[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best programming language to learn in terms of what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: TheFinalKeanedown.png (715 KB, 759x605) Image search: [Google]
TheFinalKeanedown.png
715 KB, 759x605
What is the best programming language to learn in terms of what is most wanted in the job market, specifically the free lance job market. I already know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (I know they aren't really programming languages). What should I learn next?
>>
JS is best
>>
>>24601080
You can't go wrong with JS. It's an awful language, but it's everywhere. Another language that is despised by a lot of people (and rightfully so) is PHP. But it's what pays my bills. And there's a lot freelance jobs online for it.
>>
Not OP but where can I learn JS for free online? I am sick of being neet and want to learn something new.
>>
>>24601080
All of them
If you only know 1-2, you're going to end up as a one trick pony or a code monkey
Learn concepts of programming, and then pick 3-4 to learn one at a time
>>
>>24601411
w3 has whole courses on all kinds of web dev stuff.

>>24601381
I learned a bunch about php and even ajax shit, where do you pick up those jobs?
>>
>>24601080
COBOL

seriously, you can make mad bling maintaining old COBOL codebases from like 1960s or some shit
>>
>>24601411
It depends.

I prefer books over the interactive tutorials or videos, and since I'm a cheap bastard, I usually download for free at: http://it-ebooks.info/

But Codeacademy is quite popular for beginners: https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript
>>
>>24601487
Lol no
Any company that's too cheap to update old 80s-90s code won't want to pay a programmer shit to keep it maintained
>>
>>24601080
Depends on what you want to do. I highly recommend learning both an interpreted scripting language as well as a language that is compiled. For the former I would recommend Python, which is easy to learn but is also extremely useful. For the latter I recommend learning C++, which can be used to do more heavy memory-sensitive work. Learn Python first because it is easier and in demand. Google "Anaconda Python" and download the application, it has everything you need to get stared along with pretty much every module you'll ever need.
>>
>>24601526
apparently like big banks and companies with sensitive data stores in old shitty languages are super hesitant to update, due to the potential financial loss. Those jobs exist but i really doubt the demand is significant
>>
>>24601080
Java, horrible language but big money in it.
>>
>>24601646
what's the issue with java besides it being a huge security hole?
I did some network stuff with it, and it was ok. kept on getting errors about lambda expressions when I was certain i hadn't invoked any, but besides that it was ok.
>>
File: javascript.jpg (71 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
javascript.jpg
71 KB, 700x500
>>24601080
Javascript is a real programming langauge, with plenty of powerful and convenient features... It's just a bit quirky and has a bad reputation due to bad early implementations.

But its insanely popular at the moment, and it has a lot of libraries and frameworks available for it. Plus you can use it on client or server-side now due to things like Node.js.

Anyway, if you want to be a web developer here's a video outlining the skillsets of one, and hopefully giving you a decent direction for study:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA

Also try freecodecamp if you want to learn JS, might find its structure helpful.

But really pick a language and learn it and you can probably get a job with it, even without a CS degree. Javascript, Python, Ruby, PHP, C++, C#, Java (which is different than Javascript, confusing I know). Pick one that you like and go with it.
>>
>>24601460
At first I struggled to pick them mostly at a local freelance websites. But it gets easier as you build a portfolio. Now I have some steady clients.
>>
>>24601411
W3schools.com
>>
>>24601080
Why the fuck did you post a picture of Brett Keane? Are you trying to attack his family?
>>
C# and java script according to my programming teacher
>>
>>24601460
>>24601522
>>24601768
Going to try out W3 and codeacademy. Thanks guys.
>>
>>24601721

Hadoop is written in Java, and Hadoop is the current game-changer in Big Data.
>>
>>24601741
Have you had full time work with web dev? Which do you prefer? I think it's really interesting but I absolutely suck at css, which is probably the most important part to un-educated interviewers.
>>
How long does it actually take to become competent enough at a language to start building a portfolio? Furthest I've dug into learning one is memorizing a bunch of Java expressions over the course of a weekend.
>>
>>24601721
Because Oracle (the company that makes Java) is shit.

You know you see a version number of a program like v2.4.1. those three numbers are called semantic versioning, or semver for short (http://semver.org/).
The number on the right is the patch number, you increment this if you fix stuff
The number in the middle is the minor version number, you increment this if you add features without making anything incompatible
The number on the left is the major version number, if you increment this it means that things made with the previous version will be incompatible.

Well Oracle like to release patches for Java that break things, because they're stupid niggers. So Learn C# instead, Microsoft aren't being fucksticks with it.
>>
>>24601411
https://www.codecademy.com/
http://www.freecodecamp.com/
https://www.khanacademy.org/

w3schools isn't the best. If you want langauge documentation then use Mozilla
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript
>>
>>24601873
depends on your speed, but I guess you could speed all the way from basic stuff to OOP in like 6 months? probably less, but I'm a big dumb so it took me a while.

>>24601881
Thanks for concise answer. I've picked up c# also, so that's good news.
>>
>>24601839
At first I started at a marketing agency. All I did was build websites for local businesses with Wordpress (I hate Wordpress). The job was shit. And the pay was even more of a crap. That's when I started to do freelance work.
>>
Honestly if you focus on learning and understanding fundamental computer science and programming principals, then you'll be able to pick up any language you want relatively quickly.
>>
is that the bread king?
>>
>>24601080
Stop attacking Brett Keane's family OP
>>
C# is a easy next step but will help get you interested in more languages.
>>
Java
C/C++
Python
>>
>>24601080
got for web dev nigger
>>
>>24601080
If you want something niche that will gurrantee you a job somewhere (there will be a few, not a whole lot like just about every other language) and really want to impress people, then assembly. That kind of programming won't be anything someone might consider "fun" though, we're talking really low level stuff like optomizing other people's codes or writing kernels/drivers.
>>
>>24602055
Understanding basic and fundamental CS does not translate to real experience. You can't pick up all fundamental and basic principals then expect it to apply in every situation you encounter.

People do not become talented unless they practice, memorizing a few things doesn't mean anything.
>>
>What is the best programming language to learn in terms of what is most wanted in the job market, specifically the free lance job market

Times New Roman.
>>
>>24602816
I already made that mistake. I spent two years doing side projects in assembly back in uni. I was told it was worthless by every other professor and the rest told me I might find work doing crap for a vending machine company. Working on kernals is something you just dont get to do without suspenders and at least a foot of grey beard.

Now Im doing crap in java. Language sucks but it pays bills and my crippling cardboard addiction.
>>
I did a few lessons on python, i'm used to javascript and the syntax wasn't too far different

what kind of uses can you get out of python? is it mostly used in software ? can it be used in web dev?
>>
>>24604498
yes it's used in web development. learn to use django
>>
File: 1448169720304.jpg (63 KB, 550x448) Image search: [Google]
1448169720304.jpg
63 KB, 550x448
>>24601783
Want to attack his family with me?

On a side note, why do people on 4chan dislike the Amazing Atheist so much? Is it cause he found a way to be a successful euphoric neckbeard?
>>
i've never had a job as a programmer. but you could learn the syntax of all programming languages in the world and not manage to get a job if you're asked to traverse a tree in post-order. so learn algorithms and data structures before you continue learning languages
>>
>>24604769
don't fucking change the subject you cunt. this is a good thread
>>
>>24604825
Damn anon, I was just asking a question.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 259x194
>>24601080
C

One programming language to rule them all.
Learn one, know the basics of all.
You will get the intuitive view to see how assembly language works, without ever learning any assembly language, let alone all of the machine-spesific languages.

It is the least common denominator.
The alpha, the omega.
Python.
Quake.
God.
Linus Torvalds.
>>
>>24604941
>You will get the intuitive view to see how assembly language works, without ever learning any assembly language, let alone all of the machine-spesific languages.

this really reads as if you've never programmed using an assembly language, because moving things from memory to registers and vice versa and using machine specific instructions feels nothing like programming in c
>>
>>24602970
Probably sounded more funny in your head. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>24601721
Anon, there are two types of languages, the ones that everyone bitches about and the ones that nobody uses.
>>
File: 1442013901727.png (23 KB, 489x423) Image search: [Google]
1442013901727.png
23 KB, 489x423
>>24605444
Dude, I know.
I am drunk as fuck taxidriver straight outta 13,5h nightshift, who still thinks he will finish that cs/physics degree.

85% bs 15 skill. I have never done x86 assembly programming, but I will, even if it is the last thing I will do.

Excuse me now, I will have to change into sweatpants to run (I mean literally run in the motherfucking rain) into the nearest macdonalds to buy 3 meals, because the local foodstrore don't open until 2 hours from now.

Thank you for the weekly dose of human interaction, even if it came through troll.

If you want, I will reply in 45 mins after my McD run is done if i didn't suffer heart attack.
>>
unreal engine
>>
>>24603661
>I was told it was worthless by every other professor
It's actually kind of funny, they're only doing that to shill ool's and to discourage people from assembly. What's even funnier is that ool's were meant to aid people with mid-level langauges which were meant to aid people who couldn't into assembly. People who are using languages like c++ are using crutches for crutches.
>>
>>24601526

Anyone still running something built on COBOL or Ada is never going to update, and more than willing to throw 150k starting to anyone that is still alive and knows the language. It's either that or pay several million to get a new system running.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.