[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How are stock jobs, fellow wage slaves? I work in the front
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
How are stock jobs, fellow wage slaves?

I work in the front end of a grocery normally but tonight I did some stocking for overtime and it wasn't too bad, but I couldn't see my body being able to put up with it for 8 hours a day. Do I just have to get used to it and will it get better? I'd consider switching departments because I'm getting bored of doing cashier and bagging.

Cons of this job I found in my 4 hours of doing it:

>customers asking for assistance and rude customers
>physical demand
>the repetitiveness will make me miserable
>overnight the store would be practically empty and soul crushingly lonely, despite being socially awkward

pros

>easy
>satisfies my OCD by making the shelves look nice
>not as bad as bagging large carts full of junk
>>
>>24774044
stocking is pretty shit, I worked overnights for a few months and quit because it was pretty shit.
>>
>>24774310
well apparently so. the turnover rate is so high and they need people to work stock very badly. I have a pretty good idea why they quit though, the job is terrible
>>
>>24774310

How much was the pay? Merchandiser sucks as well but pays well enough to stick it out until something better
>>
>>24774406
I got 10.75 an hr
>>
>>24774355
>high turnover rate
>want to try stocking shelves cuz socially awkward NEET
>apply to ~5-6 stores
>never get called for an interview
>>
>bagging
Is there a more useless job? I always get annoyed when I see one of these fucks ready to grab my shit. Like, fuck off from my stuff man
>>
File: biden.png (34 KB, 106x124) Image search: [Google]
biden.png
34 KB, 106x124
>>24774453
Look for big grocery stores or retailers in wealthy areas. They always need people because nobody with money wants to work in retail.

Retail stores in poor (including "middle class") areas are always full staffed.

>>24774473
Customers don't want to bag their carts with shit filled to the top. Customers also don't know how to bag properly, mixing the meats, meats with produce, etc. shit and risking cross contamination. Most customers are also terrible at organization, but so are most baggers but I bag stuff neatly. It just may take a MINUTE more at most but it will look prettier and be more organized.
>>
>12 hrs night shift
>overseeing 4 front ends (cooked/raw meat and cooked/raw fish) and 3 shelves
>literally million things to do, have to merchandise and check every single fucking thing for spoilage, check exp dates, overall several thousand items to check & restock etc on top of having to melt half a ton of ice with a shitty hose that rarely gives hot water and then dragging fresh one across the hall
>by the end of the shift can barely keep myself standing
>day shift faggot comes in and start bitching to the boss that I didn't clean the counter properly
>have to supress growing desire to kill self and everyone around
>limping back home
Dont work retail kids
>>
>>24774571
>Customers also don't know how to bag properly, mixing the meats, meats with produce, etc. shit and risking cross contamination.

They deserve to die
>>
File: 1383860099763.jpg (95 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1383860099763.jpg
95 KB, 640x427
>>24774623
It hurts my soul when people get buttflustered of how "slow" I am bagging but in reality I am being careful with their groceries and trying to protect them from diseases.

One guy asked the cashier if I was "slow" one night. People also start taking shit from the bagging area and tossing it in other bags, ruining my organization. It just depends on the customer, some of them are very nice and appreciate good bagging and will thank you for it and always come to your lane and some people are completely ignorant and/or rude.
>>
I did overnight stocking at a non-24hr Wal-Mart for 1.5 years. I specifically worked in the dry foods department. Although, some nights i would work toys, electronics, or stationary.
The work is repetitive, but it just becomes muscle memory after a bit. I would bring in headphones and listen to music or audiobooks. I kept the setting on low and there wasn't a problem ever with it.

I set short-term goals to keep my sanity; i had maybr 4 pallets a night. The first 2 hours were spent sorting the pallets and dropping their boxes near the items on the shelf. I would get them finished by 4am each night, then spend the next 2 hours cleaning, zoning, and helping other departments.

I dealt with customers for about 2 hours a day. Most people at that hour were okay and we were glad to help them, because it was a break from stocking pasta bags.

The pay is usually better than most other positions. I remember there was an opening for Electronics dept manager, but the pay increase was only $0.10/hr more than nights. Didnt seem worth it imo.

Your health will suffer. Our bodies aren't really designed to be nocturnal. After that 1.5 year stint, i felt i had aged 5 years; my youthful skin was wrecked. You'll feel shitty driving home at dawn every night. Being social will be nigh impossible thanks to your awful hours.
>>
>>24774571
not gonna lie, when i bagged back in the day i would lose my shit if customers tried to help

NIGGER WHY ARE YOU PUTTING HAMBURGER ONTOP OF YOUR GRAPES
>>
>>24774697
It'd be a good first job for robots. If you have a great work ethic but just poor social skills management will notice and like you. You may need to talk to get hired but management will judge you by your work ethic much more than whether you are a high school Chad tier talkative person.
>>
File: kkk.png (126 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
kkk.png
126 KB, 268x265
>>24774774
It's also pretty bad when a coworker comes over to help and completely fucks up your organization and system.
>>
>physical demand
With restocking? Lel
I actually love warehouse jobs because they are physically demanding unlike retail faggotry. Unloading 600 40kg+ boxes and then packing them on pallets is so draining your mind shuts down and shift flies by.
>>
>>24774873
The knees and back start to ache.
>>
File: 1449233829229.jpg (129 KB, 645x600) Image search: [Google]
1449233829229.jpg
129 KB, 645x600
>>24774873
have fun dying at 40 when your body is all broken, wageslave.
>>
>>24774993
>>24775004

Lifting weights virtually stopped it for me(not that guy, but do manual labor)
>>
>>24775025
I'm skinny enough to have visible abs and my calfs are strong as fuck but my back aches too easily.

Bending over the sink to brush my teeth makes my back sore.
>>
>>24775004
I have dudes in their 50s working with me, they seem fine
>>
>>24775025
there's a difference between lifting for fun and forced labor , try it, you'll see.
>>
File: 3432543265.png (103 KB, 1437x908) Image search: [Google]
3432543265.png
103 KB, 1437x908
>>24775069
they are dead inside.
>>
>>24775071

I do manual labor for a living & I lift weights after work, works the body in different ways, but it helps each activity
>>
File: espn.jpg (31 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
espn.jpg
31 KB, 177x278
>>24774044
One good thing working retail is that you get to see women with revealing clothes all the time, especially women with big ol' butts in leggings or tight jeans all the time.

It helps increase your mood a little bit.
>>
>>24775144
bump for a nice thread
>>
>>24775144
>mfw i work at a discount grocery store so the only people i ever see are poor white trash and the elderly
>>
File: 20151205_232242.png (2 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
20151205_232242.png
2 MB, 1632x1224
>>24774044
Unless youre managment back end jobs suck. Front end lets you joke around with people. If youre a sperf that hates human interaction though or have a shot at supervisor go back end.
>>
>>24775069

>seem fine

They already had their hernias.

Dont worry, yours is coming. Most common injury in that line of work. Itll happen one rough day when you get worn out and dont use your legs to lift (if you even do to begin with)
>>
>>24775998
I work in a premium class store and I constantly have to deal with faggots who think you're supposed to be their servant
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.