[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of music do you guys like to listen to? Im pretty curious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 18
What kind of music do you guys like to listen to? Im pretty curious to see if theres a variety of different tastes on here or if everyone simply gravitates to the same kind of shit.
>>
>>24671785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWTy1_nTVgE

I've been listening to this band mostly for the last two weeks.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVhwcOg6y8

My favorite song, not memeing

I bet I'm the only one here desu
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO4hJZ5dXqY

flame family
>>
>>24671785
None really. I spend most of the time sitting here with my headphones on but no sound coming out of them.
>>
>>24672020
That's a very sad image for some reason.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSveaJVPAGQ
>>
>>24671785
Grew up on top 40 radio garbage like I think everyone else on earth
My first casette tapes (old fag here) were Green Day's Dookie, Will Smith's Big Willie Style, and Weezer's Pinkerton.

After that I got more into gangster-ish rap (Tupac, Wu-Tang) which was huge at the time, then came pop-punk like NOFX and Blink 182 and also the whole nu-metal boom with Limp Bizkit and Marilyn Manson.

For the next 6-7 years it was only just that, punk and metal, then I got sick of that shit and now I listen to literally anything, but a lot less of the genres I grew up with. Classical, Jazz, Reggae, Eurodance, Rock, Drum & Bass, Speedcore, Makina, House, Folk, Blues, Traditional World Music, J-pop, Reggaeton, Country, etc...

I tend to mostly stay with Anime Sounstracks though because I am a huge fucking weeb faggot and also because there's a huge variety of musical genres within.
>>
It's mostly country, metal, 80s rock and 80s pop.
>>
https://youtu.be/TgQmBX7oPT8

I enjoy Jazz.
>>
>>24671850
Late 00's pop was strangely... good for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11SvDtPBhA

probably because Bieber & Cyrus hadn't turned into illuminati youth-corrupters just yet.
>>
I like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Bobby Darin but I also enjoy certain rap, 60's, 70's and 80's Rock and pop hits, soul train and mo-town, and classical music sometimes. I honestly like most genres with the exception of metal, country, and dubstep
>>
If i think back to all the threads i've seen i think that a majority of all music listened to by people who go to /r9k/ is nigger stuff.
>>
>>24672577
I have a youtube video where i'm very, very drunk and sing along to that song.
>>
>>24672678
awkward white people love rap for some reason. Probably because they wish they were Tyrone McChad

Eggfag even recorded like 13 tracks of himself trying to be a ganster rapper before he nuked all of his social media uncluding soundcloud.
>>
>>24672576
I hate jazz because its premise is false. It is basically a lie. The idea is that the musicians 'cooperate', 'listen and adapt to each other' as the piece evolves, and that this requires skill. Hardly; jazz improvisations or semi-improvisations are not a 'tighter equivalent to composition', it is no composition that just barely manages to avoid conflicting instruments with each other so as not to be a noise. Every time I listen to jazz I am disappointed, and I am even more disappointed when listeners to jazz tell me that 'I don't understand it', whereas in fact they are just happy to listen to disjointed sequences of tinkling of that instrument in the background and that one in the foreground.

Jazz is not a 'pinnacle of music' by far; jazz is avoiding the principles of music whatsoever. It is literally playing it safe: it is people (black people, in fact, which explains a lot) being praised for merely the fact that their playing avoids being a total trainwreck. I don't want to admire people for not making a trainwreck even though the tracks are shaky and the engine is almost broken; I want a good ride to begin with.
>>
>>24672710
During my goth/punk phase, Hannah Montana was my ultimate guilty pleasure.

Especially this one song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DQla5j26Qc
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 240x232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 240x232
1920-1940 jazz, (space) ambient, drum and bass
>>
>>24672738
there are different types of jazz and that shit sounds trash.
>>
I go to /mu/ and find stuff in sharethreads or other rec threads. I listen to a lot of random stuff, so I don't really have a defined taste, but I mostly like folk (singer/songwriter and traditional), post-punk, shoegaze, and I'm getting into jazz.
>>
>>24672738
Cool story, what do you listen to then?

>in b4 military parade music or some other autism meme
>>
>>24672738
In short, praising jazz is like praising an artificial intelligence for the fact that it managed to generate a novel that more or less follows English grammar and tells a more or less coherent story. If I want to admire a mediocre product of ingenuity *within a framework of intentionally crippling oneself artistically*, such as generating a novel or semi-generating a jazz piece, I can do this from an intellectual point of view, but this in no way compares to planned pieces.
>>
>>24672738
>>24672808

hahahaha you're that faggot who gets mad at Buddhists and meditation all the time, why are you so easily triggered?
>>
>>24672882
I hate when someone gets undue praise, because this devalues the work of talented people.

I hate 'meditating' morons and druggies because they think it bestows self-awareness, and not neuroscience.

I hate Buddhists because they think their crap about the mind and truth is understanding the world, and not physics and math.

I hate jazz because they think that musical value is just avoiding making a mess instead of coming with up a composition.

I hate that which tells people that less skill is more skill.
>>
>>24672953
> tipfedora.jpg
>>
>>24672953
please respond

>>24672791

>in b4 music is a lie and I am euphoric in the monotonous hum of my computer's fan
>>
>>24673018
Given that I am, as seen, recognized on /r9k/, I don't want to disclose my preferences.
>>
Vidya music (instrumental themes, not songs with words), Oldies (doo-wop, jazz, swing/big band, etc), Dad rock
>>
>>24672953
autism the post

I dont think Buddhists even claim to understand the world, they just want to be at peace with it.

Jazz takes a lot of skill to produce, I'm sure as hell if you tried to go from a composition to a freestyle you'd shit the bed (but that's implying you can even play an instrument).
>>
>>24673082
>I dont think Buddhists even claim to understand the world

If apologists of Buddhism even withheld their judgement before reading, say, five pieces of scripture and five popular pieces by Buddhists, they would improve the cause dramatically. Buddhism is filled to the brim with claims about 'true/real/ultimate understanding' being this or that; the very idea of enlightenment reflects it.

>>24673082
>Jazz takes a lot of skill to produce

Some, maybe. But as soon as I listen to any particular instrument, I hear nowhere near the virtuosity of some rock or metal. And lack of composition has already detracted from the piece.

>I'm sure as hell if you tried to go from a composition to a freestyle you'd shit the bed (but that's implying you can even play an instrument).

It is easier to create than to criticize.
>>
90s alt-rock is my shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYSbztCCTlA

and jazz, prog, folk, fucking whatever.
>>
File: received_925161094204491.jpg (21 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
received_925161094204491.jpg
21 KB, 1280x720
Aphex Twin, Clark, Current Value, u-Ziq, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Venetian Snares
>>
File: A-672102-1354733090-1504.jpeg.jpg (6 KB, 296x300) Image search: [Google]
A-672102-1354733090-1504.jpeg.jpg
6 KB, 296x300
I only listen to HNW
>>
Mostly folk music, typically folk punk but I also enjoy leadbelly, woody guthrie, phil ochs, etc. I also enjoy blues, and country music. I find these genres to be quiet and contemplative, and enjoy the focus on common people and everyday struggle.
>>
File: 1442119010033.jpg (210 KB, 606x606) Image search: [Google]
1442119010033.jpg
210 KB, 606x606
I listen almost exclusively to Burial and Lorn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SH-o7edhqss
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fMo5_d2sjU
>>
>Bollywood
>classical
>classic rock
>some rap
>assorted international music
>>
>>24673055
That's because you are a one-trick pony.

>>24673193
>the virtuosity of metal

oh yeah nothing screams virtuosity like the same palm-muted power chords for decades.
>>
Kanye West, Travis Scott, Daft Punk, MF DOOM, Nas, EXO, Lim Kim.
You know, normie stuff
>>
>everyone listens to pop music
>>
>>24671785
Coil, Jesu, Ulver, Kate Bush
>>
>>24672710
Yea when I was 14 I made a music video to >>24671850
>>
>>24673386
>That's because you are a one-trick pony.

I don't claim for my taste to be good, but being on 4chan, I have all the right for the anonymity this site is about. I don't trip and I can assure you that I don't intentionally make my style recognizable. Consequently, since I do all I can not to have an identity, you can't expect me to provide details, such as musical preferences, that could be related to it nonetheless.
>>
>>24672882
>>24672970
>>24673082
Children, please go back to /mu/.

Jazz is for children, by children. Buddhism is the lowest form of spirituality.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYWtyJGq4vo
>>
File: dftr.jpg (194 KB, 925x925) Image search: [Google]
dftr.jpg
194 KB, 925x925
sometimes I feel like I'm the only one here who genuinely enjoys hardcore
>>
File: duck.jpg (88 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
88 KB, 1280x853
I listen to lots of noise and shoegaze, but sometimes I listen to really shitty music like The Weeknd's old albums or Lana Del Rey or early 00's pop singles.
>>
>>24673463
So you dish it out but you can't take it.

Maybe if you occasionally just shut the fuck up about meditation and Buddhists with your British quotes (even though you're not British) and constant "in other words" replies to your own posts, you wouldn't be so recognizable.
>>
>>24671785
Any type of metal (usually progressive metal), and rock .
>>
>>24673544
>British quotes
Are you retarded Anon.

The em-dash denotes dialogue, double-quotation marks denote a quotation, and single (scare) quotes denote some form of sarcasm or paraphrasing.
>>
>>24673544
>So you dish it out but you can't take it.

If there's an asymmetry, it is in people's favour. Others know enough details of mine already (such as age or location), even though I hardly provide them myself; I never ask the people I criticize to reveal theirs.

>Maybe if you occasionally just shut the fuck up about meditation and Buddhists with your British quotes (even though you're not British) and constant "in other words" replies to your own posts, you wouldn't be so recognizable.

Yes; so? I protect my identity within the margin of best expressing what I have to say.
>>
>>24673625
>and single (scare) quotes denote some form of sarcasm or paraphrasing.

where are you from? regular (double) quotes are also used for sarcasm.

Using single quotation marks/apostrophes as regular quotation marks is a British style.

http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/british-versus-american-style.html

The fucking guy even admitted to not being British but writing in a British style regardless because the extra u's and whatnot makes him feel smarter.
>>
>>24673831
Doesn't he have a really low IQ? How can he know what he's talking about?
>>
>>24673831
>The fucking guy even admitted to not being British but writing in a British style regardless because the extra u's and whatnot makes him feel smarter.

This is a lie. You just lied.

My arguments were that (1) longer, more explicit forms help comprehension, and that (2) all else being equal, original forms are better (which underlies, I believe I recently read, my recent return to -ize from -ise).
>>
>>24673883
>more explicit forms help comprehension

the opposite is true, which is why your posts always descent into a madness of word salad and proof by verbosity & logical reasoning.
>>
>>24673969
We are talking about words. Inclusion of silent letters such as 'u' in colour or the suffix in 'through' can indicate their etymology that's otherwise los.
>>
>>24673969
Also, I think you confused 'explicit' with 'expansive' or something.
>>
I listen to a wide variety of music, but my favourite genre is definitely dad rock, specifically stuff from the 70s.
>>
>>24674012
But those letters were added in the 1800s when the Brits changed their pronunciation from the "American" one (which was the original). They made their r's more silent, so they added u's to make it explicit where you should pronounce them. Without the u it would be "cuh-luh" in their pronunciation.

Boston went through the same pronunciation movement (New England's culture was heavily tied to British culture), which is why they silence their r's too -- "pahk the cah in Hahvahd yahd" and so on.
>>
>>24674180
Oh? Thanks. Will consider if it's worth it to have an idiosyncratic mix of AmE and BrE for the sake of historical accuracy of some sort.
>>
File: boypuss.png (64 KB, 587x248) Image search: [Google]
boypuss.png
64 KB, 587x248
>>24674216
If you talked to a Brit in the 1700s or before, they would sound like an American.
>>
>>24671785
Professional.
https://youtu.be/rTrQ8Elh1c0
>>
Psychedelic rock, prog rock, dad rock, metal etc.

Been really in to dream pop, shoegaze and post-rock lately. They calm me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiuFNyUZ9VI
>>
>>24674374
>dad rock

I know what you mean, but consider the fact that dad rock in 2015 is stuff like Green Day and Limp Bizkit and Nirvana. or at the very least will be in a handful of years at most.
>>
>>24674414

I mean stuff like led zeppelin, deep purple, pink floyd, david bowie but yeah never generations think 90's rock as dad rock.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKjseOljDRU

What I'm listening to right now
I don't really know what I like I just float around
>>
>>24673363

Burial is the shit. It's on the darker side of all the ambient electro stuff I listen to most days.
>>
I'll either be listening to art music or black metal.
If I'm feeling particularly good for my standards (still depressed as fuck though) maybe some noise, power electronics stuff.
I also like certain other bands a lot like Nick Cave and the bad seeds which I've listened to for thousands of hours but I can't say that I'm very interested in other genres. My taste was a lot more eclectic in my late teens and then I cut back a lot when I got into art music more.
>>
>>24674453
dad rock is just eternal and transcends time itself.

oh and I guess 70s/80s mainstream punk like the Ramones and The Clash became dad rock at one point as well.
>>
Mostly goth / dark 80's and oldschool techno. Some classical and European folk.
>>
>>24673499
What kind of hardcore?
I like old school hardcore, midwest/Boston/LA kinda stuff. I also listen to flipper a lot.
I like new hardcore/punk bands, ie S.H.I,T., Culo, Gas Rag, Glue, Institute, Lumpy and the Dumpers etc. Im in a band if youre into punk and wanna check it out
spongeband(dot)bandcamp(dot)com
>>
>>24674522
Got any suggestions man?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4k6JgC7UVA
>>
This is my current favourite album, so shit like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axqtj7AayWM
Love this album, the singer can't really sing, but I feel like her voice is perfect for those songs desu
>>
>>24671785
Drum & Bass, Indie Rock/Folk, Post-Rock/Post-Punk, Trip Hop/Gothic Rock, Retro Wave, Electronic, some melodies like KS or Minecraft OST. Of course I use to listen to more genres from time to time, but these are the most prevalent in my taste right now.
>>
>>24674866
can I rec you an album?
it's p sunny it's not like burial but it's great
>>
File: folder.jpg (23 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
23 KB, 500x500
Something along the lines of ambient / downtempo / IDM. A lot of stuff from Warp Records. More specifically anything with a post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

Although /mu/ seems to like BoC, I don't think they would find my overall library very interesting.
>>
electronic music of the non obnoxious normie dance variety
>>
>>24675169
I shit on your existence
>>
>>24675131
i own that on vinyl and i still haven't listened to it yet. my turntable console is all fucked up :(
>>
File: 1429485195782.jpg (141 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1429485195782.jpg
141 KB, 640x960
>>24675192
ok sounds good
>>
>>24675044
Sure go for it. What do you think of Ratatat by the way?
>>
>>24674744
i really like hardcore punk. this boston band called Defeater is probably my favorite.

also (some of them probably arent acutal hardcore sorry not a genre nazi)
>pianos become the teeth
>boys night out
>have heart
>bane
>Alexisonfire
>norma jean
>counterparts
>>
File: 1423799451981.gif (2 MB, 220x190) Image search: [Google]
1423799451981.gif
2 MB, 220x190
>>24675192
normie who listens to edm detected

get out
>>
>>24675312
Edm ain't all bad
>>
File: rarejohn.jpg (143 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
rarejohn.jpg
143 KB, 600x600
>>24675457
prove it then plz
>>
File: 0000183889_10.jpg (125 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0000183889_10.jpg
125 KB, 500x500
>>24675252
I haven't listened to ratatat, I'm not the anon you were talking with, I just randomly decided to rec you something.
>>
>Death Grips
>Kanye West
>Pink Floyd
>Yes
>Tech N9ne
>Kid Cudi
>The Beatles
>Johnny Cash
>Old Eminem
>Old Jay-Z
r8 my taste, fambruhs
>>
>>24675519
not him, but EDM isn't one genre. It's more like 5 different genres with its own subgenres and it also retroactively includes genres of music before EDM was ever a meme.

Anything that isn't brostep or top 40 house music is all right in my book.
>>
>>24675312
nvm I completely misunderstood his comment
I thought he said he listens to normie dance music AS OPPOSED to the non-normie music which he considers obnoxious
>>
>>24675656
Diet Normie/10
>>
File: 1448753628592.jpg (911 KB, 3200x2400) Image search: [Google]
1448753628592.jpg
911 KB, 3200x2400
No one in this thread deserves my music

Have some sugar cookies
>>
>>24675746
>in b4 the pink dye is made with period blood and this pic is from tumblr
>>
>>24675612
I see. Thanks for the rec man! I'll check it out when I'm done reading today. What do you listen to?
>>
>>24671785
Mostly just God tier rap
Kanye, wayne, jayz, kendrick etc
>>
>>24675694
Spot on lol
>>
>>24675894
Was it a b8 post or genuine taste in music? Everything was sort of like "Baby's first ___ band/artist".

If you want to spice up your b8, also add like Green Day(or maybe The Clash or The Ramones), Skrillex and Slipknot.
>>
>>24675667
when i say edm, i'm referring specifically to cool kid yolo swag fag edm shit
>>
>>24675866
this is my post
>>24674570
>>
>>24676407
oh okay.

can we call it normiedm from now on?
>>
>>24676569
sure, i'm in support of that.

my main problem with that kind of garbage is that the people who listen to it don't know anything about electronic music. its all "edm" to them. so they start coming to our shows, and bringing all their obnoxious reckless behavior with them
>>
>>24676632
iktf a sure way to trigger me is to talk about how "Skrillex invented dubstep" or even brostep.
>>
>>24676819
"ohhhh bro you know whats fuckin awesome? electrostep bro!"

electrostep?

"yeaaah bro its like electro but with dubstep basslines!"

dubstep basslines?

"yeah dude a wobbly bass!"

so... you mean electro?

"nah dude lol electro step. like i said its electro but with wobbly basslines!"

yeah... electro...

"lol you dumb yolo!"
>>
File: our-band-could-be-your-life.jpg (548 KB, 1681x2522) Image search: [Google]
our-band-could-be-your-life.jpg
548 KB, 1681x2522
I love all of the bands in this book, especially Butthole Surfers and Big Black
>>
>>24676887
I miss the days when literally everything like that was just "techno"
>>
>>24676543
Ja feel, might check some of that out. Thanks /mu/
>>
>>24677014
i remember those days

"you listen to techno? its awesome!"

do you mean techno, as in the genre? or?
>>
>>24677374
>do you mean techno, as in the genre? or?

Yes, back when that was the umbrella term for all electro music that EDM became.

Why is there a band called techno?
>>
I'm an experimental musician that's putting out an industrial pop/power electronics/techno EP on a german label and will soon be performing as a Noise/Spoken Word/Avant garde Singer.

My favorite artists include Catherine Ribeiro, Diamanda Galas, Scott Walker, Klaus Nomi, David Bowie, Fuyuki Yamakawa, Grace Jones, Fela Kuti, The Stooges, Front 242, Iannis Xenakis, Pamela Z, Fad Gadget, Skinny Puppy, Foetus, Mike Oldfield, Skullflower...I don't know, I just like music in general, really. I don't really shit on anything unless it's trying too hard to fit in with everything in it's genre or a poorly executed idea. Music is pretty fucking cool in general and I think everybody should do it at least as a hobby. Even if you just learn rhythm guitar, it's something you can do to bond with you kids or woo your future partner.
>>
>>24671785
Mostly Classical (Modern Era, Renaissance, Medieval) and Jazz. Listening to Prokofiev right now. Gonna listen to his 2nd Symphony and his Egyptian Suite after this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt7ps6cx2KE

>>24672738
Most of the time in Jazz the musicians will play through the melody once and then play solos over the chord changes. It's not really hard to understand. A lot of what people don't understand about Jazz is a lot of the time the artist playing the song didn't write the piece, someone else did and they are giving their twist on it by embellishing the melody with ornaments. Summertime by Gershwin must have been recorded by a thousand people.

I'd say give Horace Silver and Thelonius Monk a shot and if you still dislike that try Bossa Nova.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIrNtAq-t8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGLUgbxlsYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikutCJd13cM

>>24677528
>Xenakis
Nice tbqh
>>
File: thrashandburn.jpg (919 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
thrashandburn.jpg
919 KB, 1024x1024
do any robots listen to Ariel Pink
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 640x1136
>The Father, Lead Belly
>The Son, John Fahey
>The Holy Spirit, John Fahey

>chief keef
>schoolboy q
>giuseppe verdi
>chopin
>doors
>nmh
>pete seeger
>woody guthrie
>roscoe holcomb
>hobart smith
>asap ferg
>thelonious monk
>washington phillips
>bukka white
>blind willie johnson
>blind willie mctell
>blind lemon jefferson
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.