[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sailor Moon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (399 KB, 880x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.png
399 KB, 880x1224
Did any of you ever get into Sailor Moon? Is it worth checking out?
>>
I, too, would like to know this
>>
>>24720455
You little fuckers. What do you want to know about Sailor Moon? I am the master.

For me, it was worth checking out.
>>
>>24720660
Where do I start? Is the American show worth watching? idk why but I love the name Sailor Moon. Something about that is so cool, idk why
>>
I watched the first arc when I was kid. Just recently made my way through Sailor Moon Crystal

If you mean non-perverted reasons, the backstory stuff is good and monster-of-the-week episodes are fun.

However, the major thrust of the plot doesn't revolve around much that makes sense. Defeating the big bads usually just revolves around Sailor Moon deciding she feels good enough to win, and most of the back-and-forth of these battles is "We can win, I feel good!" "No you can't, feel bad!" "Oh no, I feel bad, we're not gonna win!" "Sailor Moon, you can do it!" "I feel good, we can win!" And on and on. There's no rhyme or reason for what's happening so it feels kind of empty just waiting for someone to decide to win.

If you're a guy who isn't fapping or a girl who isn't into pretty girly things, it's okay
>>
File: sailorstars_e049.jpg (339 KB, 1050x1500) Image search: [Google]
sailorstars_e049.jpg
339 KB, 1050x1500
>>24720455
>>24720611
its worth it for all the rape. just don't watch the american version, they cut it down to 20 minutes. its an hour long in japan, 40 minutes of sex per show.
>>
>>24720455
I loved this show when I was a toddler (3-6)
>>
>>24720678
Start with the old anime. No disrespect to Naoko, the original manga creator, but the old anime is why people remember Sailor Moon today, so that is what you should watch to see what Sailor Moon is about.

The American show is not worth watching. It never is for me, but for those of you who are ok with dubs, I say that in the first dub, the Sailor Moon voice actor changes three times, they didn't dub the final season, and worst of all, they got rid of Sailor Moon's wonderful original music.

In the newer dub, I think the sound mixing in it is just shit compared to the Jap version. It sounds too much like people coldly recording lines in a studio, and lots of background sounds are missing.

Of course, I have a problem with the casting and direction in all of them. The English dubs don't cast cute voices, and they certainly don't ask their actors to sound cute. Instead I think they hire some cheap haggard midwestern F-list actors, and of course the performances can never be right due to all the lip syncing they have to do.

Sailor Moon is cool.
>>
>>24720681
>big bad

Sup reddit
>>
>>24720681
Are you telling me your only Sailor Moon experience is the dub's first season and Sailor Moon Crystal?

Damn, that sucks.
>>
I've watched it while playing grinding games. You can keep up with the plot by just glancing at the screen every now and then or just listening, so it's pretty good for background noise. It's not a very exciting show if you sit down and watch it.
>>
>>24721002

You left out the extensive censorship that was applied to the English dub. Sailor Moon had several LGBT characters in its cast. Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus were made out to be "cousins," even though they were explicitly a couple in the original version. Then there was Zoisite being gender swapped into a woman to avoid the whole gay subtext that was going on between him and another male villain.

I don't even want to think about how the dub would have handled the Starlights from the final season.
>>
>>24720455
If you're not rewatching for the nostalgia factor, you probably won't like it. That is, unless you grew up with it, you probably wouldn't like it, watching it for the first time as an adult. Unless you're into magical girl anime in the first place, in which case you'd like it because it pretty much defined the genre.
I both grew up with it and like magical girl anime, and when I watch it without nostalgia goggles, it's pretty dated but I can't deny its influence.
The manga is better desu senpai
>>
>>24721021
>sup reddit

You mean 'sup tvtropes' if you want where it was originally from.
>>
>>24721152
I left that out, because I don't think those changes affected the show all that much. Like, Sailor Moon had LGBT characters, but it's not like Sailor Moon was some master treatise on the subject. It wasn't.

Maybe the worst thing about it is that the dubbers were so stupid that they couldn't handle very very mild gayness, and I wouldn't want to watch something spearheaded by stupids, because their work is more likely to be stupid.
>>
File: Sailor_Mars_(Fireball_Charge).png (524 KB, 900x1115) Image search: [Google]
Sailor_Mars_(Fireball_Charge).png
524 KB, 900x1115
>>24720455
Sailor Mars is my waifu :^)
>>
>>24721180
I'm an exception to that.

I watched Sailor Moon as a kid, and I know I didn't think it was good, because I did not remember a single thing about it. I had nooo nostalgia going into it.

I had no experience with any other Magical Girl stuff either, but I was just a little curious about the genre, so I watched it.

I gotta admit that the first season was rough. I was gonna drop the series, but I gave R a chance, and it won me over instantly, and since then I have been in love with Sailor Moon.
>>
>>24721487

Most likely, they just didn't want to upset the moral guardians. Censorship was a big deal in the '80s and '90s, and usually in response to conservative groups complaining about violence and "the gay agenda." Unfortunately, this is still a thing. For instance, Adventure Time's writers couldn't canonize the relationship between Princess Bublegum and Marceline in the animated series due to fear over conservative backlash. They nonetheless got away with it in the comics.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.