[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I give up videogames? I've been reading infinite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: images-1.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
Should I give up videogames? I've been reading infinite jest lately and has seriously been making me question things. The part where the people die from watching the movie for days on end made me think: videogames are basically just a way to be happy with doing nothing. I'm not addicted per say but I've been thinking, even if you play games for, like, 2 hours a day that's one twelfth of your life gone. I'm just afraid that if I do give up games I'll replace it with some other time waster
>>
>>24630356
The time is not any more "gone" than with any other recreational activity. If you enjoy playing vidya the time is well spent.
>>
Well, is it worth it for you? Do video games make you happy or serve a function in your life?

It's important for mental health to do things you enjoy, even if it is just pointless leisure activities. If you worked all the time, that wouldn't be much of a life, would it?
>>
>>24630356
>Should I give up videogames?
Have you read the posts of the people on here?

Duh, you should give up vidya ASAP.
>>
>>24630498
But I'd just replace it with occasional shitposts here, and lurking on any other shit that requires a set username because I'm too avoidant to post.
>>
it's pretty easy to quit video games now seeing as 99% of them are absolute fucking garbage
>>
File: space waifu.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
space waifu.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
When I'm not playing vidya, I'm here.
For some reason, I feel way more productive and accomplished playing a video game than posting about feels on a hermit circlejerk forum.
>>
I'm almost certainly in some way addicted to escapism, whether it's 4chan, video games, or tv. It's a great way to feel less shitty about myself without actually doing anything to improve.
I'd really like to do some other hobbies that are more productive and involve social interaction, but it just seems like too much work..
>>
>>24630455
>>24630448
The problem is that games feel like "empty" entertainment to me, in like books or movies which can often make me feel or think things that I normally wouldn't. Games can do this too but it's very very rare. Also, videogames I feel are destructive because they give you the illusion of having done something which can make you content with not doing anything.
>>
>>24630614
that's because video games are empty. video game stories are usually bottom of the barrel shit that wouldn't even be made into a c-grade movie or some supermarket novel, and at the end of the day all you're doing is sitting down and pressing buttons.
>>
vidya is for degerates
>>
>>24630356
>videogames are basically just a way to be happy
i concur
>>
I have been thinking lately that what if video games are bad for someone like me who is constantly, planning, controlling and worrying about shit. They sure are fun but maybe entertainment like movies and books would be more relaxing, and thus better activity for me, because you have much more passive role, and you let the thing take you where ever. Maybe if I gave up on video games, or at least limited the time I spend playing, I had more energy to be more active in my real life.
>>
File: 1438522994969.jpg (103 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1438522994969.jpg
103 KB, 800x450
>>24630356
Do what you want, i dont give a fuck.
>>
File: 1409346011281.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1409346011281.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>>24630786
>degerates
>>
>>24630356
The end of your post is the point.

It's not the meaningless things you spend time on that are evil.

>also good robot book senpai, all robots should read
>>
>>24630614
>in like books or movies which can often make me feel or think things that I normally wouldn't
Just means you aren't fond of video games or critical of them. To you video games is just a hobby, you play them for what they are on the surface: just games. If you were a hardcore gamer or had it become a lifestyle, it'd be balanced with your life of other things, and you wouldn't just sit there and play the game as is. You'd theorize, analyze, criticize, and discover. When you play a video game you are doing something it is just through a medium and in a virtual reality.

At the end of the day no matter what you do you will die. And whose to say you can't read a book and play video games? Learn how to manage, a video game is no more empty than a fiction book.
>>
>>24630356
Have you figured out what is on the tape yet?
>>
>>24630356

I just got infinite jest in the post myself. That's one thick book and I barely started it. Your post does make me think it's time to get off 4chan myself and get to actually doing things like reading the book and studying more rather than shit posting with kids ten or fifteen years younger than me. This is the only outlet I have to feel cool and hip though with memes and funny stuff.
>>
So youre suffering from guilt or the desire to want to do something grander

If you didn't give a shit then youd just keep on playing video games

Its not that you should or shouldnt quit, its more about whether or not youre comfortable with it. Clearly youre not. So i suggest finding something more challenging, more fulfilling.

Have you given the exercise meme a shot yet?
>>
>>24632285
Its not cool and hip at all. Theres very little difference in the writing style from any other website like facebook or the youtube comment section. Once i realized that being here didnt put me in the know of anything (especially how fast facebook got ahold of the neetkek meme), my time here has been involuntarily been cut into a fraction of the original.

You just have to wake up and see that being here isnt actually serving you any purpose. Its all just in your head.
>>
File: serverino.png (137 KB, 1322x1124) Image search: [Google]
serverino.png
137 KB, 1322x1124
who gives a fuck if it's productive. My parents are extreme hard-asses that grew up dirt poor and always, everyday harp on me about the importance of education and working hard and not being lazy and always being productive and not wasting time.

I understand that they came from a different time and situation, where they had to work all the time to survive, but I don't have to scramble and work my fingers to the bone to get something to eat or go to school, and it's not my fault either.

Neither of them have ever been comfortable with me playing video games. They think they're "the devil" and useless/waste of time. But I enjoy them so fuck what they think. I would literally go insane if I couldn't do something comforting/fun like play video games.

Life is short, everyone dies, etc, etc. If you enjoy video games, play them. Don't compare yourself to others, especially when it comes to personal happiness.
>>
>>24632193

Metal Gear 1
>>
File: squidward.jpg (171 KB, 599x880) Image search: [Google]
squidward.jpg
171 KB, 599x880
>>24630356
>Spend all my time playing video games
>Feel awful, like I'm wasting my life

>Decide to start playing them way less, focusing on building skills
>Trying learning coding, art, music, get a job and start lifting
>Feel even worse now, still feel like I'm wasting my life

There's no escape. I'm doomed to feel this way until I die.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.