[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw give up trying to test into calculus fuck my dreams i guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: suicidal_thoughts.png (40 KB, 157x106) Image search: [Google]
suicidal_thoughts.png
40 KB, 157x106
>tfw give up trying to test into calculus

fuck my dreams i guess
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 310x325) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 310x325
calculus is fucking hard man. I've been good at math my entire life and I still don't understand calculus 1 after taking it twice.
>>
being successful is overrated
>>
>>24702177
Calculus 1 was the easiest class I have ever taken. I thought stuff like Algebra 2 was harder
>>
>>24702177
it's not even that the calculus is hard but that I forgot most of algebra and trigonometry after two years of NEET-dom. I'm going to have to start at College Algebra, so I flat out can't do any engineering majors other than EE. I don't even know if I'm smart enough in that way to get through it.

I sometimes think about majoring in something easy like a language or something just so I can enjoy myself for once. I don't know anymore.
>>
>>24702286
I was good at pre-calculus, algebra, geometry, everything until i hit this wall. I even understand it better when I'm taking physics, but I cant take straight up calculus and do well.
>>
>>24702289
That's for the best anon. Calculus requires a thorough understanding of algebra. Going back to college algebra might feel like a step backwards, but trust me, it'll be better in the long run
>>
>>24702286
geometry was the only thing i didnt have to adjust to; i remember having to put in effort with basic addition/timestables etc in elementary, algebra in middle school, and calculus was a fucking bitch

>tfw finally got through calc II but gave up on college anyways
>>
File: 1444286689047.jpg (35 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
1444286689047.jpg
35 KB, 400x388
>pre-calc in high school taught us L I T E R A L calculus
>get college credit for calc 1 from AP calc
>calc 2 and 3 are easy
>ace first electrodynamics calculus test
>....
>later find out that my highschool dumbed down their pre-calc course so that it's just fucking algebra now
>no longer pre-teaches them calculus
I'll always remember you fondly, high school pre-calc.
>>
File: 26992597_9337f70168_o.jpg (201 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
26992597_9337f70168_o.jpg
201 KB, 960x1280
>>24702355
That's how I'm trying to think about it. Thanks for the encouragement.
>>
File: BlankStare-300x243.jpg (15 KB, 300x243) Image search: [Google]
BlankStare-300x243.jpg
15 KB, 300x243
tfw have no idea how to do anything beyond addition and subtraction
>>
>>24702177
How can you be good at math but bad at calculus? There isn't that much before it as far as I remember
>>
>>24702490
What's the point of calling it precalc if it's just calculus?
>>
>>24702606
If I'm not wrong, Pre-Calculus is just a review of Algebra/Geometry + Trigonometry.
>>
>>24702541
OP, let me be real for a second. I sucked at math in high school, and failed out of trigonometry the first time. I've been in your situation. Right now I'm in my final year of college, double majoring in Computer Science and Statistics with a 3.8 GPA and I want to give you some advice.

Math is HARD. It might come easy to some people for a little while, but by the time you're getting to anything meaningful (Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, real analysis, etc.), those people who found it easy aren't there anymore. The people who are there are people who were willing to put in the time to learning and mastering math. If math doesn't come easy to you, that doesn't make you stupid or not cut out for an engineering position, it makes you NORMAL.

What separates the great engineers from the warm bodies who shuffle through school and life is that great engineers are willing to tackle problems they don't know how to solve right now. They're willing to put in practice, repetition and hard work to master their skills and improve themselves. Great engineers are not born that way, they make themselves that way.

My advice is to start with general education (i.e. college algebra) classes at your local community college. I took everything up through calc III at the community college, and the education I got was as good or better than the university I transferred to. Realize it will be hard, realize you will get frustrated that you're not understanding everything immediately, realize that you WILL understand it if you apply yourself, and realize that it will be worth it. In fact, it will be worth it precisely because it is hard.
>>
>>24702579

>tfw someone asks you what half of 72 is and you freak the fuck out have a panic attack
>>
>>24702702
ITT: its 2005
>>
>>24702702
I'll try to remember this, thanks.
>>
>>24702589
Theres arithmetic, geometry, algebra, and statistics before calculus.
>>
>>24702606
No clue. It was mostly algebra with an introduction and some fundamentals of calculus. I'm positive we learned the derivation of dx/dt as well as the chain and product rules though.
>>
>>24702177
>good at math
>cant do calc 1

What the fuck are you good at then? Multiplying polynomials? Congrats.
>>
>>24703509
more like good at all the math I was taught up through high school. and now I feel like a faggot for actually being shit at the only subjects i thought i was good at and liked.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.