[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you realize you cant bring yourself to believe in God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1422394709013.png (9 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1422394709013.png
9 KB, 633x758
>tfw you realize you cant bring yourself to believe in God anymore.

I just cant logically find faith anywhere. Depression and college have made my whole worldview nihilistic against my will.

How can I live my life when nothing means anything anymore?

Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
really could use some advice, bump #1/2
>>
>>24801645
Now you know why so many people are religious.

You need to find a sense of purpose within yourself. Putting your faith into anything other than yourself is road to nothing.

Nobody really gives a fuck about you in this world save for some family and friends if you're lucky. You can't rely on an external sense of purpose in life.

Find something that gives you satisfaction and joy and do it.

Easier said than done of course and I, like everyone else here, don't follow my own advice
>>
I lost my faith around the same time I hit puberty.
>>
I didn't believe in God even when I was a kid and my mom was doing everything to try and make me believe.

Some people are just less inclined to believe in it, and if believing is not part of your make up, you'll always have the slightest doubt hidden somwhere inside. People relapse and then come back all the time.
>>
losing your faith is only the first step in this journey op. read some buddha, lao tzu, etc.
>>
>>24801645
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcPWU59Luoc

I like alan watts idea of what god is, so i go by it.
>>
>>24801827
I just feel like the curtain has been lifted on life. Like kindness is just pro-social evolutionary programming, love is just chemicals, drive for success is just to appear as a better mate, and death is permanent.

In HS I used to pray all the time for my life to improve, and even when it did not I still prayed. I lived by rules because I knew there would be some sort of reward at the end. The universe felt ordered and sensible, and my place in it felt purposeful.
>>
>>24801827
>You need to find a sense of purpose within yourself.

>mfw people who spout shit like that delude themselves they are not being religious

Oh wait, it's my regular face.
>>
>>24801934
you are having baby's first existential crisis

the next step is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_death
>>
File: 1449179932887.jpg (55 KB, 470x698) Image search: [Google]
1449179932887.jpg
55 KB, 470x698
AYO HOL UP SO U SAYIN
>blows up abortion clinic
WAIT MAN SO U BE SAYIN
>hands a starving 3rd world child a bible
*smacks lips* SO U SAYIN
>cuts off baby's penis tip
WAIT UP BRUH SO U SAYIN
>kneels before the cock of israel
CHILL NIGGA U BE SAYIN
>kills a tax paying, law abiding, white gay man for being gay
MUHH FUGGA I KNO U AINT SAYIN
>complains about starbucks cup
MO BOOGA M BOP SO U SAYIN
>speaks to his imaginary friend, actually expecting an answer
SO U SAYIN
>crusades
MY NIGGA WAIT UP CUZ I KNO U AINT SAYIN
>reads fairy tales and thinks they happened
*shuffles feet*SO U BE SAYIN BRUH
>praises god for being good after finding a shiny penny while 8 children died of starvation and 3 innocent women were raped in that same minute
HELL TO DA NAW U CANT BE SAYIN
>shows off tattoos unaware of the fact they are forbidden - Leviticus 19:28
HOL DA FUCK UP I KNO U AINT SAYIN
>takes life advice from illiterate, murderous, disease ridden bronze age barbarians with a life expectancy of 35
I SED HOL DA FUCK UP U AINT SAYIN
>waterboards a baby
MUHHFUGGA BIX NOOD BOODY BOP HE REALLY SAYIN
>tell africans in the middle of an AIDS epidemic that condoms are bad
*scratches* NAW HOL UP SO YOU SAYIN
>believes in tall tales and mytholygy because it quells his fear of death
BRUH MAYNE I KNOW YOU AINT SAYIN
>massacres a preschool of over 1,000 toddlers with an assault rifle & semi automatic machine gun. Repents and gets into heaven anyway
SO YOU IS REALLY SAYIN
>doesnt realize that in ~1,000 years Jesus will be in Marvel movies just like Thor
SO U BE SAYIN
>eats a jesus cracker
HOL UP A GOD DAM MINUTE I KNO U AINT SAYIN
>pays the salary of kidfucker pedos
SO YOU IS SAYIN U DONT BELIEVE IN GOD? FUCKING FEDORA LMAO
>>
>>24801895
>buddha, lao tzu
>>24801922
>alan watts

Wow, this thread went downhill rapidly.

Enjoy lapping up this paradoxical, undefined garbage no less than simultaneously thinking you are 'still atheists'.
>>
>>24801989
shut up you projecting idiot i didn't say anything about atheism. go away
>>
>>24801934
Loads of people feel this way. With more life experience you'll find that you can't really take everything in life at face value. Everybody's existential crisis is different and the way you overcome it is unique to you.
>>24801977
I had an ego death when I was on shrooms. It was beautiful. No lasting impact though
>>
daily reminder that atheists are retarded memes
even the most famous atheist richard dawkins admitted he can't prove there is no god
all religions being wrong != no god
you're a pleb if you don't agree with that
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 598x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 598x369
> can't logically find faith anywhere
Beta uprising
>>
>>24802023
Pretty good meltdown, anon
>>
>>24802004
>you projecting idiot

I am probably the only person on /r9k/ who is accused of 'schizophrenic ramblings' and 'spouting meaningless, ill-defined nonsense' as much as of 'narrow-minded, blind scientism' and 'autistic attachment to logic'. I wish robots just set up their minds one day.
>>
File: image.gif (7 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
7 KB, 256x256
>>24801982
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Get of my board normie
>>
>>24801645
Same m8, my life went to shit my senior year of HS and freshman year of college. Super depressed, bad grades. I literally prayed for hours every night, for anything. But after a while i realized im just talking to myself.

Religion is really just a tool to control the masses, and to give people a sense of relief and ease about death. Still have yet to tell my parents about this cause theyll disown me.
>>
>>24801977
I know what I am going through isn't unique, but its hard for me because its like I lost something precious by growing up. I think many Atheists realized it earlier than me and have had alot of time to deal with these questions. They forget just how amazing belief can feel.

I started asking these questions when my religion teacher had us read The God Delusion. I brushed it off at first and for a few months after I ignored it. However due to depression I thought about it more and more. It started as "what if God isnt benevolent", then went to "what if God does not care", then to "what if God hates me", then finally to "what if God does not exist".
>>
>>24802023
Most atheists do recognize that but it's tedious to append that to every statement regarding the topic and half the time if it is mentioned people view it as a confession that you secretly believe their religion is true. Furthermore it's really irrelevant to most of the discussion anyway as the idea is living a day to day life as if there were no god.
>>
>>24802122
>tfw was literally never religious cause my family isn't
>tfw I will never experience the blissful peace and ignorance of religion
>>
>>24802122
>It started as "what if God isnt benevolent", then went to "what if God does not care", then to "what if God hates me", then finally to "what if God does not exist".

You forgot the part you'll never get to: 'what if the term "God" has no meaningful criteria for discussing his existence in the first place'. In other words, God neither exists or doesn't exist; this whole realm of discussion is insubstantial.
>>
>>24802122
>They forget just how amazing belief can feel.
i can relate to that sentiment. i am 23 now and to be honest i can't remember when i "stopped believing" but it has been so long now i can not really remember a time when i truly did believe.

i used to believe the world was a better place as a whole until you grow up.. etc.. now after many redpills i see the world as a beautiful place but the people as the problem.
ironically i study sociology
>>
>>24802195
To me God was a consciousness, and an order. I believed the universe had a purpose behind it and my life was a special piece of a grand design. I cant really become "spiritual" about God because of this.

I think spirituality is alot more resilient for people who do not have a hard definition of God.
>>
i believe in god. i believe god wants us to be peaceful and work towards advancing science and technology, so that one day humans won't die anymore and we can bring back the ones who have died. we can all contribute to this in our own way. there's no reason to rush into death.
>>
File: 1447535504169.jpg (70 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1447535504169.jpg
70 KB, 400x388
>>24801645
Who says you need faith anymore.

I remember feeling the same way as you... when I was 16 and I started to realize that God probably does not exist... and the Bible (OT) is so ethno-centric and regional in nature that it can hardly be anything other than a creation myth by a small tribe in the Middle East. Furthermore, why would a supreme being - the Creator of the entire Universe and everything within be so obsessed with the Israelis? It makes no sense...

Anyway, you will get over this. I am a scientist now... and probably would not have become one had I not become an atheist early on in life.
>>
>>24802355
>I think spirituality is alot more resilient for people who do not have a hard definition of God.

This is true. The antithesis of religion is not fact, it is unambiguity.
>>
I'm praying for everyone in this thread. I don't know any of you personally, but I feel kinship to robots because I know almost all of you are here for the same reason I came here originally: You felt depressed and lonely.

I love you, robots. I pray and hope you all find faith again, and at any rate, I hope God brings you all the same peace he brought me.
>>
I basically realized that religion is a human construct and there isn't a way to prove a god exists, but can be proven there is at least a lack of god as described by majority people. That and a lot of hardcore belief is backed by ignorance and and stubborness to open your eyes to the fact that religion was written by man to subdue, explain, and give a "greater" purpose to man.

Now that I am free what's my reason to be good? To have morals at all? To continue to exist.

My answer is simple, for the continuation of mankind into the future and for my immediate pleasure. My view is I must become the best I can be so that I can have a place in this world and create as I see fit. For the sake of my ancestors and for those that will come after I must work to send man into the stars to become the most powerful sentient race. In the end I hold hope that it will be worth it and that we will transcend the heavens and perhaps when the universe collapses we will have the technology to stop it and gain infinity. Or whatever it is that it out there. As for the now, shit man, I'm gonna do what everyone wants to do and gain wealth, gain a gf, have a life and enjoy it. When I die I hope that there is some sort of afterlife or reincarnation, but if there isn't it wont make a difference, I wont exist to feel it. So may as well enjoy life and live it up while it lasts. Meaning of the world is what you put into it.
>>
>>24802480
What kind of scientist, and what's your yearly pay? Just wondering because I would like to do science but most of the pays are shit.
>>
>>24802600
Geology

Make six figures a year...

It's readily attainable if you are good.
>>
>>24802483
I agree. Any system that claims to have universal unambiguous rules for almost every life situation could be considered a religion.
>>
>>24801645
Don't worry OP, He will lead you to Himself in good time.
>>
welcome to teenage angst 101
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.