[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any of you robots in the Military? >What branch are you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 28
File: download.jpg (179 KB, 1200x807) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
179 KB, 1200x807
Are any of you robots in the Military?
>What branch are you in?
>Why?
>What's your job?
>When did you enlist?
>How did your parents react?
>How was basic training?

I'm 18, in my last year of High school. I have a 3.8 GPA. I fucking hate school, and I'm extremely socially awkward, but when it comes to the physical side of things, I have good strength and endurance. Fitness helps with my anxiety. I don't really want to go to college, I'm considering joining Air Force or Navy. My parents will probably disown me if I do.
>>
>parents disowning you for serving your country
wow. but seriously join the air force.
>>
File: fmj_mqp2xwGZC61s39hlao1_500.gif (968 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
fmj_mqp2xwGZC61s39hlao1_500.gif
968 KB, 500x265
>>24702009
>I'm extremely socially awkward,
Not sure if military is the best place for people who are awkward and struggle fitting in. Its all about conformity.
>>
File: 4chanaddictedpepe.gif (280 KB, 400x388) Image search: [Google]
4chanaddictedpepe.gif
280 KB, 400x388
>>24702131
Does it really require you being a social butterfly to follow orders in the Military?
>>
>>24702009
6 months till BUDS
1.5 mile run in 8 minutes
135 push ups in 2 minutes
110 sit ups in 2 minutes
30 pull ups, maybe a bit more
7 minute 500m sidestroke

should be fun on a bun, but I take no chances, this will be the hardest thing I have ever done
>>
my parents support my decision to join the marines, but when I mentioned that I wanted to before college they got fucking pissed.
>>
>>24702194
no
Keep quiet, communicate when you need to, and the guys will love you. Pull your own weight. Everything is teamwork, if you are the weak link they will bully you until you break.
Also, if youre in combat, you dont have to deal with girls
>inb4 "but girls can serve in combat now
Girls are a political statement. They just stay on bases and suck off officers while the guys go on tours and do real shit
>>
>>24702194
Its less about following orders from your CO and more about fitting in with the other guys in your squad/group. Have you ever played organized sports on a team? Its a very similar environment except you dont go home at the end of practice/game, its 24/7.
>>
File: aQnbwMr_460s_v1.jpg (64 KB, 460x701) Image search: [Google]
aQnbwMr_460s_v1.jpg
64 KB, 460x701
>>24702009
>My parents will probably disown me if I do.
I doubt it, its a scare tactic

If you are akward, join the air force. some of the most akward people i have ever met were in the USO at Chicago Ohare--air force academy cadets.

With a 3.8 GPA consider applying to the air force academy
>>
>>24702387
>>I fucking hate school
>>
File: 1447380692195.jpg (163 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
1447380692195.jpg
163 KB, 1252x1252
>>24702229
you should enlist in a rate you like, then opt for BUD/S.

If you pull a muscle,break an arm, etc you will be thrown into a rate deemed by needs of the Navy, aka painting haze grey on ships or something until the next opening, which could be at the end of your enlistment

learn how to egg beater and hold a gallon of water above your head when egg beating. If you dont your fucked. I read more star water polo and wrestlers make it through buds than anyone else
>>
>>24702529
>learn how to egg beater and hold a gallon of water above your head when egg beating
w-what do you mean?
>>
File: gore.jpg (758 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
gore.jpg
758 KB, 2592x1944
>>24702009
does this brings you fellows memories?
>>
>>24702284
>inb4 "but girls can serve in combat now
If you don't want to dick around with girls in combat, just join the Marines. They're trying their hardest not to get keked, unlike the Army (and women getting into ground combat in the AF and Navy is entirely irrelevant seeing as that's all SOF shit and there's not a fucking snowball's chance in hell that a woman will ever make it into one of those).
>>
>>24702588
means he knows how to beat a good egg ;)
>>
>>24702387
if he's a good student he should join the navy and become a nuke.
good pay while he's in, and a large amount of available jobs when he gets out.
>>
File: 7_8_eggbeater_kick.jpg (59 KB, 390x265) Image search: [Google]
7_8_eggbeater_kick.jpg
59 KB, 390x265
>>24702588
this is what i mean

you better get so good u can sleep while doing this

I am a good swimmer but not knowing how to egg beater kick fukd me over in marine nrotc when we had pass ammo cans in a circle while in a pool like a blunt at a party

My head was underwater for 1min, then breathe, down again

If I went through buds i would have failed because of, and I passed the buds running,swim, tests with flying colors
>>
File: 1447384782845.jpg (80 KB, 395x500) Image search: [Google]
1447384782845.jpg
80 KB, 395x500
Hey just stopping by to say fuck the troops pledging your life to die for Israel & oil is the most bluepilled shit on the planet
>>
>>24702009

>What branch are you in?
US Navy
>Why?
See the world, they said
>What's your job?
Master at Arms (Military Police to you non Navy types)
>When did you enlist?
Considering that they are hard core peace loving hippies, fairly well.
>How was basic training?fun, made friends
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 216x233) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 216x233
>>24702009
Marine here. I'm waiting to pick up MOS school right now. Basically we just clean the barracks for an hour or two each day and then get the rest of the time to fuck around and interwebz. Boot camp wasn't too bad. My parents were happy because I was way into drugs and drank a shit ton because of boredom and no grillz so they are happy I had to give up a lot of that. Overall I don't mind the life. A lot of it beats the boring, monotenous routine of working a job that makes you want to kill yourself. Just try to keep a positive mindset through everything and you'll be fine. I enlisted in April when I was 23. Went to bootcamp in July. Graduated boot camp in October, then went to MCT and after that was done, found myself at MOS school in Fort Lee Virginia.

Basic training (or boot camp) wasn't that hard but you have to be mentally prepared to get fucked with. Try to be a ghost and not be noticed a whole lot. It will help a ton. Also the physical fitness isn't huge. I mean USMC boot camp is physically challenging but you don't need an athlete level of fitness to do it. We went for runs maybe a total of 10 times during all of boot camp.

I don't really know why I joined the marines, as I now think I should have picked air force or Army as we get treated like shit compared to them. I think I just bought in to all the propoganda and shit lol.

My job is 2111 armorer/small arms repair. Trust me I didn't pick this job. I wanted to be a welder or machinist and my recruiter assured me I would be and I signed the contract for ordnance repair/metal works (you can only sign an open field contract in the marines not a specific job). I ended up getting a fucking job, that by all accounts will just be cleaning weapons that others shoot. FML. I'm also still pretty fucking robotic and am not slaying tons of hot pussy like I had hoped by joining the marines. Oh well, at least I can still buy alcohol and join the frog an feels tavern every now and again.
>>
File: supercar_combo.jpg (197 KB, 1200x500) Image search: [Google]
supercar_combo.jpg
197 KB, 1200x500
>>24702722
nuke school is the hardest school in he nation

If he doesnt have a 4.6 GPA with AP calc, physics passed with flying colors I wouldnt recommend

I had a friend who studied mech eng at a top 30 uni, passed with 3.5gpa+, all 9s on asvab. Navy sent him to nuke instead of SNA and said nuke school was the hardest thing ever. Hes a really smart guy. Doing well in HS doesnt mean shit to nuke school
>>
One of the things they dont tell you is that if even one of your asshole squad guys doesnt like you, he's probably just kill you and tell people it was accidental friendly fire and get off scott free
>>
>>24702009
If you CAN join the military, you don't belong here.
>>
File: The-Observable-Universe.jpg (37 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
The-Observable-Universe.jpg
37 KB, 600x300
>>24702780
women are attracted to money and muslce not uniforms

get jacked instead of interwebz
>>
>>24702780
Why did you join the marines?
>>
>>24702009
Hey bro, future soldier here. 3.4 gpa. 18. Graduating this year. Parents support me as my dad was in the army. To be fair, im a reservist, so im stationed at March ARB, but i ship to basic August 1. Fuck your parents. Get on a boat, or go to anotber country. Build a new life. Fuck bitches, save that money, and retire after 20 years and reap those benefits. Hooah.
>>
>>24702913
>retire after 20 years
kek
>>
>>24702229
dude fucking help me with my push ups I cannot do more than 40+ to save my life, it's like I'm at a plateau
>>
>>24702913
reservists got shot the fuck up in iraq. the locals know whose reserve and whose active duty
>>
>considering joining the military
>in great shape, could really see myself exceeding
>afraid of loud popping noises, and I can't get over it

It's a legit phobia I've had since I was a small child. Gunshots, popping balloons, fireworks, and so on I hate. It's preventing me from joining.

>dude just get over it

I've been trying my whole life
>>
>>24702969
I dont plan on shipping out during my contract. My unit is basically dead desu, we have the empty building in the back of the base.
>>
reminder that autism and most likely depression will medically diqualify you

failed normies in this thread baka desu
>>
>>24702070
>chairforce
>>
>>24702910
because I thought it would be cool and would help me become a more confident, better person. Also thought it would help me out in my life and was a way for me to go to college. I should have picked another branch but I wanted to get the "full military experience" and thought the marines were the coolest ones to join. It's full of cocky little douchebags and bro type normies.
>>
>>24702671
or become RANGER
oh, wait, they fucked that up for me too
>>
Considering joining airforce and try to be a pararescue man after college. People say it's harder than bud/s but i dont see how thats true.
>>
Going to MEPs probably in 2 days. Shipping out in March or April. Air Force Master Race
>>
>What branch are you in?
Army
>Why?
Why army? Because they were the only ones that could secure me the job I wanted, all the other branches wanted me to play russian roulette with it, pick 5 jobs and they'd pick one for me.
>What's your job?
Wheeled vehicle mechanic
>When did you enlist?
October of last year
At first, they thought I wouldn't go through with it like I had done with everything else, but when they realized I wasn't going to quit, they fully supported me. Still do to this day.
>How was basic training?
Bittersweet
Hated a lot of the niggers there, exercised a lot of self control not lashing out on them
Met a couple cool people I still talk to every now and again
Got pretty fit, gained back the weight since
The best advice I can give is to listen to your instructors, they've done everything you've done and more.
Also, volunteering for something isn't always a bad idea
Sometimes it's shitty like trash detail, other times it's sitting in a warm van bullshitting with your buddies while everyone else is freezing in the rain, pick and choose man.
Best of luck with whatever you do, robot.
>>
File: freedom isnt free.jpg (179 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
freedom isnt free.jpg
179 KB, 500x375
Enjoy your future homes, milfags.
>>
File: 1445788663941.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1445788663941.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
>>24703352
>implying there's a war
>implying skating in a cushy billet isn't WINNING
>>
>>24702642

Damn, what happened here?
>>
>>24703758
Guy got hit in the head by a jet that was backing up. Saw this image before and spent forever trying to figure it out until the poster told me.
>>
>>24703789

If it was backing up there's no way it would be going fast at all. Doesn't seem like it would do that to someone.
>>
National Guard medic reporting in

Got me my EMT cert and shit tons of chicks, just had to sit through some windy days in Oklahoma to get there. Got me fit, employed and out of robot-dom OP. I don't know how anxious you are but if you can't deal with a bit of yelling you might not want to join
>>
>>24702291
Tfw was always the quiet weird kid on the hockey team. People confronted me on being so quiet. Fuak military wont be much different ehfam?
>>
Depends, do you want to sit in a chair all day and be treated to top in style airforce bases with cuties
or do you want to be in a gay sailor ship and travel the whole world?
>>
>>24702009
>no
>not in any branch
>walmart
>im not in the military
>they didnt react in any way to anything because i never joined the military
>i didnt do any basic training because im not and never was in the military
stupid questions tb.h
>>
>>24702009
Join the Air Force or Navy if you want respect and don't want to die. Assuming you have a good test results though.
>>
If I fail out of uni I'm headed your way son. Desperately searching for a purpose. I'd like to see some action, I think. Eyesight is too shit for the airforce.
>>
>>24704566
you are the dumb for responding for no reason

you type like a woman
>>
File: 1448411655309.png (9 KB, 401x367) Image search: [Google]
1448411655309.png
9 KB, 401x367
>>24702780

Salty LCpl here;

Field day your room instead of posting on a Mongolian Basket Weaving board, boot. :^)
>>
>>24703151
I'd advise anyone that wants to join the military to visit the recruiters office first of that branch you are joining.

Personally I've found:

Marines = Full of Chads/Staceys
Airforce = Robots
Navy = Normies, some black dudes
Army = Normies
>>
>>24702773
I have a 27 year old that's like 6'3 and 220 pounds of muscle in my recruiting branch. He has a degree in Mechanical Engineering but he wants to be a Master at Arms. I hope he makes Seals or however that works
>>
>>24704653

Muhreen here; I can assure you the Marines are quite the opposite. Just about every Marine ever is a misfit of some sort and some are borderline robot-tier. I've met very few Chads and like 3 Staceys max.
>>
>>24704709
Ever seen any skellies enter and do well? I mean, I can manage 10 pull ups but that's about it.
>>
>>24704635
aye aye LCpl! lol
>>
>>24704737

Yeah family; I'm a skelly myself and it's a well known fact that most spec ops guys are the lanky fuckers.

10 will be fine for boot camp and you will improve (you don't really have a choice in that matter)

Any other questions you have I'm down to answer my man.
>>
>>24704653
Airforce here; I think most people in the Airforce are cyborgs with very few actual robots.
>>
>>24704749

Rah, Devil pup.
>>
>>24704772
Cool, why'd you enter in the first place? Do you find it to be fulfilling?
>>
File: 1448190996420.png (121 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1448190996420.png
121 KB, 258x245
>see some dumb cunt who is joining the chairforce AS A MECHANIC
>she has on a hoodie that says "isis killer" and some skulls
>kek internally
>ask her why she's killing our allied troops
>she looks at me confused
>explain that the government in America, Israel, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia, all of the latter three our allies, fund the terrorists
>she denies it
>ask her how they got thousands of the exact same toyota trucks, all those american humvees, why they sell oil to turkey and israel
>she tells me to get the fuck out of America if I don't like it so much
>mfw
>>
>>24704778

In my personal experience I've found most Air Force to have cyborg males and Stacey females, the Navy to be predominantly robots, Marines to be the misfits, and Army to be normie-tier.
>>
>>24704804

I joined because I knew damn well I'd lose my shit if I worked a normal job for my whole life. I worked one for awhile beforehand and was basically a constantly tired, depressed mess.

Honestly, Marines are great. I spend all my time with my best friends (which is every Marine) and it's like a constant party.
Of course there's the shitty aspects of it, (military enlisted was rated one of the highest stress occupations) but you're going through it with your bros and you have people to bitch about it with.
>>
>>24704875
I feel pretty much I'm in the same boat now you were in. If you flunk out of the Marines do they just send you packing to the Army? What's the initial process like?
>>
>>24704829

I actually have a deep, dark hatred for the Air Force as a whole.

Met some fucking great people in that branch but goddamn.
>>
File: Angry pepe.jpg (19 KB, 403x392) Image search: [Google]
Angry pepe.jpg
19 KB, 403x392
>>24704829
So many non combat I mean never will ever see combat MOS people are jumping all over this isis shit attention whoring, and trying to look like bad asses to civilians
>>
>>24704916

You really can't "flunk out" of the Marines. The Marines are a cheap bunch and once you've signed your name on the line, they want to make the most use of you that they can.

If you do somehow get kicked out though, you usually can't join another branch and it'll be permanent on your record for anyone to see, including employers. You have to be a real fucking dumbass and pop on on a drug test or something or do a fuckload of dumb shit for that to happen.

Initial process is simple; basically:
1. Go to a recruiter
2. Sign up
3. He'll send you to MEPS (Military Entrance and Processing Station)
4. You do a bunch of paperwork shit and medical inspections there like the infamous nut grab)
5. If you're cleared, you'll swear in as a member of the military.
6. You'll go back to your recruiting station and become a poolee; basically means you workout with the other Poolees weekly to condition for boot
7. You'll get a date for boot camp
8. Back to MEPS once that date hits, then off to boot
9. When the bus gets to the Depot, prepare yourself because your dickhole is about to get kicked in.
>>
File: 1447886262097.png (1 MB, 935x670) Image search: [Google]
1447886262097.png
1 MB, 935x670
>>24704985

That and loads of civilians are jumping on the whole "ISIS hunter/viking culture/operator/valhalla/tactical" bullshit. I mean, good on them for their support but goddamn if you wanna do that come fucking enlist like we did.
>>
>>24704829
She's just an attention whore, but from my experience as a maintainer, is that maintenance just flat out sucks.
>>
>robots
>military

Yeah, no. The military is a high-stress, high-intensity atmosphere that relies on top-tier interpersonal communication, ability to pick up on rapid-fire cues, and nerves of steel. It's like an autist's worst nightmare.
>>
>>24705198

The only reason I make it here is because I'm pro-tier at hiding my power level, although it's slipped a few times in the last few days.

It's very possible to be a robot and in the military, senpai.
>>
>>24705017
What if you don't have a license? I'm 23, and the town I live in is so small I can literally walk through the whole thing in 20 minutes.
>>
>>24705228

Do you, like, not have crippling anxiety and shyness issues or something?

Having to deal with the pressures of being around strict discipline and constant interaction with tough guys sounds like it'd make me blow my brains out.
>>
>>24705255

You don't need a license at all, senpai. Anywhere you need to go during the process will be covered by government vehicles taking you, and they pay for your plane tickets to new duty stations, and each base is like it's own small town that you can just walk in.

Also a lot of bases have bus systems, plus you'll be sure to make friends with cars.
>>
File: fiddleronthebase.jpg (11 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
fiddleronthebase.jpg
11 KB, 210x240
>considering joining just to get more experience to help write the military parts of my novel
>>
>>24705291

I had both of those a but before I joined.

The stress of this place does do bad things to some guys. There's no shortage of alcoholics, a lot of guys will take it out on others (read: usually will be your superiors) and I have my share of problems too. But the confidence instilled in you when you become a Marine; that shit's like no other and you almost feel the shit that plagued you before just disappear.
>>
>>24705329

In the Marines you could go to boot and then combat training and you'd have enough experience to sound like you know what the fuck you're talking about in a novel for sure.

Plus, although combat training (MCT or SOI) is entry-level training, you get to do a lot of cool shit; the kind of stuff that makes people want to join.
>>
File: 1396039403123.jpg (57 KB, 497x347) Image search: [Google]
1396039403123.jpg
57 KB, 497x347
Being a robot in the army isn't too bad. What's bad is being stationed in a state with legal weed and you can't smoke any of it
>>
>>24705306
Dope, I couldn't get into the airforce do to something about my diploma. Would you recommend going to college for a couple months for the credits then joining, or go to another branch all together?
>>
>>24705367
That does sound intriguing. I guess I've always had some thirst for adventure too, and it seems like the closest thing left in this world.

Ever kill a man anon?
>>
>>24705372
>What's bad is being stationed in a state with legal weed and you can't smoke any of it
>you can't smoke any of it

Sorry bro haha
>>
>>24705376
I would say try the Coast Guard, and if not, then try to join the marines
>>
>>24705376

Now, I may be a Marine and therefore I will fit the stereotype of being hugely biased towards my branch, because they are in fact the toughest and you will get most respect from being one.

But, robot to robot, the Air Force is a fucking great gig. It's super easy to get E-3 (rank) right off the bat, which means more money and quicker rising through the ranks. They almost ALWAYS have nicer shit than we do (but what branch doesn't) and their barracks and chow halls are usually some of the best. Plus they have a lot of job opportunities and you get treated a little more like humans.

Also, it's weird, but like every hot girl is in the air force. Just about anywhere you go, Marines and Air Force girls are spittin' game at each other.
>>
>>24705439
Most Air Force girls are ugly as shit.
-Air Force dude
>>
>>24705472
Can you get in with glasses?
>>
>>24705401

Not yet my man. I'm actually an MOS that has a fuckton of training to do, so I'm still in my job training. Been in for a long while though.

After this, I'll for sure deploy, so I'll come let you know if I pop a cap in someone.

Also, of you want stories, have more questions, want protips, or funny shit, leave a way to contact you and I'll answer anything. This goes to anyone.
>>
>>24705472

I have gorgeous ones all over this base.
Maybe I'm just used to the troll goblins they call female Marines so anything that has something resembling a vagina goes up like 5 on the 1 to 10 scale.
>>
>>24705490
Yes you can, but i think it has to be correctable to 20/20.
>>
>>24705490

You can; there just might be certain jobs you cant do, like sniper or some shit. It'll be a very small amount though.
>>
>>24705514
When i was stationed at Pensacola, some of the Navy and Marine girls looked way better then our girls.
>>
>>24705548

I heard the horror stories of Penascola.

I was at DLI for awhile and I swear, like almost every AF girl was a 6 or up.
>>
>>24705494
It's cool, you've been a huge help anon. I'm outta questions. Good luck out there soldier, maybe I'll see there one day
>>
>>24705569
Yeah they were stories that most of the Navy girls had syphilis.
>>
>branch
Aus Navy
>Why?
Paid to study in an accelerated course with on-the-job experience.
>job?
Medic
>Entry
Some time ago
>Parents
They knew it was going to happen since day dot but the last minute change from army to navy confused them.
>basic
Easy as piss. Keep your head down and try to embody the grey man.

Do it, you're 18. Even a 4 year contract as a shitkicker is probably more interesting than university. 4 years is nothing; try it or you'll regret it.
>>
File: SGT SAFETY.jpg (86 KB, 720x876) Image search: [Google]
SGT SAFETY.jpg
86 KB, 720x876
>>24702009

>What branch are you in?
Army
>Why?
Tradition, men on my father's side of the family have served in the US Army since it was the Continental Army
>What's your job?
Infantryman
>When did you enlist?
They were pretty supportive of my decision.
>How was basic training?
OSUT was a joke.
>>
>>24705569
And also most of the marines act like dumbasses, but i also met some cool Marines
>>
>>24705616

Yeah, some guys act like full autist mode but are some of the smartest guys I've met.

I wanna know if you've noticed this too-have you noticed that a fuckton of Navy guys are weebs?
>>
>>24705608

He's not wrong-as long as you don't seriously fuck your shit up family, the military can only do good for you.

Job experience
Free college money
They give you somewhere to live, free
They feed you, free (technically)
Free medical
Respect
Train you to fight
Physically fit
Time to mature
Fun job
Exciting

Like seriously
>>
>>24705639
idk i didn't really talk to much Navy while I was there for tech school, because most of them thought they were better than us which was pretty funny.
>>
>>24705680

>Squids
>Thinking they're better
>Literally half of the fuckers would fall out on turtle-speed all hands runs
>>
>>24705705
haha thats pretty funny, yeah i have alot more respect for marines than navy, cause they have to put up with alot more bs.
>>
>>24702009
>What branch are you in?
Army
>Why?
Escape, maturity, money, college
>What's your job?
11B (Infantry)
>When did you enlist?
March 2015
Both think it's a bad idea
>How was basic training?
Difficult, but that's only because I was an inactive fuck that just browsed 4chan all day and never exercised. As long as you're in decent shape, it really shouldn't be too bad for you.

I recommend you join the Army because it's the best funded, the largest, and you'll have the widest selection of duty stations.
>>
>>24705738

Oh, the bullshit we put up with is on the daily, family.

Still haven't learned the AF rank structure so I always just give a proper greeting without using rank to AF guys. It usually works because they're surprised that someone actually greeted them anyway and they'll usually mumble something incoherent back, but goddamn I am not going to learn your ranks when you guys have like 50 chevrons on your sleeves.
>>
>>24702009
>What branch are you in?
Air Force
>Why?
fucked up in school, too dumb to go to college
>What's your job?
2A7X2 NDI (Aircraft Maintenance)
>When did you enlist?
November 2014
They were cool with it, im 4th generation military.
>How was basic training?
Easy as shit, but fucking hilarious most of the time.
>>
>>24705752

He's right. Army has a fuckton of money, is huge, and the duty stations and schools you can go to are never ending; same with jobs you can do. Only downside to it is because it's so huge, you're largely considered just another cog in the machine as opposed to the small, tight-knit Marines.

Love some soldiers though; we had one we basically made an honorary Marine.

Rusty, if you're out there, I miss you man.
>>
>>2470578
haha its pretty easy to tell an officer from enlisted in the Air Force, if its shiny then salute. Navy rank on the other hand is really shitty.
>>
>>24705859

Fucking Navy with their weird as hell ranks. I didn't even attempt to learn that shit.

Was fun to laugh at guys who saluted Petty Officers because of the shinies though.
>>
>>24702009
>3.8 gpa
>wants to join the military
Boy you have book smarts but clearly you're fucking retarded
>>
>>24705859

Truly the worst.
>>
>>24705903

Not really; they'll pay for him to go to college so he can get an education for either free or damn near close.
>>
>>24705883
One time i didn't salute this Marine lt cause i thought he was Navy and he got really butthurt about it and started yelling at me.
>>
>>24705920

I heard of some Marines whos chevrons were so chipped and gold that people thought they were Lieutenants from afar and would try to salute them.

Also one guys collar got blown in the wind backwards so some guy thought the pin holders in the back were officer rank and saluted him.
>>
>>24705933

Yeah, Marines are used to proper greeting all the time and usually will get mad af if you don't salute.

I always like calling Army sergeants by their full rank instead of just "Sergeant," always catches them by surprise.
>>
File: ham on cat.png (265 KB, 611x731) Image search: [Google]
ham on cat.png
265 KB, 611x731
As a recent college grad with not much going on and interesteed in the military, w/ a 3.03 after trying to work a double major and almost full time, if I don't get into officer, is it worth enlisting in any branch? I'm already working shit tier fast food paying jobs 7 days a week, so getting paid ~$10k wouldn't really make a difference as long as I had some of my loans paid off/some semblance of aplan for the next few years.

thoughts?
>>
>>24706007

Just about every branch will give you extra rank (more money as well) right off the bat if you have a college education (especially air force)

I would say the Air Force is your best bet. It seems people rank up fast as fuck in there.
>>
>>24702780
Let me assure you that you will not be cleaning a bulk load of weapons. Each Plt has assigned weapons and they are in charge of cleaning the. You will however inspect them. Your job is cake bro. If I can give you a piece of advice go to BAS when ever possible. Get all medical documented when you are in. If you can collect 50% disability from VA work and collect from GI Bill you're set. Easy $4K month when you get out!
>>
>>24706007
No its not worth to enlist with the kind of education you have, unless you have debt or just need a stable job. People with way less education are going to have more rank than you and you're kinda gonna have a shitty time. Its up to whether or not you want to serve our country.
>>
>>24706039
So should I try to go in as enlisted? I mean, I'm a hard worker, I love putting my nose to the grindstone and love a challenge. i'm stubborn, tell me I can't do it or I'm not good enough and I'll literally go til I can barely stand on my own two feet, then give you another set of pull-ups.

But in college, I tried taking physics, having never taken it before, one too many times (complicated math is my weakness), amidst other things going on, and got a low grade in calculus (never actually Fed a class before). Everyone, incl my ex-coast guard cousin, swears to not go in as enlisted... but...

with only a 3.03, i'm not 100% sure what I can and cannot swing...
>>
>>24706007
ham on, cat
>>
>>24706097
I mean, yea, i do have debt. ~35k or so. Then again who doesn't?
>>
>>24706139
Then i guess its worth enlisted if you really want to. I would recommend to join the Air Force because you can easily get E-3 with the amount of education you have, and if you work hard enough and kiss enough asses, then you could get SrA BTZ.
>>
>>24706108

If you go officer, you may not get that grisly in the shit enlisted experience, but you will generally have more quality of life and will make as much as an E-6 enlisted right from the start.

I've seen guys with as much education as you go enlisted as well, and if how you describe yourself is true and you can stay cool under pressure, you'll do great as enlisted.

Really, the first question is, do you want to go military, or do you want to use your education in the civilian world?

If you do still want to join, I would recommend officer. If you can't make that, you could still go enlisted, and even as an enlisted there's a bunch of programs where you can go officer later on. Those guys are called "mustangs" and they get a huge amount of respect.

This is because guys who go straight officer didn't experience the bullshit enlisted deal with and a lot of the times will be indifferent to the problems we face. Mustangs know how tough it is for us and will almost always be guys you love serving under.

Biggest respect always goes to the guys who started enlisted and worked their way up to a really high enlisted rank. Almost always relaxed as hell too.
>>
>>24706207

Also, he's right. Air Force hands out E3 like fucking candy.
>>
>What branch are you in?
Marines
>Why?
Brother was a SS Recon Marine and had a huge influence on me growing up.
>What's your job?
1833 Amphibious Assault- Moved over to 0321 after 1st Med Float
>When did you enlist?
1999 EAS late 2006
Dad was dead mom cried
>How was basic training?
I was a squad leader so when my squad fucked up I paid. It mental more then physical.

Haven't been on 4chan in about 5 years and decided to come on today because of the mass shooting in Ca. I've been checking out each board when I came across this thread.
>>
>>24706240
Yeah i guess so, but since im a 4 year enlistee with no college credits means i started as a slick sleeve and im still only an E-2 :/.
>>24706139
also DO NOT SIGN FOR 6 YEARS NO MATTER WHAT THE RECRUITER SAYS, alot of people i know regret this.
>>
>>24706245

What up, recon bro? Marine here.

Yeah, that shooting was like 25 minutes from my house. I wish we would do something about it but I'm 90 percent sure shit wont pop off as usual.
>>
>>24705537
>can't be sniper because of shitty eyesight

All interest has been dropped. Not that I had any interest in the first place toobehonest
>>
>>24706313

Right again, 6 year contracts fucking hate that shit.

Who else /5year/ here?

Also slick sleeves are hilarious.
>tfw a big group of new AF guys rush to get out of my way and call me sir
>>
How is air force training like? I am generally physically unhealthy and will die in hot temperatures but cool to cold temperatures, I can last far longer and don't mind being outside.
>>
>>24706331

I just looked it up and I was a bit off; if you can have your vision corrected to 20/20 you still can, and I think in VERY special cases you still can with glasses.

There's a fuckton of other cool jobs other than sniper anon; you could do special forces in any branch still.
>>
>>24706377

Air Force dude can help you with that, but from what I've heard from Airkeks it's a fucking joke.

>marine boot camp final test
>called the crucible
>basically they mouth fuck you for 3 days, rain or shine
>talk to airforce
>"Oh yeah, they cancelled our final test because it was too cold."

mfw
>>
>>24706377
Not too hard desu, just put all of your effort during pt in basic and you'll be in the best shape of your life.
>>
>>24706331
>>24706385

I know for US Army Sniper school the requirement says as follows:

>Must have 20/20 correctable vision and have color discrimination or red/green annotated on physical exam.
>>
>>24706385
Interesting. All the fancy shit sounds cool but I don't think I could cut it in the early phases (I just about die after running 2 miles).

I dunno. I'm currently applying to grad school so yeah. But getting /k/ as fuck would be cool.
>>
Who else 3-509 here laying low from chute detail rn lmao
>>
>>24706481

That's what training is for my man-it's not like they kick you out of a plane into sniper training from the start or some shit; they build you up and train you first. At least in the Marines; I've seen some legit planet sized guys in other branches.
>>
>>24706512

Not 3-509 but skating master here; once I avoided like any duties ever by never actually being marked on the squad roster so no one actually knew I existed there for awhile.
>>
Anyway, gotta sleep gents, it was a good thread, Air Force dude is your consultant now
>>
I'm 18. Signed up for the marine corps, combat support. I'll drive tanks, LAVs, humvees and stuff, and also man the guns.

My mom was in full support of my decision, my dad was reluctant to let me go (was 17 at the time so I needed both parents to sign to let me go) mom had to talk him into it. He still wishes that I'd join the navy instead like I initially planned to

I plan on saving most of the money I'll be paid for my service. living quarters food etc. Will be paid for me while I'm on duty so that'll help a lot. When I'm home I'll spend as little as possible. when I retire from the armed forces I'll use the money to get into the real estate business, buy a few houses fix em up and sell them for a profit, buy a few low income houses and rent them out.

I refuse to ever go to college I don't care if the military will lay for every last dime, I've spent 12 years doing this shit and I refuse to go through with 4+ more years, fuck that
>>
>>24703352
better than dying of a heart attack in your parents basement desu senpai.
>>
>>24706540

We're not so different you and I. We call it shamming though
>>
>>24702946
you must not know how a job works :/
>>
File: PSX_20140820_051323.jpg (2 MB, 2322x4128) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20140820_051323.jpg
2 MB, 2322x4128
>>24706209
Dope response. Resonates with me as that definitely fits my style and upbringing. Thanks for the response I'll consider it.

How much worse /differences between enlisted and officer?
>>
Anyone military police here?
>>
>>24706451
Would it be best to try to get a little fit before applying for the air force? I have a little bit of an engineering background too so I don't known if that would help.
>>
>>24706209
>>24706807
Also my education has me doing something either as like a fucking high school teacher or a researcher, which im not into because I don't want to work all day 7 days a week into my 60+s like every post doc or some shit I see doing. I see professors/docs working 7 days a week almost all day. That's neat and I like earning my pay, but I don't wanna do that for the rest of my life, blink one day and realize my life is over and all I got is papers and publishings to show for all the time that passed. You feel senpai?
>>
>>24702671
SOF?

Us civvies don't know all your fucking acronyms.
>>
>>24702770
>implying everyone who enlists even has a realistic chance of getting killed
>>
>>24706919

the high-speed shit, ranger regiment, navy seals, air force pj, marine recon
>>
>>24706867
Try doing HIIT cardio on a track and practice on pushups. if you can do like 20 pushups, focus on doing pyramid pushups, because you'll basically be doing that in basic for pt.
>>
>>24702780
>you have to be mentally prepared to get fucked with

Elaborate. Obviously there's yelling and shit from commanding officers, but do they actually humiliate people who haven't done anything?

Also I'm more curious about Air Force or Navy.
>>
Anyone have any experience with the FFL? I want to go Armor and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with native (Canada, so a tiny chance at a real tank [Leo2] or a good chance at getting buttfucked into an LAV) or fuck off to France (No Leclercs in the FFL but I could survive with an AMX 10 RC or an ERC-90.)
>>
>>24702818
I call bullshit. There's no way someone would witness that and not say anything.
>>
File: 1444782136729.jpg (47 KB, 468x351) Image search: [Google]
1444782136729.jpg
47 KB, 468x351
Threadly reminder that most branches will clear you for depression/anxiety disorders if they were mild. Don't let it deter you, branches say that it's an automatic disqualifier to keep things neat and orderly. If your disorder was on the more extreme sides of things, you'd need clearance from your doctors etc. to get you through.
>>
>>24704599
>Eyesight is too shit for the airforce.

Is everyone in the airforce trained in aviation? I have shit eyesight too, but I thought there were plenty of jobs that didn't require 20/20 vision.
>>
>>24704653
Why is the Navy more black?

If anything I'd think the Navy would scare them away.
>>
>>24707180
No unless your a pilot/co-pilot, electronics warfare officer, navigator, aircrew, or maintenance. otherwise you wont be dealing much with the aircraft up close.
>>
Question:

If a civilian in the US would shoot up a mosque, would this be considered a mass shooting or miltia duty?
>>
>>24704709
>Muhreen here; I can assure you the Marines are quite the opposite.

Then what branch do Chads join?

Everyone knows the Marines are the most physically and emotionally intensive branch, and along with the Army the branch most likely to actually see combat and get to shoot people.

I thought it went Air Force>Navy>Marines>Army from least to most Chad-filled.
>>
>>24707244
Damn son, that's edgy.
>>
File: 1444551511014.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1444551511014.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>>24707204
I guess the stereotype about black guys being shitty swimmers isn't all true.
>>
Do we have any 19K in this thread?
How's the old M1 Abrams handle?
>>
>>24707247
I think it goes Marines>Army>Air Force/Navy> Coast Guard it terms of the most Chads, but all branches have semi-robots and cyborgs. Not really that hard to get pussy in the military though unless your fully autistic.
>>
Make sure you don't get diagnosed with autism.

Good luck senpai
>>
>>24705569
That's the Defense Language Institute, right?

Were you studying languages?

Also I'm interested in hearing from anyone about linguistics or language jobs.
>>
>>24705639
>have you noticed that a fuckton of Navy guys are weebs?

Better than bronies.

Also not surprising considering Japan has so many bases.
>>
Can the military make me into an elite hacker? I am not really interested in guns.
I don't think I have a chance with the CIA or NSA. Which branch would be best?
Goal is be able to hack anything.
>>
>>24707504
Just join SigInt and be a glorified CB operator, jerk off while you listen to Russian all day.
>>
>>24702009
>United States Marine Core
>6048 flight equipment technician (parachute rigger)
>swore in a couple weeks before I graduated high school, shipped to boot a week after grad
>supportive, both were low key navy
>it's what you just called it. "Basic" it's meant to be passed. All a mind game to weed out the civilians who can't handle being yelled at up in their face or other "stressful" situations
Join the marines, do it for chesty
>>
>>24707521
Been a radio telescope operator (not sigint but similar). Literally involves getting payed for sitting on ass all day (and playing minecraft).
>>
>>24707571
it's corps not core
>>
I always get to these threads late.

>Navy
>pay denbts
>surface warfare officer
>lol commissioned last year
>with a lot of pride which was very sad
>worst experience of my life

I don't recommend the military to anyone who's not literally about to become homeless from lack of options.
>>
>>24707244
>implying muslims don't mostly kill other muslims
>>
>>24707571
>marine core

please be trolling
>>
>>24707841
>not wanting to be the core of the marines instead of the fringe
cmon m8
>>
spent whole being obsessed with joining the army
cant even join because of a minor disability
why
ill follow orders just like any other dumbass you will take
>>
here a stupid question for all army 11bs

whats the chance/selection of being a marksman as an 11b?
the only information I ever get on the internet about snipers is all special forces
>>
Does the navy really travel that much? Not american by the way
>>
>e4 in Air Force, going to be e5 April/may
>unhappy with local jobs, didn't want to go back to college, seemed like a good idea
>vehicle ops. I sit in an office and arrange transportation for people/cargo around base
>2011
>they were happy
>stressful, not due to any kind of rigorous training, just from slight social anxiety

If you join the Air Force, they will try to make you go to school. Just a heads up. I'm generally happy I joined though. I've yet to run into much of the bullshit a lot of people, even those lower ranking than me complain about. I'm happier here and make more money than when I was busting ass in a factory for 12 hours a day, and I do next to nothing right now.
>>
>>24706209
Salty Lance
I'm too tired to bother forming a very coherent post here for now, but you said to leave contact info for anyone that is interested.
Hit me up on Skype "cd7up_" with the underscore.
Got plenty of questions about joining USMC to shoot your way when I'm more lucid. Figure I may as well put my /fit/ know how and /k/ interests to use.
>>
File: 1448091937327.jpg (84 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1448091937327.jpg
84 KB, 720x960
IDF
Air force in anti air but in a few months i can switch to paratroopers

enlisted cause i had to
>>
>>24710080
>>>/gas/

Not the first time this was suggested, I see.
>>
>>24710133
shitskin please
>>
>>24710133
>us invades muslims who hadn't even attacked them
A-OK

>israel strategically retaliates against airstrikes on their civilians
"Apartheid!" "Occupation!" "Human rights catastrophe!"
>>
>>24702009
>letting your country kek you out of your life

Militaryfags are pathetic
>>
>>24710256
depends how bad your life was before
>>
>>24702009
OP I'm sure you already know, and you're prepared for a challenge. But the Drill Sgts. will literally break you. They will work you to fucking bone. They do this so you bond with your "brothers", but be prepared for some intense spartan shit (even though it's nothing close to spartans lol)
>>
>>24702009
>What branch are you in?
I'm in the Royal Canadian Regiment (infantry)
>Why?
Because I didn't want to go to school right away
>What's your job?
To neutralize the enemy in wartime and to train in peace time
>When did you enlist?
Last year
My dad was happy, mom didn't like it at all
>How was basic training? Just got out of it a few months ago. It's harder than I thought it would be, but it's nothing you can't push yourself through.
>>
>>24707074
>everyone lives by moral code
>war doesnt change how you view human life and death
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.