[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You ever think about becoming a vagabond, anon? It's a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7
File: 6rVK3ou.jpg (56 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
6rVK3ou.jpg
56 KB, 960x600
You ever think about becoming a vagabond, anon?

It's a lifestyle I've never seen discussed on here, although it seems like it would be the answer to many of /r9k/'s problems.

So many of us are wasting the primes of our lives by sitting around, stagnant and inadequate. We are driven by comparing our lives to a script set by society. Go to university, get an internship, pay, pay, pay, then hopefully get a job to make all that money back. Spend your weekends getting drunk with friends, and if you don't have friends, then "fake it till you make it." Society has its way with us, if we don't fit in it has its ways of whittling down our self-conscious until we do.

Why choose to take part in this? Because it's comfy and familiar. Even if society makes us miserable, we keep coming back to it. It's masochism.

What I'm talking about is selling everything you own and skipping town with nothing but a backpack full of survival gear. Hopping a freight train or hitchhiking away, putting as much distance between you and your past as possible. Hell, you could even drive- I've lived out of a car for an extended period of time before, it's really not that bad. Go wherever it is you've always wanted to go, and don't look back.

Yeah, you'd have to abandon a lot of the comforts of a typical life. But is having a warm bed and a TV to watch worth being a member of society? The constant pressure to bring in money, the constant rejection by your peers for factors you can't control? Is it worth the suicidal thoughts? How come suicide has always been a more popular option than running away?

The way I see it, I want to fill my short life with as much adventure and memories as possible. I'm sick of constantly measuring my success with a structured way of life. If this means being homeless, or working craigslist gigs, or sleeping in an empty boxcar, I'm down with it. The world is a beautiful place, and I'd hate to waste my time on it stationary and depressed.
>>
>>24699135
That kind of lifestyle only works for charismatic normies
>>
It's convenient in the US, less so elsewhere because of either a language barrier, limited landlocked space, and/or closed borders
I would love to try it out some time though
>>
>>24699249
Why? You don't have to talk to anyone?
>>
>>24699135
Spent August-December last year homeless driving from minnesota to California with long pitstops in Denver and La Veta CO. I drove through the deserts and the mountains and shit. It almost forces you or like, allows you to talk to strangers and shit because you know you'll never see them again. There are so many upsides to it. Only downside is that it usually has to end sometime.
Overall 9/10 experience. It was absolutely wonderful, beautiful, and freeing.
>>
File: 1439429403831.png (845 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
1439429403831.png
845 KB, 960x717
I just couldn't take smelling like shit all the time
>>
OP, how do you figure i'd pay for gas and shit if I left in my car? At best I just drive 40 hours west to california, but even then I'd eventually just have to get a job to keep eating.
>>
>>24699283
You do unless you are mega rich or somehow look saintly
>>
>>24699342
Craigslist gigs, man. If you're lucky, you could make a couple hundred over a weekend.
>>
File: 1427305242318.jpg (22 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1427305242318.jpg
22 KB, 320x320
Seeing the world is no different than looking at pictures if nobody's there to enjoy it with you.

I'd love to go around the country looking at all the endangered small towns from Stephen King adaptations, but all I could do when I get there is "Yep. This looks like I thought it would."
>>
>>24699397
Does that translate to sucking cock for a living and only making enough for a peasant life?
>>
>>24699428
To each his own, I guess. I don't feel that way at all. It's easy for me to find beauty in nature that can't be conveyed through a screen.
>>
>>24699428
>has never left home state alone

I'll just say you're completely wrong anon
>>
>>24699435
Sucking cock? Not unless you're into that. Only making enough for a peasant life? Yeah, that's kinda the point. A vagabond lifestyle doesn't include many material things.
>>
>>24699515
I mean is you won't get regular craigslist jobs unless they are blowobs
>>
>>24699397
define gigs, what the fuck do you do?
>>
>>24699586
Go to your local Craigslist right now, there are tons of gigs posted. Stuff like moving help, cleaning, gardening.
>>
I would if I had any balls

maybe one day...
>>
>>24699597
"Gig" section on craigslist. one off odd jobs. me and my friend actually did these for scratch last summer.

they won't pay the bills but if you're lucky finding work and keep busy they can keep you fed
>>
>>24699632
>Dec 2 Webcam Models Wanted. We Pay Daily
>Dec 2 Seeking genuine Female models for adult video work map
>Dec 2 Fun Female Cleaner Required
>Dec 2 TV/TS/CD models wanted map
>Dec 2 Female adult models wanted map

These are the current top 5 in the jobs section, is a gigs section and American thing?
>>
The only thing turning me away from becoming a hobo/homeless is hygiene, specifically I like to poo in the loo and know that I can wipe and clean my ass when needed. I have a feeling that aspect of homelessness would be a nightmare.

Also, I'd pretty much be forced to wear the same clothes for months if not years.

I wouldn't mind having to sleep outside, nor would I mind the loneliness since I very much enjoy being alone, but the thought of having to shit in public and constantly be dirty puts me off.
>>
I think about this a lot, seeing as my life isn't going the way I thought it would. I have it semi planned out; I'll buy a bunch of medicines with every paycheck, stock up on cheap soap and other toiletries, shave my hair so i don't need to worry about washing it as often, buy a couple of sd cards for my phone and fill them with shit to read and watch, i have a decent amount of books that should keep me occupied for a while, and just find a normal not shitty part of manhattan to squat in.

The fact that I live in a big city definitely will make it easier(finding ways to make money, convenience stores everywhere, sympathetic friends to couch-surf if worst comes to worst), and I'd only leave the city if I really wanted to or had people to go on adventures with.
>>
>>24699712
looking at mine right now under gigs i see posted today:

plumbing
"someone to go public skating with "
tile setting
'short term holiday work'
financial writer
landscaping placing rocks and boulders
labourer needed
video editing
web design
BDSM model
and a whole bunch of cleaning jobs

canada btw
>>
>>24699792
i wasn't talking the piss those were the genuine top 5 of where I live in the Jobs the next lot are the same.

props to Canada
>>
File: 1447306044653.jpg (27 KB, 186x189) Image search: [Google]
1447306044653.jpg
27 KB, 186x189
It gets dull, OP.

I've traveled a lot. It doesn't matter what you see, it gets old. Without the money to enjoy the food or scenery, I'd imagine it would be even duller. Whoope, you saw the Rockee Mountains, now what? You're homeless, hungry, and in poor health. You have no where to sleep, No where to go. Your life is just one active sprint from shelter to shelter or from town to town. ( Mostly to escape the police; there are laws in place to punish hobos)

You don't know how far away things are until you start walking. It stresses your mind to walk, walk, walk. People think less of you when you're homeless so you'll see a lot of pity and not a lot of help. Just like in the real world, if you don't have money you're boned. Sounds romantic, is frustrating and awful. A car is an improvement but I hope you have the gas to run it.

The best homeless life is just to find somewhere comfy and live out of your car. That's it. You'll find yourself resting into some routine, probably a hungry and smelly one.
>>
>>24699135
How would I afford food though m8?
>>
File: Human choise cuts.jpg (393 KB, 781x1024) Image search: [Google]
Human choise cuts.jpg
393 KB, 781x1024
I have thought about it, then I came to the conclusion backpacking might be better, especially in Asian countries where things are cheaper.

>>24699929
pic related
>>
>>24699771
pooing in nature isn't so bad. Squat pooping is actually healthier. Just be sure to pack toilet paper and maybe baby wipes in your backpack. The tricky part though will be finding a shower each day. Some hotels will rent out their showers for like 10 bucks I heard.
>>
>>24699135
I did this for 9 months in Europe. AMA
>>
>>24700279

Does Human meat really taste like chicken?
>>
>>24700328
fuck europe

and fuck you for going/living there
>>
>>24700354
Why? In the Balkans I could live for $15 a day, that's food, my room, and some alcohol.
>>
>>24700353

I heard it actually tastes like pork, supposedly because our muscle and adipose cells are really similar to those in a pig.

Also check this out
http://imgur.com/a/DBK0m
>>
>>24700353
It tastes more like pork, even though it looks like red meat. But I think it's because we eat so much sugar and whatnot, kinda gives us a different taste.

>>24700385
Where in Balkans were you? Isn't 90% of the population there criminals?
>>
>>24699135
Fucking this.

This summer (when im done with my bsc) im gonna say fuck it and leave society. I was born into a wealthy family so my mom gave me a lot of money and im gonna spend that on ~100 acres of land out in nowhere and live there in my van and build a permanent structure over the summer. Then im gonna live of the interest of the rest of my money. One day i might write a book and due lectures about my comfy as fuck life.
>>
>>24700454
>Where in Balkans were you?
All over. In the 9 months I visited every ex Yugoslav country and did quite a bit of traveling
>Isn't 90% of the population there criminals?
They aren't pussified politically correct faggots like the rest of the western world. If you're being a faggot you'll get your ass beat and the cops will probably just laugh at the situation, if that's what you mean. I however find this to be a very good thing.
>>
Yeah, for years I've wanted to travel by hitchhiking or public transit. I used to think about it constantly. I even took some day trips to see what it was like, I went for ten-mile walks with different stuff in my backpack to figure out what sort of things I could take and what I couldn't. I went out in warm and hot weather wearing different sets of clothes to see what clothes I could wear that would keep me warm but be easily portable and not too warm when it's not cold out.
I was all ready to do it. I still am, I have stuff that I could grab and just go. Even a valid train ticket that will get me a couple of towns away to start off.

But I just kinda lost the faith I guess. I think I realized that no matter how far I go nothing will change. I still want to do it though but I don't have the heart.
>>
Never outside of fantasy. Too much danger and other problems.

But I do fantasize about traveling in trains with a best friend/mentor.
>>
>>24700470
How much you got mate?
>>
>>24700735
$200k savings and ~$800k-$1.2M in a fund i can acces until this summer
>>
>>24699135
I wouldn't know where to go or what to do. I would have to be whisked away or else I would just wander for a while and then go home. Honestly, the kind of adventure I want is a fantasy adventure in a different universe with different laws. One where magic, or something mystical, exists and I can learn about it. Also one where people are more friendly than they are in this world.
>>
Sometimes I think about hopping on my motorcycle with a backpack and luggage bag loaded with some clothes and other little supplies like a sleeping bag and tent and just escaping it all for a little while. Maybe someday.
>>
>>24700842
holy shit. that kind of money would literally solve all my problems, forever.
>>
>>24701066
>>24700842
*Cant acces until this summer

>holy shit. that kind of money would literally solve all my problems, forever.

Money are not everything but im sure am happy that i have the money
>>
>>24700385
because i'd rather not live in a shitty, third world Slav country surrounded by shitty food, and shitty people.
>>
>>24700933
>Also one where people are more friendly than they are in this world.
backpack in rural europe, outside the big cities. people in general are very friendly unless you look like a thug or a darkie.
>>
A lot of homeless people just end up in cities with no money to get anywhere else. Once that happens you are pretty much stuck. There are no food pantries in bum fuck nowhere you have to go to the city. Now that things are suburbanized too you can't even get to the middle of nowhere easy.

Hunt you say? It's 2016 we are all here because we didn't learn how to be men. We certainly don't know how to hunt.

What's the end game. Say you do it your whole life you won't be young and fit forever. If you are weak you will be preyed on. Eventually die in unfavorable conditions, probably a combination of starvation, dehydration, and cold.

I used to think like that op, but now I see why someone would say fuck it all together.
>>
I always thought about it is it possible to live in a tent in or around cities
>>
>>24701507
Suit yourself. Slav bros are the best though. To me I'd much rather live an honest poor life in a country men are still men and your country has pride and loves its people. The reason I'm depressed and did this in my first place is because of how shitty where I live is. Rampant feminism and slutty women with no morals and everywhere you look you're told your shit for being a straight white male.
>>
>>24702283
It depends what country you live in. Some countries have laws against this. Aside from the legality, it is completely possible. Especially if you have a vehicle.
>>
>>24701607
>suburbanized
I'm not even homeless, and I detest suburbs. Makes it so that anyone living in a city has to drive hours to get somewhere even moderately "remote," by which I mean anything less urban than a city park or a "river" with concrete banks and "Do Not Swim - Polluted Waters" signs on the fence around it.

Dallas is where dreams go to die.
>>
>>24703523
Different countries I have no idea, but in Burgerland any cop in a bad mood can tell you to move along or even put you in the back of the car if he's really pissed. There's a lot of gray areas regarding living in a vehicle, but to take advantage of them I believe your vehicle has to be street-legal and all that. Which is money, obviously. And if a cop gets pissy at you when you're "living" in a non-legal vehicle on property where you don't have the legal right to establish residence, I'm sure they can practically gut you.

But, if your car's street-legal, just move it every now and then and don't park anywhere that's either private property or has signs instructing you not to. I think there are still technicalities they can get you on if you really piss them off, so just don't break any other laws (don't deal drugs or anything, christ, that's just begging for police involvement) and develop a good sense for where you're not wanted. Generally, unless you're disturbing the peace or sleeping in front of a daycare in your panelside van or something, the cops take an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to you. Which is another reason it really helps if your car is both legal and operational, moving it even half a mile or so every day or two helps keep you "out of sight" a lot.
>>
>>24699135
If I wasn't so attached to the internet/anime/vidya I definitely would.
>>
>>24699135
On a board with some of the least self-sufficient people ever.
>>
>>24703755
Also, Burger East Coast or even Seattle may be different, I mainly have knowledge of Nevada and northern California stuff. Seattle's actually incredibly homeless-friendly, I've heard, some of the 'homeless' people there even have addresses in semi-permanent 'camps'.

Stay away from established homeless camps and gatherings if you can, though. It's a rough crowd, the same guy is just as likely to get high on something he doesn't know the name of and stab you because he thinks you're FBI as he is to high-five you and give you a beer. Most people are homeless for a reason, and that reason is often because they are not psychologically stable enough to maintain a job and/or residence.
>>
I did this after my gf left me. Travelled the SW US. Pretty cool, especially New Mexico
>>
my great uncle was a vagabond. he rode trains throughout the us looking for work from what I know. he ended up being stabbed to death over some petty argument by 2 black dudes. thats all i know.
>>
>>24704050
>>24703838
how is AZ and how homeless friendly is it?
>>
File: 1448546896124.png (38 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
1448546896124.png
38 KB, 500x419
I've been thinking a lot about doing this. My only worry is about my family while I'm gone. My brother is physically disabled, and my mom can't do physical chores or housework (shoveling snow, cleaning, w/e) since her heart attack. My dad works abroad for months-long stretches at a time. I worry that if I were to take off things at home would suffer.

I feel trapped, and it's awful. I will likely have to live with or near my brother/family until they die or I do. When I think about this, I feel horribly guilty because I don't want my family to suffer, but I feel like I need to leave before I off myself.
>>
>>24699135
>You ever think about becoming a vagabond, anon?

I've long considered it. Problem is 1) I'm poor already, and 2) How am I going to survive for any amount of time with my grotesque looks and horrible social skills?

Plus, travelling with no money probably isn't much fun. I think I'd just be worried constantly.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.