[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why not become an artist or musician, robots? You can pass off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 600x480
Why not become an artist or musician, robots?

You can pass off your autism off as being "eccentric" and people will think you are deep and tortured. Also, art is easy as shit. Just be pretentious enough about it and you will be able to shit on a canvas and sell it for a couple grand.
>>
I'm trying

https://clyp.it/ewdwdxp0
>>
>>24798349
Artist really is the field that suits the robot mentality best, however few of us will be artists. I don't think you can choose to be an artist, I think real artists are made.
>>
I tried art and it got too depressing I got too serious about it... But I was pretty much on track... I run into some gallery owners around town and they always ask if I'm making work... Had some work in museums and galleries and stuff. But idk I can't paint anymore the art world is so depressing to me.

Now I'm starting a band lol x_X let's see how that goes.
>>
>>24798394
>https://clyp.it/ewdwdxp0
that's dope, man. me or anyone else could easily free-style over that. Maybe you should start a duo and produce for an up and coming rapper or something.

Find someone who gets what you're about. whatever, what do i know?
>>
>>24798349
P O V E R T Y
>>
Making a living as a fine artist is semi-impossible. Most people who are doing it where born into wealth. Sorry to burst your bubble.
>>
>>24798533
Not as a pianist it's not. You can make a decent living if you're good at playing keys.

And I think the key to being an artist in this day and age is to be able to produce a large quantity of work with little/no overhead, like Andy Warhol did with screen printing.
>>
File: 1447708874802.jpg (367 KB, 599x900) Image search: [Google]
1447708874802.jpg
367 KB, 599x900
i'll be competing against other assclowns trying the same thing. besides i'm not even legit intelligent so I can't create some complex alter-ego character explaining he's some metaphor for some contemporary bullshit. i don't even know what i typed but it sounds smart.
>>
>>24798533
This.
My uncle is a brilliant painter but he had to work most of his life to sustain himself despite his talent. Unless you've already gotten a good bit of publicity you will suffer, there isn't a strong public out there consuming art.
>>
I am a artist.

>tfw have sold a painting for 100$

I AM ALMOST THERE
>>
I have hand tremors and I'm far past the age where I could learn a complex skill like music. It's not like I have anything worth expressing either. I would rather just appreciate what others have made
>>
>>24798694
The public consumes art almost constantly, but it's more and more becoming digital or television oriented. You hear music all day, don't you?
>>
>>24798760
Music is the only art form that is consumed daily
>>
In a band here but its falling apart. Experienced mild success, but its quite difficult to make a living out of it full time. One has to have another job to survive.
>>
>>24798760
>implying mass media in the 21st century allows originality

How many paintings and sculptures do you own? How many musical scores have you bought in your life? Do you actually think any guy out there with some artistic talent can simply go and earn a living? There's no one consuming this stuff anymore.
>>
File: spokkygost.png (102 KB, 372x470) Image search: [Google]
spokkygost.png
102 KB, 372x470
>>24798935
I have bought quite a few scores, but they are only relevant to me because I am a pianist. I'm just saying, look what's popular.

Radio pop is trash, most TV is trash, most movies are trash. Since we started recording art, it has been a total timesink trying to come up with anything original. The final product is hardly ever relevant, and certainly not worth the time it took to create. So the money in art is not in the final product, but in the entertainment value.

I think video games are definitely going to be looked at like works of art in the future. Think about it; how much enjoyment does the average person glean from looking at a painting when there's so much else that grabs your attention? You don't spend all day thinking about a painting, you chomp at the bit waiting to play Fallout.

You can't tell me that mass media is not art. The money is in, and has always been in performing art, which is what acting is.

>>24798929
bands are difficult because you have to split the check three/four/five ways. These days playing in a bar will not make you enough, you have to be able to teach as well.

I have also made decent money busking alone in the past, just dress funny, play sweetly, and empty your can/case/hat every once in awhile so it looks like you need it. Not all the way, because then people assume you aren't getting money for a reason. You'll also definitely get your money stolen at some point, but at least the money you make is yours and yours alone.
>>
>>24799468
>The money is in, and has always been in performing art, which is what acting is.
$ aint there either.

Look some people make a living laying basketball, but that don't mean the odds aren't abysmal.

'Artist' is a meme used to sell disenfranchised kids worthless degrees and to extort cheap labor from them.
>>
trying to learn metal guitar so can be angrychad

metal is fuqn hard m8
>>
>>24799567
Okay you got me there, acting is not "where the money is."

>make a living laying basketball, but that don't mean the odds aren't abysmal

You can coach basketball and make a living, that's still making your living in the world of sports.

>'Artist' is a meme

Back to basketball. As a coach, are you an athlete? Maybe not. But you still make money doing what you love to do.

Making a living as a performer is certainly possible, through performing AND teaching. Even Mozart had to take students to keep from going bankrupt.

Making bank is much less likely, but still possible if you are talented, patient, and lucky. Many people have done it, and will continue to do it for a very long time.
>>
Thinking about making music again. I made some boring ambient shit, but I'm thinking of borrowing my sister's guitar and making some eerie, amateurish pop music like Dean Blunt does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQs6RkzNlLY
>>
>tfw love films and music
>fantasize about dedicating life to art
>staying on path to wagekuckery because I want to have money
this world is killing me
>>
I'm not good at either one and I don't care enough to try
>>
Warhol is garbage.
>>
>>24799874
Warhol sold himself, not his art. That was the whole, "thing."
>>
I would rather be called a mouth breating retard than an artist.
>>
>>24799750
Teaching 'art' is pleb-tier wagekekery
>>
File: 2603403_1443156387866.jpg (53 KB, 480x653) Image search: [Google]
2603403_1443156387866.jpg
53 KB, 480x653
>>24798349
>Why not become an artist or musician,
Should i try?? Lmao im already fucking poor to begin with.
>>
>>24798349
I don't like music.

but an artist maybe though I'm not really creative in that sense either.
>>
File: 1439326834595.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1439326834595.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>24799935
You don't teach someone how to be an artist. You teach them the related technical skills. The ones who go on to make that their occupation become artists.

Also, I believe you are thinking of public school art teachers. Someone with a doctorate in Music can charge $100 an hour for lessons, and that's for the ones who graduated from state schools. And art educators at the college level make a pretty fucking penny.
>>
File: 47511111_p0_master1200.jpg (509 KB, 480x679) Image search: [Google]
47511111_p0_master1200.jpg
509 KB, 480x679
>>24799750
>You can coach basketball and make a living, that's still making your living in the world of sports.
Stop.
Stop encouraging shitty artists to make a living by teaching because their art sucks and they still want to force their way through. I spent so much money trying out different studios and classes only to find out that they suck. Leave the teaching to people who are actually GOOD and WANT to teach.

>>24800016
My childhood mangaka dreams disappeared when i was 18
>>
>>24800093
I'm replying to his point about people making money playing ball and saying you don't have to be on the field to be making money. I have had some shitty coaches, believe me. It's certainly not for everyone.
>>
File: IMAG3980.jpg (991 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3980.jpg
991 KB, 2688x1520
>>24800093
Third one of my shitty paintings, ok this one is just a doodle, they all are worth probably $0 (buuuuuuttt they are worth my sweat and blood so that's ok!)
>>
>>24800159
looks like a genuine Hitler
>>
>>24799935
Sorry, but this tbqhf
>>
>>24798349
>pass off your autism off as being "eccentric"
>pass off your autism
you can't do this, it's impossible, everyone you ever speak to will know the moment you open your mouth that you are autistic, maybe even before you say anything. There is nothing you can do about it, it has no redeeming qualities, there is no way out.
>>
>>24800080

Spot-on, bro. Alan Watts said himself "There is no prescription and no infallible technique for teaching anybody music. Technique is the only thing you can teach. Sure, there's a technique you can learn how to read, you can learn to put your fingers on the banjo or something...but the real thing, what to do with that technique, what to say with it...you can't teach that"

And how right he is. Just because someone can pick-up a guitar, and have a fairly sound understanding of it, has the basic dexterity to play it etc.doesn't mean they'll be able to create anything.
>>
>>24800218
If it is your main profession, then yeah. But I mean come on.

As a musician especially, teaching just comes with the turf. You may get paid $200 for an hour and a half of work, but unless you're a huge rock star you can't rely on those types of jobs. As an artist your streams of revenue can vary over time. No matter what level you're at, teaching provides a welcome, and most importantly CONSISTENT source of supplemental income.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.