[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I fucking hate math. I have always hated math. I will always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 8
File: pepe.jpg (23 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
23 KB, 385x385
I fucking hate math. I have always hated math. I will always hate math from the bottom of my heart. Its 1 AM, I have a Statistics Exam tomorrow. I studied for a few hours, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I think I'll just give up and go to bed. Does anyone else know these feels?
>>
>>24803684
I used to. Then one Summer I did nothing but study math at my own pace. When I got to math class the next semester, I aced it. Seriously, having a little bit to study at your own pace makes things so much easier.
>>
math is one of the simplest things there is.

1+1=2 and will always equal 2

there is no opinion in math. it is hard and true and cannot be screwed up

english and philophsey is hard as there is differing opinions and can vastly change from person to person and there is not one simple answer

but math is simple. as one plus one will always equal two.

fucking autists pretend that its a skillful subject
>>
>>24803684
I know the feel. I'm dying in stats as well my friend.
>>
Math is a disgusting meme that ought to be wiped out. Last time I ever took a math course was junior year of high school and I never looked back.
I actually shaped my undergrad college search around not taking shit subjects like math or foreign language.
>>
I know your feels, op. I never liked math in grade school and I thought I could avoid it when I became a sociology major.
Next semester I have to take statistical applications (in soc) and I have already taken statistics at community college twice. fml
>>
>>24803684
>I have a stats test this friday
If we talk on skype, I can help where I can and you can keep me on task to finish this paper due tomorrow
>>
>>24803725
>never experiencing exceptions in math
Bro, just wait until you get into the real complex stuff.
>>
>>24803684
Do you know how to start from the basics and use them to go up?
I think you might just not know how to study desu if you keep reading shit and you don't understand and you just keep doing that you might be a little slow.
>>
>>24803684
You go to school in upstate NY by any chance?
>>
>>24803725
i get what you're saying, i just see it the exact opposite way
some people are different mane
>>
>>24803725
what are imaginary numbers and why do they sound like jewish shenanigans?
>>
>>24803725

>i've never progressed past high school algebra
>>
>>24803684
Isn't statistics usually optional? Why take it if you hate math?

>>24803725
At high levels math starts to become really open-ended, almost like "philophsey".
>>
>>24803765
If you're bad at both math and languages, you're probably just dumb.
>>
>>24804212
The opposite really. Stats is usually required for (at least as I know) Associate degrees or for tranfer credits. At least for me
>>
>>24804212
I had to take stats for an AA and then when I transferred to state I found out I still had to take a statistical app class as behavioral science req. Shit is whack
>>
>>24803725
>English and philosophy is hard
Fucking kek
>>
>>24804461
Can a computer do math for you?
Yes.
Can a computer do philosophy for you?
No.
>>
>>24804314
>>24804371
Oops, now that you mention it I do recall it being that way.

Calculus was the path for people who were good at math.
>>
>>24804461
Philosophy is not easy, don't take the edgy, Nietzsche-obsessed 17 year old as evidence of philosophy.
>>
>>24803902

Imaginary number is just a name. The imaginary number i = sqrt(-1). The reason its called imaginary is likely because the sqrt(-1) is not defined in the context of real numbers. However, in the context of the complex numbers z (numbers of the form z = a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit sqrt(-1)), we can actually use imaginary numbers to solve problems with valid logic that would not yield to methods in real analysis.
>>
>>24804582
philosophy as a subject is easy, meaning you have to put in less work than math to succeed in academia. actually knowing philosophy is tough, but no undergrad actually knows philosophy. hell they don't really know math too
>>
>>24804588
Are you trying to kill us?
>>
>>24804536
Yeah, I'll just take a computer everywhere I go, especially during my exams.

>>24804582
Philosophy is and was easy as fuck for me. So was English. At least when taking the courses I took in school.

I can understand if you have trouble doing them if English is your first language, but otherwise how would you even fail these courses?
>>
>>24804536

Computers cannot do the vast majority of math. They can do arithmetic. The computational complexity of proof based mathematics is too much for any computer architecture to currently handle for nearly all proofs.
>>
>>24804588
nope sounds like jewish shenanigans to me. what about derivatives and differential equations? fuck that bullshit
>>
>>24804536
You try to program a computer to prove a theorm (without you having any knowledge of the proof beforehand), good luck with that
>>
>>24804634

Show me on the doll where the math touched you.
>>
>>24804630
Yeah, I'll agree that getting a PhD in math is harder than in philosophy, but I knew plenty of really lazy math and science majors in college who were always partying.
>>
>>24804657
Everywhere but the brain.
>>
>>24804644

Derivatives are just instantaneous rates of change (like the slope from basic lines in algebra, but for a wide variety of functions instead of just lines). Differential equations are equations written in terms of the derivatives of a function, and you're supposed to find the set of possible solutions that could have been the original function.
>>
>>24804676
STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!
I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!! I CANT DO MATH!!!
ARRRRGHHH!
>>
>>24804637
I'm guessing you meant "have trouble doing them if English isn't your first language".

I'm saying you can't just bullshit your way through philosophy, you have to actually do the reading, and at higher levels be able to think for yourself and do research on a wide variety of thinkers.

At what point in undergrad does math stop being just about memorizing formulas?
>>
File: 1448274853672.jpg (76 KB, 653x590) Image search: [Google]
1448274853672.jpg
76 KB, 653x590
>>24804704

y = mx +b
>>
>>24804676
and i think that's just swell. honestly i am not patronizing you here. but at the end of the day these equations, proofs, algorithms get used for three purposes
1) making cool tech (computer shit)
2) teaching (educational shit)
3) monopoly jewry (jew shit)
>>
>>24803684
I'm with you as far as hating math goes. The thing is I'm actually really good at it surprisingly. I've literally never scored below a B on any test and have never had below an A overall for all the math classes that I've taken.
>>
>>24803684
Buck up, Corey.
>>
>>24804637
Well, considering that everyone has a smart phone that can fit in their pocket and that phone has a connection to the internet, I think you can.

And I think most professors will agree the inteernet is a invaluable tool that helps everyone and having book smarts is no longer a valid thing to have anymore.
>>
>>24804706

Typically after the calculus sequence in freshman year, you take one of a variety of courses that will introduce you to propositional logic and proof. Most people take a discrete math course, but others might take a rigorous linear algebra, real analysis, abstract algebra, or elementary number theory course.

It varies by university and math specialization.
>>
>>24804588
haaa, squirt
>>
>>24804706
Yeah, that's what I meant.
That's just it though, i never had a problem doing the readings or papers. I don't know man, things like that just came easily. Probably because I had some form of interest in it. Plus I always saw it as a challenge.

But when it come to math, it's just in one ear and out the other. Like a fucking barricade blocking out everything. It was the single course that got me kicked out of my major. I'm that fucking stupid.
>>
>>24804734

And doing mathematical finance, mathematical biology, etc. I suppose those fall under "cool tech"

Anyway, two of those three purposes are huge and necessary to technological societies.
>>
>>24804752
If I could could have used my phone during math exams, I would still be in Uni and not shitposting on the chan.
>>
>>24804773

Are you narrating your bodily functions?
>>
>>24804752
>jlh
I literally thought you killed yourself. Is this bait?
>>
>>24804544
>Calculus was the path for people who were good at math
>tfw I'm terrible at math but taking calculus 1
>tfw passing the class after failing the practice test(38%), failing test 1 (47%), but passed test two(65%)

It's such a grind
>>
>>24804800
they certainly are. "cool tech" can mean anything from space exploration, pyramids, bridges designed by architects, medicine

but i can't pretend that math isn't used to perpetuate an inherently unstable capitalist system.
>>
>>24804831
It doesn't matter if you can or cannot use it DURING exams. What matters is if you can use it AT ALL during any profession or work after school.

WHEN IT MATTERS. When its NOT about grades. When you are actually doing something PRODUCTIVE.

>>24804843
bookskills/booksmarts are not a valid skill anymore in this technological era.
>>
File: 1449263446960.jpg (101 KB, 1024x904) Image search: [Google]
1449263446960.jpg
101 KB, 1024x904
>>24804881

>math is evil

Good bait.
>>
>>24804924
evil is a point of view. i just don't understand it and i don't care to go past stats because it starts getting pretty gay
>>
>>24804752
>inteernet is a invaluable tool that helps everyone and having book smarts is no longer a valid thing to have anymore

Okay, now you're trolling. Using the internet effectively still requires "book smarts". Patience, reading multiple explanations, research skills, etc.
>>
>>24804943

An intro stats course is on the level of an intro calc course in terms of difficulty. By gay, you obviously mean difficult. W/e floats your boat, but don't hate just because its hard for you.
>>
>>24804911
That's gay. Do you still do blog posts? That was some good reading.
>>
>>24804950
I don't have a high school diploma.

Give me a math question. Any question.

I will be able to give you the answer.
>>
>>24804881
>math isn't used to perpetuate an inherently unstable capitalist system

goddammit tumblr
>>
how are people so bad at math? i'm a stupidly simple class right now which is basically "what are factorials?", "how do you percents?", and "put this in your graphing calculator". people are actually managing to fail because they can't figure out how many ways you can choose 3-course meal with 2 appetizers, 5 main courses, and 3 desserts
>>
>>24803684
do you go to school at a Georgia Higlands campus, OP?
The stats exam isnt due till 11am.
you can still make it.
>>
>>24804536
A computer could do math and you could look up a majority of your homework but are you learning anything and does that make it easier because you told the device to do it? Also English was always easy to me because it's just applying the grammar you learned in writing.
>>
>>24805000
What are the basis vectors of the matrix

2|6|5|2
3|6|9|1
7|1|4|2
>>
>>24805000

In three space dimensions and time, given an initial velocity field, does there exist a vector velocity and a scalar pressure field, which are both smooth and globally defined, that solve the Navier-Stokes equations?
>>
>>24805000
All I'm saying is that the skills you need to get something out of the internet are the same as the skills a "book-smart" person has.

The only difference is that the internet is faster, and more accessible for people who don't have easy access to libraries.
>>
>>24805032
You're still in high school, aren't you?

That's Algebra II shit, that was the last time I was actually good at math.
>>
Who /Differential Equations/ here
Any high hopes of passing finals?
>>
>>24805100
it's college. I took the class to replace one because i'm literally just padding credits for my scholarships. I learned all of this in high school and I don't understand how anyone could have trouble with it
>>
>>24804986
Sometimes. I can get really into in some threads.

>>24805072
>>24805067
ok i was bullshitting i tried and i cant find the answer

pls dont hate me

im just gonna leave now...lol
>>
>>24805067
linearly independent, ie they are already basis vectors

>>24805072
yes
>>
>>24805123
Does DE come before, after, or concurrent with MVC?
>>
>>24805139
Well, people are dumb.

Most people can't even understand the difference between a noun and a verb.
>>
>>24803725
If you are operating in Z2, 1+1=0
>>
>>24805149

The second one, in plain English, is an unsolved problem in mathematics for which there is an award of $1 million awaiting the first person to successfully solve it.

I was just fucking with you. Its true that most of everyday mathematics can be done online with tools like wolfram alpha, including the problem that asks you to find a basis.
>>
>>24805149
>im just gonna leave now
Stay you dumb bitch. You're literally the most interesting person on this board. I'm not white knighting either. You're objectively fascinating.
>>
>>24805156

kek, obviously you must either give an example or prove that one must exist. Such a statement is not considered an answer in math.

>>24805159

You can take it before MVC in terms of what you actually need to know (although most universities won't let you), but I wouldn't recommend it. Also knowing about matrices helps in DE.
>>
>>24805196
samefagging

original comment
>>
>>24805149
Bye bye gook. Syronara muthafuka
>>
>>24804643
That's incorrect, there are several computer programs for making proofs. They don't work wonders or anything but they do construct valid if relatively uninspired proofs.
>>
>>24805156
>linearly independent, ie they are already basis vectors
There's 4 variables and 3 equations dummy. At least one is a multiple of the rest.
>>
>>24804235
Well I got into Oxford so I have that going for me
>>
>>24805179
welp i was wrong and right at the same time
i am smrt

>>24805196
no its my bedtime. i really need to go to bed.

cause like, i have stuff to do tomorrow. like really important stuff. like. uhh. do drug and masturbate. yea. i gotta do that tomorrow

aisle bee bach.
>>
>>24805219
So MVC is calc 3 and de is calc 4? Or am I fucking that up too?
>>
>>24805244
there are 3 variables, 4 equations
>>
>>24805238

No its not incorrect. If you'd read a bit more of the wiki article you googled, you'd find out that they suck shit at proving things, and that adding just a bit of complexity to the question adds an enormous and unreasonable amount of computational complexity to the problem, and that trained mathematicians are much better.
>>
>>24805248
>Liberal hellhole.
Even the Ivy League schools are a joke. Save yourself the money and go locally. Those "TOP TIER" schools are scams. Don't fall for the trap like I did.
>>
youre not alone senpai
>>
>>24805248
Are you a white male?

Also Brits don't say "junior year", do they?
>>
>>24805275

DE isn't really "calc 4". Calc 1, 2, 3 is just a naming scheme for college courses. At some places MVC is calc 2. SVC, MVC, and DE are just calculus in general, and the usual progression is SVC, MVC, DE or SVC, MVC, Linear Algebra, DE.
>>
>>24805287
You can make better connections at expensive, elite schools, and a lot of the STEM professors are there for a reason.
>>
File: 1447092336297.png (77 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1447092336297.png
77 KB, 300x188
>>24805220
>samefagging
What gave it away you fucking retard?

>>24805258
>do drug and masturbate
Who else but Lettuce
>>
>>24805000
Is the Riemann zeta hypothesis true?
>>
>>24805306
>SVC, MVC, DE or SVC, MVC, Linear Algebra, DE.
ThankyouIgiveup
>>24805279
Bro how are you reading that? Vectors are the columns.
>>
>>24805314
The education bubble is also at risk of a total collapse. Plus, you might not even be cut out for oxford even of you did get accepted. I had a friend who was accepted there as well and failed the second semester. He already has the same debt as a 4 year student from those two semesters. Like seriously what the fuck. I thought American unis were financial black holes.
>>
File: 1347680254598.png (129 KB, 651x481) Image search: [Google]
1347680254598.png
129 KB, 651x481
All my life I have been retarded at math. It required serious effort just to get C's in every math class I ever took from 6th grade onward. It fucking sucks because poor math skills keep you from doing most jobs that aren't wageslave tier and pretty much dooms you to a life of poverty.

However, statistics was different for me. It just made sense and clicked in a way no other math I ever studied had. I easily got an A in the 300-level stats course I took after I had to cheat just to get a C in the 100-level algebra class I took. It was so nice not having to struggle just to barely pass. Guess I'm some kind of stats savant.

Did that happen to anyone else?
>>
>>24805306
It's like Precalc 1 and 2 instead of Precalc and Trig
>>
>>24805386

Not exactly the same story but I got Cs in all HS math except Algebra I and Differential Calculus, where I gots As and Bs. Then I got a math degree at college. Intro stats was a pretty nice class.
>>
>>24805386
No. You just suck at life.
GIT GUD FAGGOT YOU DESERVE TO FAIL!
>>
>>24805386
I have the opposite problem.
I'm great at calculus but shit at anything involving combinatorics so probability was kind of a struggle.
>>
>>24805365
compare
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={{2%2C6%2C5%2C2}%2C{3%2C6%2C9%2C1}%2C{7%2C1%2C4%2C2}}

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=linear+independence+{{2%2C6%2C5%2C2}%2C{3%2C6%2C9%2C1}%2C{7%2C1%2C4%2C2}}
>>
>>24805314
Yeah, I used to fall for that meme too. All my great school and all its connections got me was a shit load of debt and none of those connections wanting anything to do with me.
>>
>>24805399

Pretty much.

Naming conventions for math are weird. You don't need to know trig to learn the basic calculus concepts unless you specifically want to know how to differentiate and integrate trig functions.

Precalc is also weird for a course name because the concepts in math all can stand alone as subjects. Its just because the math curriculum in HS and early college builds up to calculus as the ultimate goal.
>>
>>24803725
>there is no opinion in math
>1+2+3+4... = -1/12
>>
>>24805532

Its not an opinion, its a convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramanujan_summation

The conditions are explicitly stated.
>>
>>24805573
>conditions
ie mathematical opinions
>>
>>24805442
Nigga, I'm not even clicking that. I gave 4 verticle vectors. Its not really up for supercomputer debate. Like why are you interpreting something different? At minimum your going to yeild one free variable. There's not enough room for each variable to have its own value. You run out equations. That's apparent just on site.
>>
>>24805455

Yea. I'm going into physics, and would like to delve into quantum physics because is so damned fascinating to me, but then again, so is everything else. Shit, maybe I'll look into quantum gravity or something. I don't know. All I know is that I need math and a lot of it. I'm currently in precalc cause I was out of school for so long, and I'm just assuming that I'll need just about every math course ever.
>>
>>24805609
>vectors
lel mate you gave a matrix
>>
>>24805591

No, thats not what those are.

>>24805614

Actually, you won't need every math course ever. You will actually be able to get by without knowing proof based math. Studying quantum physics requires pretty much the following:

Precalc + Single Variable Calc + Multivariable Calc + Linear Algebra + Probability + Ordinary DEs + Partial DEs (ideal but not always required depending on the level of the text you use).
>>
>>24805620
Matrix A = {a1, a2, a3, a4}
Little 'a' means vector.
Go to bed.
>>
>>24805386
Opposite for me, I got A* on every other maths course but managed to blunder my way to an E on Stats.
>>
>>24805668
yes, see >>24805442
you messed up your notation so didn't get the answer you were hoping
>>
>>24805678
My notation? Did you think I was giving horizontal vectors?

| isnt really a notation. I was just separation the numbers so that it didn't look like 3 four digit numbers.
>>
>>24805661

Ah ok. That actually gives me a good direction. My CC actually offers Linear Algebra, so I might take that before I transfer.

Why wouldn't I need proof based math? It seems like it would be a good thing to know for research and shit, especially theoretical stuff.
>>
>>24805742
it's a bizarre way to write vectors
(x,y,z) is more appropriate
>>
>>24805742
But blank spaces are how matrices are always written
>>
File: 1448817440867.jpg (92 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1448817440867.jpg
92 KB, 409x409
Absolutely not.
Your post made me comfy anon.
>>
>>24805777
Expanding would look something like
{[4,7,8],[3,7,1],[3,0,1]}

With disclaimer : These are vectors, not rows.

>Also czeched
>>
>>24805807
Which is why I don't see how using a vertical line was such a monkey wrench.
>>
>>24805772

The vast majority of physicists with an undergraduate degree are not very familiar with much of proof based math (although a minority know some, and ever fewer know a great deal). Its not needed for experimental physics, and even only a few of the greats cared about proofs. They were good at math, but didn't concern themselves with rigorous proofs.

By all means, do it. But make sure you are well prepared. A course in basic proofs and discrete math should absolutely come first before you study theoretical subjects in math like analysis, abstract algebra, topology, etc.
>>
>>24805368
>The education bubble is also at risk of a total collapse.

Yeah, and ISIS is going to invade the US through Mexico. Come on, you're just being silly.

Also Oxford and the Ivy Leagues aren't particularly "harder" than other schools once you're in.

>>24805445
Well obviously it doesn't mean shit if you're a social retard. But if you actually want to study something specific under someone nationally who's an expert, going to a specific school can be a good thing.
>>
>Tfw majoring in comp science but suck at math.

Had to drop college algebra this semester =|
>>
retar
>>
>>24804582
From my experience people who think philosophy is easy haven't done any serious work in the field. You need a firm grasp of classical logic (and other logics like modal logic) to understand it properly and an ability to correctly reason about highly abstract topics. It becomes really rigorous quickly.

>>24804212
At higher levels math becomes more abstract and focused on rigorous proofs, e.g.
http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200226p
>>
File: 1443846370468.gif (397 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1443846370468.gif
397 KB, 720x480
>>24803684
I feel you harder than just about anything else I've ever felt on this board. I hate math so fucking much it would bring me to tears sometimes trying to understand it. I failed algebra 1 twice in high school even while going to a tutor twice a week. All of my life everyone says "i used to be like that too but then i just studied harder" and that's great that that worked for them but I just cannot comprehend this shit at all. I think i could be like dyslexic with numbers or something because every time i read a math problem (especially long equations) I have to read it about 20 times before I can even hope to remember it. And then I'll do a couple steps and realize I forgot a number and have to start over again. I barely graduated highschool cause of this shit. I hate being stupid
>>
>>24805991
http://www.ams.org/notices/200902/rtx090200226p.pdf
>>
I have a Calculus test tomorrow and I don't know what I'm going to do if I fail it. Most of my classes require Cal as a prereq and I'm barely passing the fucking class as is.
I understand the material but I always fuck up on certain steps or make a careless mistake (forgetting exponent, negatives, etc) and that screws up the whole problem.
I hate math so much.
>>
>I thought I was kinda mediocre when it comes to logical reasoning
>pick CS as a major
>all the math courses are pure hell, because I am actually dumb as fuck
>>
>>24803684
Stats are just fucked, i do well at most areas of mathematics, but stats always fucked me up for some reason.
>>
>>24805884
Awesome, thanks man. I needed that. As soon as I ditch this job, I can really gear up and bunker down.
>>
math is as boring and absolute as a machine. it does nothing substantial for you, invokes nothing in you, there is nothing fun about it and it's purpose is tied into mathematics, in other words, you don't really need math to survive.
math is a prerequisite to technology, but not life, which is why i don't like it.
it's like gravity. it's there, you have to deal with it and it's so present that it's boring, you don't care about it no matter how much it effects you.
>>
>>24804727
>y = mx +b

I spent way to long trying to figure out what that meant before I realize it was just a really shitty way of saying y=ax+b
>>
>>24808561
it's supposed to be y = mx + c
>>
>>24807050
>>24807050
holy fuck you're such a faggot senpai. Your beta ass would be dead in a cold harsh time without modern technology.
>>
tfw 3.0+ gpa in economics and had no problem with statistics
>>
>>24803684
A result of nothing but purely low intelligence. Math is one of the most fundamental subjects.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.