[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>always told that trades are easy to get into >look into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: 1419056285971.jpg (5 KB, 239x250) Image search: [Google]
1419056285971.jpg
5 KB, 239x250
>always told that trades are easy to get into
>look into plumbing
>becomming an apprentice is like applying for college, they require a high school diploma (don't have one)
>have to be an apprentice for 3 years until you're even allowed to apply to take the test to become a plumber
>have to be a journeyman plumber for 2 years until you can be a master plumber

LE TRADES ARE EASY MEME
>>
>>24798434
do you hav a plan B?
>>
What's so great about plums anyway
>>
>>24798434
Right but my buddy was an apprentice plumber for a while and that's like a job. You get paid and shit.

He stopped doing it after a while idk what he does now haven't talked to him in a while.
>>
>>24798434
>they require a high school diploma (don't have one)

How the fuck do you not have a high school diploma?

If you went to a public school in america they will give a degree to anyone who shows up.
>>
>>24798554

nothing really, I just need a way to make a living
>>
>>24798586

I'm legitimately retarded. But trades are supposed to be for stupid people and fuckups so why the fuck would you need a hs diploma anyway
>>
Easier than getting 4 year degree and hoping you can get an entry level cubicle job with it. At least what you're going into guarantees some job security.
>>
>>24798586
i don't have one

>anyone who shows up

yea i didnt show up. lol
>>
>>24798434
Do they accept GED? It's supposed to be a legal equivalent I got mine a few years ago bullshit if they only accept high school diploma cuz its not like 30 year old person could go back to high school
>>
>>24798643
this. the requirement is usually
>High school diploma required (or equivalent)
Equivalent meaning GED.

You can get your GED any time OP.
>>
>>24798635
Trades aren't for fuck ups dude they're for people who didn't have rich or middle class parents.

Trades are pretty much harder than any white collar jobs or the kind of jobs trust fund kids get between college and grad school
>>
>>24798688
>>24798643

I have a GED. it specifically said high school diploma required. Then again that wasn't the only program in the city, there's more that will probably take my GED
>>
>>24798808
Did it say "No GED" on the ad? cause otherwise you should probably call them and ask.
>>
>>24798434
That's a reddit maymay for sheltered liberal snowflakes butthurt about their women's studies debt and think busting their balls for 40 years is somehow easier.

>>24798635
>trades
>for stupid people

The last person who should be doing that kind of labor is a moron. You don't have to be liberal arts educated but at least have wits.
>>
>>24798871
theres actually a fuck ton of advanced maths involved in plumbing or at least becoming a journeyman, master plumber
if you can't handle college your not gonna get though plumb either
>>
>>24798755
This.
>Wanted to go to a local college for dentistry.
>Was 32K a term.
>After the four years of training I'd have to go to another school for the actual training taking another 4 years.
>Probably would have cost me close to 350K overall.
>Go to a local trade school and go for an intensive 2 year program only costing me 32K total to learn.

Wish I wasn't fucking poor, probably would have really gone for dentistry but this is life in good ol' burgerland. :^)
>>
>>24798914
I know a contractor who's an engineering drop out. He knows what he's doing.
>>
>>24798958
What did you go for? I have a... Not a trade but a skill, but I'm kind of tired of it so I've been looking into trade schools idk what I would go for or how to know/be sure that's what I would want

Idk why I'm asking just curious
>>
>>24798871
>not wanting a literal retard doing the electrical wiring in your house
>>
>>24798641
I didn't even show up and I passed. If you can't get a high school diploma you should go fix that first.
>>
>>24798434
They are easy.

High school diploma, you should have one, youre a dumbass. I didnt even try in high school and graduated in 5 years instead of 4.

Apprentice of 3 years is not so bad considering college costs significantly more and costs more work.
>>
File: 45006.png (4 KB, 628x360) Image search: [Google]
45006.png
4 KB, 628x360
>>24798434
Electrician here, it's not as easy as people make it out to be, but it's not as time consuming as going for a degree in something retarded like history,arts or philosophy, also lots of math and you need to know how to do technical drawing.

This is an example of something we learned the first year of school, first you do it by hand then use software, still you need to calculate and resolve the problems they ask you to.

It's similar for plumbers, maybe less theory and more practice, but you still need to learn how to draw and make schemes.
>>
>>24799063
>Apprentice of 3 years is not so bad considering college costs significantly more and costs more work.
Dont forget that it pays close to what a doctor gets
Which is a lot more than a bachelors degreefag gets
Which is a 4 year degree
>>
>>24799014
IT, I didn't want to fucking post about it but it's what I got into. I mean, if you master it (Which is nearly impossible) the pay can be extremely good from what I've been told. I didn't get into it for the wages although I have asked questions constantly about the yearly income for it and nobody will give me a straight answer.
Aside from myself ranting it's decently complicated and as people have been saying it just requires alot of math. I'd look into something if you're bored of your current skill.
>>
>>24799109

>pay is close to what a doctor gets

Plumbers make around 500k a year?
>>
>>24799191
it depends on the doctor tho senpai
>>
>>24798434
Trades are absolutely maymay tier. I have tried several times to look for any trade schools in my area and all I could find are those meme schools like Devry and University of Phoenix
>>
>>24799191
500k a year is for the best doctors.

every other average doctor is most likely in the 100k range.
>>
>>24799191
Doctors dont make 500k/yr what the fuck are you on, the TOP practitioners make just over 300k
>>
>>24799109
Apprentice 3 yr Journeyman 2 yr is more school than that Bachelor degree. Plus you have to add on more time to establish the business, make a name for yourself and such.
>>
>>24798914
This, I work as a surveyor (Geomatics engineering land surveyor) and my boss was an industrial plumber, some smart shit involved with that. Trades are actual jobs where actual work gets done, it's great.
>>
>>24798554
plumbs are good
>>
>>24799321

ok, plumbers still don't make around 100k a year either.
>>
>>24799358
>Geomatics engineering land surveyor
What does this entail and how does one get a job like this?
>>
>>24799321
BLS gives the average for physicians at $194000, plumbers at $53000
>>
>High school diploma
>Get paid doing a job which is mostly training for 3 years
>Get paid more doing it again for 2 years after that

You're getting paid to learn and the connections will come easy because you're already proving that you can do the job because they're training you to do it right.

Sounds pretty easy to me, OP. You just sound lazy.
>>
>>24798434
Pro tip: most tradesmen didn't take the official way into it.
I learned carpentry along the way. I started by hitting up construction sites and begging for work, I started as a go-fer working for less than minimum wage under the table. Stuck with it and asked a lot of questions, and would try my hand at anything technical I could get.
Eventually got put on the books at $12/hr, they moved me up to cut man. After so many years, I call myself a carpenter, that's my job title at work and I make $20/hr and I recently passed my contractor test.
No one I've ever worked with, save for one old guy from up north, who used to be union (lol unions don't matter down here), ever went through any sort of apprenticeship. They all just worked their way up the construction ladder. Unless you're going into something highly specialized, like boilermaking or something fucking weird like that, apprenticeships don't really matter. Go to any plumbing shop and beg for work, they'll learn you something along the way.
>>
>>24799542
Also, my dad was an accountant all his life, and then in his 40's, he quit his job, got his CDL and became a truck driver and makes pretty much the same money. Truckers make fucking bank, and it's an easy to get into trade. Shit, I picked up a class A just for fun, myself.
>>
>>24799542

>your options are either work for 5+ years making shit money to maybe make 53k a year or you can be an under the table slave illegal immigrant level worker for years to make 20 dollar an hour

hahaha, you tradies crack me up
>>
>>24799445
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomatics_engineering

I got in as a chairman and was taught in the field. If your math is not strong you'll need to develop it, but you can do modules via correspondence to get certified, that's what I did. Last winter I ripped around on a skidoo/foot away from the 300 other workers to lay and map out boundaries and centreline for oil pipe.

I'm Canadian so it's a lot of time in the outdoors if you're not doing legal or construction in a city. I love it. Usually work alone or with one other person (the chainman, ie, the helper)
>>
>>24799639
$20 is big money round here.
>>
>Dropped out of college and became a conductor on a class I railroad
>Make $42/hr and guaranteed $1900/week
Sucks that I'm furloughed right now, though.
>>
Trades are in demand, but you need to pick the right field and have a plan.
Right now, there is a huge lack of truck drivers. They pay for schooling and you get out into a usually 30k a year job but its not easy as it sounds, some routes are easy and others will fuck you up the ass, and if you want to make more money you basically become a slave to your truck.
Money doesn't come from nowhere. I suggest finding something that you can tolerate, build up a skill base, get a job NOW in something related to it and if you think you'll need papers work towards it.
Everyone will tell you shit like this, its only the people who stick at it that actually get ahead and learn to live below their means and save that have any chance of 'getting ahead'.
Don't go into the fucking trades thinking its easy. Some of the highest paying jobs with the least amount of education are in the trades because you can die while doing them. Take oil field jobs for example.
You're just not going to win in any economic situation by repeating similar behaviors. 'Hard work' is always appreciated because everyone has a lot on their table and its been that way for years or they couldn't have a job, so anyone who makes it easier for everyone is a godsend.
>>24799542
always a great way because no one ever wants to conduct interviews. I talked to a former government official who said something like 80% of jobs are already hired by the time you see a posting and the posting exists to advertise for other jobs they have.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.