[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw living out of my car Anyone else know this feel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (365 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365 KB, 1280x960
>tfw living out of my car

Anyone else know this feel?
>>
Where do you park for the night?
>>
>>24642399
the woods
>>
>>24642342
Do you like it? Sounds neat
>>
>>24642399
I park in either grocery store parking lots or in the woods, if I'm away from urban areas.
>>
How do you pay for gas
>>
>>24642469
I like it. I do want my own apartment at some point however. But if that means having to wageslave for it, no fucking thanks.
>>
>>24642568
I have 5 grand from the last job I worked, so that should last me a while. As long as my car doesn't into any major issues that require paying a mechanic I'll be fine for at least a year or two.
>>
>>24642342

how do you pay for food and shit
>>
Really wanted to adapt this lifestyle but I have zero moneys. Live the dream, OP. Live it.
>>
It's pretty much impossible to become homeless in my country.
>>
>>24642647
I bought lentils in bulk before I left. They're cheap and I can usually get 1,500 calories a day out of them, plus I steal food. That and McDonald's occasionally.
>>
How do you take care of hygiene (e.g. shower)?
>>
>>24642842
Not OP, but know from experience gym showers are pretty easy to sneak into.
>>
>>24642842
Like the other guy said I sneak into gym showers, or use sinks in public bathrooms to wash myself off a bit. I try to shower once every day.
>>
>>24642342
ye I've done this, it's pretty easy to steal people's MAC addresses and get free internet. uni IT is inept. And yet I'M THE HOMELESS ONE.
>>
How the fuck do you do this in a rural area? The city has evertythig and the only catch is rent which you don't have

Why don't you get a van at least that way you can have a sink to wash up in and a mattress and cooler and shit
>>
I want to live out of a car someday, holy shit that could be so comfy, just cover all the windows with blankets, waifu body pillows everywhere
>>
Any problems with the police so far?
>>
Im currently sitting in my car Typing this , my car has been my home for the past 3 months, not op
>>
>>24643013
I just drive from town to town. It's pretty fun since I get to travel all around the states, wherever I want to go.

>>24643069
Nope, one tapped on my window at like 2 am and told me to leave the parking lot I was in but that's it.
>>
>>24643122
What do you do for food and hygeine?
>>
>>24643171
Doesn't it scare you though like you could run out of gas or money or have your car break down like 8 states from home what would you do? I was going to say just rent a 6x9 closet and be comfier but it seems like you want to actively travel
>>
Any pics of the inside of your car?
>>
>>24643201
I'm not in my car atm but it's a pickup with a shell. I sleep in the bed of the truck.

>>24643199
When my money gets under a grand I'll look for an alternative to this lifestyle
>>
>>24643173
This OP, how do you wash yourself and your clothes
>>
>>24643261
I posted earlier about washing myself. For my clothes I hand wash them once a week with detergent and water in a public sink.
>>
I unironically envy you. That sounds pretty neat
>>
>>24643246
Do you work?
>>
What's the logo on the seat?
>>
>>24643410
I worked over the summer and made about 6 grand, and then dropped out of college. I've been doing this about 3 months now.
>>
>>24643434
What are your plans for the future? Have you got any family? I hope things improve for you
>>
>>24643467
Thanks, I hope they improve too.

I have a big family but I'd rather be alone. My plans for the future are so foggy I don't even know. I'd like to start a website or sell things on Amazon to get some kind of income while still retaining my freedom.
>>
Hey OP I'm in the same position. I shower at a local leisure centre and then spend most of my day at the library where it's warm and quiet. Nighttime sucks in the winter since it gets dark so early. I've been walking around a lot and sitting in McDonalds. Definitely the least stressed I've been in a long time though.
>>
>>24643411
Dodge
>>
Where do you take a shit?
>>
>>24642342
Lived in a Mazda Miata for 16 months
Parked in my work parking lot
Had to take out the passenger seat for enough room to sleep
Wife divorced me and with what I had to pay, court costs, lawyer fees, not enough money left to live in San Francisco
I sucked so bad, but the weather is pretty good in SF
I will never marry again, lost everything, she even gets half my pension when i retire
>>
>>24643585
Was the pussy worth it though?

I ask sincerely as a depressed beta virgin.
>>
>>24643585
Brendan? Is that you?
>>
>>24643585
one time me and my friend joked around about what if there's homeless people and they live in luxury cars like lambos and shit

I would have cashed it in and bought a motorcycle and lived in LA and got an apartment with left over money but that's just me
>>
I want to live in a van so fucking bad.
I will have a tv, laptop, xbox and internet.
I will get a gym membership for working out when bored, showers, bathrooms, place to park tow-free, and a place to meet qt girls for fug.

My only concern is the food because eating out is expensive and i recieve food stamps so i prefer to buy uncooked food anyway. Can anyone help me with my food problem pls

Lack of sink, oven, stove, fridge, freezer, and microwave is a problem. Can anyone help?
>>
>>24643585
You deserve it for getting married.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 258x245
>>24643585
>he got married

She's fucking multiple guys right now while you pay for her birth control so they can creampie her

Absolute kuck
>>
>>24644182
>trading a long term means of conveyance and shelter for an easily stolen bike and a few months rent
Good thing it didn't happen to you.
>>
File: 1448869599051.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1448869599051.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>24643585
>he fell for the marriage maymay

ayy
>>
>tfw will probably be living out of my car soon
I'm kind of down with it, but my car is a piece of shit so I can't really drive it far. I'm looking into buying another, preferably something bigger than my tiny car.
>>
>>24644277
MRE bags have chemical heaters. You add water and it reacts to be able to cook meals - look into something like that.
>>
>>24644355
>>24644355
Well I was under the assumption that motorcycle would get him to a job
>>
>>24643585
>she even gets half my pension when i retire
How is that legal?
>>
>>24644567
the joys of being Californian
this place is off the rails
>>
>>24643585
Damn that's rough.

And people wonder why domestic violence is a thing
>>
>>24644277
>Lack of sink, oven, stove, fridge, freezer, and microwave is a problem. Can anyone help?
You can collect rain water by using small gutter and connect it to a clear plastic container or some sort of strange pipe under the roof. You just need to connect a pipe that leads to the sink and another one that gets the grey water out of the van.

The oven/stove problem could be tackled by using a variation of an outdoor gas stove. You'll need to buy gas container on a regular basis, that's the downside.

Forget about the freezer, that's next to impossible while living in a van. The fridge could be a mobile fridge made for vans, or you could store cooling units - the ones used in treating sport accidents - in a cooling box to keep things cool for a couple of days each.
>>
File: ebin.png (368 KB, 734x594) Image search: [Google]
ebin.png
368 KB, 734x594
I have been sporadically living in my previa van for the past 1 and a half years

it's cold, you are constantly eating poorly, sleep habits are poor, and there's a lot of pressure if you live in a dense urban area. You occasionally also get people fucking with your van or trying to break in. And most slappingly, I calculate to only save about $100 more than someone who rents a $400 apartment

vanning is a meme. It's best for the summer months while working a college job or something. I don't think in the long run you're getting an optimal deal and it certainly harms your health and makes you feel depressed

would be hearing about OP's setup however
>>
>>24642735
best places to obtain food in the way such described?
>>
>>24644709
Why didn't you insulate the outer walls?
How did it affect your sleeping habits?
>>
>>24644802
One could also start to container - stealing the leftovers of stores. They tend to throw out things that are beyond the best before dates, but other than that are good to eat.
>>
File: r9k kid.jpg (82 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
r9k kid.jpg
82 KB, 640x1136
>>24642342
I feel like I recognize that tiny square jaw
>>
>>24644277
just get a laptop

as for food, listen here my friend. Don't even think about trying to store vegetables over the long term (2 + days). My goto diet is bananas, canned peas, potato wedges from the grocer (very cheap for your buck and a good source of fibre), and I cook eggs which can be stored for days fairly safely when I want a "hot meal". Onions are also very cheap and I usually cook some up with them

sink- get a plastic tub where you store your pans and shit. Oven, get a portable gas cooker - be aware that you need ventilation when you do this or you will get poisoned. Usually the recommendation is you find an abandoned park spot to go every day for cooking. Liver is also very cheap for the return. Microwave? Lol, you will drain a car battery in 10 minutes using stuff like that. Don't bother, find a place like a university that has things like that for free for "students".

some vandwellers also recommend you use protein powder as a supershake. Personally I've always found the residue disgusting and uncleanable... the trick is to go and buy coffee for a buck, save the cup and then go back to your van and drink from it before tossing it out. I think you could also profitably buy paper cups from a dollar store and do this

>>24644806
I have a thermal sleeping bag. For the longest time I simply did not... previas have these fucktarded windows and it was a pain in the ass to find something that would fit them. Eventually I just used those foam mats marketed for kids to play on (squares that interlock, you can get them at dollar stores cheap $$$), and taped them together to use on the windows. Basically, you can't possibly ever keep the van toasty so I wouldn't bother. Just find warm places to do all your shit in during the day (library, tea houses where you can get a lot of tea for your $, gym, supermarkets with customer eating areas where you can stay for a coffee) and stick to them. It fugging sucks dude.

Sleeping - cars constantly wake you up
>>
>>24644918
Kek, the kiebler elf.

Its him isn't it?
>>
>>24644978
>Sleeping - cars constantly wake you up
Wouldn't it be possible to drive into some nice suburban part of town and stay there? Litte traffic, little risk of being broken in. I could imagine that the residents might call the cops on a van they don't know parking in their area, but I may be overthinking that.
>>
>>24645092
okay man, there's this idealized million dollar van setup a lot of people seem to refer to when they think about vanning. And then there's what I've constantly had to make due with. I sleep in relatively quiet areas, and still even when I sleep without waking seem to feel tired af in the morning. I honestly think it's just a byproduct of living hard. Suit yourself
>>
>>24645014
Bump so OP can reveal his identity.
>>
>>24642924

How does someone who's not a computer expert get internet access? I have a feeling I'm gonna be homeless soon and the internet is my pnly escape.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.