[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you think the "Halo effect" affects yo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: halo-effect-revealed.png (252 KB, 409x305) Image search: [Google]
halo-effect-revealed.png
252 KB, 409x305
How much do you think the "Halo effect" affects your daily life?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
>>
I'm master chief so a lot
>>
It no doubt affects everyone to some degree, whether they realize it or not.
>>
File: 1258783659550.jpg (12 KB, 200x157) Image search: [Google]
1258783659550.jpg
12 KB, 200x157
>>24682467

I think it literally controls everything humans do and they're so unaware of it's depressing.

I have a facial deformity, it works the opposite way too. If 28 years of this has taught me anything it's humans always, always, always judge each other by what they look like. It takes way to much willpower than your average human is willing to put out to get over it, especially if they benefit from it.

Humanity has probably screwed itself out of a lot of advances because they didn't like the way someone looked so they ignored them, even if they had a great idea that could change the world for the better.

That being said, since we aren't going to change any time soon I think it should be more acceptable for people, men especially to change the way they look, through plastic surgery and stuff like that.

We keep insisting we're not shallow to save face, that's part of it too. APPEARING good natured. It compounds the Halo effect.
>>
Just watch and see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTwSSTWfwuM
Keep in mind that society has placed even more value on looks since this video was made.
>>
>>24682616

Can I see your deformity?
>>
>>24682656

No. It's a cleft lip and palate though, you can google for examples. It also leads to other parts of my face/skull being messed up, so my hearing is messed up and my jaws are way smaller than they should be.

This actually leads to my speech being slurred a bit, I produce too much salvia for my mouth. I've gotten accused of being "drunk" all the time because of the occasional slur. I didn't even drink alcohol until I was 22 and I barely even do it. But I get accused of it all the time, THATS Halo Effect too, basically instead of seeing it's just part of my handicap, people AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME it's the "bad thing" because I look bad to them.

That's how the retarded human brain works.
>>
>>24682805

that blows. sorry m8. but hey, that's the beauty of anonymous. doesn't make it better, but at least you have some form of escape where peeps can't see it.
>>
>>24682859

Yeah talking with 4chan about it finally has actually made me feel a lot more confident. I don't mean to have a pity party but I use myself as an example for you guys to understand.

It's why a lot of robots are in the position they're in. You didn't do anything wrong, you just didn't APPEAR good enough for people to project positive qualities onto you.
>>
Another element of it is stuff like this thread...

>>24681454

We as a society tend to have this idea that judging people's looks and commenting on them and saying mean things is wrong? Right? But oh look, I don't see any of those signs with the stuff men get called, like "creepy" or "virgin" or "little dick" or whatever.

So society plays this game where they say "Don't judge ME by my outward appearance... But I'll definitely judge YOU by yours!" So in the end, Halo Effect still rules over them, they still want it and want to use it themselves for the inspiring goal of never having to be around people they don't want to look at, but when they get treated the same way they pretend it's wrong.
>>
>>24682646
Shit like this makes me want to an hero.
>>
>>24682616
Extremely accurate. This is one major reason why the Internet is truly a wonderful tool.
>>
>>24682646

Dude 20/20 did something similar around... 2004-5? I can't remember when, I was a teen when I saw it though.

Basically they did a bunch of experiments to show how people reacted differently based on people's looks. One part, they lined up a bunch of dudes and had the girls rate them by attractiveness and then perceived personality. It was a line up behind a two way mirror. Well surprise, surprise, the shortest guy in the bunch was found to be the least attractive. The host said he was actually a literal millionaire and philanthropist. Nope. Still found him to be the most unattractive PERSONALITY WISE TOO. Aka "looks=personality" in the female mind.

On the male side they had this girl in central park who was lost and looking for directions, with a dog. They died her hair blonde first, made her a hot blonde. Literally 50 fucking dudes came up to her and asked if they could help her out.

They did the same experiment again, but mader her brunette. Not one single dude even talked to her. You could tell there weren't many blondes in NYC at the time then. The thirst was strong.
>>
>>24682646
>>24683675

Okay I didn't watch the one you posted, I'm two minutes in. Yeah it's the same experiment, they repeated a couple years later.

This thing is a double dosed red pill.
>>
File: 1449001068750.jpg (198 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1449001068750.jpg
198 KB, 640x640
>>24682646
Merde.
>>
>>24682646

>5 minutes in

>At the job interview part

Can I vent for a second here /r9k/? I'm positive this is why I'm poor as fuck too. I've never gotten a job from an interview before, I've always had to know someone who helped me from the inside. That's kind of normal, but at the same time it's lead to me being trapped in poverty my entire life. Never being able to get a decent job because I'll always get passed up because I don't look good enough.

There are things I worked so hard for, like my degree, to try and changed that. Prove myself. But it had no effect and being unable to pay the loans for the degree I'm even further in the hole now.

I'm not perfect. But I deserve to be able to live right? Contribute to society? Make something of myself? Apparently that privilege is always only there for Chad.
>>
>tfw ugly people are the real oppressed class
>tfw there will never be affirmative action for ugly males
>>
>>24682646

>So you didn't hire her because she's good looking?

>N-n-no.

This is why I judge people by their actions, rather than their words. Every single person in the universe will lie to their teeth about it, which means THEY FUCKING KNOW what they're doing. Which makes it all the more sinister.
>>
>>24684031

>"Mark had a better ability to make me believe he was confident!"

Again, never let anyone fool you into thinking confidence doesn't mean "good looking" and creepy doesn't mean "bad looking" because that's what it means.
>>
>>24684174
This is why you should never rely on anyone for anything. Do and make everything yourself and never give any of it to anyone else. Let them stir in their shit and die. Humans are literally cancer.
>>
>>24684483

They're talking in the video whether we're born this way or it's learned, the expert says "probably both" but I think it's that we're born this way and we REINFORCE it through societal costumes. And the only reason Halo effect exists is for sexual selection. Like a tigers stripes or a peacocks feathers. Nature has all these things the two mates scan each other and determine each other by. Also saying that makes it seem like it's okay and natural, this had lead to the straight up extinction of species everywhere.

Because the females usually tend to keep looking at one trait, like how pretty the tail feathers are, without realizing that those tail feathers slow the creature down, while making it more easy for predators to spot.

Humans have done so much to over come our self-sabotaging animal instincts. Except for this one though... we keep retardedly defending whatever our boner tells us too.
>>
>>24683926

My solution to this problem is to just admit it and then work on making everyone better looking. Especially men. Women have known this shit forever and exploit it, they get high heels, make up, clothes that distort their actual figure.

It's time we gave men those same things. Find ways to make us taller, make our faces more symmetrical, all that. It's the only way.
>>
I think nothing is more pleasurable for the human mind than staring at someone it thinks is good looking. That's where Halo Effect stems from too. Those people looks are like chocolate to eyes, we like to use the phrase eye candy but it's more true than we think. So now we're doing what we've done with candy -- get fat off it.

More and more good looking people blasted at us on a daily basis, everywhere all the time. This is world women in particular are working towards creating because it benefits them the most.
>>
>>24682467
It's literally shaped my entire personality.

I'm attractive.
>hurr durr u ernly think that!
Women literally approach me, faggot.
>why u hurr???
I enjoy the memes and board culture
>>
>>24685013

At least your aware of it. Most of my better looking guy friends insist it's their award-winning personality that makes women show more interest in them.

It's really delusional.
>>
fuck off

I've seen loads of ugly males get better things in life than me
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.