[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /r9k/ think of philosophy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
What does /r9k/ think of philosophy?
>>
>>24728767
Real stuff done by logicians and people thinking about things like epistemology is cool. Some people make it pretty woman's studies tier though.
>>
>>24728767
Some of it made sense at first and probably helped with moving civilization forward. Nowadays it's in the shitter:
http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2015/12/jaden-smith-book/
>>
I bomb atomically. Socrates' philisophies can't define how I be dropping these mockeries. Lyrically perform armed robberies. Scream with the lottery. Possibly they spotted me DESU BAKA senpai
>>
it hurts pretty bad
>>
All I can get pointlessly philosophical about is why something rather than nothing exist. The rest is just down to science these days.
>>
File: journey-screen.jpg (909 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
journey-screen.jpg
909 KB, 1920x1080
>>24728767
Ancient philosophy laid the groundwork for modern scientific/mathematical inquiry.

Modern philosophy has no real purpose. Most things in the world can be tested empirically now, so you don't really have to just sit around thinking about it. Theology is the new philosophy, since the only question left is
>>24729000 why something rather than nothing exist
>>
>>24728767
a great tool to expand into different territories of how to interpret and perceive information. we have frontal lobes, we may as well utilize them
>>
is breddy gud

>tfw philosophy major
>>
>>24728767
Memes. Philosophy is just memes. Old ones. The oldest, in fact. Dank old memes. Which is why we have a sticky in /pol/ about logical fallacies. :^)
>>
>>24729116
I actually came ITT to post this.

Thanks, anon.
>>
File: philosophy bros.png (415 KB, 2800x2100) Image search: [Google]
philosophy bros.png
415 KB, 2800x2100
I rike it.

I really do, robot.
>>
>>24728800
Epistemology is overrated.
Any philosophy that seeks to take the place of hard science is obsolete, the human mind for centuries was the strongest tool we had for observing the world, but now it is quickly becoming one of the weakest.

Instead, one should focus primarily on the philosophical values that answers the questions central to their own life
>>
>>24728767
Faggot-tier shit that, for some reason, our culture regards as a sound business investment to spend four years and tens of thousands of dollars studying.

Everyone has philosophy. Everyone shits, too, but you don't see me going to a university to major in shitting and talk with professors and students to broaden my skills in shitting, or shitting in public places and forcing my friends to watch.
>>
>>24729268
mind if I crop and save that rare foucault?
>>
>>24728767
What philosophy exactly? I love stoicism but find Epicureanism to have some redeeming values as well.
>>
>>24729589
>doesn't understand philosophy
>equates everything to shitting by instinct
GEE ANON I WONDER WHAT THE CONNECTION IS HERE
>>
>>24729316
Some epistemological work doesn't attempt this. Wittgenstein's On Reason actually asserts things like, "observation, tests, and models, i.e. the scientific method, is actually a really strong tool, and potentially the only useful way to know things." No reasonable philosopher thinks epistemology can take the place of hard science, but it's actually the role of epistemology to provide us with foundations for obtaining and possessing knowledge.
>>
>>24729625
go for it, senpai

sure
>>
/r9k/ is slave morality.
>>
File: horn.jpg (55 KB, 350x355) Image search: [Google]
horn.jpg
55 KB, 350x355
Philosophy is for losers, and logic is for lonely virgins who just need to get laid.

I win the argument, because I don't hold myself to your autistic "philosophical" standards.

By willfully being a douchebag idiot, I never have to look at myself critically. I can act like a complete ass, say stupid shit, and people will still listen to me because I'm confident and act like I know I'm right, and people eat that stuff up. Way more than they eat the hemming and hawing of you guys with your "well actually it's very nuanced because under certain conditions..." or your "waaaahh that's actually a fallacy because blah blah blah".

Ever heard a presidential candidate talk about his opponent's use of "logical fallacies" in front of the voters? Ever seen an army commander having an ethics discussion with his foot soldiers about whether annihilating the enemy is "truly ethical"?

Ever heard a Fortune 500 CEO saying "We could make more profits by just screwing the consumer and paying paltry fines if we get caught, but that would be treating the consumers as a means only, which is wrong."

No.

Philosophy is the most beta thing ever.

Deal with it, philosofags.

I'm not really like this. I'm just calling it like I see it.
>>
>>24729962
this seems to be a disagreement in value systems
some people, some of whom would enjoy philosophy, would care more about being right than being believed. you seem more interested in adoration than getting any work done. did someone prove you wrong once? are you upset?
philosophy investigates beyond the scope of science - sure, some of it is bunk, but things like foundational logic, epistemology, and ethics have strong applications in the sciences. aesthetics and critical theory are important for the arts. also, right before things are called science, they are often in the realm of philosophy.
philosophy's about a lot more than whatever you seem think it is, your orientation towards it is strangely hostile.
>>
>>24729727
>No reasonable philosopher thinks epistemology can take the place of hard science, but it's actually the role of epistemology to provide us with foundations for obtaining and possessing knowledge.
And it has done so. It is now, ultimately, obsolete, outside of the few exploratory fields it may eventually have.

Will we need epistemology when we begin to track down quantum universes? Sure. But until then there's not much use for it.
>>
>>24728767
What does philosophy even accomplish besides having pseudo-intellectual conversations?
>>
>>24730255
A guide to living perhaps you dumb fuck?
>>
>>24730201
It's not obsolete, but it is close to complete. We have a pretty good idea about how to go about gaining knowledge in the world, what kind of things we can know, and how to talk about these classes. You're right, epistemology might have something to say about what we see when we look more closely at quantum properties, but there's no reason to think our current ruleset isn't enough.

Think of epistemology as a building block on which we can place proof systems for the natural world, scientific fields of investigation. We use epistemological assumptions all the time, but they're passive since they seem so second-nature.
>>
>>24729962
You do realise you're philosophising right? It's retarded though. Nobody goes through this world without questioning himself. Are you a machine or something?
>>
>>24730255
What does sitting around doing nothing and crying about waifus even accomplish besides feeling sorry for yourselves?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.