[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the purpose of life, robots?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 14
File: sinners.jpg (256 KB, 650x769) Image search: [Google]
sinners.jpg
256 KB, 650x769
What is the purpose of life, robots?
>>
attainment of pleasure.
>>
>>24734987

No you dumb cruciferous slut
>>
>>24734948
Life has no inherent value. If it did then boredom would not pervade our existence when we have attained something
>>
lessening pain
>>
>>24735018
Life by definition has a fundamental goal: reproduction. Every pleasure-reward system in your Brain literally aims towards this.
>>
>>24734948
Eat
Sleep
Fuck
Repeat
>>
There is no purpose to behaviour, just reason behind it.
>>
File: 1438522994969.jpg (103 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1438522994969.jpg
103 KB, 800x450
There is none

Unless you're stupid, then God
>>
>>24734948
Life = suffering. So the only meaning there could possibly be to it is making it easier for everyone around you, even if it isn't always the best thing for yourself.
>>
>>24735129
Suffering in life is just another way to describe the environmental impacts on living beings. Less suffering means you are better adapted to your environment.
>>
>>24735205
Yeah, looks like I took the question a little too personally.
If what you're really asking is "what good is this race for constant improvement?", I don't have an answer for you and I strongly suggest you stop worrying about it if you don't want to end up with a whole lot of anxiety
>>
>>24735129
Any successful person will tell you making things easier for yourself even if it isn't always the best thing for others is the correct answer
>>
Do you believe in god?
I don't mean the bearded man in the sky idea. I mean god.
You know how people say 'god is good'? Well, 'he' is. Quite literally god is just the highest standard of pure good that a human can try and attain.

Its your goal to try and live a life as close to god as you can.
Worldly things like money, sex, entertainment, its all irrelevant and simply a distraction from the immortal concepts that make up god.

From a teenaged fedora style internet atheist it took my a long time to get to this viewpoint.
It isn't an easy life to live. It requires detachment from almost everything you know.
The authors you like, the music, the video games, the movies, everything - its all distractions from what is really important.
In a world that has become more about these things than ever, you will find only total alienation from most people.

When the bible (though the old testament is mostly a book of legends and lineages, and desert tribes calling their idols 'god') says we are made in gods image, it refers to our conciousness.

There isn't an afterlife in the sense of your conciousness going to a new place where you will have new experiences, but there is a recognition that you exist as a timeless being, a part of god and the earth.

So as cheesy as it is, the purpose of life is to as much good as you can and to try your best to understand god in the limited time we have on earth.
Its liberating in a sense. You don't need the adoration and love of women, you don't need to be famous, you don't need to drive fast cars and have wild parties.
Why would I want those things when they are only distractions from god?
Some people might look at that and think, 'thats lame, what a loser', but they're missing the whole point that 'lameness' and 'losers' aren't real. They are worldly concepts.
>>
i want to become a kungfu master
>>
>>24735263
It hurts to see people try to use anything related to religion to make arguments.
>>
File: 1445528219378.gif (392 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
1445528219378.gif
392 KB, 600x396
>>24735112
this

purpose implys somone made the universe

Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction -> Raction -> Reaction ->

if your not /absolutedeterminism/ then fuck off
>>
>>24735291
I don't think you really understand what my idea of god is.
It can be as secular as a natural group of behaviours that help the people around you exist as easily as possible without suffering

i have no clue what the origins of god are
>>
>>24735238
No I am not asking for the why, its futile to ask questions of these nature. Understanding the how is a much more interesting topic to me.
>>
>>24735263
can you prove any of that
>>
>>24735302
Purpose is about comprehending what reaction X does to thing Y. There is no need for a creator to have any meaning.
>>
All life is result of chemical reactions.
We are all stupid apes.
Just try not to kill anyone and make lots of babies that survive to make their own babies.
>>
>>24735314
I believe you and feel the pretty much the same way.
But I also feel like I must become strong & skilled in combat along with being loving & compassionate. Because I don't think we're going to survive the coming days without it.
I've been on that road for a while and there's a bunch of reading material to soak in. Good luck.
>>
You make your own meaning!

Motherfucker, that means ANYTHING!

Jesus aren't you excited already?
>>
>>24735420
Government should take care of that.
Sieg heil
>>
>>24735339
What would proof be?
An ancient undiscovered text saying the same thing?

For what its worth I think most religions have basically the same concept. Forgoe what is not important, focus on what is important, do the right thing morally.
Its something you have to choose to believe to live a satisfying life. Choosing to believe it doesnt grant you access into an eternal party in heaven.
>>
>>24735349
what, i dont get it. give a real world example
>>
>>24735419
can you share some things I should read?
>>
>>24735458
A rain drop on earth will tend to fall down towards the ground. "I's meant to fall down" -> "Its purpose is to fall to the ground".

There is no need for a creator to describe tendencies/reations like these.
>>
Blowing loads in Cunny
>>
>>24735480
The Bible
Emerald Tablets
The keys of Enoch
Srimad Bhagavata
Bhagavad Gita
Dead Sea Scrolls
Books of the Dead
Flower of life by Drunvalo
Kybalion
Children of the matrix
Teachings of Babaji
Astronomy/Astrology/Quantum Physics
Gurus and Swamis
Chaos Theory

peace
>>
>>24735493
so in that logic is purpose = destiny
>>
>>24734987
No, otherwise any person capable of rational thought would have killed themselves.
>>
>>24735596

HahhahhahahahhahahahhahhHahahahhahahahahhaahhahahahahahhahhahahahhhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhaahhahha this is the most blue pilled thing ive ever seen man
>>
>>24735615
Even if you could argue the same for the word purpose, but destiny hast a huge spiritual touch to it. Purpose seems like a more technical term.
>>
>>24735629
sweet opinions bro
>>
>>24735596
>Astronomy/Astrology/Quantum Physics
>>
File: 1437356797577.jpg (846 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1437356797577.jpg
846 KB, 1600x1200
>>24735596
*tips my entire fedora collection*
>>
File: 1448991608055.jpg (391 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1448991608055.jpg
391 KB, 1280x1280
>>24735041
I knew something good happened in my mental state the first time I came inside a pussy without a condor

it changed me
I've became less depressed and more chillax
>>
>>24735661
Can be said about your random list, too.
>>
>>24734948
Biological activities
>>
>>24735263

Beautiful post and screencapped, anon.

I agree with most of what you said except that I believe the OT is a direct communication to an elect, and I believe in the resurrection of the dead.
>>
>>24735596
Mindless pretentiousness, the post
>>
>>24735041
what's the definition of life?
>>
>>24735896
Open a 5th grade biology book.
>>
>>24735865
>screencapped

He literally said nothing. 'Let's define God as goodness', 'let's tautologically care about what's important', 'we're all connected' no less. It's typical religious noise.
>>
>>24735896
>the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

There.
>b-b-but muh philosophy
>b-but my clever response
>>>/lit/
>>
>>24735918

I think what he's saying is that what matters isn't some sort of objective status or achievement, but this "searching out God", which we do through our moral choices and moral awareness, and also by attempting to understand his will. How is that saying nothing?
>>
>>24735947
As long as you formulate your sentences with the word god, nobody with a healthy mind will take you serious. Drop the nonsense and start talking about reality.
>>
>>24735982
Thats only your ego talking. Its not my fault if such a word offends you.
>>
>>24734948
Purpose of life in this world is to overcome it.

The purpose of our existence is to serve to God.
/thread
>>
>>24736002
They don't offend me, they are simple signals warning me from religious people.
>>
>>24735982

Perhaps you have negative associations attached to the term. What created you? How did you come to be here? How are you sustained? How is the universe you see around you sustained? Whatever the thing is that created and sustains reality, I call "God". Do you deny such a thing exists?
>>
>>24735947
>moral choices and moral awareness

People who talk about 'being moral' are usually the most immoral, in the sense they cut into lines, pass off jokes as their own, paraphrase others' words loosely, gossip, and so on. Talking about morality is a red flag.
>>
>>24734948
>Y-you mean good men die because...
Good men do not die naturally. They can only be killed by bad men.
>>
>>24736042
>What created you? How did you come to be here? How are you sustained? How is the universe you see around you sustained?

Those questions are too vague to have sense. Talk about physics and biology or not at all.
>>
>>24736046
You are correct. Which is why such a large part of judeo-christian religion is tbat we are very flawed and fallen people. We can know what is good and right and work against it for selfish reasons.
>>
>>24735922
you could probably make a robot fitting those criteria. would you consider such a robot to be alive?
>>
>>24736046

I don't understand this at all. The original poster who I'm attempting to paraphrase stated things in very non-jugemental terms, and so did I. As was made clear, it's about every person seeking God from THEIR OWN conditions. One of THE major themes of the Bible is that humans shouldn't dare to judge other humans morally.

I'd agree it's a big thing for Christians and many religious people to be judgemental and to use morality as a way of attacking others, but I'm not advocating that.

Just as an example, I was a meat eater a couple of years back, it took me about 3 years to really face up to things and change to being vegan. I feel like in some very small way I made my way closer to God through this. I think it's valuable.
>>
>>24736074
>We can know what is good and right and work against it for selfish reasons.
We work against them because we have no free will.
>>
File: comfy.jpg (6 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
6 KB, 224x224
>>24735263
Do people feel proud of themselves when they write an entire wall of text of their babby tier philosophy/politics? All that time writing that text being completely convinced that you're on some intellectual high ground.

I bet 60% of the posters in this thread are not baiting. And I bet that 40% of people here had just a tiny spark of doubt when they clicked the "Post" button right before shrugging it off with delusions of moral and intellectual superiority.

Everyone seems to forget that they're posting on a japanese cartoon image board when their beliefs are being even slightly questioned.
>>
>>24736101
Is it not a recipe for a good life, where people will only have good things to say about the man you were after you have passed?
>>
>>24736101
>I bet 60% of the posters in this thread are not baiting
Shouldn't be all so surprising when all major religions still have people worshiping some fictional action comic figure known as god.
>>
>>24736101
>inb4 10+ replies
>>
File: 1435375304006.jpg (20 KB, 412x352) Image search: [Google]
1435375304006.jpg
20 KB, 412x352
>>24736149
>the truth doesn't deserve replies.
>>
>>24736028
Almost all religious people have no idea. Churches are social clubs. All the people I have known who went to church were as obsessed with tbe wordly as all the secular people.
>>
>>24736090
>humans shouldn't dare to judge other humans morally

Reread this.

Then reread this again until it hits you what you just said.

Of course, it probably never will.
>>
File: floweroflife.jpg (182 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
floweroflife.jpg
182 KB, 1920x1080
So is this just bullshit?
>>
>>24736234
You think it doesnt make sense but it does. The instruction not to judge others in such a way doesnt come from a human mind.
>>
>>24736234

Just as an example (and my point here isn't that this statement is necessarily something you should take as pure revealed truth, because it's not necessary for you to believe that - this 'theme' on non-jugement is widespread in much spiritual literature from around the world):

"You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things." Romans 2:1

I saw another quote recently on some girl's blog about her her aunt used to tell her almost exactly the same thing, "When you point your finger at someone else, there's an invisible finger pointing right back at you".
>>
>>24736101
>I AM THE ONLY AWAKE PERSON IN A WORLD OF SHEEP

is this actually your reply?

okay, here is what is actually happening: they're posting this stuff because they're curious to see what other people will say back, not because they think they've developed a perfect explanation for the universe.

pretty sad that this needs to be explained to you. even sadder that you don't see the irony of writing all that garbage that you did, considering it's *exactly* what you accused other people of doing.
>>
>>24736205
>All the people I have known who went to church were as obsessed with tbe wordly as all the secular people
I was attending church from 5 to 12 until I went atheism. Yes, most people in there keep it secular, but why do they still keep indoctrinating their children with shitty fictional stories in the church courses for the communion?

I feel like going to church to motivate people to do good deeds can be beneficial for people who need things like these. I like the atmosphere in churches, especially if the pastor knows how to do his job properly.

The christian religion could be a good social club without the fictional stories you get told as a child.
>>
>>24736301
>you who pass judgment do the same things

Tu quoque is exclusively invoked by the guilty.

Obviously unjustly, too; the mere fact that everyone has wronged at one point doesn't make some people superior to others. In other words, 'look at yourself' is a cowardly evasion of scrutiny and responsibility.
>>
>>24736314
The fact that you fell for the bait proves his point perfectly. It's a clever bait.
>>
>>24736345
>doesn't make some people superior to others

*NOT superior to others, obviously; typo

Insofar as Jesus preached this, he was just an immoral populist who wanted to appeal to equally immoral plebs.
>>
>>24736369
Or are you falling for the double bait?
>>
>>24736345
>>24736372
Or, in other words, people who preach that 'everyone is guilty in his or her minor way', are in equalizing this way guilty of obscuring guilt and merit; want there to be no discussion of human quality at all. This is a common theme in all religions; it comes from empathy, from desire to silence justice.
>>
>>24736345

Actually this is a quote, attributed to the Apostle Paul, not Jesus.

It's not about evading scrutiny or responsibility, it's about the opposite. Paul is telling the elect not to judge other people, because they themselves do the same things. He isn't saying that everyone is as bad as everyone else.
>>
>>24736418
>t's not about evading scrutiny or responsibility

Rationalize your 'teachers'' immorality in whatever way makes you pray at night.
>>
>>24736386
>projecting
I think I've made my point here.
>>
>>24736372
'let he who is without sin throw the first stone' is meaningless to you?
>>
File: 1442280238390.png (319 KB, 480x461) Image search: [Google]
1442280238390.png
319 KB, 480x461
>religious nutjobs ruining your thread
>>
>>24736408
>>24736440

>it comes from empathy, from desire to silence justice.

I understand where you're coming from... but you have to understand that the people Paul was talking to apparently believed in the 'good news' that god would judge the world. This 'judgement' doesn't mean punishment, it just means judgement... You're coming at things from a worldly perspective of believing that 'justice' is something humans are ever capable of even really attempting in the absence of God.
>>
>>24736462
>can't prove someone wrong
>f-fucking religion tards!
HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
File: 1435246829573.jpg (47 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1435246829573.jpg
47 KB, 480x360
>>24736477
>bible
>proof
>>
>>24736450
It is not meaningless; it means what I explained in >>24736408, no more no less. The purpose of the delusion that 'true justice' is in God's/karma's/whatever's hands is a misguided sense of empathy, namely hatred to see the logical, wordly process of determining and punishing guilt such as lying, which makes empathetic people uncomfortable (someone gets hurt, and someone has hurt in the first place); so to obscure this unpleasant reality violating the just world fantasy, they focus people's attention to some magical 'ultimate judgement' in some non-existent realm.
>>
>>24736487
>fedora
>proof
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAH
>>
>>24736501
>wordly
*worldly

Plus, the preacher gets attention and wisdom points for 'seeing past the mundane reality of petty resentment', which, again, basically means that people who rightfully pursue justice are being labelled as small-minded. It is really repulsive.
>>
>>24736501
>>24736521
>>24736472

>taking this thread seriously
lmaoing at your life
>>
File: 1436797491415.png (31 KB, 243x289) Image search: [Google]
1436797491415.png
31 KB, 243x289
>>24736513
>unironically describes peer-reviewd science as fedora
>>
File: 1428701741654.gif (2 MB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
1428701741654.gif
2 MB, 450x254
You will be asked two questions in the afterlife.

Have you been happy?
Did you make others happy?

You will probably end up in some post-death soul refuse bin if you answer it incorrectly.

Unfortunately, I think most people on /r9k/ will go in the refuse.
>>
>>24736523
>>>24736501 (You)
>>>24736521 (You)
>>>24736472

I don't write for people I reply to, obviously. I don't even think whether they're baiters or not. I write to clarify my own thoughts; if some outside reader of this thread happens to agree, only the better.
>>
>>24736501

>Not realising that justice is impossible on Earth
>Not realising that the Pericope Adulterae, the very source the Christian anon is quoting, is known to be a fabrication
>Not realising the fabrication unintentionally exposese the underlying injustice of human attempts as "justice" because it depicts a whorish woman getting off scott free because a carpenter points out that others have done bad things
>Not realising that sentencing disparity between men and women is a real thing throughout the entire planet throughout all human history
>Hoping in human justice
>>
>>24736558
Nobody cares mate.
>>
>>24736521
There are limitations on being able to forgive sure - we still live in a society and we cant let murders, rapes, assualts etc take place, but you said it yourself, petty resentment is petty.
>>
>>24736561
>the fabrication unintentionally exposese the underlying injustice of human attempts as "justice" because it depicts a whorish woman getting off scott free because a carpenter points out that others have done bad things

But that's pretty much what I did explain?...

Glad that we agreed.
>>
>>24736558
I think you guys are addicted to (you)s
>>
>>24736592
>you said it yourself, petty resentment is petty

You fucking liar.

Don't do that that hoping that I won't notice.

You are perfectly aware that that 'petty resentment' was quoted, meaning, it reflects the Christian/Buddhist/whatever position of importance of forgiving which I find, and which is, morally reprehensible.
>>
>>24736561
>not stoned to death for being a whore
>getting off scott free

>>24736624
I think forgiveness is just one of the most important tools we have to find happiness and that is really all JC and the other holy men were trying to impart.
>>
>>24736594

No, you're missing the point. What the story depicts is the reality of "human justice" generally, the human justice that you're defending.

In Iran last year, something like 500 men were executed, 1 woman was - and much of the international media made a huge thing about it. This isn't just some thing that happens today, or in certain countries - it happens everywhere and in all time. In Jesus' time, the Romans executed a lot of people by crucifixion, historians have had trouble even confirming a single case of a female being crucified. This reality of systematic injustice isn't just limited to the issue of gender, it's just most obvious there.

You're putting your hope in someting hopeless - fallible man.

Anyway hope you think about it. I have to get to bed so won't respond. Night.
>>
>>24736673
Forgiveness is the surest way to become immoral.
>>
>>24736699
(For instance, to begin to preach it as opposed to pointing out immorality, to the eventual point there are all forgivers and no one to point out.)
>>
>>24736676
Sorry, Im gonna respond. The sentencing disparity is the failure of mortal wordly governments and religious groups.

We know the true rules. An miniscule amount of people follow them.
>>
>>24735263
Sounds gay and you type like a fag.
>>
>>24736699
Well, nobody ever said the road was easy. Jesus said the road is difficult. People will doubt your faith and take advantage at every turn. All a true christian can do is take it on the chin every day, knowing that doing the right thing surpasses in importance how he feels about it.

People will take advantage of someone who only turns the other cheek for sure. But to continue to live by example is how, maybe in a million years, we might get every person living in true harmony.
>>
>>24736797
One day you will realize, when you have everything you want and still need more to be happy, these ideaa are how human beings truly reach satisfaction.
>>
>>24734948
The purpose of life is doing whatever fuck you want.
>>
>>24735674

I felt so good I don't need to take the meds anymore and I am saving tons of money. Talk about killing two birds with one stone
>>
File: 1348764844816.png (2 KB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
1348764844816.png
2 KB, 244x226
>>24736386
kekaroo orginal
>>
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!
>>
There is no purpose.
>>
File: 1403399589230.png (78 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1403399589230.png
78 KB, 184x184
>>24734948
>white knights had it coming
he's right you know
>>
>>24734948
death
/thread
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.