809
whatev

there are a million definitions of what a 'meme' is and how to use it
>>
Any kind of engineer so you can be an autist and still look down on everybody at the same time
>>
>>24848695
He really has a good writing style. It does actually sound like a lifestyle I could appreciate.
>>
>>24847440
I never had the slightest problem with driving, even from day 1 I never stalled the car and had no problem starting from uphills. I would say im pretty good at driving BUT I fucking suck a million dicks at parking, it took me like 3 months to learn to parallel park properly. Do I have a future in trucking?
>>
>>24847859
>http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a40157/long-haul-year-trucking-america/

Thought about it for years. This makes me want to go out and do it.

Welp. Off to bed for a 6-2:30 shift.
>>
>>24847498

Most people hate their jobs and only do it for the money. Very few people get to do something they truly love.
>>
>>24847962
>implying he won't suicide before that because of stress
kek
>>
>>24847498
so its exactly like every other job?
>>
>>24847440
Work in North Dakota, some drivers there are getting paid near 100k
>>
File: 1335922808210.jpg (139 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1335922808210.jpg
139 KB, 600x450
I'm training to become a chef.
It's a little stressful, so maybe I'll just be a baker.
>>
>>24847440
That's great OP, sadly most robots don't have the balls to drive a big truck....or drive at all. Trucking is manly.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.