[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /smalltown/? You may only post in this thread if you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3
File: 34.jpg (34 KB, 580x436) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
34 KB, 580x436
Who here /smalltown/?
You may only post in this thread if you are from a town with less than 9,000 residents,

>tfw one store in all town
>tfw no downtown or town center
>tfw literally nothing
>>
1,222 reporting in
Fucking robot
>>
1169 here.
Pretty damn comfy desu
>main street has a corner store, a funeral home, the volunteer fire department for the surrounding rural areas, and an elementary school
>few streets surrounding with some churches and houses
>borough is mainly farmland
>>
>>24700910
8k reporting in.

What do you want?
>>
Just over 1200.
We got our first traffic light this year.
It's pretty dope.
>>
key west here. I don't even have a drivers license and I am 26. Never needed one cause the island is so small.
>>
>tfw live in a small town right outside of one of the top 10 biggest cities in the U.S.
>>
>>24701453
would hardly call it a small town. You guys get like hundreds of thousands of tourists every year.
>>
>9000
>small
There are cities in my state with less people. It should be 2000 and under.
>>
from a hamlet

>heart of town is dirt road crossing two-lane highway
>community centre that doubles as new-age Mennonite church and volunteer fire hall
>school k-8 there were about 80-90 kids when i was there
>used to be a little convience store, turned antique shop, turned i guess someone just lives there now
>abandoned inn along the highway that got abandoned when i was a teen but was so fucking dilapidated when i "urban ex" there as slightly older teen that idk how the weird guy and his mom that owned the place lived there maybe they were dead somewhere
>aaand that's it? Yeah. That's it. No shop, no gas station. Nothing.
>>
>>24701515

sorry, I forgot to mention the other, OG mennonite church in town
>>
>>24700910

/very much alive smalltown/ reporting in

We have a nice grocery store and a bar.

and around 500 people.
>>
1600 right here. I really fucking love it. Everything is so close and it just looks nice since it was established in the early 1700s
>>
400 here

Lived next to a town with 60
>>
Lived in Eagle RIver WI for like 4 months. Huge tourist trap, but only 1300 or so locals.

It sucked. Cant even buy alcohol on sundays and shit. fuck Wisconsin.
>>
>>24701529

also also blox

town was 150. Summer before last I did 5 months in a town of 80. The smaller the town, the weirder and more depravity there is. You can fuck a guy's mom and him and his brother will show up being all "we're here to see our father" true story blox happened to a friend of a friend of mine
>>
>>24701502

yea but only during certain times of the year. Once they're gone this place is very laid back and slow paced and everybody knows eachother.
>>
>>24700910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVLVaBECuc

Smalltown feels.
>>
>>24700910
>less than 2k people
>nothing but smelly farms in every direction
>neighbors dogs and roosters start going before the sun is up
>rednecks with beards roaming everywhere

Help me I want out I think I'm going to live with the Black's in the city slums
>>
I live in a tiny rural area in the South, it's very sad here, the military starts shooting when the hunters stop, and there's all sorts of weird critters out there who bother cows and break all of the ice in the little creek before I can go down there and warn them that it is a sin against Tengri
>>
On the outskirts of a 1100 person village. Pretty cool, even has a castle.
Shame about the internet speed though, else I would stay here.
>>
>2500 people
>on a peninsula covered in farms
>the biggest things in the county are the walmart and substance abuse
>>
Under 2k here. What have we got?
>Primary School
>Post office
>Tractor shop
>Food processing plant
>Sports ground
>Park
>Petrol station / garage

Urban sprawl is coming unfortunately.
>>
What is it like being a neet and living in small town? I'd imagine top comfy
>>
>>24703036
You can go outside without worrying much about normies.
>>
Grew up on a farm, nearest town was 5km away and had about 1000-2000 people living there. Glad i left, but maybe one day ill settle back into a farm
The town was ok, one side was really nice and the other got increasingly worse as you moved away from the nice side. These old towns are slowly dieing though
>>
my hometown was like 600
>post office
>restaurant
>fire station
>gas station
>used car dealership
>3 churches (2 closed down)
>elementary school (closed down)
>bank (closed down)
>>
>>24703036
I want to be one of the crack dealing negros in atl fuck this farm
>>
>>24703036
pretty shit
>slow as fuck internet, takes days to download games. forget playing them online competitively
>always bugs everywhere. when the asian Beatles come there is no avoiding them
>cold as fuck winter
>can't go anywhere without a car, so if no drivers license/car you are fucked
>nothing to really do outside of walking around trees
the worst has to be the type of normies, they're like hyper normies
the concept of "staying home and not getting fucked up on booze/drugs" goes right over their heads
>>
>>24703330
>>nothing to really do outside of walking around trees

/diy/. Admittedly it doesn't make up for no gf but .....
>>
>>24700910
Ouch, 12k, just sliding over the limit.

I'm trying to move to a smaller town though, maybe not "one store/gas station" level small, but hey who knows. It's pretty damn hard to up and move somewhere so small unless you're comfortably middle-class and accept one hell of a commute or you're able to go full NEET off some personal fortunes.
>>
>>24703036
Depends on why.
If you just want a quiet place to sit in your room and shitpost,I guess it's quiet most of the time.The internet's not great though,honestly I liked the city better for this.

If you want to fuck around outside,be a /k/ommando and walk out your back door and shoot stuff,yeah it's alright,you have to get to fairly large explosions before folks get nosy.Not much to see though.

If you want to avoid people,living on a farm like I do will avoid most of them but you're still going to have to go into town to buy things unless you grow and store a lot of food and make and fix everything else your self.It'd be a living but not one I'd dive into.

>>24703330
100% correct.
>>
>>24703432
>and walk out your back door and shoot stuff

>tfw your in the bath and hear shoot tinkling on the window or roof.
They have not smashed it thankfully. I could get them in trouble over it but I hate the rabbits digging up the place too.
>>
>>24700910
Vilonia Arkansas, 4,226 staying in Fort Worth for the week. It's fucking huge here.
>>
I have a friend from a town of 25k and he keeps on insisting he's from a small town. There is a 6 lane free going through it and he's no more than a 25 minute drive away from a city of 500k.

He won't accept the fact that he's just living in a suburb
>>
>>24703741
Technically he is but its nothing compared to ours
>>
>>24701414
8000 here too.

I'm completely okay with it. It's not like I'm a normie who would be out doing things in a bigger town center if there was one. It's reasonably comfy, and that's okay by me.
>>
coming from someone who lives in a city of over 4 million people, how in the fuck do you put up with living in such a tiny place?
>>
>>24703330
Not all small towns have shitty internet. I'm in a town of 8000 and the internet here is okay. The annoying thing is that there are fiber optic companies reaching out to smaller towns in the countryside, but my town is large enough for them to not be trying to connect us in while being small enough that no one really cares about giving us good speeds.
>>
>>24703407
Oh yeah,that's one of the other problems.You're even less likely to make it out here.

If you're looking for a religious farmer's daughter you might meet one,but most any girl you'd want to be your gf will be taken.If they're not taken,they'll probably see you as a cidiot.

If you want one who's any different,maybe an atheist or one who might actually enjoy reading a book she wasn't assigned in high school,if she's not taken she's going to be used goods with issues or jailbait if she hasn't left for a city yet.

>>24703526
I'm not sure what you're referring to,but I'd probably shoot it.I'd shoot the rabbits too,they kill my trees in the winter when they eat the bark if I don't remove them.
Speaking of which you get mice here when it gets cold and the fields they lived in are harvested,it's a yearly chore to remove them if you don't want mouse shit and piss all over in your house.
>>
>>24703825
Because I'm not some kind of raging normalfag who needs to do things involving other people all the time.
>>
I grew up in a town just over 900 in a foreign country.

It had a restaurant (until it closed), a bakery, a small police station, a bus stop and 3 bars. One guy owned half the buildings and was continually building new ones.
>>
>>24703741
That rustles my jimmies too, I know a couple chums from a comfortably, arguably upper-, middle-class San Francisco suburb who insist that they're "real country" because they drive pickup trucks.

You can tell when you meet true small-town people and true city people, I can't describe it but it's just a different way they look at life. City people don't slow down, I know a huge amount of city people and am fairly good friends with a lot of them (or related), I have never seen any of them just sit still and take in life -- even on vacation, or hanging out having beers at their place, there's always important work- or planning-related conversations, or research/studying/training to be done.

I can see why (average) income is so much higher in the cities, it's not just a larger and more mobile market, there's a mindset about it.
>>
>>24703893
>not sure what you're referring to

The neighbour farmer shooting and hitting my house. They shoot shot guns less than 50 feet away. Pretty sure that isn't legal.
>>
>>24703890
Honestly, it's nice, it forces me to waste less of my life on shitholes like this. Only downside is I actually have to go to a physical location to rent a DVD, because 90% of the time I can't stream anything even at low quality.
>>
>>24704000
I'm contemplating spending next summer in a place like that. I just really hope dial up is good enough to keep in touch with one person I know online.
>>
>>24703997
Oh that.Yeah that's not legal.Should collect proof and call the police.
>>
>>24703997
Talk to them, you autistic cunt. Say "Hey chums, you're hitting my house a lot, let's work out a solution because I also want rabbits to be dead, but I do not want to be as dead as the rabbits."

If that fails and they keep shooting like a couple cunts, tacky sheet-metal fence is the only suggestion I've got.
>>
>>24704000
Download stuff instead. I used to download full isos on dialup.
>>
7k population here

Were getting urbanized

>tfw 10 years ago there were hardly any homes in the area
>>
>>24704038
>dial up
Oh christ, man, that's /out/. Not even any sub-3G cellphone signals that'll still carry data?
>>
>>24704101
It's completely outside of cellphone reception. It is pretty /out/. I'm looking into any alternatives, but it doesn't look like I'll have much luck.
>>
>>24704079
I know that feel. I left town a few months ago, came back for Thanksgiving and there was a new extension to my neighborhood and there's like five new houses and more being built
>>
>>24704069
Don't like planning that far ahead. Plus, if the download is messed up (I don't use Netflix or any paid service, so if either the file's bad, the connection coughs and the download freezes, or my computer screws it up) then I just wasted hours of time.

At least it's cheap as balls to rent new movies or even entire seasons of shows these days. Redbox at the local convenience store down the street, plus I can grab tendies while I'm out.
>>
3K here. Feels bas when half population is Mexican. I'm not racist I just like to feel like I'm part of my community. Also gym is in next town over.
>>
>>24704038
>dialup
>good enough

I had it until 2008,I used to read science fiction novels waiting for pages to load.Like whole novels.
If you want to watch a video,any video at all,set aside that phone line for the whole day.
>>
>>24704145
I know satellite's balls-pricy and not too fast, but is it worth it? I know that, at least a few years ago, a lot of mariners used satellite.
>>
>>24704161
>the connection coughs and the download freezes, or my computer screws it up) then I just wasted hours of time.

wget -c friend.
>>
>>24704208
>>24704223
As I said, I'm going to look into whatever options there are before accepting the necessity of dialup. But if that's my only option, I'll try to minimize my internet use and stay outside a lot. I'd be out in the boonies where I could sit in a lawn chair smoking weed and staring at my hypothetical chickens.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (38 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
38 KB, 560x560
>>24703893
>religious farmer's daughter
>>
>>24704317
Also you build a dialup box with IPcop, smoothwall or similar and run squid. Hang a wireless router off that. You can ssh into it and run wget on it too.
>>
>>24700910
>one fast food place
>two dollar stores
>three gas stations
>two grocery stores
>one diner
>one legit restaurant
>one coffee shop
>pop of 7k
>>
Here's your farmers daughter :^)
>>
Since a few other people are counting, I guess I might as well.
>5 fast food joints (all within a few hundred feet of each other, a few miles outside town center is the highway, and there's one of those highway fast-food-and-gas-station meccas at the exit.)
>one dollar store
>4 gas stations
>3 grocery stores
>several "restaurants," don't know where to draw the line between 'diner' and 'bar' and whatever else
>one Starbucks and one locally-owned coffee shop, might be another locally-owned one now, I don't go to those places too often
>even the local community college doesn't have a coffee shop

>population 12k, majority but not overwhelming majority of independent adults (even early-twenties) commute between 50 and 150 miles
>one of my friends used to drive 35 miles to work part-time for minimum wage

>i would never exaggerate facts or tell half-truths on a European luggage-carrying panel
>>
>>24704986
fuck it

would
>>
>>24705177
mid size town
>>
>>24700910
>less than three thousand
>two gas stations/restaurants, hotdog stand, pizza place, failing ice cream place and a hair place
>also maine so that store with a bunch of live seafood

I dont understand why we have two gas stations next to each other, and they both make pizza while being next to the pizza place
>>
>>24705177
ahhh the grand ol west
>>
>lived in a super small town in New England
>only 1 store and 1 gas station
>both closed at 10 pm
>no car so couldn't go anywhere except walk to work
>place was driving me nuts
>moved back to Florida
>living in a bigger town but full of hicks and niggers
>>
The total population of our island is 30000.

Why even live?
>>
>>24700910
about 2600 here
>>
>>24700910
About 3.338 million here, what's up?
>>
No wonder everyone sucks on this board
>>
>>24703036
Nothing really to do but fish and get drunk on NEET-priced malt liquor in the woods. I'm in New England so winters are pretty long and terrible as well
>>
>>24700910
>Straya
>Coastal suburb
>2k people
>No stores
>.........
>For 20km
>>
>>24710511
Where abouts? I live out of some rare Sunny Coast "town"
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.