[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> death erases everything you do like it never happened how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: 1444069184239.jpg (14 KB, 451x600) Image search: [Google]
1444069184239.jpg
14 KB, 451x600
> death erases everything you do like it never happened

how do you reconcile this?
>>
>>24690780
reincarnations

theres over 8 billion people
you are here now chances are you'll be here again but maybe as another faggot
>>
>>24691296
All my life i've hoped this was/wasn't true
on one hand I could be reincarnated as a qt pi or a rich kid
on the other I could be reincarnated as a dog or a poor kid in a 3rd world country
>>
File: 1439716224384.jpg (18 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
1439716224384.jpg
18 KB, 250x239
>>24691296
> you are here now chances are you'll be here again
thats some really compelling evidence
>>
Death doesn't erase everything you have done or did.
>>
>>24690780
Reconcile it with what? It is not inconsistent with anything, it's true.
>>
>>24690780
>he isn't glad his life will be erased when he dies

FUCKING normie...>>24690780
>>
>>24690780
You rejoice, life is cruel and full of cringe worthy moments. Isn't it relaxing to know it will all be over one day?
>>
File: 1447697253197.jpg (30 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
1447697253197.jpg
30 KB, 333x333
>>24690780

I reconcile this with the fact that this makes everything have the same value. I can do whatever I want and it doesn't matter in the long run. Be it good or bad.
>>
>>24690780
Death only erases everything if your life initially had no meaning. Plenty of dead people that are still remembered.
>>
>>24691480
your individual death might not, but death as a concept literally does
>>
>>24691514
This.

A person I respect once said, to my surprise, that in times of stress, it comforts them to remember that no matter what they're going through, their body will continue existing right until their death. I found that odd. I am comforted by that it will end after fifty years at most.
>>
take comfort that in the grand scheme everyone will be gone and not remembered when our race goes extinct.
>>
>>24691549
That's a nice sentiment. I mean, if you think about it, and believe in the Big Bang, then everything you've ever seen is made of the same recycled material from that initial point in time. Nobody really dies, they just get recycled.
>>
>>24691486
>>24691500
>>24691514
>>24691515
so why do anything

>>24691533
why would it matter?
>>
I don't reconcile it.

I just lie to myself, just like everyone else in this thread and world
>>
>>24691614
That's just language games people invent to feel better: 'oh you don't really die, you just continue to live in other people's atoms, in cow shit, and the as Wandering Atom in the interstellar space'. Nonsense. Death is real and it means that you're afraid it means: the end.
>>
I used to get stressed as fuck by this thought. Now I think it's quite comforting, nothing matters so while we're here let's enjoy ourselves or at least not worry about something we will never actually experience.
>>
>>24691664
>>24691665
thanks for some fucking rational answers to these faggots
> hurr you never really die
> hurr im gonna be remembered
fuck off idiots
>>
>>24691665
I'm not saying your conscious gets recycled, I'm saying literally your body. Your body will break down and continue to feed the earth and the environment, as countless species have done before.
>>
>>24691648
>so why do anything
If you want to live a life of apathy knowing it won't matter in the end that's fine, it's not going to effect me. However, I prescribe to the Absurdist thought that your life is a struggle and should be enjoyed for what it is. I will do my best to appreciate it.
>>
>>24691544
How does a concept have the power to change anything in the real world?
>>
>>24691648
>why do anything

This is an odd question. You have accepted that something doesn't exist, but you still expect there to be something else to compensate for that fact. There is nothing that corresponds to that longing. People's desires, goals, and 'I'm doing this because...'s are determined by physics, evolution, and so on. That's the only meaningful way to reply to 'why do...' questions. You do things because your ideas and desire to do them have been determined; that's all.
>>
>>24691733
You are the only real thing.

Well technically I am the only real thing but I'm speaking for you.
>>
I find it weird to think that as soon as I die, all of time will pass and I won't experience it.
>>
>>24691677
> nothing matters so while we're here let's enjoy ourselves
i assume death makes it as if before you were born. why would it matter at all if you lived a life of misery or happiness. you won't remember. you won't exist.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 463x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 463x458
>>24691733
It doesn't have to change anything, it only has to change you, you ableist defeatist deterministic faglord
>>
>>24691766
You're right, in the end you won't exist, your brain is what makes you process thought and once you die that's it. My main reasoning is that while I'm alive I'd much rather be comfy and happy than moping around about something which is an inevitable fate of everyone on the planet.

Yes nothing matters, but to me that makes everything I do more precious to the me that exists now.
>>
>>24691746
don't you think thats a problem?

>>24691733
i said your individual death wont stop others remembering you, but they too will die, and any effect you have will die, and this planet will die..etc
>>
>>24691791
>The only understanding of the universe that will be useful to you is your own understanding.

You can always rely on druggies to say something that's meaningless in itself and harmful in terms of consequences ('oh, it's only your own perceptions that matter', implicitly keeping people from acknowledging objective understanding and seeking it).
>>
Don't cry, Ian .
>>
>>24691837
are you the suicidal anti-buddha guy?
>>
>>24691815
my problem is i can't get past that loop
> i feel shit
> i should do something to feel better
> oh, i'll die and my feels or life won't even matter
> do nothing

you need some delusion to get out of this. like faith or some shit
>>
>>24691837
If that's what you want to think, then cool.
>>
>>24691533
they will be forgotten eventually. and then they're gone forever. So it really makes no difference how long they were remembered for. Human civilization rose and will fall in the blink of a cosmic eye
>>
>>24691890
True, but while we're here, wouldn't you want to do your best to help humanity and be remembered for it? Thinking, "oh who will care?" is pretty faggy t b h
>>
>>24691648
>so why do anything?

Read some Camus, might inspire you or it might not. Go with "The Myth of Sisyphos", explains it best.
Anyway, a short rundown.
You basically have two choices. You can opt out of the raw deal and suicide, makeing a leap of faith that there is something on the other side of death. Or you can live your life. Here you have again two choices. You can structurize your life and chase after certain goals, makeing achieveing those goals your reason to live. You could also embrace the fact, that life has no easy answers in regards to the reason for it and simply make the best out of it.
The best is in this context a little different from what one might think. When you see that nothing makes sense and has no inherent value, you stop categorizeing things you do by quality. Every action in life has the same objective quality, when looked at from an absurdist POV. Liveing your life in the best way possible then becomes about the quantity of your experiences. You live to experience what you can in life.

tl.dr. You either have the guts to kill yourself, or you chase after arbitrary goals or you do what you can makeing the best out of your sisyphosesque life.
>>
>>24691476
On an infinite timeline, anything that is, will be again. It's just configurations man.
Seems more legit than to believe in an old magic bearded dude in the sky.
>>
>>24691890
the singularity is our salvation
>>
>>24691828
>don't you think thats a problem?

'Problem' is a very loose term. A problem can be defined, for instance, as a hole in the hull of a ship, a personality trait one wants to get rid of if one's been led to define it as undesirable, or maybe a paradox like [1]. Or a mathematical conjecture or something. But it has to be unambiguous enough. I see no meaningful criteria to solve or further disambiguate what I said in >>24691746.

>>24691889
>If that's what you want to think

It literally says 'the only understanding that's useful is your own'. This trivially implies that 'other people's understandings are not useful'. If you think that druggies ever communicate such sentiments explicitly, without masking them as good-intentioned, platitudinous advice of 'be critical', you are woefully mistaken.

>>24691865
If you think that posters' identity is relevant, either leave 4chan or take up a trip.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox
>>
>>24691982
>If you think that posters' identity is relevant, either leave 4chan or take up a trip.

top kek

confirmed for suicidal anti-buddha guy
>>
>>24692000
If I wanted to point attention to myself, I would have complied with any of the numerous requests of me to get a trip.
>>
>>24691925
>is pretty faggy
Nobody cares if it's "faggy", that's the point.
>>
>>24691828
So you are saying that someone remembering you is what makes a difference?
>>
>>24691950
>Every action in life has the same objective quality

What kind of person is attracted to such claims, I wonder.
>>
>>24691950
There is also the possibility of just doing nothing.
>>
>>24690780
You just recognize that nothing matters.

Also, Alan Watts,
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giZN0ZuDERY
>>
File: 1435293231871.webm (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1435293231871.webm
1 MB, 320x240
>>24692021
you already draw enough attention to be recognizable m8
>>
>>24692189
>Alan Watts

Ah, yes. The great stiller of reasons.
>>
>>24692189
Here comes the anti Buddhism poster
>>
>>24692886
he's been here for a while familia

sometimes i wonder if he's the one posting watts just so he can respond
>>
>>24691925
>is pretty faggy

Says the infinitesimal being who will eventually be ultimately erased by death
>>
File: 1448939704571.jpg (29 KB, 264x379) Image search: [Google]
1448939704571.jpg
29 KB, 264x379
By realizing that nothing you ever did was of value anyway and coming to the understanding that you are not important, so being worried about being important is foolish.

Literally nothing exists for "a greater cause". Whether everything is scripted to happen or not, you breathe, eat, shit, and die like the clump of tiny cells you are on a universal scale, and that's it.

Being able to accept these things are the only way to achieve true happiness.
>>
File: [Homu clap].jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
[Homu clap].jpg
394 KB, 1920x1080
Well seeing as google keeps track of almost everything we do these days everything about you isn't completely gone after death. Part of you, being your internet searches and history will live on forever through googles databases. so even 10 years after you kick the bucket and only a few people remember you google will still remember everything you did. although the information will probably never directly be accessed by another human it will probably be compiled for some research or search entries.

Honestly death used to be a lot more absolute before the age of information and technology. back then it only took 50-75 years after you died for all traces and memories of you to be gone with exception to a tombstone and random papers in some lost files. Now it seems like half your lifes story and history is stored on computers that will keep the information forever.
>>
I do nothing, so nothing can be erased
>>
I love that. Makes me feel like life is meaningless and I lose fear and regrets.
>>
>>24690780

Nothing really matters that much you may leave a small mark on history but...

Get the fuck over yourself.

That's how. Humans are so damn temperamental.
>>
>>24690780
>how do you reconcile this?
By embracing the sweet kiss of death of course
>>
>>24691340
What would happen if you were reincarnated as an evil person?
>>
Life is pointless and has no meaning. You are none in this universe and will never be one either.
>>
>>24690780
It makes me feel free
>>
>>24690780

First time I've seen Ian Beale on 4chan desu
>>
I love it. No matter how much I fuck up, in death there is peace and resolve.
>>
>some loser sitting in his room and watching anime for 25 years while masturbating will be erased like it never happened
Tough shit
>>
File: suffering.jpg (190 KB, 1268x1695) Image search: [Google]
suffering.jpg
190 KB, 1268x1695
>>24690780
I don't. I'm freaking the fuck out and abusing drugs, while trying to pretend I'm a functional human being.
it's not going very well
>>
Im a med student. I hope this isnt true because if I can't keep this goal of becoming a doctor, I will have no purpose to be honest
>>
>>24695457
oh, boy. you are in for a wild ride.
I had an existential crisis in my first year and still haven't bounced back fully. working your ass off is a lot harder, once you realize how pointless this whole "life" meme is.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.