[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Dissociated Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1427693316043.jpg (64 KB, 736x953) Image search: [Google]
1427693316043.jpg
64 KB, 736x953
These are men living in a constant state of separation from their own body, and thus their mechanism of action upon the world. Internally, their mind roams and watches and acts by way of judgements and inferences. The body (and voice) are inert palisades around the dissociated mind.

Without a mechanism of action that effects the external world, the mental perception-action cycle is truncated, leading to a feeling of total powerlessness. Recurring thoughts of bold actions that would break the inertness are common.

Having given up the ground of the body and voice, it passively becomes a simulacrum of the social human. Deploying the (roughly) correct niceties, gestures, and sentiments, it becomes a smooth featureless lump in the social geography.

Meanwhile the mind dissociated from this becomes incoherent externally. Internally, it retains coherence, but the coherence is more and more self-referential and cannibalistic.
>>
File: 1447978468632.jpg (60 KB, 389x416) Image search: [Google]
1447978468632.jpg
60 KB, 389x416
Please continue the afformentioned material
>>
>>24635922
Yeah that's about right, my robot friend.
>>
>>24635922
So do you have any ideas that might help these people?
>>
>>24635985
It's a slow process of reclaiming your body. Not just on a physical or athletic sense, but more of a social sense. The goal is to have consonance between your thoughts and your actions. You can smoothly translate your thoughts into words and actions. You can smoothly integrate the results of your words and actions into your understanding of who and what you are.

Often there is a period of "over-exertion". Imagine an arm that hasn't moved in years. Its first movements will be spasmodic. But slowly it will come to operate smoothly, if the owner continues to use it. If those wild movements shame the owner into stopping its usage again, nothing will be gained.

One thing to consider, is the effect of a "hyper-modeled" world. We are witness to a huge amount of potent versions of social role models through media. Our perceptual understanding of social roles can quickly outstrip our practical understanding. Thus leading to a sort of shame silence that breeds this kind of dissociation.
>>
Mentally dissociated or philosophical dissociated?

I think I'm just retarded and I don't follow.
>>
Hide your power level or you'll freak the normies out.
>>
>>24636107

Physically
>>
>>24636161
nigga FUCK the normies
>>
>>24636107
What I'm describing, is a state of powerlessness with no obvious cause.

Imagine standing in line. After waiting 30 mins, someone cuts in front of you. What do you do? Are your emotions are stirred, do you feel angry and bitter and do you want to cut the man down? Yes you do nothing? This is what I'm describing.

Opposing that, someone not in this situation, might behave like this. They notice the man cut. They point out to the man that he cut in line. If he acknowledges his mistake, the incident is let go and emotionally resolved. If he does not, the situation is escalated. Up to what point is irrelevant, and contextual.
>>
>>24636179
Pointing out a nigga cutting in line is easy mode step the fuck up dog boy
>>
>>24636091
>One thing to consider, is the effect of a "hyper-modeled" world. We are witness to a huge amount of potent versions of social role models through media. Our perceptual understanding of social roles can quickly outstrip our practical understanding. Thus leading to a sort of shame silence that breeds this kind of dissociation.

interesting, that makes sense to me. Like someone who has had all their lessons taught to them so they don't make the mistakes. In doing so they avoid pain but don't learn the true implications of those lessons in the end.
>>
>>24636220
Yes. They are a witness to the bodies and actions of others. And are clueless when it comes to their own.
>>
>>24636239

In other words their entire lives have been kekolded
>>
>>24636250
Ha ha ha. Sure!
>>
>>24635922
It's like you're describing me. Fuck, I need to just get out of this city and become a farmer in a nice little rural community or something.
>>
>>24636645
That type of fantasizing is common in the dissociated. That you can perform one large action that will break through and restore you as a complete person. But there is not any such action. You can only ever slowly regrow yourself into your body.
>>
>comparing not being able to say anything to a gut cutting in front of you to a serious mental illness
>>
Very good stuff OP. I've been thinking about these general ideas lately, too.

It reminds me of this Karen Horney and her work on neurosis
>>
I just call it 'autopilot'.
>>
>>24635922
Yeah but the idea of a mind separate from the body is just a result of a few hundred years of Cartesian thinking. The intellectual model is misguided and anyone who considers mind body dualism to be something that exists is just buying in to the myth of the ghost in the machine.

When you think of "the mind" becoming more dissociated and incoherently externally you're just describing behavior of your body.

An easy way to realize why this is the case is to think about what the intellectual model that Cartesians offer means for knowledge.

Basically the biggest insight Descartes gave was that we have innate ideas about knowledge of self. But what about other kinds of knowledge? What does it mean to know something internally? What does it mean to know something externally? Are you honestly saying that the actions you performed in order to type out your post are just responses from your mind? Ask yourself if you intellectualize every single action you make when you ride a bike.

Thesaurus
>>
>>24636819
Hmmmmm.

Not all of that post was garbage.
>>
>>24636743
I'll look into that

>>24636819
This isn't a discussion about dualism. Of course dualism is preposterous. I'm using "mind" and "body" to refer to things in an understandable way. Mind being the perceptual machinery, and body being the active machinery.
>>
>>24636890
But you're still ascribing yourself to sets of machinery in terms of perception and activity which is just rephrasing Cartesian thinking.

Are you saying that your "active" machinery merely acts upon your perceptions? How is that different from the intellectual model? Even more, how do you suppose your "body" isn't perceptual and your "mind" active?

Maybe you feel so trapped because you limit yourself to thinking in such binding ways?

Maybe you feel dissociated because you remove the associations of your body and compartmentalize things to the point where distinctions seem more real than they are?
>>
>>24636819
luminescent
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.