[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Free will is just an illusion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
Free will is just an illusion
>>
I'd have to agree.

How has realizing that there's no free will altered the way in which you live your life?
>>
Perfect illusions can't be accepted as anything less than truth
>>
The illusion of free will is entry level edgelord content.
>>
>>24801281
The more I study AI the more apparent how much of our thoughts are "automated" like the machines I program.
>>
>>24801281
If I don't turn the page, I enact free will

is your mind blown yet?
>>
>>24801281
>I'm Not Responsible for My Actions as an Individual: The Thread
>>
>>24801281
i don't understand

you can easily prove this shit wrong simply by doing something you dont want to do
>>
Post more pictures from that book, OP.
>>
So people who believe in free will can't change their minds.
>>
>>24802957
"responsibility" is a myth that only normies believe in, so yes, I'm actually not
>>
All humans are hardwired to pursue pleasure and avoid pain. If one can only act in this way, there is no question of free will.
>>
>>24801281
Wouldn't uncertainty prove the claim that it's 'predetermined' is bullshit, even if human action is entirely mechanistic?
Anyways the whole point is moot as long as there is no way to actually figure out what the predetermination is. You might as well lecture a video game AI on the fact that it 'doesn't have free will' and expect something to come of it.
>>
>>24801281
Well if X person want to do Y then when they are born X will do Y i don't understand why people get so hung up on this bullshit you can't think in concrete terms when considering consciousness.
>>
Everything is an illusion.
We are barely even here.

To something more real we would look like creatures made of dots.
>>
>>24801281
Lack of free will is just an excuse atheists and degenerates use to justify obeying the word of god.
>>
>>24802977
>doing something you dont want to do

But that's literally impossible.
>>
>>24802873
>tfw "enacting your free will" was something already bound to happen

>>24802957
Not OP but yes, a great amount of people do use that as an excuse to feel better actions or lack thereof, but I would like to point out that one can believe in what he proposed while still acknowledging that they are (from a practical and socially constructed perspective) indeed responsible for their actions.
>>
>>24803128
>free will doesn't exist but let's pretend it does
>>
>>24803126
You can do what you want, but you can't want what you want.
>>
File: 274.jpg (167 KB, 709x1086) Image search: [Google]
274.jpg
167 KB, 709x1086
> i have free will because of:

> muh quantum mechanics
>>
>>24803166
It's something you have to do if you want to avoid having utterly unnecessary discussions with the average folk.
>>
>>24802814

The "illusion" of free will is far from perfect. It breaks down the more you look at it.
>>
>>24803046

The hedonic imperative, in other words.
>>
>>24801281
>>24801281
if you can truly genuinely convince the brain of this then you can become a psychopath pcool
>>
>>24803604

if we have no free will then even the act of "convincing the brain" will have been out of your control
>>
OMG OP you changed my life with that redpill. But really, you are a faggot.
>>
>>24803555
Yeah I was just countering OP's post with something equally entry-tier philosophical and retarded
>>
File: 516515.jpg (25 KB, 536x537) Image search: [Google]
516515.jpg
25 KB, 536x537
Y'all are all faggots. Here's how it really is.

>imagine there's a computer that can sense the electrical impulses in your brain so precisely that it can predict your decisions 30 seconds before you make them
>scientists make you choose between flavors or ice cream, favorite songs and different pillows for an experiment testing to see how accurate this machine is
>100% of the time it guesses correctly
>they tell you
>you get super butthurt and start spouting that nothing you do matters because it was all predetermined since the big bang
>scientists ask you whether you felt like you when you were choosing between various things
>unless you're schizo the answer is probably yes
>scientists point out that you got what you wanted
>you're still butthurt because you say your choices don't matter because it's only ever gonna turn out one way
>scientists ask you if it would make you feel better if reality split in two every time you decided to wipe your ass with your left hand instead of your right
>spew shit about free will being an illusion
>scientists ask who made the decision if not you
>"a bunch of random particles flying around"
>scientists point out that the decision had to happen inside your head, not anywhere else, and that describing your brain as "a bunch of random particles flying around" isn't technically wrong, but it is needlessly pessimistic

It's almost as if you want some pseudo-scientific reason to not take any responsibility for your life.
>>
>>24803604

I doubt that.

When I stopped believing in free will I became a nicer, more balanced person. The opposite of a psychopath.
>>
>>24804009

What exactly do you mean by "taking responsibility for your life"?
>>
>>24804243
Going out and getting what you want instead of making memes about why you can't
>>
>>24804399

>Going out and getting what you want instead of making memes about why you can't

Say I want a new motorcycle. I buy one and it breaks and defies all attempt at repair under warranty.

I live in a state where motorcycles aren't covered under the lemon law.

I sell the broken down bike for 1/10th as much as I paid for it, because that's the most I can get.

Is the fact that I lost a lot of money and didn't get what I wanted despite paying for it in any way not "taking responsibility"?

Did I "take responsibility" at any point during this hypothetical scenario?
>>
>>24803673
i mean at a fundamentally subconscious level as opposed to an operative one
>>
>>24801281
This would appear to be true. After all, we're rational beings and couldn't be irrational even if we wanted to.
>>
>>24804546
Yes, you tried to get what you wanted and it got fucked. Try again or try something else.

If you wanted a sure thing you picked the wrong universe to exist in bub
>>
File: stop.gif (333 KB, 289x149) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
333 KB, 289x149
>>24801281
Proof or gtfo.
Fagets.
>>
>>24804652

>Yes, you tried to get what you wanted and it got fucked. Try again or try something else.

I would have been better off in that scenario if I had NOT "taken responsibility", though.

If I had chosen to not go out and get what I wanted, I would have been in the better position.

>If you wanted a sure thing you picked the wrong universe to exist in bub

What if I don't want to spend my life putting myself at the mercy of others with more power than me?

By the way, did the motorcycle manufacturer "take responsibility" by selling me a shitty bike? After all, they made a big profit off it. They made themselves happy by hurting someone else. Is that responsible?
>>
>implying free will can't coexist with determinism
Lol just think for like 5 more seconds senpai. It's honestly not that hard to understand.
>>
>>24804729

It can't, unless you change the definition of "free will" into that compatilbilist crap.

Compatibilists seem completely unable to grasp the concept of "wanting to want". It's not that hard a concept for me to grasp, but apparently a lot of people can't even conceive of it..
>>
Great. That means I don't need to do anything. I am what fate decided me to be.

I am perfect.
>>
>>24804776

>That means I don't need to do anything

Just because there's no free will doesn't mean you're free from need.

A car doesn't have free will, but it can still require a new set of tires.
>>
File: or am I .gif (64 KB, 616x164) Image search: [Google]
or am I .gif
64 KB, 616x164
>>24801281
Are we all pawns, controlled by something greater ?
>>
>>24804760
A lot of it does indeed come down to definitions and arbitrarily choosing one definition over another.
>>
>>24804697
>If I had chosen to not go out and get what I wanted, I would have been in the better position.
lol
>What if I don't want to spend my life putting myself at the mercy of others with more power than me?
then kill yourself if it's such a burden to not be God
>By the way, did the motorcycle manufacturer "take responsibility" by selling me a shitty bike? After all, they made a big profit off it. They made themselves happy by hurting someone else. Is that responsible?
this isn't about them, this is about your whiny ass complaining about your free will or lack thereof. Not even that, it's about how much you feel your decisions matter. Which is a fancy way of saying you're so autistic that instead of just picking vanilla or chocolate you wanna write a novel about the mechanics of decision making
>>
>>24804859

When all else fails, dodge and evade the questions, am I right?
>>
File: truebeauty.webm (51 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
truebeauty.webm
51 KB, 166x200
>>24804859
>>24804836
>>24804803
>>24804798
>>24804776
>>24804760
>>24804697
>>24804652
>>24804621
>>24804579
>>24804546
>>24804399
Proof or GTFo fagets. Fucking proof. Prove your claim. Prove it. Or stfu forever.
>>
>>24804902

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joanVUoXY0s

There you go.
>>
>>24804898
Do you wanna talk about motorcycles or free will. Cuz idgaf about motorcycles.

We can sit here making up hypotheticals about the correct course of action you should take is, when the real answer is that the amount of information you need to make any given decision is infinite. Therefore work with what you've got, educate yourself, and if life shits in your plans then laugh it off or kill yourself.

And for fucks sake stop acting like it makes a flying fuck of difference
>>
>>24804997

The example doesn't need to be about motorcycles.

What I was arguing against is the idea that "taking responsibility" as you defined it is inherently a good thing.

Sometimes "taking responsibility" puts you in a worse position.

People use "take responsibility" as a way of blaming people for their shitty lives. "Why is his life so shitty?"

"Oh, it's because he didn't "take responsibility".
>>
>>24804902
is that cia
>>
>>24805027
When I say that I'm specifically talking about people who sit on their ass their entire lives because they're too scared to do anything else.

If you think doing something is the best course of action, do it
If not doing anything seems like a better plan, do that
Obviously both extremes of that are dumb
>>
>>24805074

If someone sits on their ass their *entire* life, they're probably suffering from crippling depression or something.

People don't choose to get depression.
>>
>>24802862
Explain further

Original comment
>>
>>24805113
You can choose to try to get better. Or kill yourself.
>>
>>24805210

>You can choose to try to get better.

Like how?

>Or kill yourself.

I don't see how that's better than just loafing around for life. Or loafing till you can't stand it, and then doing it.
>>
>>24805312
Whatever you think will help you get better. Alternatively, what your friends/family/therapist thinks will help you get better

I mean I wouldn't torture myself for a lifetime but that's just a matter of taste
>>
>>24801281
What is this book please
>>
>>24804965
We can choose what we desire.
We can have choosen virtues, which will be more important than our desires. Or become one of desire, doesn't matter, still choosen. By a rational mind.

Anyway, there is no proof. There is only "i think", "i guess", "it's the truth". fuck off with that. We can "prove" anything that way.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.