[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do robots deal with the fact they'll never be able to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: np101315_klaythompson_article.jpg (158 KB, 900x985) Image search: [Google]
np101315_klaythompson_article.jpg
158 KB, 900x985
How do robots deal with the fact they'll never be able to achieve their dreams, for those of us whose dreams are not within the realm of possibility? To me life seems almost pointless when I think about the fact I will never be a tall wealthy athlete, I invested the entirety of my youth in trying to obtain the American fantasy rather than the American dream but genetics, ability, and just good old fashioned luck or a lack thereof prevented me from achieving it.

Obviously the average person is going to be average, but do most people feel their life is pretty pointless when they think about how much greater the quality of life for others is?

For older bots does this feeling of inadequacy, depression and general misery get better as you get older and become more accepting that you won't be wealthy or famous for your talents? If so is there any reason not to just outright kill yourself?
>>
I usually just try to block out the feelings of inadequacy with drugs, alcohol, video games, etc.

Sometimes i'll be violently shoved back into reality by something. These periods of lucidness can have me searching for the gun. If I can settle myself, I'll just return to drunkenness of the mind.
>>
By not having any dreams in the first place.
>>
>>24804858
How old are you? Did you ever have a dream when you were younger that you know you won't be able to achieve as an adult? I'm thinking of just committing suicide, these thoughts are starting to take over my ability to function throughout the day.
>Why go to class?
>Why eat?
>Why shower?
>Why study?
>Why exercise?
etc.
>>
>>24804889
I wish I had not desired so badly to become a pro basketball player (who at any given time make up less than a single percentage of the US population) as a child. I've wasted so much money and time on camps, gear and practicing. I genuinely feel had I been taller I would likely be in the NBA, but as a result of just being average sized I was only ever offered a division II scholarship.
>>
File: Boat_Pepe.jpg (55 KB, 680x451) Image search: [Google]
Boat_Pepe.jpg
55 KB, 680x451
>>24804908

Wanted to be an artist at first, realized quickly I didn't have the talent for it.

Then, I wanted to be a mathematician, wasn't cut out for that either.

I feel stuck in a type of tiredness. What's the point? The successful people , I feel, are just there because of innate talent. Yes, maybe if I struggled I could become decent at whatever. What would be the point? I don't want to be a mediocre artist; I want to be a GREAT artist. How could I live being inferior? The feeling of worthlessness seeps into your damn thoughts. Why should I invest in anything?

I can't control my desire. My inability to be a mathematician is not different than my inability to fly. At the same time, I can't will away my desires. I want things, and I can't want to not want them.
>>
>>24805014
It seems really unfair, I just wonder how some people can put their pen to paper and make masterpieces with minimal effort and why I or yourself do not have talent. I could accept being nothing if I was able to work for something and change it, but I can't stand the thought of knowing this is all I will ever be because I am unlucky
>>
File: grayscaleimage.jpg (258 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
grayscaleimage.jpg
258 KB, 1440x900
>>24805099

It's simply genetics. Intellectual ability is highly heritable.

Honestly, I wouldn't suggest researching the relation between IQ and Academic success/SAT scores. So much of our lives is predetermined. I often feel I can no longer make sense of my life.

There's an interesting paper titled "Suicide as an escape from self". I can't pull it up anymore, but it attempts to show the relation between suicide and self awareness. People who are unable to reconcile their vision of themselves with their results usually end up despondent. They'll search for anything to remove themselves from their own thoughts. Sometimes this ends in suicide.
>>
at least i'll be known when i die
>>
You get over it when you know outside forces affected achieving them

My mother is probably more disappointed than I am at this point
>>
It's quite painful. What makes it worse is seeing so many of my friends and relatives achieve theirs.

I don't think I can bear it for much longer; every road before me leads to misery.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.