[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the Internet like in 2005?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: XP-Logo.png (245 KB, 999x799) Image search: [Google]
XP-Logo.png
245 KB, 999x799
What was the Internet like in 2005?
>>
>>24598391
Were you not there?
>>
>normalfags still thought the Internet were weirdos, although that was starting to change by '05
>actual communities with intelligent conversations
>no need for boards like r9k since we were accepted most places
>>
>>24598454
I was 8, I didn't start to really use it until age 11.
>>
I just remember playing a lot of Ragnarok Online.

'twas good times
>>
I played games on the Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network websites and watched alot of Sonic and Mario clips. thats about it
>>
>>24598391
Better. And it got increasingly better the farther back in time you go, especially when you go far back enough that it didn't exist.

Any form of social media, or soapbox-type websites, are only beneficial when used for professional or otherwise real-world goals, and looked at with a critical eye (sorting out the helpful chums telling you to save a load of money on bath bubbles by mixing bleach and ammonia.) Unfortunately, the majority of users are adopting this disturbing trend of "I read it on the internet and want it to be true, therefore it is true," coupled with the disturbing idea that it's totally ok to substitute social activities with WoW quests and LoL fapping.
>>
>>24598391
Maplestory, Runescape, AdventureQuest. I was 9. Good times.
>>
File: every day.jpg (96 KB, 498x445) Image search: [Google]
every day.jpg
96 KB, 498x445
>>24598973
>Runescape
Far too many hours sunk into that game. Thank god membership was only $5/mo, at the time it seemed like a heavy sacrifice but I don't think I sunk even $100 into that game. Probably cost me, altogether, less than some of the newer games' purchase cost alone.

God that game was addictive, don't even know why either, it sucked on all fronts.
>>
>>24598391
I was in undergrad at the time.
Livejournal and Myspace were still cool. Deviantart wasn't cool, but it was around.
I think 2005 or 2004 is when my school got Facebook (back then it opened up to different colleges school by school, and kids mostly used it to find parties). Back then it was still called The Facebook.
Wikipedia was around, and I remember looking up some stuff for school papers on it.
OK Cupid was around. I never actually used it for anything but I did have an account.
Only a few years prior I was at home getting online via AOL and using AIM to talk to friends. In 2005...I was actually probably still using AIM.
There was no internet on cell phones. At least, none of my friends or I had internet on our phones. Flip phones were still cool.
It would be 2 more years until I ever went to 4chan.
>>
I remember it being so...like a niche thing.Not too many normies,flash games were good by the current standards but shit by today's standards.It felt,unique and gold in a way that's truly gone down the shitter thanks to normies and phones.Just,I think in general it was better when you knew everyone was on a computer and not some tablet or a phone in my opinion.
>>
>>24598391
I remember playing Warcraft 3 back then, and looking at BNet's delay for this game, I can't believe I even had fun with that delay. Apart from gaming it was just pretty slow and streams were obviously not existing or even possible.
>>
>>24598509
>>24598973
>tfw I was already 16 in 2005
God damn, as if I didn't feel old enough already.
>>
>>24598391
Addicting, but slower.
>>
>>24599569
But did it feel better,besides the delays than today?
>>
i'd say the mid to late 00s was when the internet went to shit with social media and all that normie garbage

there wasn't much to do other than play counter strike or go on some forum
>>
>>24599621
I was 20 in 2005

I wanted to be like

>>24598391
>Hey now you have to be 18 and older to post here

but realized that OP is 21

Anyways, enough feeling old.

OP, the short answer is myspace, myspace and myspace

There wasn't one site for everything like there is now. If you wanted to watch any sort of videos there was literally dozens of places to do so instead of just going to youtube, if you wanted to meet people online you had dozens of different pseudo-dating websites and myspace was the king of the mountain for those.

Imagine facebook, but with customizable html layouts, which meant that every page was absolutely splattered with sparkling gifs and autoplay videos and ads for toolbars everywher. Scrolling past down to someone's wall crashed just about any browser of any top-notch computer at the time.

>>24598490
>normalfags still thought the Internet were weirdos, although that was starting to change by '05

nah not really, I remember even by 2002 there were plenty of normie teens trying to hook up with each other on MSN chatrooms and writing blogs in livejournal and using ICQ or MSN messenger as a way to text each other before cell phones were really a thing.

>>24599668
>not being on newgrounds or albinoblacksheep or ebaumsworld to take in all of the Flash glory.
>>
File: 1427067126864.gif (476 KB, 450x282) Image search: [Google]
1427067126864.gif
476 KB, 450x282
>>24599059
>tfw when dial up cuts out and you loose all your stuff.
>>
>>24600113
>nah not really, I remember even by 2002 there were plenty of normie teens trying to hook up with each other
This. Normies already thought they were hot shit for knowing what lol means back then and chatted via ICQ or MSN. Also, I remember 1337-speak being popular and annoying as fuck in those days. Not to mention the excessive use of emoticons.

Still, I can't deny that online gaming felt more exclusive to nerds than it does now (although it was already changing at that time). I know that's circlejerking and nostalgiafagging, but I liked it that way.
>>
>>24600367
yeah definitely online gaming was the one thing that took much longer for normies to break into. Mostly really because the PS3 and Xbox 360 with their call of duties were still years away.
>>
>>24600113
fuck, myspace was '05

shit was stupid back then, sometimes cool
>>
>>24600624
barely, it was already collapsing onto itself and dying in 05 when it stopped being about people connecting and became about shitty bands promoting themselves.

I remember joining facebook around early 2007 or late 2006 (and quit in 2012 and never went back)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.