[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Emotional responses to death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: coffin-450x246.jpg (72 KB, 450x246) Image search: [Google]
coffin-450x246.jpg
72 KB, 450x246
I wanted to know if I wasn't the only one who experienced this type of situation.

>My 82 year old granddad died last week from heart failure.
>I had a really strong connection with him, and he was someone who gave me motivation and inspiration when I was young.
>Upon hearing the news together with my other family members in the hospital, all my relatives were extremely depressed (as you would imagine) crying, screaming and overall genuinely distraught. (even my 10 year old cousin who hadn't known him for as long as I did was crying for hours on end)
>However, for some reason, I did not share their feelings of depression. I didn't cry, I didn't scream, nor was I displaying any anger. I simply stood there with no alteration in expression, as if it was nothing major.
>My family's behaviour over the next few months changed completely. They were constantly breaking down in tears, often isolating themselves from everyone, and yet I was carrying out my daily routines with little to no feelings of depression or mournfulness, even though I had a very close bond with him when he was alive.
>My sister and my cousins are now accusing me of being spiteful and cruel for not wanting to speak at his funeral (i generally didn't feel like i wanted to) and suggesting that I never cared about him because I seem to be unaffected by it all.
>I'm now starting to become sad and frustrated too because my family don't seem to understand what I'm feeling or going through. But I don't want to tell them because I'm fearful that they won't understand my feelings.

Has anyone else had the same type of experience or am I alone?
>>
I have the exact same response as you when it comes to death. Me and my grandparents were really close but when they died I didn't even cried or had any strong emotions about their deaths. Rest of my family and relatives did tho but not me, I first felt some kinda stupid. Have to say that's nothing wrong to feel like this because we all react differently. Think some of us has an easier approach when it come to just death, of course it's sad when people dies but it's part of life.

You live to die and when you take your first breath as a newborn, you're when breath away of death.
>>
You are completely normal and somewhat more sane than your family. Dying is part of every single life on earth. Tell them you are happy from the time you spent with him. Everton dies when their time comes. You have accepted death as a natural part of life and have no reason to fear it. Also if you want to get them off your back easy, just tell them that you are certain that he's in a better place and probably really happy. Normies love this "afterlife is heaven" thing.
>>
I experienced the same with my dad 3 months ago. It felt odd to barely react while everyone else in the room was crying, it made me feel 'defective'. I miss him, but it's a pretty mild feeling and I haven't cried about his passing yet.
>>
They're jealous of you. You were able to stay strong while they were so weak. It's normal to cry at the death of a loved one. It's normal to show little to no emotion towards it. What's not normal is to hysterically cry for months on end triggered by the littlest thing, especially for a more natural, age related death. Notice how they'll always need to show you how upset they are. While they may mourn in private, they always need to let you know oh I just saw grandpas jizz rag and just couldn't take it anymore

You don't owe anybody but yourself your feelings towards a deceased loved one. It's not your problem that they can't handle that you were able to make such an easy transition. They just want you to share in their misery.
>>
I cried more when my cat died than when my nan died.

Saw that cat everyday for like 16 years.

My nan died literally an hour after i got back from 5 months in Afghanistan though, so in all honesty i was really god damn tired and only had two weeks before i went back, so i played counter strike and went to the funeral, not many emotions though, more numb than anything.
>>
>>24690713
I feel the same as you. Death is a normal part of life. Did the rest of your family expect your grandfather to live forever?
>>
>>24690713
>not wanting to speak at his funeral (i generally didn't feel like i wanted to)

I know you came here expecting a hugbox of robots agreeing with you, but you're honestly a lazy millennial faglord for this part.

It's all about paying respect to him at that particular moment. You could have done some simple deal where you walk up and say your second line of greentext, but you went "lol nah m8 I don't feel like it today".
>>
>>24691311
>You are completely normal and somewhat more sane than your family.

can you tip your shitty fedora even harder?
you're embarrassing.
>>
OP please PLEASE only use green text for quotes and bullet point stories.
This is the the kind of post you write if you're not using green text.
>>
Hi, Mersault.

Don't shoot up any Arabs at the beach.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.