[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What emotion motivates you the most? Hatred, love, fear?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: 1383721156557.jpg (32 KB, 558x480) Image search: [Google]
1383721156557.jpg
32 KB, 558x480
What emotion motivates you the most?
Hatred, love, fear?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GE4Uh5C9YI
>>
>>24795613
Fear number 1 hate second and love 3th
>>
Fear of being judged, criticized, or otherwise being seen as lesser
>>
Spite. Nothing feels better than success after someone gives you shit.
>>
Desire for justice. To expose people who lie to me and about me, hypocrites, populists who hurt good people by redefining virtue or equating it with vice.
>>
>>24796481
You reek of someone trying to make their own social failure a virtue. No one wants to have sex with, drink, or hang out with you.

It's your fault, not theirs
>>
>>24796517
No. I am talking about things such as redefining 'awareness' or 'enlightenment' as concessions to the effect of 'I understand that I can always be wrong', Christian 'whoever is without sin' or Buddhist 'suffering is in the mind of the sufferer', or Buddhist 'it is illogical to have futile arguments'. This is only a couple out of thousands of examples.
>>
Probably curiosity. My mind is always moving. It's too fast for me and I'm always preoccupied in thought because of it. My life is a bit of rinse and repeat here lately but I don't mind. I wake up go to work. But something is going on. Maybe it's something to do with my mental state. It's not bad or anything. I think I'm on the brink of something. Like creativity is about to bust right of me but it's still a crack in the dam at the moment.
>>
Unfortunately, nothing is quite enough to motivate me.

The paralyzing fear of growing old, having no friends, no achievements, having absolutely nothing to show for the decades I have been alive is probably my best bet to get motivated. But, in my heart of hearts, I think I have already given up. Sucks to have a weak spirit.
>>
Sometimes I have these bursts of creativity but I haven't had one of these bursts in a while. I'm not sure what emotion that would even be called.
>>
Indifference. I don't think that's an emotion though.

Regret
>>
>>24796850
Sometimes I can force myself into a mode of indifference in order to do something that scares me in the traditional sense. Like jumping off of something.
>>
>>24795613
>emotion motivates

"Do not let your spirit be influenced by your body, nor your body be influenced by your spirit" - Miyamoto Musashi.
>>
>>24796670

Same exact feeling
>>
>>24797026
"Do not let your spirit be influenced by your body, nor your body be influenced by your spirit, nor your sense of things' urgency by complacency-effecting Buddhist platitudes" - me.
>>
File: 151.jpg (21 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
151.jpg
21 KB, 600x500
laziness and horny
>>
>>24795613
cold, foggy absent-mindedness and boiling anger.
>>
>>24795613
Hatred, as it's the one I most have access right now.
>>
>>24796797
Hm, me too. Happens about once or twice a year for me. Its brilliant while it lasts. Not sure what's causing it.
>>
>>24797084
If you think there is something urgent to talk about, then why aren't you talking about it?
>>
>>24795613
Anger. When channeled correctly it's extremely powerful.
>>
>>24797188
I had it for a week when I was on a new medication. I was pumping out OC left and right all day every day

Felt nice
>>
>>24797206
Don't deflect. (Ha.) The Buddhist tautology you cited leads people into self-absorption, being uselessly preoccupied with monitoring one's own thoughts and feelings, as well as decreases their sense of immediacy of their prior goals (desire).

Tip: the lie that 'this is not what it means', which you've already begun to type, is not relevant.
>>
>>24795613
>being motivated
>2016 minus one month
>>
>>24795857
>>24796429
>>24796481
>>24797108
>>24797188
>>24797230
you lads need to calm down
>>
>>24795613
i wish it would be hatred,
but i think its fears
>>
>>24795613
Ha!
Nothing motivates me.
I guess it would be hatred.
>>
>>24797301
>The Buddhist tautology you cited leads people into self-absorption

The quote is about not letting your body influence your mood and vice versa.

>being uselessly

Not useless if it has a use.

>preoccupied with monitoring one's own thoughts and feelings

I believe it is called self-reflection.

>as well as decreases their sense of immediacy of their prior goals(desire)

self-control?
>>
>>24795613
Fear, definitely. Sheer, unbridled terror of failure keeps me going.
>>
>>24797436
>The quote is about not letting your body influence your mood and vice versa.

*pat pat*

You should realize that tautologies, 'don't let your thoughts/emotions/desire/ego/self/ambition/grandma/cat excessively control you', tautological by vice of the word 'excessively' and therefore, as designed, superficially perfectly apologizable ('you can't disagree with that -- what, do you want to be ruled by excessive emotions?!'), can, and WILL, and ARE used to, still impair the listener through exposure to them, through, as explained, derailing one's thinking into self-absorption (preoccupation with observing one's own reactions), while the Buddhist tautologist will safely, with impunity disclaim all responsibility for the impairment wrought with 'oh, he didn't listen to the "in moderation" bit, he should have understood the implied fact that it is just a broad guideline, that you shouldn't let self-control stifle the spontaneity of your reactions and thoughts, he just misunderstood, not my fault'.

You should. But you won't. Keep being a useful idiot.
>>
Apathy > Fear > Guilt > Awe > Spite

Music is pretty good for energy/inspiring awe although then I usually end up day dreaming rather than actually doing things.
>>
>>24795613
Fear of broken pride. Fear of failure. Fear that I won't live up to the expectations I set for myself. Hatred of the world around me and the state it has put me in. Hatred of this fucked world and its degenerate residents.
>>
>>24795613
Burning white hatred.... especially for niggers, spics, and other muds
>>
>>24795613
i guess id say fear, but not in the frightening sense. i guess it's more of a logical approach, like "if i dont pass this class and get my degree and go on and get a good job im not gonna be happy"
>>
>>24797666
This is a case of you not understanding what he is talking about.

He talks about warfare. And there is nothing tautological about it at all. I doubt you understand what that word means seeing as you misuse you it constantly.
>>
The pill that I'm on killed my emotions for the most part, but this apathy is actually pretty motivating. I just move forward in life knowing that it'll be really hard for something to phase me emotionally.
>>
>>24797792
>And there is nothing tautological about it at all.

'Don't let your actions be affected by factors your actions should not be affected by.'

I'm sorry you have problems with elementary abstraction, anon.
>>
>>24797812
And if further still formalization is needed, which is likely:

(the set of factors you should disregard)
=
(the set of factors that are to be disregarded)

x = x.
>>
>>24797812
Mood and body are two seperate concepts, they are not defined by idea that you shouldn't let one influence the other. Understanding distinction is important in dangerous situations.
>>
>>24795613
Love

Probably the will to be ironic more than anything.
>>
>>24797910
What?

You're literally saying nothing.

The worthlessness of that Buddhist cliche is evident to everyone who isn't an aplogist. Another form of the tautology of >>24797026 is 'there should be nothing that clouds your judgement'. Again, tautological because 'there should be' means 'is good' and 'clouds' means 'is bad', so the result is 'with respect to judgement, what is not bad is good'. You might be under the impression that purported contextualization of the quote to the mind/judgement/whatever makes it not tautological. This is clearly false. Just as well, one could say 'with respect to cats, what is not bad is good'.

Just leave the thread, you clearly have no grasp on either what you're reading or what you're writing.
>>
>>24795613
Smugness

I love the feeling of smugness
>>
>>24798049
Oh, and, that there in fact are two subtautologies, 'with respect to the body, all...' and 'with respect to the soul, all...' changes nothing either.
>>
apathy, though i don't know why
>>
>>24798049
cutting edge
>>
Fear of being a forever alone NEET for the rest of my life is a pretty powerful motivator
>>
>>24798049
>You're literally saying nothing.

I believe this accusation fits itself.

>There should be' means 'is good' and 'clouds' means 'is bad'

Wrong. It is the equivalent of a construction manual. It is to be seen as an explanation, not as a data sheet to do autistic math on.

>Just leave the thread, you clearly have no grasp on either what you're reading or what you're writing.

ooga booga monkey man angry
>>
>>24797677
apathy means you feel nothing you fucking idiot
>>
>>24798240
ok then
Fear > Guilt > Awe > Spite
>>
>>24798226
>It is to be seen as an explanation, not as a data sheet to do autistic math on

'B-b-but it makes practical sense!!!'

The cop-out of religious people since the dawn of the species. 'Hearing it makes people motivated, so it is not gibberish on SOME level' -- namely, degeneration of the criterion of making sense to the level of effecting a change in the listener (whereby just kicking someone in the ass could be considered 'meaningful', which is in fact what many Buddhist 'teachers' nearly debase themselves to routinely). Except this caims fails at this last-ditch 'practical meaning' as well, because, as explained, it is going to make people dumbly self-absorbed.

>Buddhists
>>
>>24798275
im ok with that
>>
>>24798313
>this caims fails
*this claim
>>
>>24798330
Perfect
Fear > Guilt > Awe > Spite > Apathy
>>
I'm driven by fear but only to a wasted life.
>>
>>24798313
The book is about sword fighting, it's not religious scripture.

Calling it self-absorbed is simply a cop-out to avoid acknowledging that you lack (and quite obviously) self-reflection.

Trying to get yourself some public identity, down-right pathetic to be frank. You couldn't keep your house of nonsense together even if you tried. 0:6.
>>
>>24798443
>The book is about sword fighting, it's not religious scripture.

Already addressed the irrelevance of this.

>you lack (and quite obviously) self-reflection

I have been crippled by 'meditative' Buddhist 'mindfulness' for years. I can barely make a motion or pass a person without my brain incapacitating itself by noticing it, thus making any self-reflection impossible. So on that count, you are right. If I had never heard of 'meditation' or Buddhism, I would be more self-reflective, definitely.
>>
>>24798443
Also.

>he proves me wrong
>this means he lacks self-reflection!
>>
>>24798513
Okay so it's irrelevant because it people might misunderstand it. and people are not responsible for their own understanding because they do not have free will except when they choose to be good like me and deny responsibility or choose to be bad and tell people they have the capacity to change themselves. and it's tautology because words themselves are mere shapes. when i use statistics, algebra, geometry, ect it's not tautological though. it's "scientific".

how do you like my you impression?
>>
>>24798801
>people are not responsible for their own understanding because they do not have free will

It is immoral to obscure the potential of one's claim to impair others and justify it with 'they had the free will/intellect to deduce it, they just chose not to'. Description of consequences should be complete.

>choose to be bad and tell people they have the capacity to change themselves

This kind of motivation is made immoral by the fact that it impairs progress while they are equally potent alternatives.

>it's tautology because words themselves are mere shapes

No, it is a tautology because of the structure, premise equalling conclusion, definiens equalling definiendum, and so on.
>>
File: 1447373443393.jpg (616 KB, 1790x1559) Image search: [Google]
1447373443393.jpg
616 KB, 1790x1559
I'm not sure.

What motivates me the most might be sadness. I find misery beautiful and fulfilling.

I look at everything in this world and try to fit it into this jigsaw puzzle I'm building in my brain. I associate everything that i see / hear / touch / experience with emotions and if they resonate with my misery in a beautiful way then they fulfill me and become a fond memory/feeling that I wish to experience again.

So far the most fulfilling things I have found are nature, weather, music, fantasy and nostalgia. I thrive on aesthetic. You could call me the lowest form of existence.
>>
>>24798891
Your pursuit of beauty makes you beautiful yourself, anon.
>>
>>24795613
Apathy.

Pleasure?

I don't do much.
>>
>>24798878
>It is immoral to

immoral implies choice. choice implies free will.

>is made immoral by the fact that it impairs progress

spoken like a true religious demagoge.

>premise equalling conclusion

What is the premise and what is the conclusion? Go ahead and demonstrate it.
>>
>>24798801
>it's irrelevant because it people might misunderstand it

Also no, it is irrelevant because, as explained, contextual qualification of a tautology doesn't change its structure.

You really should choose the straws to grasp on less randomly, anon.
>>
>>24798979
i don't see where you have explained why it's tautology.
>>
>>24798978
>immoral implies choice. choice implies free will.

No. Choice implies will. Just will. Not free will.

Morality doesn't need free will to exist.

>spoken like a true religious demagoge.

Belief in free will impairs progress because it leads people to locate the origin of their successes and failures in themselves as opposed to nature and nurture, to the effect of less (impeti to) (another- and self-)understanding.

>What is the premise and what is the conclusion? Go ahead and demonstrate it.

It is not a reasoning. But identity of the defining and the defined I explained in two separate posts.

I understand that it is stimulating to you, anon, this discussion; if only you applied yourself correspondingly.
>>
>>24799070
>in two separate posts

Correction: three. Forgot about >>24798137.
>>
>>24799070
>No. Choice implies will. Just will. Not free will.

No. Will refers to your want(s). A dog can will something. Get an impulse to do something and follow through on it. What a dog cannot do is not bite you when you step on its tail. Because it's will is not free.

>Belief in free will impairs progress because it leads people to locate the origin of their successes and failures in themselves as opposed to nature and nurture,

Not really. It's just you who is making this distinction. People by instinct prefer to place responsibility on circumstance rather than themselves. but they still believe that they are making choices.

>It is not a reasoning

What the premise/ conclusion in that specific example, ie. my quote. It is the criteria you picked yourself, so show me how this similarity between premise and conclusion.

unless it was all hot air.
>>
>>24799218
>A dog can will something. Get an impulse to do something and follow through on it. What a dog cannot do is not bite you when you step on its tail. Because it's will is not free.

And you think your thought to act in spite of a first impulse defies causation? I forgot I am talking at a Buddhist.

>People by instinct prefer to place responsibility on circumstance rather than themselves.

Some people, yes. Those people are occupied with studying the way in which being told or made or shown things determines one's future choices. We call those people scientists.

>unless it was all hot air.

I see you are trying for the good old Buddhist 'let's lead him to refuse to provide the explanation for the fourth time and then tell him he is evading'.
>>
>>24799364
Does reality defy causation? As the real defies the abstract?

>Some people, yes.

All people. That's what excuses are. One of the behavioral marks of a philosopher is that they let actions speak.

>I see you

I see you

>refuse to provide the explanation
>>
>>24795613
fear is the path to the darkside
>>
>>24799465
>Does reality defy causation? As the real defies the abstract?

You are speaking nonsense. There is nothing to reply to; the only thing for me to do is to explain the whole subject until you understand. And I've done that scores of times (explained, that is; not been understood).

A thought to act in spite of an impulse has the nature of an impulse as well. It is an involuntary reaction to recognition of the pattern of an impulsive, involuntary desire in one (e.g. to step on a dog's tail), it is having the idea to counteract it (for any reason). It is not free. This phenomenon is not a 'self-obvious' proof re. free will; it is a non sequitur.

>One of the behavioral marks of a philosopher is that they let actions speak.

Of course 'actions speak', just like 'trees speak'. How is this relevant?

>That's what excuses are.

No. You are confusing harbouring resentment or expectations towards one's environment with identification of it as the cause of one's condition. A common misconception, a false implication to further hurt moral people who reject free will.

I'm tired, anon.
>>
>>24799465
Also, again, I know you want the final word, the final post, so to face late readers of this thread with an unreplied-to accusation that I 'avoid questions' which I have replied to many times. So... go on. Make it again. I won't reply to it.
>>
>>24799673
>You are speaking nonsense

>It is an involuntary

And at what point does something become voluntary? It is when you have a choice. A choice involves thoughts and you have just decided that they are involuntary,which would mean that you do not have a choice.

ergo no morality for you(or for anyone in your opinion) is possible.

>How is this relevant?

I am simply trying to let you know that the "moral" behavior you advocate is what humans do by instinct. Making excuses. Shifting responsibility.

Everything happened in this linear progression from abstract to abstract to abstract. That is the undisputable scientific truth.

>You are confusing harbouring resentment or expectations towards one's environment with identification of it as the cause of one's condition.

No. The definition of an excuse is quite clear.
>>
and i hope you atleast read my response. even if you don't respond. i wrote it just for you i didn't write it for nobody else.
>>
File: 1377499900780.jpg (71 KB, 680x765) Image search: [Google]
1377499900780.jpg
71 KB, 680x765
the only emotions I can ever feel in capacity are anger and humor
>>
>>24799926
>And at what point does something become voluntary? It is when you have a choice.

Another non sequitur. No. Choices happen all the time, and none of them is voluntary (acausal). Choices are just involuntary formation of the structure of a choice (outcome1, judgement1, outcome 2, judgement2, ..., outcomen, judgementn, eventual decision) in consciousness. They are determined.

>no morality for you(or for anyone in your opinion) is possible

Morality refers to things such as desiring harm or lying. Involuntary choices resolved to do that are still immoral. Determined behaviour is still (im)moral.

>[...] what humans do by instinct. Making excuses. Shifting responsibility.

Your thinking is so (incredibly, I almost said, but then I again remembered that you are a Buddhist), it is so conflated, it is, again, impossible to talk to. Again, a true statement, that e.g. my current condition in life has been caused by, for instance, my parents or school, is neither moral or immoral. How can acknowledging a mere fact be immoral? You need to uncouple those two ideas, that of acknowledging a cause and that of (sensation or statement of) blame. You won't, of course. Being a Buddhist, you will continue calling the responsible, mature position of blaming no one for one's failures irresponsible.

It is really late and I am really tired.
>>
long stretches of apathy

Occasionally there are moments were I get really emotional and feel the urge to call family or friends to make everything right again but If I don't do it fast enough I miss the opportunity. It doesn't feel right to let them know that I care about them if it isn't genuine and if the feeling isn't there they can tell. I wish I could have heart to heart talks without having to wait for the right moment or without getting drunk first.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.