[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else get really freaked out thinking about how they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1428578997900669.jpg (37 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
1428578997900669.jpg
37 KB, 700x393
Does anyone else get really freaked out thinking about how they will inevitably, invariably, and surely die? Your body could give out at literally any second; you could come down with cancer or have an aneurysm and die tomorrow.

What's the point of all of this?

I wish I could make myself believe in God, not even trying to be edgy. Just having that extra hope, regardless of whether it's a legitimate one, would be so nice.
>>
Not really. I'm still trying to work up the courage to jump off my apartment.
>>
>>24631057
This. It gives me comfort knowing one day this will end.
>>
>>24631031
>what's the point?

The point is to be /comfy/ and enjoy yourself.
>>
If you haven't subscribed to an organized religion, the least you can do is establish some belief in the afterlife. After all, there has to be a reason for dreams.
>>
I feel you. It's scary to think that the longer you live, the more likely you are to die. Your body fucks up just once and boom. That's it. You could done forever. And it would be as if you had never lived, assuming there isn't some kind of afterlife.

So yeah, it would be nice to believe in God. The idea that this is it and I'm gonna die someday is kinda terrifying sometimes.
>>
embrace absurdism

read camus
>>
>>24631099

How do I do that? I just have a hard time rationalizing belief in an afterlife. I feel as if my brain just isn't hardwired for religion, for better or worse.

Of course, I also know that there's a difference between organized religion and simple belief in an afterlife. But no matter what I read or think, this question always comes back around to bother me: why? Why does there have to be an afterlife? Why must I, as a human, be so inherently special that I warrant a continuation of consciousness after death? That just doesn't make sense. And even if we can ask, "why not?", the conclusion I think is easiest and most acceptable is that there is nothing, all of this was a lucky accident, and any effort to tell ourselves otherwise is essentially a way to cope with meaninglessness in a seemingly meaningful world.

>>24631116

>tfw there's no dodging death

That really scares me to think about. I'm about a third of the way through my life right now. I still have some clear memories from when I was four or five, and things that happened when I was thirteen or fourteen, in some cases, feel as if they happened yesterday. It's scary to think that these are the only two possible outcomes, mental illnesses such as Alzheimer's aside: either I will be seventy-years old and look back on my twenties as if they were yesterday while staring death in the face, or I will be dead before I ever get the chance to do that.

Why is life like this? How can I be happy when I know that in the blink of an eye I'm gone?
>>
>>24631099
What do dreams have to do with the afterlife?

>After all, there has to be a reason for dreams.
The most likely explanation is "practice". Dangerous situations you might, or hopefully won't, encounter irl. Things you're anxious or unconfident about. Things you'll need to do to pass on your seed....
>>
Please I'm the opposite, I long for death because honestly things will never get better and life is a big joke. Not trying to be edgy but I just don't see what's the point. You get out of school, get a job, maybe get a wife, and then die? That's lame as fuck. I plan to shoot myself next time I visit my grandparent's house because I lack my own guns.
>>
The entire point of life is to find something that fulfills you.

It's easy for wild animals: their whole purpose in life is to reproduce and ensure that their offspring live long enough to have a chance to grow up and reproduce and propagate the species.

But humans are in a unique situation where this doesn't work for us, firstly because we have the curse of higher brain functions and an ability to wonder if there should be more to life. And secondly, we have an understanding that if we, as individuals, don't reproduce, nothing bad is going to happen and our species won't go extinct.

So beyond that, you just have to find something in life that makes you feel fulfilled. If it's enjoying works of art, literature, or music created by those who came before you, or creating more of these things for those who will come after you, or forming relationships with the people around you and creating tight social bonds, or trying to create change in the world by fighting for a cause, or volunteering your time, money, or energy to help those less fortunate than you who still have hope, or even just the pursuit of pleasure and /comfy/ like the other anon said.

There is no single thing in life that will make you fulfilled anon. And nothing is going to completely remove your fear. But eventually, if you keep looking, you'll find something that fills the void and when the time comes that you do die, you won't regret the time you spent on this plane of existence.
>>
>>24631195
Sometimes I focus on my body and think about how the moment I die, I'll be the same person. I'll still be in this body with this mind, feeling the same sensations, plus pain maybe.

How will it be? Will I be afraid then? Will I be screaming?
>>
Good. Life sucks, and I suck at it.
>>
>>24631297

Thanks for the detailed response.

My problem is this: I'm a bit of a night owl, and I usually can't fall asleep until the early hours of the morning. Instead of putting my head on the pillow and flying away to SleepyTowne, I wind up thinking about how meaningless my own life is. I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly depressed or miserable person, either. All of these doubts and thoughts and worries and fears just catch up to me at strange times.

I'm a science student but I write commercially and have a decent imagination. This is good for occasionally making me money but not helpful in situations like this. Sometimes I want to cry because I'll almost feel what it's like to lose my parents or future spouse or fail in every endeavor I'm currently pursuing. I like to think that I'm successful and can make it, but then again, doesn't everyone?

It just bothers me that all of "this" seems to be for nothing.

>>24631331

If I think about it, death doesn't seem too bad. Maybe you hurt, maybe you don't, and then the lights are switched out. It's not even dark, because, for you, there is absolutely nothing in the simplest, barest sense of the word nothing. We can't even describe what unconsciousness is like without words.

This might be stupid on my part, but it always fucking boggles me that there is not a single person who can tell us what it is like to actually die and not come back from death. We know what's happening, vaguely, thousands or millions of lightyears away, but we have no idea what exactly it feels like to have the one thing which happens to everyone happen to us.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.